Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

[quote name="Deader2818" post="11801641" timestamp="1401472963"]Titanfall was the best selling game last month and that was due to the huge install base of the 360. Game isnt doing well for X1 like they had hoped but its doing very well for 360.[/quote] I wonder if it would provide any additional One sales or copies of the game if they offered an upgrade program like for Battlefield and Call of Duty.

I don't know if it was in that article as well, but I also believe Respawn mentioned that Sony wouldn't provide dedicated servers and Microsoft would.
That goes without saying. One of Microsoft's big initiatives with the XBox One is their cloud support. If your game is reliant on that kind of technology, the XBox One is going to be a no-brainer. Sony has always let developers sort on-line server support out for themselves. They've never really tried to manage or provide multiplayer servers for their development partners.

You could say this scenario is a bit of a toss-up. On the one hand, developers have greater freedom with Sony. But they also have more built-in on-line multiplayer support with Microsoft. It all depends on what the developers are looking for, and what type of game they are trying to make. With Titanfall, Microsoft's on-line support is a major selling point, and helps to explain why they decided to go in that direction.

It's entirely possible that we will start to see a division between on-line focused games and single-player focused game between these two consoles.

EA will certainly make another Titanfall game if for no other reason than to compete with Activision/Destiny. I wouldn't put too much weight on last month's sales figures as they were putrid for the industry at large. No single X1/PS4 title sold more than 100K. No console moved more that 200K.  

Titanfall was not the blockbuster title Microsoft needed/wanted but it certainly was successful enough to warrant a sequel. If nothing else, Microsoft might fund a sequel down the road if it needs an exclusive. 

That goes without saying. One of Microsoft's big initiatives with the XBox One is their cloud support. If your game is reliant on that kind of technology, the XBox One is going to be a no-brainer. Sony has always let developers sort on-line server support out for themselves. They've never really tried to manage or provide multiplayer servers for their development partners.

You could say this scenario is a bit of a toss-up. On the one hand, developers have greater freedom with Sony. But they also have more built-in on-line multiplayer support with Microsoft. It all depends on what the developers are looking for, and what type of game they are trying to make. With Titanfall, Microsoft's on-line support is a major selling point, and helps to explain why they decided to go in that direction.

It's entirely possible that we will start to see a division between on-line focused games and single-player focused game between these two consoles.
You really think that publishers would avoid putting their multiplayer games on the console with the bigger install base? Should publishers that want to make the best-looking games stop making them for Xbox One? It's a silly idea either way.

You really think that publishers would avoid putting their multiplayer games on the console with the bigger install base? Should publishers that want to make the best-looking games stop making them for Xbox One? It's a silly idea either way.
No, I don't think publishers would do that.

But I think developers would. And publishers are becoming increasingly less relevant with the direction the industry is taking. Titanfall almost didn't happen because EA was leery of it. So Respawn talked to Microsoft, and managed to make a deal.

The value of publishers in the development scene is rapidly dwindling. In the next few years, it will be increasingly common for exclusive deals to come from the console holders talking to developers directly.

The Azure servers are what makes Titanfall Titanfall. I play games that don't utilize this afterwards, ex NFS: Rivals & Watch Dogs, and just like you're shocked to see the words buffering while streaming a video now and days the words host migration does the same thing to me now.

We get it guys. Xbox One is a massive failure. Titanfall on Xbox One is a massive failure. The numeral One is a massive failure.

We get it guys. Xbox One is a massive failure. Titanfall on Xbox One is a massive failure. The numeral One is a massive failure.
That's actually not the point I'm making. I have no issue with Titanfall. I suspect it will continue to sell pretty well, and have longer legs than a lot of other games. I think it will be a go-to title to pick up this holiday season, and that X1 system sales will pick up significantly as the holidays approach.

Microsoft is taking significant steps to correct the flawed initial direction of the X1. And they do have some significant advantages that will help to keep the X1 a viable console. (such as the cloud support for developers) There are certain types of games, like Titanfall, that will probably always be better on Microsoft platforms because of this.

At this point, Microsoft needs to lean into their potential on-line advantage. If the X1 is to be the go-to on-line multiplayer system, then so be it. I expect that at E3 they will announce a slew of on-line focused titles, from all areas of the development community. I also think they will have a much stronger indie showing this year, and that many of those indie games will have a strong on-line focus as well.

Sony can't match Microsoft's on-line support without a massive investment, which Sony is in no position to make. It's a clear advantage not just in terms of technical support, but in game design itself. Microsoft would be wise to make it the central support of the X1 going forward.

No, I don't think publishers would do that.

But I think developers would. And publishers are becoming increasingly less relevant with the direction the industry is taking. Titanfall almost didn't happen because EA was leery of it. So Respawn talked to Microsoft, and managed to make a deal.

The value of publishers in the development scene is rapidly dwindling. In the next few years, it will be increasingly common for exclusive deals to come from the console holders talking to developers directly.
Now you're saying that there will be developers that will sign publishing deals with Microsoft? That's far less crazy than saying anybody making a multiplayer game will only make it for Xbox One.

I don't agree with your claims of the importance of cloud stuff for gaming since Microsoft has barely made a case for it with just Forza and Titanfall being the main posterboys for it. Forza managed to use it to make an annoying single-player experience, from what I've heard, so I'd need to see more uniform support of Microsoft's cloud stuff to believe that it's such an important thing instead of something that can have useful applications once in a while.

Now you're saying that there will be developers that will sign publishing deals with Microsoft? That's far less crazy than saying anybody making a multiplayer game will only make it for Xbox One.

I don't agree with your claims of the importance of cloud stuff for gaming since Microsoft has barely made a case for it with just Forza and Titanfall being the main posterboys for it. Forza managed to use it to make an annoying single-player experience, from what I've heard, so I'd need to see more uniform support of Microsoft's cloud stuff to believe that it's such an important thing instead of something that can have useful applications once in a while.
I know it wasn't initially marketed as such (thanks mattrick..) but I think the greatest use of Azure is not for what gamers see but what devs are capable of doing. Azure allows for a lot of automation while managing servers. It also allows for easy scaling i.e. when a game requires more servers for a large population playing, more servers can be set up almost instantly. If less servers are needed than the servers can be "destroyed". A great thing about that is the dev/pub only pays for the resources they need.

From what you've heard? So at this point it's just hear say for you.

The AI in Forza 5 are not "AI". They are behavioral friends and followers that race against you. Why is it annoying, because friends and followers are bumping into you? I tend to race clean and so do my friends so I haven't had the extreme issues that float around on the unternet. It's actually an enjoyable social way of driving by yourself.

The dynamic information that goes into the system and how we gain from it is apparent with Forza and Titanfall. Fluid and dynamic outcomes result in using this cloud boosted system.

Some extra reading, there's a video showing the difference in physics with a local render and a cloud rendering ecosystem.
http://www.developer-tech.com/news/2014/may/20/cloudgine-microsofts-secret-xbox-one-sauce/

It also allows for easy scaling i.e. when a game requires more servers for a large population playing, more servers can be set up almost instantly. If less servers are needed than the servers can be "destroyed". A great thing about that is the dev/pub only pays for the resources they need.
yeah. I read an interview from a developer saying that with a normal game launch, they have to purchase a large amount of servers and they usually have too many so they end up paying alot for servers they don't even use. Another scenario is smaller games that would normally shut down their servers after a few years when they can't afford to pay and only a few people are playing. Azure would just allow them to spin up the needed servers anytime someone started a match.

Obviously it would rely on devs choosing to use Azure for their servers but I think it's a cool thing.

I know it wasn't initially marketed as such (thanks mattrick..) but I think the greatest use of Azure is not for what gamers see but what devs are capable of doing. Azure allows for a lot of automation while managing servers. It also allows for easy scaling i.e. when a game requires more servers for a large population playing, more servers can be set up almost instantly. If less servers are needed than the servers can be "destroyed". A great thing about that is the dev/pub only pays for the resources they need.
I get the server stuff since that's pretty simple in concept, but everybody on the Xbox team talked about how much the cloud was going to make the games look so much better and have better AI and this other BS that so far hasn't really appeared because it was either a lie or hyperbole. Forza and Titanfall at least start to make a case for that not being a complete lie, but they need more developers to utilize it if there are some actually useful benefits for the gameplay parts of these games.

From what you've heard? So at this point it's just hear say for you.

The AI in Forza 5 are not "AI". They are behavioral friends and followers that race against you. Why is it annoying, because friends and followers are bumping into you? I tend to race clean and so do my friends so I haven't had the extreme issues that float around on the unternet. It's actually an enjoyable social way of driving by yourself.

The dynamic information that goes into the system and how we gain from it is apparent with Forza and Titanfall. Fluid and dynamic outcomes result in using this cloud boosted system.

Some extra reading, there's a video showing the difference in physics with a local render and a cloud rendering ecosystem.
http://www.developer-tech.com/news/2014/may/20/cloudgine-microsofts-secret-xbox-one-sauce/
Yes, that's the point of using the phrase "from what I've heard." The notion that a single-player racing game can have multiplayer AI that acts like typical multiplayer jerks that barrel into turns, bumping off of opponents instead of braking, and all that is not what I'd want to see in racing games and I'd hope that that's not the case if I ever get the game.

Yes, that's the point of using the phrase "from what I've heard." The notion that a single-player racing game can have multiplayer AI that acts like typical multiplayer jerks that barrel into turns, bumping off of opponents instead of braking, and all that is not what I'd want to see in racing games and I'd hope that that's not the case if I ever get the game.
Well that just isn't the case with my playing experience. Get better friends if that happens to you or unfollow them lol.

With the video in that link, imagine Crackdown 3 using this (a franchise that often had outstanding draw distances but took a drop in frame rate when multiple explosions going off) and now a shared world in the city. Maybe something like seeing other players in NFS: Rivals.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name="FriskyTanuki" post="11802155" timestamp="1401482934"]I get the server stuff since that's pretty simple in concept, but everybody on the Xbox team talked about how much the cloud was going to make the games look so much better and have better AI and this other BS that so far hasn't really appeared because it was either a lie or hyperbole. Forza and Titanfall at least start to make a case for that not being a complete lie, but they need more developers to utilize it if there are some actually useful benefits for the gameplay parts of these games.

Yes, that's the point of using the phrase "from what I've heard." The notion that a single-player racing game can have multiplayer AI that acts like typical multiplayer jerks that barrel into turns, bumping off of opponents instead of braking, and all that is not what I'd want to see in racing games and I'd hope that that's not the case if I ever get the game.[/quote]
There is a problem with what they discussed with the cloud. I'm not saying this would work great because I see latency causing issues, but one of the bullet points was cloud computing to help improve things. Now that they had to drop the always online requirement they can't really rely on cloud computing to boost any of the processing.

From what I read from others that seem to understand the technology better, a lot of people feel like the cloud process is not going to be that big of a deal in the end.

Here's my Worms Battlegrounds review. A bit pricey, but it won't disappoint Worms fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72ovOQGseYg

Didn't have time to record and edit a full video review, so this is simply a bit of gameplay from the first level.

From what I read from others that seem to understand the technology better, a lot of people feel like the cloud process is not going to be that big of a deal in the end.
Sadly I see this also. Mainly due to the fact that if the game is not exclisive then the Dev would have to design it to utilize Azure server processing and then design it to not use it for PS4.

It will be like the kinect. Immense possibilities but nuetered by it not being universal. I could see it being extremely useful and powerful like Gaikai has demenstrated. Weird since Sony acquired Gaikai, but you get the gist of it.

^were you the guy that wanted the discrete commands for xbox on/off? I noticed in the june preview update you can now choose if you want it to send an on/off/toggle/nothing signal for each device now.

^were you the guy that wanted the discrete commands for xbox on/off? I noticed in the june preview update you can now choose if you want it to send an on/off/toggle/nothing signal for each device now.
If by that you mean I wanted to be able to say "TV ON" and "TV OFF" then yes. I suggested it on their boards months ago as it seams so simple to blast it to the TV. Would make it so easy to say "XBOX ON" then when it turned on to say "TV ON". They did have a feature to auto turn TV on when XBOX came on, but it was a band aid as it just sent a signal that was essentially just hitting the power button. IE if the TV was already on ot would shut it off.

So many small things they overlooked at launch that could make this console a powerhouse of casual viewing. They are all getting implemented now, but they should have been there at launch.

I can't tell you how often I love the "XBOX ON, go to Netflix, Select, Select 1" feature as I have 3 kids and I can appease one by turning Netflix on while doing 2 other things. Yes it's something I could simply do with a controller, but with 3 small kids my controllers are strategically placed where they can't get to them, meaning an inconvenience for me. Or having to track down controllers as they kids hid them somewhere.

Funny how saving me a few steps and less than a minute of my time seems so helpful.

Also its so cute to hear my 2 year old running around saying "xbox I want to watch a show" or "xbox go to red" (she calls Netflix red as it goes to that red screen when booting).

these are the options for it now:

VPdFcrTl.jpg

I think a better option would be to have a command for just turning the Xbox off, like keeping that "Xbox Off"  and when you want to have it turn everything off something like "Everything Off" or "Power Down."  Because I like when it turns everything off when wrapping up for the night, but I hate when I want to play another console and it powers down everything even though I just want the Xbox off if that makes sense. 

I think a better option would be to have a command for just turning the Xbox off, like keeping that "Xbox Off" and when you want to have it turn everything off something like "Everything Off" or "Power Down." Because I like when it turns everything off when wrapping up for the night, but I hate when I want to play another console and it powers down everything even though I just want the Xbox off if that makes sense.
yeah that would be great and it sucks when i want to watch tv ( i don't use hdmi in for tv) i have to use controller to turn xbox off so it don't turn my tv/cable box off.

Anyone planning on getting Murdered Soul Suspect this week? Being a big fan of Alan Wake, this one looks to have that spooky vibe to it. Not sure I can justify $60 on it, but I think it looks kinda good.

Finally bought a Xbox one. Somebody told me I should just buy the ps Gold Headset since I plan on getting a ps4 also. What do you guys think? How well does it work on the Xbox?

Finally bought a Xbox one. Somebody told me I should just buy the ps Gold Headset since I plan on getting a ps4 also. What do you guys think? How well does it work on the Xbox?
I've heard it works really well and it's definitely a bonus not having to buy two separate headsets. Just make sure you note that you'll need to plug it into a headset adapter so it won't be fully wireless, and it requires power so it'll drain the controller battery while in use.

Just got a 3TB External Drive from Target with some credit I got from flipping. Unfortunately it's an older 5400RPM one but that's still better than paying $100+ cash over credit. Just need to wait until I receive the update now.

Anyone planning on getting Murdered Soul Suspect this week? Being a big fan of Alan Wake, this one looks to have that spooky vibe to it. Not sure I can justify $60 on it, but I think it looks kinda good.
I'm tempted since I have Best Buy credit to use and it'll end up being $40 after GCU and the $10 they give you. It certainly looks unique gameplay wise, and I figure worst case I'm sure it'll trade for $30 for awhile.

Here's my Worms Battlegrounds review. A bit pricey, but it won't disappoint Worms fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72ovOQGseYg

Didn't have time to record and edit a full video review, so this is simply a bit of gameplay from the first level.
Thanks for the review. Is it true the characters move at a 30FPS but the game itself is 60fps? Though I read that on GAF. Sounds a bit odd.

Either way no way I'm paying $25. Call me when It's $5 or *maybe* $10. Or free with GWG ;)

Thanks for the review. Is it true the characters move at a 30FPS but the game itself is 60fps? Though I read that on GAF. Sounds a bit odd.

Either way no way I'm paying $25. Call me when It's $5 or *maybe* $10. Or free with GWG ;)
Appreciate you reading it! :) I haven't noticed anything like that frame rate thing, but that would also be total nitpicking.

$25 is expensive, but $5 is totally undervaluing the game.

Gosh I feel like a dofus. Ever since I started playing Watch Dogs I've been wishing Xbox Record That would take longer then 30 second videos so I could stop missing so many great moments, and I was thinking how I could have sworn there was a way to change that.

Low and behold as I was rewatching some Xbox Youtube videos I suddenly remember the Game DVR feature.  :dunce:

Gosh I feel like a dofus. Ever since I started playing Watch Dogs I've been wishing Xbox Record That would take longer then 30 second videos so I could stop missing so many great moments, and I was thinking how I could have sworn there was a way to change that.

Low and behold as I was rewatching some Xbox Youtube videos I suddenly remember the Game DVR feature. :dunce:
The issue with that is you have to pause your game (or just stand there), go into the game DVR, select your options . . .

I'm really hoping Microsoft takes my Smartglass request to heart. I asked them to fix that long process by making shortcut keys to record past x amount of time on the fly. Would've saved me a lot of grief on multiplayer games if they had it to begin with.

Yeah I've been snapping Game DVR, after the cool stuff happens, a lot more recently as that's the only way to get it but it would be nice to adjust the default time for that feature.

I totally forgot about game DVR. I had kind of given up on recording after "Xbox record that" didn't work a couple times with titanfall. I'll have to find a YouTube vid to walk me through how to use these features.

Day one!!! However, I'm really surprised its a crossed gen game.
I am disappointed that it is cross-gen, GAF appears to be going crazy over it, but there is no way you abandon 80+ million users. Hopefully by 2015 the industry will have moved past cross-gen.

Kind of disappointed it's cross-gen but not too long ago a lot of people (Not specifically on this site) were complaining about how Microsoft would just drop the Xbox 360 and not support it anymore. That being said it's good to see them releasing more games for it.

It's a first party title so I'm sure it'll look fantastic on the Xbox One compared to the Xbox 360.

well lets hope this homefront is better. i was with a friend trading in tons of 360 stuff to gamestop last week after he got a xbox one. He had home front and they no longer take that game. At first the guy was like well we don't take this game anymore because they were told it sucks and no one wants it. we were thinking he was joking then another worker walked up and said yeah pretty much awhile ago corporate told the store to stop taking the game and destroy all other copy they had in store.

bread's done
Back