Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

I'm excited that it's open world, if it ends up being like FarCry with a future urban setting, it could be a real hit in my opinion.

I am disappointed that it is cross-gen, GAF appears to be going crazy over it, but there is no way you abandon 80+ million users. Hopefully by 2015 the industry will have moved past cross-gen.
Exactly, there is no way you abandon 80+ million users. I really don't understand how 97% of gaf does not understand that basic business principle. I've also heard some of the people in the Xbox division state they aren't going to just forgot about the 360 and its users. My guess is that we will still have cross gen well into 2015.

If you want those 80 million users to upgrade to your latest hardware then you have to abandon them sooner than later. And if anything Titanfall proved to sell better on the Xbox One then on the 360 with only about 5% the installed base.  So I don't think the installed base argument is valid.  I think Forza Horizon 2 being cross gen is more akin to how poorly Forza 5 sold than any other factor.

The real potential of XBox One's cloud support is not in games and genres that already exist. There is some bolstering that can happen there, but it is mainly just a bonus. The potential will be fully realized by more experimental design that has yet to happen.

This is why Microsoft's stronger push to open things up for indie developers is so important. One of Sony's big wins over the past few years has been their strong support and courting of the indie gaming scene. Now they are regularly getting some of the biggest and best indie games on all of their systems.

A lot of indie titles tend to focus on single-player experiences. This is more a function of cost than preference. There are plenty of indie developers who would love to work on on-line multiplayer titles. But multiplayer servers are costly to create and maintain. Many of them have to scrap such plans due to the expense.

Microsoft has a real opportunity to snatch up a lot of indie talent thanks to their big cloud-server push. With a publisher and platform holder like Microsoft picking up the tab for the servers, a lot of small indies would be able to afford to produce on-line multiplayer titles. They wouldn't be able to get that level of support anywhere else. If Microsoft plays their cards right, they could make the XBox One the go-to platform for indie on-line multiplayer titles.

And the more experimental leanings of the indie dev scene will lead to new approaches to on-line gameplay. We'll see new genres emerge, gameplay experiments that could only happen with the type of cloud server support that Microsoft is providing. Once some of these concepts start gaining in popularity, the major publishers will race to produce their own versions with bigger budgets and more polish.

If you want those 80 million users to upgrade to your latest hardware then you have to abandon them sooner than later. And if anything Titanfall proved to sell better on the Xbox One then on the 360 with only about 5% the installed base. So I don't think the installed base argument is valid. I think Forza Horizon 2 being cross gen is more akin to how poorly Forza 5 sold than any other factor.
Forza Horizon was nowhere as popular as Forza 4 on the X360 and the sales figures back this up. So, any additional sales Microsoft can get from FH2 being cross-gen is a positive. My guess is that the game started out on the 360 prior to it being upgraded to X1. Thus, it makes sense for it to be cross-gen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh I just saw what Cobra said what IGN mentioned on the XBL deals thread:
"'UPDATE: To clarify, the Playground Games is developing solely for the Xbox One version, using Forza Motorsport 5's graphics engine as a baseline. The Xbox 360 version is being handled separately by Sumo Digital, using Forza Horizon 1's graphics engine as a baseline.'"

Well there yah go!

"'UPDATE: To clarify, the Playground Games is developing solely for the Xbox One version, using Forza Motorsport 5's graphics engine as a baseline. The Xbox 360 version is being handled separately by Sumo Digital, using Forza Horizon 1's graphics engine as a baseline.'"

Well there yah go!
Yeah it sounds like both versions are being built from the ground up. The fm5 engine with a weather system sounds awesome

Sumo does amazing work with Sonic Racing All Stars, so I expect the same with Forza Horizon so 360 users are in for a fucking treat.

That said, I'd still rather get the X1 version for obvious reasons. I don't mind Cross Gen because it shuts those up that constantly bitch about Microsoft abandoning the 360 when FH2 comes out along with the previous Fable Anniversary that was 360 only despite my port begging for the X1.

Appreciate you reading it! :) I haven't noticed anything like that frame rate thing, but that would also be total nitpicking.

$25 is expensive, but $5 is totally undervaluing the game.
Thanks. Eh, I'm going to spend $600+ between Sept-Dec so I'm willing to blow my load on certain things. I'd agree that $15 is a much better price.

Thanks. Eh, I'm going to spend $600+ between Sept-Dec so I'm willing to blow my load on certain things. I'd agree that $15 is a much better price.
Dang, is that straight games or are you picking up a console too?

Dang, is that straight games or are you picking up a console too?
Straight games. I've spent very little this year, and the holiday is jam packed.

BTW speaking of Fable Anniversary, a PC edition through steam is in the works according to MS as of this teaser, so I'm sure a X1 port is not that hard to do if they really want to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyEFPhXa05c&feature=youtu.be

Well there yah go!
Great news for X1 owners.

Straight games. I've spent very little this year, and the holiday is jam packed.

BTW speaking of Fable Anniversary, a PC edition through steam is in the works according to MS as of this teaser, so I'm sure a X1 port is not that hard to do if they really want to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyEFPhXa05c&feature=youtu.be
That's awesome, man! I'm not sure how much I am going to drop this fall/winter but yeah it's going to be rough. I actually picked up the best buy gamers club unlocked the other day so I could save a little money.

There are plenty of indie developers who would love to work on on-line multiplayer titles. But multiplayer servers are costly to create and maintain.
You know, online is a word so there's no reason at all to type on-line as if the compound word didn't exist. Same goes for email.

Sumo does amazing work with Sonic Racing All Stars, so I expect the same with Forza Horizon so 360 users are in for a fucking treat.
The only thing Sumo Digital can't do well is balance difficulty. Sonic All-Stars gets stupidly hard at some points, especially considering that the Sonic series is supposed to have all-ages appeal.

Anyone ever have trouble with a game's update? Even though I never play Ghosts there's an update that starts at 99% then goes to error. What do I do? Delete and reinstall everything?

Wow, so It's going to be hard to covince my friends to jump on a X1 this year. Next year you have: Batman, Quantum Break, Homefront 2, Witcher 3 and The Division that are next gen/PC only and won't be out till next year.

So far only have (well excluding E3 announcements) EA Sports UFC, Evolve, Assassin's Creed Unity, Sunset Overdrive that won't be available for cross-gen. Correct me if im wrong.

Could have safely stayed last-gen.. yup, lesson learned: wait at least a year next time, assuming we have another console generation. At least I haven't picked up a PS4 yet, too.

Grrrr....

Could have safely stayed last-gen.. yup, lesson learned: wait at least a year next time, assuming we have another console generation. At least I haven't picked up a PS4 yet, too.

Grrrr....
Folks say this all the time but in reality you get to use and enjoy the console for a whole year. Is that time spent playing next gen games not worth it? I know saving a few dollars is nice (we are all CAGs afterall) but there is something to be said about playing on a next gen console from the onset. Just my two cents.

I'm also pretty bummed out that Arkham Knight was pushed back but it is not as though there won't be plenty of games to play this fall. That said, I think the industry could benefit from releasing more games in the summer instead of holding everything back until the fall/holiday season.

Folks say this all the time but in reality you get to use and enjoy the console for a whole year. Is that time spent playing next gen games not worth it? I know saving a few dollars is nice (we are all CAGs afterall) but there is something to be said about playing on a next gen console from the onset. Just my two cents.
Yeah, it's a childish complaint. Unless somebody has super narrow taste in games, in which case maybe they really can't find anything to play until the hugest titles roll out... But I mean, it sucks to only like a few specific types of games anyway.

I've not regretted owning the PS4 since day 1 since there hasn't really been a deal that has come along that makes me regret the purchase.  The Xbox One however I really wished I had waited for the Titanfall / Forza / year of live $400 bundle that happened back in March.  Had I got on that I would have zero regrets, but hey I got a day one controller and a day 1 achievement so there's that I guess. haha

Yeah, it's a childish complaint. Unless somebody has super narrow taste in games, in which case maybe they really can't find anything to play until the hugest titles roll out... But I mean, it sucks to only like a few specific types of games anyway.
Call it what you will, but that's a very narrow, offensive and - dare I say - childish opinion to call it childish. It's called being fiscally responsible, by putting money towards things of greater import and value.

Making the assessment that it'd be smart for ME to wait is MY opinion and hardly a complaint; there is plenty last-gen to play, and plenty from way before that, too. Could just as easily enjoy previous gen stuff. I love me some Dead Rising 3, but waiting a year is no great loss. If you're going to disvalue and attempt to attack me because my opinion doesn't align with yours, there is a good place for you to stick it.

Argument that I/we can enjoy the console for a year is quite flat when most of the best titles slated for this year have been pushed back to 2015. The resolution bump isn't that big of a deal and is frequently non-existent.

Mordor may be the breakout title, in this sense, as the X1 version is said to include the Nemesis system in a way the 360 can't (or doesn't). So, at least there is something - for me (and others of like mind) - to look forward to. THIS year.

Guys, I *LOVE* my X1. I am just stating it will be harder to get people to jump on the X1/PS4 bandwagon if games are out on the older systems as well. MS is not helping by making Forza Horizon cross gen, but they obviously believe a lot of people are going to wait till 2015+ before they get a new system. I think the graphical upgrades and next gen enhancements are worth it. I'd kill for a 60fps/1080p Dark Souls 2 on the X1.

i got my money worth so far with games like dr3/forza 5/titanfall and playing the better versions of bf4/ac4/madden/nba 2k14/watch dogs.

My mind a mistake at this point would be owning both next gen systems seeing both systems really don't have system only games worth own both for yet. 

i got my money worth so far with games like dr3/forza 5/titanfall and playing the better versions of bf4/ac4/madden/nba 2k14/watch dogs.

My mind a mistake at this point would be owning both next gen systems seeing both systems really don't have system only games worth own both for yet.
Agreed to a certain extent, about owning both PS4 and X1, but you can walk into GS today and trade in your PS4 and recoup almost all of your initial investment.

I honestly don't think owning both an X1 and PS4 will be worthwhile to many people this generation period. Just the hardcore gamers that HAVE to play every great game and can't miss the first party exclusives.

For the average gamer, there are too many games to keep up with on either platform--much less both--and the vast majority of exclusives have plenty of games in that genre/style on both platforms anyway.

Now that third party exclusives are pretty much a thing of the past beyond some timed exclusivity or a little extra content here and there, I just see no reason to own more than one console. Well, I guess a Wii U is a nice complement to either for people who like Nintendo games.

with gaming being one of my main hobbies i could not see my self limit me on games i can play which is why i had every system last gen/pc for gaming and at some point will have all systems this gen. i just feel as a gamer i would lose out on some great games if i did not have all systems.

For sure--like I said, it makes sense for hardcore gamers. For more casual gamers like me it's just not worth it. I can't even come close to playing all the games on a single platform that interest me as I just don't have the time/interest between work, life and other hobbies I enjoy more than gaming.

And it makes even less sense for the even more casual gamers that just buy CoD, Madden and a couple other big releases each year.

Shouldn't it be financial or financially? But games are for entertainment and yes for some people you need video games to live as it provides you financial income especially if you have a job in this multi-billion dollar entertainment industry.

lol at fiscal responsibility. Why do you game at all? Buying games is not fiscally responsible at all. You don't need video games to live.
Well this is CAG--a site that revolves around getting games a cheaply as possible. Buying a console at launch and buying games at $60 the first several months as nothing much is on sale isn't very fitting with the purpose of the site. One can still be fiscally responsible with their leisure income spending by hunting for deals on their hobbies, eating etc. etc.

Granted, I did (well, I didn't get a console to march, but still paid full price) but I'm not here for the deals anymore since I'm not a broke student like I was when I first found the site.

oh so buying 20 15 dollar games is responsible? Quite a few people on this site have massive backlogs and while they did get the games on sale, most backlogs keep growing and growing. You don't have to buy something just cause its on sale. it will be just as cheap or cheaper when you actually decide to play the game a year or two down the line. I got an excellent deal on my xbox one and plus I was coming off a much needed break from gaming.

Agree on that for sure. A lot of people on here are just hoarders rather than people truly trying to be financially responsible and only buy games they'll play in the near future as cheaply as possible.

I rarely look at the deals forum anymore. I just buy games when I want to play them immediately and don't care what the price is really. I tend to sell after beating for $10-15 less than I paid for the game regardless of whether I buy it day 1 for $60 (and sell for $40-50) or later on for $30ish (and sell for $15-20). Ends up being about the same out of pocket after re-selling, so deals are pretty moot for people who aren't buying games to collect.

Delayed? Good, I think I can find enough here to keep me satisfied in 2014.

minecraft
diablo III
Madden
Sherlock Holmes
Destiny
Mad max?
Skylanders
Alien Isolation
Dragon Aga
Shadow of Mordor
Evolve
COD
Far Cry 4
Fantasia?
Sunset Overdrive
Forza Horizon 2
Halo something something pack (maybe)
Assassin's Creed
The Crew
Battlefield Hardline

Plus any others that I am forgetting, getting announced at E3, and indie titles.

Yeah, I don't mind all the delays. I tend to have less gaming time in the fall so I doubt I'll play much more than Destiny and Dragon Age Inquisition this fall anyway as far as retail releases go.

I agree, it's normal to see some games delay after the crazy, always packed, holiday season. I'm glad Batman and the Witcher 3 are delayed, both are def two I'm looking forward to the most and Day 1 buys for me. Can't wait to play Dragon Age Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Crew, Halo and Far Cry 4 this fall. Destiny too if it reviews well. Then all the shit I will ultimately pick up from BF lol.

I have to say I don't really care that Batman was delayed. There are way too many games I want to be buying this Fall season anyway, I'm already up to 9 and a half pre-orders and that's not including any of the new games announced at E3.

I have to say I don't really care that Batman was delayed. There are way too many games I want to be buying this Fall season anyway, I'm already up to 9 and a half pre-orders and that's not including any of the new games announced at E3.
Me too, and who knows maybe MS will announce a couple of games for fall at e3.

im expecting big things from ms at e3. At this point they have to pull out all the stops to get back into things. Will be hard on monday not reading info about press conf until i watch it on dvr after work.

So both free games stop installing at 99% for me. Anyone know what's up? I uninstalled and tried again and got the same thing. Did a hard reset and still nothing. A notification pops up saying I need an update but I go to System and it says No Updates Available.

So both free games stop installing at 99% for me. Anyone know what's up? I uninstalled and tried again and got the same thing. Did a hard reset and still nothing. A notification pops up saying I need an update but I go to System and it says No Updates Available.
are you in the june preview update? I think currently it's only working for people in the june update, but they're working on it.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status

I'm not sure if you're in the June Early Update program but that may be the problem. I think the Games with Gold changes require the update to be playable. I know Microsoft Twitter has said they're aware of the issue and investigating it fwiw.

bread's done
Back