Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

This is sweet!

XB1 team gift

e6y9amy8.jpg

Ok a quick google search didn't bring this up so does anybody know: Will the Xbox one have any free 2 play games at launch (no Killer Instinct doesn't count, the f2p version you can only play as one guy, that's not a free game that's a demo)? Because PS4 will have several. If you count plus it's like 5 free games(DCUO, Warframe, Warthunder, Drive Club, Reso Gun). Granted, this probably won't matter much in the general public's eyes but again for that first round of core gamers that could be a difference maker as well. I can buy the console launch day not buy a single actual game and have entertainment for months. You can say those games don't appeal to you or whatever but it's good value.

people don't buy a 400-500 doller console to play free indie games sorry to burst that bubble. might other then drive club all those games you listed are on pc which you don't need a powerfull pc to play them seeing they are indie games. Honstly if you look at the game coming out in launch window for ps4 on psn is games that either already been out for awhile or not ps4 exlusives on hte indie front. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok a quick google search didn't bring this up so does anybody know: Will the Xbox one have any free 2 play games at launch (no Killer Instinct doesn't count, the f2p version you can only play as one guy, that's not a free game that's a demo)? Because PS4 will have several. If you count plus it's like 5 free games(DCUO, Warframe, Warthunder, Drive Club, Reso Gun). Granted, this probably won't matter much in the general public's eyes but again for that first round of core gamers that could be a difference maker as well. I can buy the console launch day not buy a single actual game and have entertainment for months. You can say those games don't appeal to you or whatever but it's good value.

Drive Club and KI are basically the same. You are hardly getting anything with DC. I don't know how you can say someone can live off of those games for months. They are all eventually gated with extra content. This is a very weak argument to me.

Drive Club and KI are basically the same. You are hardly getting anything with DC. I don't know how you can say someone can live off of those games for months. They are all eventually gated with extra content. This is a very weak argument to me.
plus most of the indie games that ps4 has in launch window are coming out for pc lol no way someone pays 400 bucks for a system to spend months playing free indie games. Yes indie games can be great but they last couple hours at best.

I've stated that several times the general public (who I don't think will show up for launch anyways because neither console is a mass market price point) won't care about indies, but that core crowd who has been applauding Sony for their focus on Indies in the first place actually will (i.e. the guys who post on message boards about games) .I'm also fairly sure the only idie game I listed was Resogun.

Well they say it's a few less cars and tracks, how much they cut I guess we'll have to see. Have you played a majority of f2p MMOS? Yes there's monetization and whatnot, but you can play a ton of quality content for absolutely nothing. My wife and I played DCUO on the PS3 for quite a few months and bought nothing. We still get back into it on occasion. There are expansions but we haven't payed for a single one yet and still get plenty of content. Most good f2p games are like that.

It's a fair comparison, what is someone getting at launch on one console vs. another? It's been constantly brought up that the "real" price difference between the two is minimal because you're not paying for the PS4 camera, Fifa is packed in on the Xbox One (in Europe anyways, we'll probably get something here), Xbox one probably has a better headset packed in, etc. This is an extension of that same discussion. I'm even including PS+ even though you don't have to have it for the MMOs and on Xbox One you would.

Its only for Microsoft employees.

Now is that for people that work at the stores or for the company itself?
The post on Reddit lists a few exclusions. They have to be part of the entertainment division and have been employed for 6 months. Not every MS employee will get one.

Really, they couldn't match the white color for the Kinnect too?  That would drive me crazy to have that not match the rest of the set-up (just like the ugly gold wii remote with no gold nunchuck).

I'm all for color options for consoles--as long as there's always a black model.  My TV and all my components are black now, and I'm OCD about things blending together so I'd totally skip a console I couldn't get in black.

As for the free game discussion, that was one of many things that pushed me toward PS4 as I know from having PS+ the past few years that I'll get a bunch of stuff to play for that $50 a year, where as the Xbox Live Gold free game program is still more of an unknown.   Could end up being just as good or better than plus, or could end up lacking in comparison.  Only time will tell.

And the indie game stuff is big for me as I really want to get more into that after playing Journey recently and liking that more than I've liked any game in a long time.  I know a lot of indie stuff is on PC, but I'll never do PC gaming as I want nothing to do with PCs at home after spending 10+ hours most days working on one.

I'm pretty sure the Live Free gold program ends after this year and they aren't continuing it on Xbox One in any form at the moment. But since all the free games offered are ancient sub $20 games that anyone who gave a shit already bought it's not like they'll have those to fall back on with the new console. This is where a strong indie selection would make a difference....

I'm pretty sure the Live Free gold program ends after this year and they aren't continuing it on Xbox One in any form at the moment. But since all the free games offered are ancient sub $20 games that anyone who gave a shit already bought it's not like they'll have those to fall back on with the new console. This is where a strong indie selection would make a difference....
to be honest most of the free games you get with ps plus are games that have been out for awhile and most gamers already played so yeah. i never played crackdown 1 before so i have been having a blast with that game.

Yeah I don't have any issues with free games being older stuff.  I only buy a handful of big AAA games a year so there's always tons of games I never get around to and can check out when they go free.

I do think we'll see more and more indie devs putting stuff free on plus though.  Good way to get people to play your game and buy the sequel or future games for you.  Or more F2P indie stuff with micro transactions for more content and DLC etc.

to be honest most of the free games you get with ps plus are games that have been out for awhile and most gamers already played so yeah. i never played crackdown 1 before so i have been having a blast with that game.
You say that buy then you bring up a game that is even older than anything PS Plus has given out, lol.

A lot of games PSN Plus has given out arent even a year old yet.

You say that buy then you bring up a game that is even older than anything PS Plus has given out, lol.

A lot of games PSN Plus has given out arent even a year old yet.
i was not bashing psn plus lol i was just saying i'ts not like games they give for free are games that most people have not played yet like he was making it seem like

http://www.gamespot.com/gamescom/ten-reasons-to-love-the-xbox-one-operating-system-6413655/?edition=desktop

"Microsoft’s go to, boxy aesthetic exists in many forms, but it’s never looked as refined as it does in the current version of the Xbox One interface."

"In every case, the Xbox One flew through these tasks in less than 9/10 of a second. Though there aren’t accurate timings to measure it against, in practice, Xbox One makes Xbox 360’s dashboard look as slow as molasses."

"You won’t be able to play two games at once, but you will be able to load Bing, YouTube, and other useful apps alongside any other activity. What’s more: some apps (Halo Waypoint, as an example), can work in conjunction with games to enhance the overall gameplay experience."

"Without any input from the player, Xbox One automatically records the last 30 minutes of gameplay. With the simple command, “Xbox, upload video”, the video upload app snaps to the screen and allows you to choose any five minute stretch from the last 30 minutes of gameplay to upload for friends and followers."

i was not bashing psn plus lol i was just saying i'ts not like games they give for free are games that most people have not played yet like he was making it seem like
Crackdown sold fairly well. And I'm fairly sure most people people that own an Xbox and especially have Gold have played ACII, Halo 3 and even Fable 3, those sold insanely well. I'd be more ok with old games people didn't really play that were well received and had a shot a new audience. Mirror's Edge would be a perfect example. That game sold like shit but hey there's a next gen sequel on the way, let's build buzz with giving it away for free (which they may at some point, but it doesn't seem like it if it's ending this year).

http://www.gamespot.com/gamescom/ten-reasons-to-love-the-xbox-one-operating-system-6413655/?edition=desktop

"Microsoft’s go to, boxy aesthetic exists in many forms, but it’s never looked as refined as it does in the current version of the Xbox One interface."

"In every case, the Xbox One flew through these tasks in less than 9/10 of a second. Though there aren’t accurate timings to measure it against, in practice, Xbox One makes Xbox 360’s dashboard look as slow as molasses."

"You won’t be able to play two games at once, but you will be able to load Bing, YouTube, and other useful apps alongside any other activity. What’s more: some apps (Halo Waypoint, as an example), can work in conjunction with games to enhance the overall gameplay experience."

"Without any input from the player, Xbox One automatically records the last 30 minutes of gameplay. With the simple command, “Xbox, upload video”, the video upload app snaps to the screen and allows you to choose any five minute stretch from the last 30 minutes of gameplay to upload for friends and followers."
Yeah I just read that, in this day and age things gotta be fast and that was one of the problems with the last OS Microsoft used.

Integration with the Kinect for the voice commands sounds like I'll be Tony Stark after all

I also have to admit I hardly use the music apps like Last.FM or Xbox Music because you can't game at the same time so snapping those to the UI while I play a game will be heavily used by me since I'm usually listening to music from a networked PC (onto the 5.1).

Crackdown sold fairly well. And I'm fairly sure most people people that own an Xbox and especially have Gold have played ACII, Halo 3 and even Fable 3, those sold insanely well. I'd be more ok with old games people didn't really play that were well received and had a shot a new audience. Mirror's Edge would be a perfect example. That game sold like shit but hey there's a next gen sequel on the way, let's build buzz with giving it away for free (which they may at some point, but it doesn't seem like it if it's ending this year).
Well think about it, if a game sold really well they can afford to give it out for free compared to a game that didn't sell well, the need all the sales they can get.

[quote name="Erad30" post="11013954" timestamp="1377536978"]
I'm pretty sure the Live Free gold program ends after this year and they aren't continuing it on Xbox One in any form at the moment. But since all the free games offered are ancient sub $20 games that anyone who gave a shit already bought it's not like they'll have those to fall back on with the new console. This is where a strong indie selection would make a difference....[/quote]
How do you even know that is the case that it won't continue?

Better preorder your "free" PSN game...

I've really enjoyed the promo and got a lot of play our of the four games. Don't know what big deal is. You obviously don't like it so get a ps4 and quit whining about it.

y2upajyg.jpg

10 Reasons to Love the X1's UI

How do you even know that is the case that it won't continue?Better preorder your "free" PSN game...I've really enjoyed the promo and got a lot of play our of the four games. Don't know what big deal is. You obviously don't like it so get a ps4 and quit whining about it.
y2upajyg.jpg

He asked about f2p games, and everyone jumped on him like he ate an unborn child.

and MS has already said it is only until the release of the X1. As of now.

Man. The comments there are far worse than the people here.

It's GameSpot they troll everyone and everything on purpose.

Well think about it, if a game sold really well they can afford to give it out for free compared to a game that didn't sell well, the need all the sales they can get.
Only when the game first comes out. If the game bombed they've sold about all they're going to sell within the first year or two. After that it makes more sense to release the game for free and build an audience for the sequel or the studio's next game.

He asked about f2p games, and everyone jumped on him like he ate an unborn child.
Because instead of answering the Microsoft question he posed, they jump all over the PS4 example he used.

But I believe the answer is: none at the moment. Microsoft is making f2p difficult for devs who want to go that method, at least, according to the people behind War Thunder.

the AMA for this week:

Q: What happens day one when I buy the system? I bring it home, plug it into my TV and outlet then what? I realize there is going to be a setup for my TV, my language, etc. Can I just bring my profile over on a flash drive? Do I have to recover my profile over Xbox Live?

MARC WHITTEN, CHIEF XBOX ONE PLATFORM ARCHITECT: There is a quick setup to get your system connected and up-to-date. After that, getting your profile is as simple as entering your account’s email address and password.

Q: Will I be able to get pre-order bonuses and special edition versions on digitally downloaded games?

A: Yes! You’ll see more details here in the future.

Q: Will Xbox One have any TV DVR functionality? Or is the DVR just for games?

A: It’s easy to use your current DVR with Xbox One. Our focus is on making the TV experience great – with favorite channels, voice control (including play, pause, fast forward and rewind with your DVR) and more. This is an area where you’ll see us drive more innovation over the years to come.

Q: Will a top-of-the-TV mounting clip be sold for Kinect?

A: We recommend locating Kinect in the middle of your television, either above or below the screen on a secure surface. We anticipate there will be some third party mounting offerings in the future.

Q: Will the Kinect sync to your voice? Let's say your friends want to mess with you by saying" Xbox Off." Will we be able to make it only respond to our voice?

A: We are focused on ensuring that we have great voice support which includes understanding which person is speaking in the room. Additionally, for actions that are potentially destructive, we have a confirmation dialog which will be the case for “Xbox Off.”

Q: Will Xbox One have any TV DVR functionality? Or is the DVR just for games?

A: It’s easy to use your current DVR with Xbox One. Our focus is on making the TV experience great – with favorite channels, voice control (including play, pause, fast forward and rewind with your DVR) and more. This is an area where you’ll see us drive more innovation over the years to come.
Uh what? I'm pretty sure the Xbox One doesn't work with DVRs, that was one of the complaints for people who were excited about it supposedly replacing your cable box. Yeah, right here they say it has no built-in TV DVR capabilities. What a bullshit answer.

[quote name="Erad30" post="11015105" timestamp="1377564460"]
Uh what? I'm pretty sure the Xbox One doesn't work with DVRs, that was one of the complaints for people who were excited about it supposedly replacing your cable box. Yeah, right here they say it has no built-in TV DVR capabilities. What a bullshit answer.[/quote]
The X1 cannot record your shows. Your receiver records them. You can access your recordings, play, pause and rewind love TV through the HDMI pass through interface. Which is exactly what he said. Your reading comprehension is lacking on this one.

Most people don't have a DVR and what he wants is for the X1 to be a DVR. Why can't it do that? That would certainly sell a lot of Xbox One's.

Edit:
For that matter, why not just have a slot for a CableCard? Then DVR and cable box functionality would be easy.

It's PR speak bullshit, the question asked was if it will have DVR functionality, it doesn;t and he said it in a very roundabout way that sort of makes it sounds like it does.

Only when the game first comes out. If the game bombed they've sold about all they're going to sell within the first year or two. After that it makes more sense to release the game for free and build an audience for the sequel or the studio's next game.
Sorry, if your game is not financially successful coming out the chances of a sequel or building that IP into a franchise are very slim.

It's PR speak bullshit, the question asked was if it will have DVR functionality, it doesn;t and he said it in a very roundabout way that sort of makes it sounds like it does.
I agree with you. It's like when Major Nelson was giving answers like "Xbox One is the future". Seriously, out TV DVR functionality in and you'll sell tens of millions more of them. TiVo isn't cheap and the cable companies usually charge about $5 a month more for their DRV's than for their cable boxes.

Edit:
The truth is, when they say Xbox one does TV, all they mean is that it's a verbal remote. It can't do anything you can't already do and it doesn't replace any current equipment.

[quote name="Blaster man" post="11015222" timestamp="1377567020"]
I agree with you. It's like when Major Nelson was giving answers like "Xbox One is the future". Seriously, out TV DVR functionality in and you'll sell tens of millions more of them. TiVo isn't cheap and the cable companies usually charge about $5 a month more for their DRV's than for their cable boxes.

Edit:
The truth is, when they say Xbox one does TV, all they mean is that it's a verbal remote. It can't do anything you can't already do and it doesn't replace any current equipment.[/quote]

Wait... So you guys want to store all of your tv shows on your X1? That would be great for the hard drive space. You guys really are grasping straws now.

--------

GS Gm's getting both systems free at launch

http://www.neowin.net/news/surprise-all-gamestop-general-managers-will-get-a-free-xbox-one-as-well?this_bribery_too?

Sorry, if your game is not financially successful coming out the chances of a sequel or building that IP into a franchise are very slim.
Yeah, that's the point of releasing the game free...to build an audience. And I said sequel or the developer's next game.

I didn't really think there was anything confusing or bs about the answer he gave. It pretty clearly says it works with your dvr. Not that it will replace it. Having DVR functions for your tv in the xbox 1 would be great, but I'm sure that would've driven up the price, and pissed off the cable companies. Plus MS probably would've had to pay someone for the tv dvr patent use

bread's done
Back