Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

I had the NFL Sunday Ticket MAX last year and it was beyond a horrible experience.  Rarely could I watch a game without stuttering or complete loss of video.  This is both at home on a 50M connection or at work on a T3....  Hope they get their act together, but it sounds like it's been an issue for a couple of years.  I'll wait for some input before trying it again.

Omg @ August update. That friends thing on the dashboard is sexy as hell.

Also - LOW BATTERY NOTIFICATION! YESSSSSSSSSS!

AND 3-D BLU-RAY PLAYBACK! OMG ! OMG !

All we need now is pre-ordering, pre-loading and the screen shot feature and I'll be super happy.

Hey RiPPn... how do you manage to get Sunday Ticket free? I have had DirecTV for approximately 14 years, if that matters.
2 things I do, one, like dmaul1114 said, call and threaten to cancel and get to the retention department, they will throw whatever they can at you to get you to stay and in August that is usually Sunday Ticket, even if still in contract but it helps to be out of contract even more. However if they don't, call back and get a rep that will, but also it helps if you can really cancel which leads to my second option. So secondly what we do is when you sign up you have to sign a 2 year deal, well after 2 years of not being a customer you are again considered a new customer, so what me and my wife will do is cancel and switch it between our names every 2 years getting new equipment and all the new customer incentives which usually includes Sunday Ticket. Since DirecTV goes by social and not address, so as long as you have 2 adults in the household it's pretty easy to do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the explanation. It's not something I would want to do, but if you want to go through the hassle, I say go for it. Free football is great. I do get to see most Packers games on TV anyway (and the rest via streams) anyway.

All we need now is pre-ordering, pre-loading and the screen shot feature and I'll be super happy.
fuck yeah! Finally!

also "disable notifications during video playback" and "mobile purchases". If you purchase through smartglass or on the site, it'll start your download automatically on your xbox.

Here's the video for those that haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovHyso_jy24

Just an fyi for people who are planning to pick up some extra controllers for the Halo Master Chief Collection and doesn't mind it being used. You can get a used Xbox One controller for about $25 shipped after tax or $32 shipped after tax for a Xbox One controller with a play and charge kit from cowboom. Look for the grade 7 and clean that shit with alcohol once it arrives, used controller are nasty!

Xbox One Controller for $20 plus tax and shipping with coupon code 14572122

https://www.cowboom.com/product/1457212

Xbox One Controller with Play and Charge Kit $30 plus tax and free shipping with coupon code 14572142

http://www.cowboom.com/product/1457214/?cjsku=10729065&utm_campaign=LS&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=aB8BeTfRgb8&siteID=aB8BeTfRgb8-OFZAEWBLqQQ2m5SbydL7Sw&utm_source=rvs&utm_medium=afl&utm_campaign=1312731

Thanks to syrdiman and cero5 for providing the links and coupon code in the video game deals thread.

Well, I gave the x1 two chances. Just took the 2nd console back to Gamestop the other night because it had hardware issues. The kinect port stopped working and I could not hear nor talk to anyone in a game lobby on any game I had. Replaced the headset adapter, controller, and did a factory reset per MS. Only options left were to send it in to MS, or return it to Gamestop. I had the option of getting another x1 or a PS4. I went back to the PS4 because I never had one single issue with the one I traded towards the x1. I will also say that the x1 I returned, made the 3rd one in a single day that was returned for issues according to the store manager.

Well, I gave the x1 two chances. Just took the 2nd console back to Gamestop the other night because it had hardware issues. The kinect port stopped working and I could not hear nor talk to anyone in a game lobby on any game I had. Replaced the headset adapter, controller, and did a factory reset per MS. Only options left were to send it in to MS, or return it to Gamestop. I had the option of getting another x1 or a PS4. I went back to the PS4 because I never had one single issue with the one I traded towards the x1. I will also say that the x1 I returned, made the 3rd one in a single day that was returned for issues according to the store manager.
Sounds like that store has a bad batch maybe?

Sounds like that store has a bad batch maybe?
Probably. I haven't heard of many issues since launch with all those disc drives problems. Guess I'm going to visit the xbox support forums and see how the problems are going lately.

Almost all issues I've heard/seen usually a hard reset/powerdown fixes them.

Edit: Yeap looking through the forums most problems can be solved by a hard reset.

Does Microsoft still give free games codes if you have to send your Xbox One in? I know during launch they offered some codes for people that had issues.

[quote name="David Hibiki" post="11940371" timestamp="1405877802"]Probably. I haven't heard of many issues since launch with all those disc drives problems. Guess I'm going to visit the xbox support forums and see how the problems are going lately.

Almost all issues I've heard/seen usually a hard reset/powerdown fixes them.
Edit: Yeap looking through the forums most problems can be solved by a hard reset.[/quote]
I heard the disc drive issues at launch and failing kinects. Nothing really lately. Maybe the Gamestop employees weren't repacking them properly after taking them home to play. ;)

Silly question of the day:

Will I be instructed to d/l the July update or is it automatic? The only update I keep seeing is for my controller.

Yeah, that seems really odd . . . do you happen to live on an Indian burial ground?  Or is the Gamestop by a giant magnet?

Either way, sorry to hear about the bad experiences!  Hope your luck gets better!  I bought both an Xbox One and PS4 on day one for each, and have had no issues with either of them.  But I always freak out for the first 10 minutes of getting a new console, thinking "DEAR GOD PLEASE WORK!  PLEASE WORK!" due to horror stories like yours!

Silly question of the day:

Will I be instructed to d/l the July update or is it automatic? The only update I keep seeing is for my controller.
July update already released and it most likely updated while your console was in Standby. Try playing a game, and then snapping the achievements. If they snap, it's done.

In a previous update, they made updates happen automatically while in Standby.

Oh snap. Major Nelson posted this for the August update:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovHyso_jy24

In the next update, we’ll improve a number of social features to make sharing your gaming experiences with friends better and easier. Here’s a shortlist of features rolling out next week to those with early access to the Xbox One system update:
  • Activity feed updates: We’re adding new ways for you to interact with friends in the activity feed. The interface will change to a single column scrolling list that is longer and includes more content. We’ll add the ability to post text to your feed, and to “like” and comment on feed items. You can share game clips and anything else in the feed with friends either publically (to your activity feed) or privately (as an attachment to a message). You’ll also be notified when anyone likes, comments on or shares your items. Each user will get a personal feed on their profile, so you can see what specific friends have been up to. And, with SmartGlass, you can see what your friends have shared to their activity feed and “like” specific posts (additional activity feed support coming in future SmartGlass updates).
  • Expanded Friends area on Home: Right from Home, see what’s going on with your friends. Stay up-to-date with their current activity, the top trending games your friends are playing, and a leaderboard to see who has been working the hardest on their Gamerscore. We’re doing an extended preview on this, rolling it into the early access preview this month to a subset of our preview audience so we can refine it until it’s ready for the entire Xbox One market.
  • Mobile purchase: One of the most requested features on Xbox Feedback. Using Xbox SmartGlass or on Xbox.com, you can remotely purchase games and Add-on content. No more waiting to begin downloading when you get home – if your console is set to automatically take updates, your console will begin downloading your purchase.
  • Low battery notification: You asked for it, now a notification will pop up when your controller battery is getting low.
  • Disable notifications during video: Adding the ability to turn off notifications based feedback we heard from you.
  • Enabling 3D Blu-ray: An update to the Blu-ray player app will enable 3D Blu-ray functionality on Xbox One.
  • OneGuide in Brazil, Mexico, Austria and Ireland: Live TV listings can be configured for four new countries as part of this month’s Preview program. And now there is an OneGuide Issue Reporter available under the TV & OneGuide settings, Troubleshooting section.
  • Last seen time in Friends list: Direct from Xbox Feedback, the friends list will now show how long it’s been since a friend has been online. For example, “Last seen 20m ago: Forza Motorsport 5.”
In addition to these features, we are still always doing other work on the backend you may not notice including getting ready to ship in 29 new markets starting this September.

Thank you for your incredible support. You’ve helped us make Xbox One a great place to play games and we’re looking forward to the road ahead as we get ready to launch the most critically acclaimed games this holiday.

Anyone excited for NFL Sunday Ticket coming to consoles? I read the IGN comments and people talking about how expensive it is. If you pay for the MAX package it's only $20 every Sunday. That's a steal. I go to the bar to watch every game and I spend that before halftime of the 1 o'clock games.
Couple of days late, but thanks for posting this. I'll be moving to St. Louis in a couple of weeks and won't be able to watch many (if any) Panthers games there. I'll be moving to a complex that doesn't allow dishes to be mounted so I'll be looking to take advantage of this.

I just checked if I'm allowed to use the console plan and it says I'm not. But I'm not allowed to get directv on the side of the road my condo is on so I might call and talk to someone. Still not decided 100% anyway.

Man... well, 3D Blu-ray playback is something PS4 doesn't have. But damn it, I want to be able to use my USB headset to listen to the movie audio like I can on PS4. That along with the 3D effect would be fantastic for me.

Never understood the 60FPS argument.
It's going to be interesting come Master Chief Collection to play say Halo 3 at 60fps vs 30fps. I think Halo's biggest weakness as a series was being 30fps to me anyways especially going from COD to Halo. It was a bit jarring. I'm glad MS has decided to go 60fps with all future Halo titles.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/07/22/xbox-one-and-xbox-360-ships-1-1-million-combined-in-q4-xbox-revenue-up-14/

1.1 million units shipped combined between Xbox 360 and Xbox One for the Quarter From April 1st to June 30th..
On GAF they are estimating the split to be 600k 360 and 500k Xbox Ones, which those were likely Kinectless skus because retail channel was stuffed with Day one edition and Titanfall edition bundles. Horrific numbers, if anyone is in the market for one and can wait, there are probably going to be some incredible Xbox One black Friday deals to be had.

Yeah, when you factor in that they had to ship new kinectless units in June to all retail stores it doesn't look to great. Prob wont matter at all when Halo Collection comes out in the fall.

not sure how having systems on store shelves are bad thing :/

i think it's great ms is still supporting 360. Once 360 launched they pretty much tossed xbox out the window and did not even allow most companys to make games for it once 360 was launched.

not sure how having systems on store shelves are bad thing :/

i think it's great ms is still supporting 360. Once 360 launched they pretty much tossed xbox out the window and did not even allow most companys to make games for it once 360 was launched.
Um, no one said it was bad having systems on store shelves? The point is the only shipped 1.1 million units in a quarter WORLDWIDE between Xbox One and 360 COMBINED. Thats Shipped, not sold. That means in a quarter worldwide they prob sold 800k-900k if that.

what you expected millions to be sold seeing the launch hype is almost dead and it's a slower time for gaming. Microsoft is in line to have a pretty big fall numbers and that might be the time it boost past others with sunset/halo/cod/unity.

i understand titanfail was launched during that time but when you can play it on last gen hurt the sales of system

[quote name="Deader2818" post="11947308" timestamp="1406068559"]Um, no one said it was bad having systems on store shelves? The point is the only shipped 1.1 million units in a quarter WORLDWIDE between Xbox One and 360 COMBINED. Thats Shipped, not sold. That means in a quarter worldwide they prob sold 800k-900k if that.[/quote]
Isn't it still selling at a faster pace than 360 at the same point in its lifetime? Compared to PS4 the sales aren't as good, but it is still selling. People seem determined to spin it as bad. PS3 languished on shelves at the beginning and with the right marketing turned it around. I'm not really worried about the platform as it seems hate filled message boards want you to be. GAF probably being the worst cess pool of them all.

Isn't it still selling at a faster pace than 360 at the same point in its lifetime? Compared to PS4 the sales aren't as good, but it is still selling. People seem determined to spin it as bad. PS3 languished on shelves at the beginning and with the right marketing turned it around. I'm not really worried about the platform as it seems hate filled message boards want you to be. GAF probably being the worst cess pool of them all.
That was only true at launch. Sales have been getting slow since around the end of Dec start of Jan. I forgot what month it was, I think April that X1 sold less that month than any month the 360 ever did.

I think the Xbox One's still selling well given all the problems it has been going through but I honesty cannot see holiday sales going well. I mean they'll likely need to push some insanely valued bundles to sell units but I think the PS4 is going to be a monster this year.

Also I think it's silly thinking Unity/COD will help the Xbox One. I think even despite the exclusively timed DLC the PS4 will continue to dominate multiplatform sales simply because the system itself is selling so well. Also Xbox One will have Halo out around the time Call of Duty releases while the PS4 won't have a main FPS besides Destiny especially since Battlefield got delayed.

Same goes for AC Unity since Sunset Overdrive drops close to that games release.

Only thing I see holding back sales was price point.  PS4 will probably still outsell XB1 because of the Destiny's marketing, but things should turn around from that point.

Maybe I'm a fanboy, but there really isn't much reason to me to get a PS4.

destiny beta is now live on x1 and 360
As I posted in the XBLA deals thread

Just a heads up, don't play your Destiny beta on X1 till It's fully downloaded. You'll most likely be greeted with a install error.
Obviously this doesn't pertain to the 360 version since you need a full download to play it.

So you must FULLY download it before launching it. I read this on twitter/other places as well. Good luck and hope everyone gets to play sometime tomorrow.

[quote name="asspickle" post="11948862" timestamp="1406104303"]Does this mean no white Sunset Overdrive console? I hope it doesn't get cancelled like the Titanfall one was.[/quote]
I think they'll release a white one
now that Sony has.

Convinced my folks to upgrade their data plan with Verizon so instead of 5 GB a month we're on the 10 GB plan now. Downloaded the update, played some Forza Motorsport 5 and enjoyed racing against drivatars again. Also messed around with the achievement snapped app, live status updates on that is pretty cool. Golded a track and saw the progress on one of the achievements. I guess I also uploaded some achievements when I signed on too huh.

I've run into a weird issue and I'm wondering if anybody else has seen it.  I had a problem when Watch Dogs came out. I bought the game and started the download. Went to bed. When I turned my Xbox on a notification popped up that installation had stopped. It was sitting at the same percentage as where I had left when I went to bed. I just left the console on and it finished the download. I didn't think much of it. Everything I have purchased since then has finished downloading while the console is on. Now I tried to download the Destiny Beta last night. Ran into the same problem where it was at the same percentage as what I left it at when turning off my console. Instant on is enabled and all of the options are checked beneath it. I do not have external storage so it shouldn't be an issue trying to save there... Anybody run into this and have a solution? Google hasn't turned up anything for me yet.  After some thought I am wondering if it is related to launching the game.  I know in the case of Watch Dogs I started it when it said it was ready then played as far as I could before it had to download more.  From there I just shut the console off, but did not actually quit the game.  In the case of the Destiny Beta I thought I quit the game from the dashboard, but I'm not positive.

bread's done
Back