Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
you can just PM it to me.
I think he is bluffing but...
popcorn%20drama.gif

Uh, better ram/graphics card?

I already said before that you will likely not see a difference on mulitplayer games since they will just program down to the Xone.

The difference will be in first party/exclusives. Which is just like how it is now.
not all first party ps3 games look that great some do look amazing yes but some not much better then 360 only games.

The naughty dog dev failed to address latency, which is and always has been a very key factor for gamers with PC's. 

The rule of thumb has always been to go with the lowest latency ram you can get, then speed. Why did he not address latency? Because GDDR5 has worse latency then DDR3. (You never, ever talk about your weak points :) )

With that said, GDDR5 is faster. About double the speed. How much does that actually influence things? Not as much as you'd think. 

Effects of 7 vs 8 latency.. crucial is the 7 btw..

image005.png

Ok, so here we've got a increase of 2.5ish percent, from a difference of 7->8 latency. We know the difference between the two is probably 2-3 points, so we'll go on the lower end and say a 5% increase in performance from a pure latency perspective vs Microsoft's DDR3.

Now, back to the speed. We know that the PS4's GDDR5 is about twice the speed of the current DDR3 in the Xbox One. Since comparisons between GDDR5 and DDR3 for PC's are non existent (they are, after all, different.. ), we can test how the speed difference between DDR3 and a faster OC'ed DDR3. Let's, shall we?

image014.png

As you can see, that is OC'ed to 2133. The crucial ram dropped out of the test because it could not remain stable. 

Going back to the first image, you'll notice the Giel ram is 1333, then OC'ed to 2133.. a 1000MHZ increase, or roughly a 75% increase... for a performance increase of 13 FPS.. which is less then 10 percent.

You'll find numerous other tests such as this if you want to dig around, or if your a PC enthusiast and do these things yourself :) The bottom line is.. Latency and Speed have very little effect when communicating with the CPU, thus the PS4's bottleneck will be there, while the Xbox 1 is clearly its GPU. (Not to mention, the GPU can handle those type of speeds and will benefit more from the faster GDDR5.. where as the CPU will benefit more from the lower latency)

Sorry for the huge post, but the reality is... the PS4's main advantage is it's faster video card. Not it's Ram. The video card is where you will see performance gains in first party titles without a doubt.

The naughty dog dev failed to address latency, which is and always has been a very key factor for gamers with PC's.

The rule of thumb has always been to go with the lowest latency ram you can get, then speed. Why did he not address latency? Because GDDR5 has worse latency then DDR3. (You never, ever talk about your weak points :) )

With that said, GDDR5 is faster. About double the speed. How much does that actually influence things? Not as much as you'd think.

Effects of 7 vs 8 latency.. crucial is the 7 btw..

image005.png

Ok, so here we've got a increase of 2.5ish percent, from a difference of 7->8 latency. We know the difference between the two is probably 2-3 points, so we'll go on the lower end and say a 5% increase in performance from a pure latency perspective vs Microsoft's DDR3.

Now, back to the speed. We know that the PS4's GDDR5 is about twice the speed of the current DDR3 in the Xbox One. Since comparisons between GDDR5 and DDR3 for PC's are non existent (they are, after all, different.. ), we can test how the speed difference between DDR3 and a faster OC'ed DDR3. Let's, shall we?

image014.png

As you can see, that is OC'ed to 2133. The crucial ram dropped out of the test because it could not remain stable.

Going back to the first image, you'll notice the Giel ram is 1333, then OC'ed to 2133.. a 1000MHZ increase, or roughly a 75% increase... for a performance increase of 13 FPS.. which is less then 10 percent.

You'll find numerous other tests such as this if you want to dig around, or if your a PC enthusiast and do these things yourself :) The bottom line is.. Latency and Speed have very little effect when communicating with the CPU, thus the PS4's bottleneck will be there, while the Xbox 1 is clearly its GPU. (Not to mention, the GPU can handle those type of speeds and will benefit more from the faster GDDR5.. where as the CPU will benefit more from the lower latency)

Sorry for the huge post, but the reality is... the PS4's main advantage is it's faster video card. Not it's Ram. The video card is where you will see performance gains in first party titles without a doubt.
Thank you for posting something with facts to back it up instead of like Timbo. I personally think every little bit helps as we get further into the console generation. Developers will squeeze every little bit of the hardware they have available to them, especially 1st party devs. Halo 4 and Last of Us as good examples. So the PS4 having GDDR5 is not really that important now but it will at the latter half of it's lifespan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im honestly not trying to insult anyone. I just take what he says with a grain of salt since it is the internet, and you can make any personal claim you want with no proof.

But what do I know? Im just an old man stuck working at McDonald's for the rest of his life.

I knew Timbo is a silly little man, but at this point It's just kinda sad. Honestly dude, I'd expect someone with the education you supposedly have to be able to string a sentence together.

Thank you for posting something with facts to back it up instead of like Timbo. I personally think every little bit helps as we get further into the console generation. Developers will squeeze every little bit of the hardware they have available to them, especially 1st party devs. Halo 4 and Last of Us as good examples. So the PS4 having GDDR5 is not really that important now but it will at the latter half of it's lifespan.
um that was my point i was trying to make :bouncy: :twoguns:

See, Ashane I can actually respect because he actually discusses and brings up points instead of just being vague and boasting about himself without actually providing an argument.

it's what they love to do certain people on this website love to do personal attacks
I know! Timbo and I have been so polite and you all just ruin it! We even back up our claims with proof and you still insult us!

See, Ashane I can actually respect because he actually discusses and brings up points instead of just being vague and boasting about himself without actually providing an argument.
so saying games at this point don't fully use ddr5 power on pc and that for at least couple years games will pretty much look the same on ps4 and x1 is not valid points.

Yep.

I think we wont see any real difference until 3+ years in, and then we'll see that the PS4 will have the raw graphical horse power to do things like more advanced AA, bump mapping, all that extra jazz.. while the X1 will have to cut that. On the other side, we'll see the X1 having less stutter periods, more consistent frame rate.

Which is what Digital Foundry saw when they reviewed the games at E3, but those were all Alpha/Beta builds, so no one can use those as any sort of example :( If anyone thinks Driveclub is going to look as bad as Digital Foundry made it sound, they are freaking crazy.

do you even know anything about ddr 5 vs ddr 3 other then what you read on the intenret ? if it was someone use ddr5 in a computer i would be like heck yes it's a giant deal but we are talking about ps4 we will never see the full power of ddr5 being used in the right way. just because it's in the system don't mean it will be used fully. Most games on pc don't evne support the advantages of ddr5.

i said after that games don't use the full power of ddr5 on pc and i don't expect it to happen for couple years on ps4
Oh really?

just sad how much issues we have with people here we are supposed to be apart of the great CAG community but this forum topic has made the dirty side of people come out 

just sad how much issues we have with people here we are supposed to be apart of the great CAG community but this forum topic has made the dirty side of people come out
So true Timbo but thats what console wars do, they bring out the bad in gamers, and for the record I'm a neurosurgeon. I also have a 12 inch dong. I have pics for proof, just wanted to put that out there before everything gets deleted. :lol:

Also, wtf at Kinect indeed. :shock:

What you are referring to with Sony's "big announcement" is basically the same thing as you can do on the PS3 now so don't get all braggy.

Basically everyone knew that and even mentioned that in the PS4 thread.

So that doesn't really mean the same as the family plan.
First of all it wasn't a "big" announcement by Sony, the internet blew it up. Second, it isn't the same as the PS3 only allowed you to do this on 2 machines where this appears to be limitless, it is more like how the 360 handles it except it will be near instant access. And whether you feel this was a non story or not it was getting a lot of traction on several internet sites which is why it's more than a coincidence that Microsoft comes out 2 days later talking about the family sharing nonsense which still has not been outlined and Microsoft has been quiet about since the 180.

It's amazing how you spin down Sony announcements and hype up Microsoft announcements, but it's what you're paid to do so I get it.

The fact that you keep calling it ddr5 when it is gddr5 hurts your already poor credibility, ddr4 is in the final stages of development and set for release this year, ddr5 doesn't exist, or is in the very early stages of development.

Also you wonder why noone believes you, but when you have been caught in numerous lies and posting just random nonsense to keep arguments going and then run to mods or cry victim when you get caught, it's amazing people still entertain anything you say.

First of all it wasn't a "big" announcement by Sony, the internet blew it up. Second, it isn't the same as the PS3 only allowed you to do this on 2 machines where this appears to be limitless, it is more like how the 360 handles it except it will be near instant access. And whether you feel this was a non story or not it was getting a lot of traction on several internet sites which is why it's more than a coincidence that Microsoft comes out 2 days later talking about the family sharing nonsense which still has not been outlined.

It's amazing how you spin down Sony announcements and hype up Microsoft announcements, but it's what you're paid to do so I get it.

The fact that you keep calling it ddr5 when it is gddr5 hurts your already poor credibility, ddr4 is only in the preliminary stages of development, ddr5 doesn't exist.

Also you wonder why noone believes you, but when you have been caught in numerous lies and posting just random nonsense to keep arguments going and then run to mods or cry victim when you get caught, it's amazing people still entertain anything you say.
when have i ever ran to a mod i don't even talk to any mods on this website and omg i did not put a g infront of ddr5 omg omg now im a dumb ass . but really do you really think i give a junk what you and some people think of me here? it's the internet i could give a rats behind what you think of me.

First of all it wasn't a "big" announcement by Sony, the internet blew it up. Second, it isn't the same as the PS3 only allowed you to do this on 2 machines where this appears to be limitless, it is more like how the 360 handles it except it will be near instant access. And whether you feel this was a non story or not it was getting a lot of traction on several internet sites which is why it's more than a coincidence that Microsoft comes out 2 days later talking about the family sharing nonsense which still has not been outlined and Microsoft has been quiet about since the 180.
To be fair, the Xbox One does the exact same thing. Your digital library follows you to any Xbox One, and can be played just like the PS4.

I was not aware that was actually a talking point though :X Just goes to show you what utter craptastic journalists we have. After reading some of those, they all seem to imply that the X1 will not be able to do that, then they even QUOTE the very article where it says it will. Simply amazing.

""Your entire games collection will no longer be available from the cloud," the Microsoft spokesperson said. "Games on disc will require the disc for playback. Games you’ve downloaded from Xbox Live will still be accessible from the cloud."

this topic = if you bash xbox one = omg we love you man you are great

support anything to do with xbox one = you are a dumb idiot that knows nothing and you have no credibility

it's like the other way around on ps4 pre order thread.

if you bash ps4 = you are a dumb idiot that knows nothing

if you suppoort ps4= you are a amazing person and you are smart.

when have i ever ran to a mod i don't even talk to any mods on this website and omg i did not put a g infront of ddr5 omg omg now im a dumb ass . but really do you really think i give a junk what you and some people think of me here? it's the internet i could give a rats behind what you think of me.
Wow you're so "hard" today, yet in the past you have been in near tears telling people to put you on ignore and saying you wont post here anymore, and now you could give a rats ass about what people say and think? Riiiiggghhht....

support anything to do with xbox one = you are a dumb idiot that knows nothing and you have no credibility

If you don't like it, there's a thread for you: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/313133-the-xbox-one-future-owners-discussion-thread-no-drm-debates-etc/

support anything to do with xbox one = you are a dumb idiot that knows nothing and you have no credibility

I know! Timbo and I are being referred to as idiots and why?! We weren't just making shit up or anything. We were stating facts and Timbo even sent you the transcripts to prove he knows what he's talking about!

I know! Timbo and I are being referred to as idiots and why?! We weren't just making shit up or anything. We were stating facts and Timbo even sent you the transcripts to prove he knows what he's talking about!
Who are you, I've not seen anyone refer to you? Are you Timbo on an alt account? Why do you keep lumping yourself in with him? Something is odd here.

This thread is sadly boring now. I thought the whole "fanboy to teh deth" for this console or that console died years ago. It's not productive, it just wastes people's time and doesn't sway or alter anyone's perception. If you hate/love the XOne you're fighting a losing battle trying to get people on the other side of the fence to come over to your side.

The fact that you keep calling it ddr5 when it is gddr5 hurts your already poor credibility, ddr4 is in the final stages of development and set for release this year, ddr5 doesn't exist, or is in the very early stages of development.

Where's your proof it's limitless? Or did you just magically make that up?

So, that Xbox AMAA is still going on and hes uh.. saying some kinda informative things.

XboxOneDevConfirmed XB1 Dev[S] [score hidden]

1 hour ago

As I mentioned earlier, I don't know what price point the Xbox One would be at without the Kinect, but it would be much less than 399.

I see it not as a market that no longer exists, but one that haven't been explored due to technological limitations.

A $299 or $349 Xbox One without Kinect? Yeah, that'll score like a home run to be honest.

[–]RetroT35Xbox > Playstation [score hidden]

3 hours
 ago

What was everyones reaction at the office after the flaming outcry the day after E3?

[–]XboxOneDevConfirmed XB1 Dev[S] [score hidden]

1 hour
 ago

It was quite moot. One of our execs had mentioned a Sony dev came up to him and told him you won the games, we won the gamers.

Sounds about right, and it's funny to see the dev's joke around with each other like that :p

XboxOneDevConfirmed XB1 Dev[S] [score hidden]

2 hours ago

The goal with having a Kinect ship with every Xbox is to guarantee to game developers if they implement Kinect features into their games, everyone who has an Xbox will be able to experience it. I often see people dismiss the Kinect instantly because they haven't seen it work like I have. It is an integral part of the Xbox One experience.

What we already figured....

RtardDANRtard Dan IxI [score hidden]

2 hours
 ago

Just one question, How loud is the console?

1 hour
 ago

Almost inaudible. I run three at a time and they are drowned out by the fans in the desktops.

[–]adotam [score hidden]

34 minutes
 ago

and so, without the desktops, how loud is it?

16 minutes
 ago

I don't have any measured data to give you. But if I'm looking at my PC screen and I tell a console about 5 feet behind me to "Xbox On", I can't tell if it turned on or not unless turn around and I look at it.

Well, that's nice...

9 minutes ago

This is one of those things they don't tell us until everyone else knows. But I have heard a wired headset will be included.

Hmm, maybe? :X

Yup exactly!

None of us know what these boxes are going to be like for quote some time I don't know how one can be declared the best before they are even out. None if us have played them.

The "20 things you do not know about PS4" reveals more information. The 2 disc install is being done away with, in favor of a 1 disc offline install, and not 2.

The online is if Player A is logged into Console A, he can play his digital titles. If Player B uses Player A's login to log into Console B, he cannot play his titles, as Player A is playing them. (One console, one login)

For more info: http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/1i5sd7/its_official_the_ps4_allows_for_only_one_system/

Why we are discussing this here is beyond me, but hey, there's your information :)

Quote from article "Sony has spoken about accessing your PS4 games on any machine"

Quote from me "appears to be limitless"

The word "appears" means my statement was subjective. Nice try though, those Microsoft dollars hard at work.

This thread is sadly boring now. I thought the whole "fanboy to teh deth" for this console or that console died years ago. It's not productive, it just wastes people's time and doesn't sway or alter anyone's perception. If you hate/love the XOne you're fighting a losing battle trying to get people on the other side of the fence to come over to your side.
I think we already know that, neither side is going to convince the other to switch. Thread is simply active for the drama, otherwise it would be dead already. I personally like checking out this thread everyday, cause afterall we are gamers. Not everything in here is fanboy stuff, some sensible stuff is still discussed in here like the tech and new announcements/findings about the X1. People should be allowed to discuss the negatives or positives as long as they can back it up. They can agree, disagree, or ignore the comment/thread.

The word "appears" means my statement was subjective. Nice try though, those Microsoft dollars hard at work.
I want a PR job trolling forums :(

Let's be honest, would that not be pretty epic? "Your mission, should you choose to accept it.... troll various gaming forums defending our product, and pointing toward flaws of our competitions product. Your pay will be $7.25 a hour to sit on your ass and read forums.... click yes or no, this email will self destruct in 30 seconds."

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back