Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really is going to be interesting to see how things play out on the Microsoft side. Are people going to shell out $60 on an unknown game knowing they may not be able to recoup any of those funds if it turns out to be a bad game and the publisher has blocked the sharing, lending, selling aspects of the game? Does that mean people will rely on reviews and niche games will completely disappear? Without the built in sales from rental companies will games still sale as many copies? Without reselling people won't have the funds to buy the newest games, how will this affect game sale? With all the restrictions on used games, Microsoft setting used game prices, blocking used games for a set period of time or blocking them entirely and taking a piece of the used game sale will it even be worth the hassle to trade in a game? So many questions to be answered, going to make watching Xbox One, especially the first year, very interesting
Interesting indeed...

With game sharing, will more people take chances on shorter single player games knowing they can split the cost? With more people holding onto games because of limited reselling, will we see better (maybe cheaper?) dlc? With the heavy focus on 'persistant worlds', combined with more people holding onto games, will we see developers adding things as time goes on? Maybe add in 'events' in open world games or changing scripted events so that if you replayed a game months later, it would play out a little different?

In regards to the DLC I mentioned...I read an article a few months ago where the developers said they have to rush out DLC within the first month the game launches, otherwise alot of people would have already traded/sold their copy.

A reversal of fortune?: http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/microsoft-to-pull-complete-reversal-on-xbox-one-dr/1100-4673/

Giant Bomb is running with the story that Microsoft's going to drop their DRM plans:

• No more always online requirement
    [*]The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
    [*]All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
    [*]Authentication is no longer necessary
    [*]An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
    [*]All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
    [*]No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
    [*]Region locks have been dropped

Last edited by a moderator:
A reversal of fortune?: http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/microsoft-to-pull-complete-reversal-on-xbox-one-dr/1100-4673/

Giant Bomb is running with the story that Microsoft's going to drop their DRM plans:

[*]An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
There's no way MS would listen to the 'vocal minority' on these issues! How is digital game sharing going to work now? What about the Cloud?! Would someone please think of the cloud?!

:bow:

Gamechanger if true.

Listen if MS pulls a 180 I will consider a Xbox One. I know a lot of people will still be really pissed but I think MS has the games right now. Either way I am waiting to buy either but this is good news regardless as a gamer.

I'd take it with a grain of salt. Not that I don't hope it's true, I absolutely do, but this late in the game changing the system so much (especially stuff like removing region locks) is either not going to be possible, or put them so far behind in production they'll have to aim for a later release or not be able to fill orders. Either way it puts Sony in a good position.

I'd take it with a grain of salt. Not that I don't hope it's true, I absolutely do, but this late in the game changing the system so much (especially stuff like removing region locks) is either not going to be possible, or put them so far behind in production they'll have to aim for a later release or not be able to fill orders. Either way it puts Sony in a good position.
Not necessarily. I don't think they had some of this worked out or implemented. Too much confusion on there end on how it all worked.

Giantbomb is probably getting a ton of traffic from this article lol, site is down.

• The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
  • All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
  • Authentication is no longer necessary
  • An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
  • All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
  • No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
  • Region locks have been dropped
The plot thickens.

[insert 'dis iz gun b guud' gif here]

Per Giant Bomb:

Now if we can just get them to let us disconnect the Kinect.  C'mon Microsoft!!

Great news for X1 buyers.

Still not interested, but good for everyone else who's interested.
This. Even if they back peddle on it now, the fact that they tried to pull this in the first place makes me wary.

I can't get the article to load, can somebody copy paste it for me?

Question:

So if rumors of MS dropping online requirement, DRM and used games allowed, who of the people that "boycotted" or decided to make the switch to playstation would now reconsider getting one now?

Amazing.

MS doesn't have the full details up yet but I hope it's the same as GB reported.

Even yesterday they were backing this policy.

I'm glad their listening to the customer.

Oh, I guess this means all the "no used games" defenders are NOT going to buy an X1 now that it allows used games and they can't stand that? Right? RIGHT? Oh that's right, ya'll are liars.

Question:

So if rumors of MS dropping online requirement, DRM and used games allowed, who of the people that "boycotted" or decided to make the switch to playstation would now reconsider getting one now?
I won't buy it at launch, but it now it may eventually end up in my home, where as before I would never have bought it. I still think this put a stain on the Xbox brand though.

Question:

I'll be sticking with my buying one when my brother gets one

Question:

I won't buy it at launch, but it now will eventually end up in my home, where as before I would never have bought it.
Same here. I was pretty much never going to own it, but now I will get one down the road for exclusives ala my 360.

If this does turn out to be true, I can guarantee it wasn't because of the gamer backlash.

It will have been because of the investor outcry.

Microsoft's stock projection for the coming year was actively lowered by major market analysts as a direct result of their XBox One policies and Sony's lack of restrictions. I imagine that a lot of Microsoft stock owners started screaming bloody murder over the value of their stock being threatened. Some of the bigger stock owners could have possibly lost multiple millions in value over this.

Stock holders, especially major stock holders, have a say in how a company is run. If enough of them got together and voiced their objections to these on-line policies, those on-line policies would be changed, whether upper management liked it or not.

Question:

I'll probably get one used at some point, as oppose to before when I wouldn't have wanted it if they were giving them away. Definitely won't be getting it anytime soon though, the fact that they tried to pull this in the first place makes me less than inclined to give them money.

Verified true on Microsofts site: http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

Amazing day for gamers!
That page you linked doesn't mention the new policies but the below quote.

Update on June 19, 2013: As a result of feedback from the Xbox community, we have changed certain policies for Xbox One reflected in this blog. Some of this information is no longer accurate — please check here for the latest.
I don't think the hyper-linked article is even live on the site yet.

Also Giantbomb article for those who want to view it.

[customspoiler='GiantBomb Article']
8LZAURu.png
[/customspoiler]

If I was buying one I think I would still stick with Playstation because they usually get the RPG's I want to play while MS usually has little to go on in terms of JRPG's. There is also the fact that everything is still locked behind the live gold pay wall, while on PS the only thing locked is multiplayer in games, you can still use apps and everything else. The apps and stuff are locked unless you pay for live gold. There is still the always on Kinect as well. Unless MS comes up with something identical to PS plus with free games as long as you pay it looks like its going to be exactly the same as this generation.

I'm confused though. I thought these policies were part of the "forward thinking" of the Xbox One and the future/revolution in gaming?

If this does turn out to be true, I can guarantee it wasn't because of the gamer backlash.

Microsoft's stock projection for the coming year was actively lowered by major market analysts as a direct result of their XBox One policies and Sony's lack of restrictions. I imagine that a lot of Microsoft stock owners started screaming bloody murder over the value of their stock being threatened. Some of the bigger stock owners could have possibly lost multiple millions in value over this.

Stock holders, especially major stock holders, have a say in how a company is run. If enough of them got together and voiced their objections to these on-line policies, those on-line policies would be changed, whether upper management liked it or not.
It wasn't just "gamer backlash". The DRM policy discussion was on major new websites, national radio, and national TV.

That obviously impacted investors. They don't like to see so much negativity around their investments.

So all this was for nothing? Well, at least we can still gripe about the required Kinect and $100 price difference. :)

[/*]
So all this was for nothing? Well, at least we can still gripe about the required Kinect and $100 price difference. :)
The kinect isn't as big of a deal if you don't have to be connected to the net to play games. It would have to be recording to your Xbox hard drive at that point. I think the $100 price point and the weaker hardware are all that's left.

Here's the info:

Your Feedback Matters – Update on Xbox One

Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

Now I might actually pick on up eventually. Maybe sonnet if they release an apology for how they treated members of the military with the whole "no Internet? Stick with the old console then because it sucks toe you" thing.

Analysts wouldn't have lowered expectations if it weren't for the backlash.

Looks like I got beat to the image for people who coudnt get it to load :)

Well, feel sorry for those selling all their 360 stuff and boycotting MS. LOL.

From Microsoft:

Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console — there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

*** Please delete. This should probably be posted in the other Xbox One DRM thread. ***

Sorry about that.

Per Giant Bomb:

Now if we can just get them to let us disconnect the Kinect. C'mon Microsoft!!
But I thought Major Nelson said that all of these things were "features" and the future of gaming?? :headache:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back