Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a pretty good FAQ from IGN.

I see the kinect mic is always listening. Eesh. I honestly don't know if that's any different from the current Kinect or not but either way it irks me.

Also you aren't going to get 500GB for storage out of that 500GB hard drive. I know it's normal for any hard drive but it sounds bad from the FAQ.

[quote name='RiPPn']^this: Vita, 3DS, Wii-U and PC should be suffice.[/QUOTE]

Having the ability to play PS4 games on my Vita (portable) is one of the main factors I'm looking towards the PS4. And this comes from someone whose first current-gen console was the 360 (back in...2007 I think).

[quote name='ShockandAww']Here's a pretty good FAQ from IGN.[/QUOTE]
Will I still have to pay for Xbox Live Gold?

YES. The head of Xbox in Europe told The Metro: "Yes, we still see that as a chargeable service... I think that people understand that for a premium service that gives access to so many different rich parts of entertainment. Our consumers are happy and I think we represent great value there actually. If you look at the plethora of things available now through Xbox Live, particularly the Gold service and what we put behind Gold, we’ve got no plans to change that."

Hahaha wow, I wonder what other services that you're already paying for or are free to use on almost every other device get thrown behind the paywall. fuck you M$.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']And what if Sony has the same stance on used games?[/QUOTE]
They didn't do it for the Vita, most likely won't happen with the PS4.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']again when did microsoft EVER say you have to pay a fee to play used games it sounds like games DONT have to be installed but if you want to play with no disc you have to install it and your friend cna do same thing but pay a fee to keep the game with out disc[/QUOTE]

They haven't confirmed or outright denied anything. Even Major Nelson's blog states "While there have been many potential scenarios discussed, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail."

Then he goes on to say, "If you go to your friends house, there won't be a fee." Well, if there isn't a fee at all, why would there not be a fee when I go to my friend's house?

Also, your suggestion makes little sense. That's not a new business practice, that's buying the game. You don't need to change the system so someone who borrowed your game can purchase a full copy of it when they're done borrowing it. They can already do that perfectly fine.

[quote name='Shimrra']If you think about it does it really matter? As gamers we will pay, jump thru hopes and accept what ever they give us so we can play the next Halo or CoD.

What will surprise people is when Gears comes to both systems.[/QUOTE]

I have no intention of jumping through hoops and accepting anything. In all honesty, this is part of the gaming culture that really gets under my skin. EA, Microsoft and even Sony and Steam pull the shit they do because gaming culture is notorious for its "I just want to play games" mentality. For all the outrage on the forums, and all the threats of boycotts, for the last decade, we've all just run to the store and bought the games. I include myself in this, with EA's Online Pass and such, but this would be the straw that broke my camel's back.

[quote name='giantqtipz']Used game fee aside (since its a rumor)

Is anyone legitimately considering this console over the ps4?

I have a vita and a 360. Im leaning towards the xbox one, but should I? If i get a ps4, itll complement my vita.

Though my experiences woth xbox live has been great so far and i have a lot of 360 games on my backlog heh... Im so torn[/QUOTE]

Honestly, no. For one, I already hated how my gaming console wasn't just a gaming console. The only reason I switched to primarily console gaming over PC gaming was ease of use. I didn't want to have to download the game, install the game, fight the DRM scheme, etc. etc. If I'm going to have to do the same stuff with the new consoles, what's the point?

I don't need another cable box, blu-ray player, dvd player, DVR, or anything else. I just want a console that I can throw a disc in, and play my video games in the hour or three that I have because I have to do something around the house or go to work. All these extra hoops actually turn me off of the console. Installs, cloud computing, maybe used game fees (which would probably mean I can't rent games, another reason I went console over PC), none of it is saying, "We want your money, buddy."

[quote name='Monsta Mack']And what if Sony has the same stance on used games?
PS4 isn't backwards either with PSN titles as well as disc titles. Gaikai sounds nice but your basically paying for the same game again, and it could be much cheap used/new on the PS3.

I think It's just going to come down to first party titles again and if the PS4 is free to play online (which it probably is).[/QUOTE]

If they do, then I'll party like it's 1983. I got Steam, I got my PC, and I have a HUGE back catalogue of games. I'm willing to bet I'll be the only one who refuses to make the purchase, but I won't be an early adopter, and if it comes to be that they all pull this stunt, I won't be an adopter at all.

[quote name='htz']Xbox One has non-replaceable hard drive, external storage is supported
^What happens when the non-replaceable hard drive fails? You won't be able to use it, even with an external storage device, when the OS resides on the internal drive... -_-[/QUOTE]

This is Microsoft skinning the sheep. They've obviously decided that just price gouging and cash grabbing like kids in the candy store is the way to go this generation.

I gotta ask, does any of this appeal to you guys? Online requirement, restrictions on games (Not just used, if you're a multi-console house like I am, or a renter), non-replaceable hard drive, possibly controllers without replaceable batteries. What is it that the Xbox needs to do to make all of these hoops worth it? Just Halo 5?

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']why has 360 been on top in sales everymonth for the last two years?[/QUOTE]
God lord, do really not realize that the NPD's are only for the U.S.?

[quote name='itachiitachi']God lord, do really not realize that the NPD's are only for the U.S.?[/QUOTE]

I didnt realize this was an Xbox 360 sales thread.

[quote name='Blaster man']I didnt realize this was an Xbox 360 sales thread.[/QUOTE]

It's a Feed The Timbo Troll thread.

I've yet to see any positive feedback on the Xbox One outside of Timbo and Twitter. Twitter consists mainly of "I'm so gonna get a Xbox One!"

Is it cynical to think that Microsoft is paying people on Twitter to say they're going to buy an Xbox One? Cause YouTube, Neogaf, CAG, pretty much every site I've been to has dumped all over the console, except for Timbo and Twitter.

^I think there has been plenty of positive feedback. Much of the gaming "press" are cynical so I take a lot of those opinions with a grain of salt. For the most part the people I trust have cautious optimism for the system. Most of the bad press was from the lack of games and the misinformation (and lack of response) about used games. The reality is Sony has not given a definitive response on used games either so that issue is mute until everything is revealed. If E3 rolls around and MS shows 15 new exclusives ans 8 new IPs mostly everyone will be singing a different tune.

[quote name='cancerman1120']^I think there has been plenty of positive feedback. Much of the gaming "press" are cynical so I take a lot of those opinions with a grain of salt. For the most part the people I trust have cautious optimism for the system. Most of the bad press was from the lack of games and the misinformation (and lack of response) about used games. The reality is Sony has not given a definitive response on used games either so that issue is mute until everything is revealed. If E3 rolls around and MS shows 15 new exclusives ans 8 new IPs mostly everyone will be singing a different tune.[/QUOTE]

One thing's for certain, this isn't designed for soldiers in their barracks or people in the mountains or other rural areas. Basically, Adam Orth's "Why would I want to live there?" comment that everyone was pissed about is right on the money about how MS feels about those customers.

[quote name='Blaster man']I didnt realize this was an Xbox 360 sales thread.[/QUOTE]
This is the Timbo vs. reality thread, just be happy you're not the craziest person in a console thread for once.

[quote name='cancerman1120']^I think there has been plenty of positive feedback. Much of the gaming "press" are cynical so I take a lot of those opinions with a grain of salt. For the most part the people I trust have cautious optimism for the system. Most of the bad press was from the lack of games and the misinformation (and lack of response) about used games. The reality is Sony has not given a definitive response on used games either so that issue is mute until everything is revealed. If E3 rolls around and MS shows 15 new exclusives ans 8 new IPs mostly everyone will be singing a different tune.[/QUOTE]
The only postive reactions I've seen are from fratboy gammers who are like "yeah new x-box" and don't know about the the DRM, rumored used game fees, none upgradable harddrive, the comparatively small boost in power compared to last gen, kinnect nonsense ect...

[quote name='Broken Cage']It's a Feed The Timbo Troll thread.

I've yet to see any positive feedback on the Xbox One outside of Timbo and Twitter. Twitter consists mainly of "I'm so gonna get a Xbox One!"

Is it cynical to think that Microsoft is paying people on Twitter to say they're going to buy an Xbox One? Cause YouTube, Neogaf, CAG, pretty much every site I've been to has dumped all over the console, except for Timbo and Twitter.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's cynical at all.

https://twitter.com/bdifferentIE
B*Different

@bdifferentIE

B*Different is a one stop shop for your digital/traditional marketing needs. We'll make it easy for you to B*Different!

Ireland · bdifferent.ie

B*Different ‏@bdifferentIE 1m Xbox One - The Machine That Made Hearts Flutter Worldwide

[quote name='PenguinMaster']I'd agree with that. Xbox should just become a controller brand, that is clearly what they are best at. Though I would have preferred they stick with AA batteries. I'd much rather use my rechargeable AA batteries than their proprietary rechargeable batteries.[/QUOTE]

A few articles noted that it still uses AA batteries and that the integrated battery compartment just meant it's flush rather than jutting out like on the 360 controller.

I hope that's the case as I have a bunch of rechargeable AA's and hate having to plug in the PS 3 controller to charge. More of a hassle and I can't game while charging as I don't have any USB cables long enough to reach to the couch.

[quote name='itachiitachi']This is the Timbo vs. reality thread, just be happy you're not the craziest person in a console thread for once.

The only postive reactions I've seen are from fratboy gammers who are like "yeah new x-box" and don't know about the the DRM, rumored used game fees, none upgradable harddrive, the comparatively small boost in power compared to last gen, kinnect nonsense ect...[/QUOTE]

Well you don't seem to be biased in the least. It is obvious you are not a console fan but to make the statement about small boost in power compared to last gen is just ignorant. Also what nonsense about kinect? Every future concept I have seen shows the ability to talk to you device and have it respond to you...is that not what this is? It is a step towards having a Jarvis in your home. You may not want it which is fine but personally I find the idea cool.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Every future concept I have seen shows the ability to talk to you device and have it respond to you...is that not what this is? It is a step towards having a Jarvis in your home. You may not want it which is fine but personally I find the idea cool.[/QUOTE]

Yep. That was the main thing that got me intrigued. If the voice stuff and switching between things works as well as shown that's a huge improvement to the home theater experience in terms of functionality and ease of use.

That said, I still need to see the game lineup, how much graphics are improved etc. I'm sure TiVo or someone else will make a set top box that can do all that media stuff eventually. And if I'm not interested in the games that would be a better purchase than a game console I mostly used for TV and movies.

The new controller still uses AA. Eneloop = Win! The press conference was underwhelming, but I do think the new console looks like a good improvement over the 360. I would like one because I'm a gadget freak and it's the new Xbox and I love the 360 for the most part. But money is tight so I don't think I can swing it. Of course that depends on pricing, but I can't imagine that it's going to $200. :) Also I hope they show Dance Central 4 at E3. The DLC for DC3 was stopped, so either DC is dead, or Harmonix is focusing on DC4 for the One. An improved Kinect and even better Dance Central would be fantastic.

One that that's for sure: unlike with the 360 where we have one downstairs with Kinect and one upstairs in our bedroom without (of course), the One will never set foot in our bedroom. Kinect required? That's not intrusive is it.

At the end of the day this E3 is going to mean alot to all the consoles because if the games they show do not live up to the hype the backlash is just going to get uglier.

[quote name='Shimrra']At the end of the day this E3 is going to mean alot to all the consoles because if the games they show do not live up to the hype the backlash is just going to get uglier.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly my attitude towards these consoles. The peripheral stuff like kinect and tv and sports is just that if the games are great. Same goes for the PS4. Sony did a better job in showing us their focus on games but if in the end they both are similar gaming machines then I think the Xbox one has the edge in terms of an entertainment hub right now. I just think MS is interested in a more general entertainment market right now which we have no idea is the right decision yet.

I don't think the games are going to look all that much better, but we shall see. I think the 360 is HD enough already. I don't even have a 1080p TV. Stuck at 720p. So I doubt I'd see much difference at all. However I imagine that Kinect games will look and play better due to the performance and improved Kinect. There won't be as much of a performance hit with it.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']i use hdmi pass thur on my home theater system that thing has no decrease in picture quatily so if xbox works the same it should be great.[/QUOTE]

Your home theater system is one thing, but this is something else, seeing as the Xbox One adds its own program guide and interactive features of its own. Not sure you can do that and not impact the image even to a small degree.

What I'd want to be able to use the HDMI pass-through for is to plug my 360 into. Because I'm out of HDMI ports. I don't think it's for that, though. :(

Something interesting I just noticed in the pictures from the reveal, specifically this one, seems to show that the Xbox One only supports HDMI output. I'm a little surprised that even though the amount of HDMI capable TVs is reaching a saturation level, that they wouldn't include any option for even component cables.

[quote name='crunchewy']What I'd want to be able to use the HDMI pass-through for is to plug my 360 into. Because I'm out of HDMI ports. I don't think it's for that, though. :([/QUOTE]

I think you just discovered backwards compatibility.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Something interesting I just noticed in the pictures from the reveal, specifically this one, seems to show that the Xbox One only supports HDMI output. I'm a little surprised that even though the amount of HDMI capable TVs is reaching a saturation level, that they wouldn't include any option for even component cables.[/QUOTE]

I would assume they did enough market research that they determined the person buying this console will have a TV with an HDMI port but it will most likely cause an issue for a few people.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Well you don't seem to be biased in the least. It is obvious you are not a console fan but to make the statement about small boost in power compared to last gen is just ignorant. Also what nonsense about kinect? Every future concept I have seen shows the ability to talk to you device and have it respond to you...is that not what this is? It is a step towards having a Jarvis in your home. You may not want it which is fine but personally I find the idea cool.[/QUOTE]

I'm certainly not biased. You can go through my games collection here or look on YouTube and see that I have more Xbox 360 games than PC or alternate console.

I've still seen nothing that made me go, "Ok, game restrictions, online requirements, but damn, look at that feature!"

I don't need to have conversations with my gaming device. I'm old school, and I just want something that plays games well. I know, according to Microsoft's research people spend more time on Xbox watching Netflix than playing games. I, personally, don't use my Xbox for anything other than games, and I'm not excited by having more hoops to deal with just to play my games.

There's something to be said for an old junker that always runs, you know? I'd rather have a console that I could play during the Apocalypse than some entertainment center in a box that became junk the second my internet went out, or the Kinect sensor burned up, or the HDD failed, etc. etc. etc.

That's my opinion on things. We're not at the end of the road yet, but I'll be damned if it isn't a bumpy start.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I would assume they did enough market research that they determined the person buying this console will have a TV with an HDMI port but it will most likely cause an issue for a few people.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, likely, it's interesting in that it feels a little like the standard definition issues the 360 experienced in its early days. I'm wondering if they're going to make both the internet requirement and HDMI only output very clear on the outside of the box, even still I'd imagine there's going to be a lot of customer returns/issues with these 2 requirements.

^ (Broken Cage) I never said you were biased? I quoted someone else.

Anyway, here is a comparison chart of currently known features of the PS4 and Xbox One from IGN. (also a lot of TBA for PS4 so they may have just done a better job of avoiding answering questions about the truly bad parts of the system)

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/P...+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

At this moment I am not seeing a huge discrepancy. Until all the facts are known I am reserving final judgement.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I would assume they did enough market research that they determined the person buying this console will have a TV with an HDMI port but it will most likely cause an issue for a few people.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure there will be adapters for component etc. sold separately.

Better that way as it makes people with outdated hardware have to buy something extra rather than the last few generations where consoles launched with composite cables and people with decent rigs had to buy component it hdmi cables separately.

[quote name='cancerman1120']^ (Broken Cage) I never said you were biased? I quoted someone else.

Anyway, here is a comparison chart of currently known features of the PS4 and Xbox One from IGN. (also a lot of TBA for PS4 so they may have just done a better job of avoiding answering questions about the truly bad parts of the system)

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/P...+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

At this moment I am not seeing a huge discrepancy. Until all the facts are known I am reserving final judgement.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I must have gotten mixed up. I'm trying to post covertly from work.

[quote name='Broken Cage']I'm certainly not biased. You can go through my games collection here or look on YouTube and see that I have more Xbox 360 games than PC or alternate console.

I've still seen nothing that made me go, "Ok, game restrictions, online requirements, but damn, look at that feature!"

I don't need to have conversations with my gaming device. I'm old school, and I just want something that plays games well. I know, according to Microsoft's research people spend more time on Xbox watching Netflix than playing games. I, personally, don't use my Xbox for anything other than games, and I'm not excited by having more hoops to deal with just to play my games.

There's something to be said for an old junker that always runs, you know? I'd rather have a console that I could play during the Apocalypse than some entertainment center in a box that became junk the second my internet went out, or the Kinect sensor burned up, or the HDD failed, etc. etc. etc.

That's my opinion on things. We're not at the end of the road yet, but I'll be damned if it isn't a bumpy start.[/QUOTE]

I saw a picture on reddit earlier this morning showing someone's 360 friends list filled with people watching TV related items and it finally became clear to me why yesterday's reveal event was constructed the way it was. I get what their thought process is, they've looked at years of usage data and see that the majority of Xbox usage is coming down to TV.

The only problem though is they're not looking at the bigger picture. The first is that maybe the Xbox TV usage is an effect of a struggling video game market, nothing interesting to play, might as well watch TV? This leads to the second question though, if people are only using their Xboxes to watch TV, why will they feel compelled to upgrade to a new console just to watch more TV with a slightly slicker interface?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I saw a picture on reddit earlier this morning showing someone's 360 friends list filled with people watching TV related items and it finally became clear to me why yesterday's reveal event was constructed the way it was. I get what their thought process is, they've looked at years of usage data and see that the majority of Xbox usage is coming down to TV.

The only problem though is they're not looking at the bigger picture. The first is that maybe the Xbox TV usage is an effect of a struggling video game market, nothing interesting to play, might as well watch TV? This leads to the second question though, if people are only using their Xboxes to watch TV, why will they feel compelled to upgrade to a new console just to watch more TV with a slightly slicker interface?[/QUOTE]

A valid point. Of course, usage data can be wonky. Many of my friends fire up Netflix on their Xboxes for something to listen to as they fall asleep. When I hop on in the morning before work, I frequently see two or three friends with Netflix/HBO GO running, and I know they're asleep.

[quote name='Willy6500']The sad thing is, it doesn't matter what the cost...I will buy one![/QUOTE]

Lol...may I ask why? Even with all the anti-consumer practices they are doing?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']
The only problem though is they're not looking at the bigger picture. The first is that maybe the Xbox TV usage is an effect of a struggling video game market, nothing interesting to play, might as well watch TV?
[/quote]

There's plenty of great games out there, games selling multi-million copies etc.

My guess on it is it's just a consequence of gaming going more mainstream and gamers average ages creeping up. Thus you have more people playing games casually and using Netflix etc. on it to curl up and watch movies/tv with their partner, their kids (or their kids watching Netflix on their own) etc.

Definitely true for me. My free time shrank after finishing grad school in 2009, and now that I have a serious girlfriend rather than just casually dating my gaming time is further diminished as I'd rather spend free time with her than playing games.

That said, I don't use my 360 for streaming stuff since getting a Bluray player with apps last year as the 360 is too noisy comparitively. So we use the Bluray player at my place or a Roku box at hers.

This leads to the second question though, if people are only using their Xboxes to watch TV, why will they feel compelled to upgrade to a new console just to watch more TV with a slightly slicker interface?

That is the major question. And one I'll be asking myself a lot before buying a new console. If I don't think I'll pick up gaming more seriously going forward, probably best to just bow out and wait for Tivo or one of the cable or satellite companies to put a similar or better interface in their DVRs.

I don't use my Xbox to stream because the damn Kinect keeps messing with the stream by either pausing, fast forwarding, reversing or canceling the stream. Hopefully the new Kinect doesn't do that because it would make all that TV stuff kind of useless especially if you can't remove the Kinect component.

[quote name='cancerman1120']^ (Broken Cage) I never said you were biased? I quoted someone else.

At this moment I am not seeing a huge discrepancy. Until all the facts are known I am reserving final judgement.[/QUOTE]
It seems like they're not jumping to conclusions on confirming some of those categories, but Sony's said that they're doing live streaming through Ustream, PS+ will be on the PS4, and that games will install to the hard drive as you play. Things could change as they get the opportunity to announce more finalized plans, but some of those were already sort of answered.

I really wish Microsoft would be a little more up front with the whole used game thing, it all just seems up in the air at this point. I don't really buy used but I do usually sell some stuff off when I'm done. The other thing did they mention if games would be day and date digital like on the Vita\PS4?

It's not that I actually hate having extra features, but I'm already starting to miss the days of just putting in a disc in your console and have it start up. No menus, no stores, no nonsense.

I'm guessing a lot of people will just stick to the PC, because even though it's all digital they can carry their games from one computer to the next. I built a PC a few years back so maybe I'll just update the graphics card at some point (not that it's a slouch right now).

If anything it seems like this will be the growing pains generation. To early to declare anything really.

[quote name='jkam']
If anything it seems like this will be the growing pains generation. To early to declare anything really.[/QUOTE]

Yep. I think they're struggling on how to market these things as they aren't going to have the "holy shit" factor with improved graphics that we've gotten used to with generation jumps over our life time. Games will look better, but it's not going to be a jump like from 8 bit to 16 bit, from 16 bit to the first 3D consoles, from those to the PS2/Xbox/Dreamcast/GC or from that to the current gen.

Hence Sony talking about streaming and sharing stuff, MS about improving the home theater experience etc. They're trying to sell the need to upgrade for extra features as the graphics and gamplay experience just aren't likely to change very much. There's no new advance there like going to 3D or HD or adding online play or motion control etc. for them to harp on.

Microsoft answered some questions and while you will require an internet connection to operate the console, it has been "designed" to run for a while without it.

One of the reasons is that it runs on the Cloud, so you can pause a game, move to a different room, and play the game on another console. Yea....

[quote name='jkam']I really wish Microsoft would be a little more up front with the whole used game thing, it all just seems up in the air at this point. I don't really buy used but I do usually sell some stuff off when I'm done. The other thing did they mention if games would be day and date digital like on the Vita\PS4? [/QUOTE]

I'm actually surprised by how little MS revealed with regards to the console given how they revealed so much later than the PS4. I knew games weren't going to be a big focus, but we don't know what CPU they're using (other than it's an X86, 8 core processor) or what GPU they'll have. And since Kinect is will be bundled with the system (or at least, I'm assuming it will, since it's required), I wonder how much the system will cost.

Also, MS's stock is taking quite a hit since they revealed the One.

Used games or rental games on XBox One will require a fee to be paid for game to be used, so no used games for free. The fee may be as high as retail cost, so no real benefit if you are buying used. Source IGN: http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/P...+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Your box must connect to the internet every 24 hours (DRM anyone), so all those folks in the army, navy, marines are SOL, the strategy is really US focused as none of that TV stuff will be on for Europe, Asia or Japan at launch.

XBox One reveal was an EPICFAIL, they should have focused on their core audience the gamer and not TV, Kinect, browser and multitasking. What are they building a PC ?? Their core audience is your grandma who has struggled operating the TV remote for the last 50 years, till now !!

XBox One Jump Out while you can

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back