Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it depends on how much you value instant switching of games without inserting a disk. the ability to play another game while waiting for match making is impossible without the diskless drm.

do you still want to insert game disc for every game you own forever?
LOL, are you serious?

Between you and the "Sony doesn't care about developers" guy we have some serious cognitive dissonance going on up in here.

The online DRM absolutely kills it for me--and it really bums me out, having been a huge MS supporter over the past two generations.

If MS allows bypassing the 24-hour check-in by having physical media in the drive (or simply does away with online checks entirely) I'd be on board again, even at the higher price.  I actually preferred their show and the games they presented.  I'd love to see them backpedal, but I'm really not confident they will.  If not, I'll purchase a PS4 on day one, with the X1 coming way later--if at all.

As stupid as it is, though, I'm going to hate losing my Gamerscore...

Can't believe I;m saying this, but: maybe Microsoft should of featured kinect more in their presentation. $100 difference mainly comes there, and no real attraction to justify it.
Very valid point but I think you have to look at both presentation as a one the May and today's along with Sony's February conference and today's to truly see the full package and value.

I have preordered both and currently own both. I am more intrigued by X1 and will more than likely stay on that path.

The real decision will not come today but in the coming weeks when we learn more.

You can definitely tell that there truly wasn't a need for a new generation of gaming in 2013 when things are so similar between the two.
agreed.

MS is basically banking on 3 things: people really love TV integration; their online experience (digital games, "family-sharing", persistent servers) rocks, and kinect with some worthwhile games.

They definitely lost momentum among hardcore gamers, but maybe in a few years (maybe even earlier?) they aren't dead yet.

One thing I'm confused about, is if Sony isn't on board with the no-used-game thing, how are the publishers doing a deal with Microsoft? More exclusives?

They're making Gamerscore meaningless next gen anyway, though. A day-one achievement for preordering the console? Achievements for buying a lot of games from the same publisher? Achievements for watching TV? Achievements for purchasing content? Achievements were great... why fix what isn't broken? They took a fragile ecosystem and disrupted it.

So Microsoft HAS to eliminate their DRM and used game plans now right? I mean how can they have the more expensive system AND be more restrictive? SOME people will buy it but for a lot of people (like me) who were on the fence this is a no brainer right now.  

Can't believe I;m saying this, but: maybe Microsoft should of featured kinect more in their presentation. $100 difference mainly comes there, and no real attraction to justify it.
Very valid point but I think you have to look at both presentation as a one the May and today's along with Sony's February conference and today's to truly see the full package and value.

I have preordered both and currently own both. I am more intrigued by X1 and will more than likely stay on that path.

The real decision will not come today but in the coming weeks when we learn more.

You can definitely tell that there truly wasn't a need for a new generation of gaming in 2013 when things are so similar between the two.
agreed.

MS is basically banking on 3 things: people really love TV integration; their online experience (digital games, "family-sharing", persistent servers) rocks, and kinect with some worthwhile games.

They definitely lost momentum among hardcore gamers, but maybe in a few years (maybe even earlier?) they aren't dead yet.

One thing I'm confused about, is if Sony isn't on board with the no-used-game thing, how are the publishers doing a deal with Microsoft? More exclusives?
That would explain Microsoft getting the Battlefield content early. PS3 got Battlefield 3 content early, so would it surprise you if EA was one of the main companies pushing MS to do the DRM thing?

Damn Sony killed it tonight. No online requirement, no trade or used game restrictions (as it freaking SHOULD be), $100 cheaper, and support for indie developers. Also possible streaming PS3 games through Gakai. Still no word on backwards compatibility but I'm guessing no (saddly), which is likely to push gakai service. Also suckes that PS+ now required for multiplayer but servers cost money on a recurrent basis and since PS+ gives so many benefits I can accept that.

I can't understand how any consumer can support MS in this - they have forsaken their user base and are essentially killing the video game console as we know it. Sure, some of the flashy social stuff is cool for a minute, but at what cost?!

They're making Gamerscore meaningless next gen anyway, though. A day-one achievement for preordering the console? Achievements for buying a lot of games from the same publisher? Achievements for watching TV? Achievements for purchasing content? Achievements were great... why fix what isn't broken? They took a fragile ecosystem and disrupted it.
I had heard there was a patent for the TV watching, but I wasn't aware it had been implemented. This is also the first I've heard of achievements for making purchases (though I knew about the bonus "pre-order" achievement). If this is all true, it really does kill the nice metagame they had going.

It does make switching to Sony's camp a little bit easier, though.

Damn Sony killed it tonight. No online requirement, no trade or used game restrictions (as it freaking SHOULD be), $100 cheaper, and support for indie developers. Also possible streaming PS3 games through Gakai. Still no word on backwards compatibility but I'm guessing no (saddly), which is likely to push gakai service. Also suckes that PS+ now required for multiplayer but servers cost money on a recurrent basis and since PS+ gives so many benefits I can accept that.

I can't understand how any consumer can support MS in this - they have forsaken their user base and are essentially killing the video game console as we know it. Sure, some of the flashy social stuff is cool for a minute, but at what cost?!
pretty sure Sony said that it wouldn't be backwards compatible at the Sony event in Febuary.

Not that achievements carried much weight before, but they're definitely jumping the shark with the Xbone.

That would explain Microsoft getting the Battlefield content early. PS3 got Battlefield 3 content early, so would it surprise you if EA was one of the main companies pushing MS to do the DRM thing?
I wonder how EA felt with Microsoft messing up their sound in their reveal.

i think im more angry at ms then anything tonight. MAN i love like 3 x1 only games and 2 for ps4 only but i just can't do it with 500 price point and the 24 hour thing. At least i got both pre orderd on amazon so i can rest easy and have until nov to decided. i just feel ms drop the ball with the price point mostly. i might just hold out and not buy any at launch seeing most of the games i want to play don't even come out at launch most are 2014 games.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Microsoft HAS to eliminate their DRM and used game plans now right? I mean how can they have the more expensive system AND be more restrictive?
But they really can't, at least right now. A lot of the goodwill they've built up with EA/Ubisoft/whoever is due to their restrictive DRM. They can't suddenly go back and say "sorry, we're dumping that since people don't like it."

The funny part is, if this impacts sales to the point where the PS4 completely blows the XBox away, the publishers are going to favor the PS4 anyway, no matter what Microsoft does for DRM. They'll cater to wherever they will sell the most copies...so this DRM pandering may wind up being all for nothing.

-------------

It's funny, I jumped onboard with both the XBox and 360 because Sony's blind arrogance really turned me off at the time. Now they have switched roles and, if I buy a console, it'll be switching back to Sony for the same reason.

agreed.

Why does everyone assume it's the other publishers that are pushing Microsoft to do DRM? Microsoft is a strong supporter of DRM and has it in all of their other products (Windows, Microsoft Office, Games for Windows Live), why would other companies need to push them to put it in their console?

I love achievements and it would have been a big reason for me to stick with Microsoft over Sony for next gen, but you're right, it seems like they're basically changing the system into something unrecognizable anyway.

I like how you skipped over the word you couldn't define. All these weeks you've been suckling at the teat of MS, knowing full well what was coming with the XBox One. Sony has their event, and you immediately jump on the bandwagon. Have some fucking dignity and admit you've been full of shit for the past month.

why im i a piece of shit because i refuse to pay 500 dollers for a system and need to be online every 24 hours? im sorry if i don't want to pay 500 bucks for syste

What a fickle piece of shit you are.

i have been a xbox fan since xbox in 2001 my first next gen system is ps4 TimboSliceGB, on 10 Jun 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

pitfallharry219, on 10 Jun 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

TimboSliceGB, on 10 Jun 2013 - 10:09 PM, said:

pitfallharry219, on 10 Jun 2013 - 10:18 PM, said:

I think you're being rather nice to him... Its been more than a month. :lol:

Anyhow, I honestly have no idea how I should feel...

Sony's press conferince was horriblely boring, I couldn't hear it very well because they didn't record the audio loud enough, where ever their live feed for their gameplay was coming from was a trainwreck (I honestly thought it was the streaming that was skipping but when they cut away to show the aaduaince/presentor they where still moving), only one exculsive that intrest me (more on this in a moment), and a presenter... Who, at the risk of sounding like a racist asshole (which I'm not, at least on the racist part) really shouldn't have been presenting when his english was that poor... Maybe it was just the volume thing as MS had a number of non native english speakers and I had no trouble with them... but, yeah, anytime you have someone watching who's looking to see if gametrailers closed caption option would work you've done something seriously wrong.

All that said..

The price point was amazing...

The no DRM restrictions was outstanding.

So nothing amazing game wise that I can get only on their system (I did like the King Arthur meets Ripper Street meets demons vibe that The Order gave off) verus a console that looked like it had nothing but intresting exculsives... And I'm looking more favorably at the one that showed me less...?

Strange times we live in, indeed...

A way MS could save with the DRM thing that would work in my opinion is to have no drm is you have the disc. If you don't want to use the disc then you could have a check every 24 hours. The used game thing? I don't think they can really change it at this point. As for the price of the Xbox 1, the only thing I can really see them doing is adding 6 months - 1 year of Xbox Live Gold with every console

agreed.

Why does everyone assume it's the other publishers that are pushing Microsoft to do DRM? Microsoft is a strong supporter of DRM and has it in all of their other products (Windows, Microsoft Office, Games for Windows Live), why would other companies need to push them to put it in their console?
As far as I am aware Microsoft has said that it was the publishers that wanted the used game restrictions and DRM. I could be wrong but I thought I remember them saying that

agreed.

it's been knowing for years game publishers wanted part of the used game sales

this past gen i got a 360 first because of price looks like this time will be ps4 for that reason. yes it's only 100 dollers but that 100 dollers plus 20 more is two games at that would be the price of xbox one after tax. with ps4 i will spend around 530 for system and two games. With xbox one i would be spending 650-700 biggg diff.

i think im more angry at ms then anything tonight. MAN i love like 3 x1 only games and non for ps4 only but i just can't do it with 500 price point and the 24 hour thing. At least i got both pre orderd on amazon so i can rest easy and have until nov to decided. i just feel ms drop the ball with the price point mostly. i might just hold out and not buy any at launch seeing most of the games i want to play don't even come out at launch most are 2014 games.
for me DRM doesn't matter my Xbox is online 24/7 either way the $100 more does hurt especially considering the PS4 has better/faster RAM but in the end the games are what make it easy for me. I like western style games so its a choice between games like Ryse, Quantum Break, Dead Rising 3 or Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Knack.

damn. So Sony wins hand down
hey how you enjoy ms press conf. i would have love to been at conf but happy to play some of these ms and sony games tommow can not wait jsut in my hotel been here all day watching this stuff

One thing I wonder... Has Sony's focus on the backend of this generation hurt their launch/year one lineup for next gen?
that's the thing i was wondering i don't really want any of the 1st party launch titles for ps4 i really don't now with x1 i really want 3 of those exlusive games but the 24 hour thing and 500 bucks is pushing it for me to get x1 at launch

who knows maybe once i play some of the sony games on floor this week i will get hooked and same thing could be said for ms games i could decided to pay 500 bucks if i like them enough can't wait for tom.

So Microsoft HAS to eliminate their DRM and used game plans now right? I mean how can they have the more expensive system AND be more restrictive? SOME people will buy it but for a lot of people (like me) who were on the fence this is a no brainer right now.
Not sure if they can at this point, maybe they can make it less restrictive? I was talking to one of my friends the other day who is a huge xbox guy and he kept going on and on about how there's no way in hell xbox is doing the whole DRM thing and not Sony, and I agreed. I just hoped Sony would be the lesser of two evils. I was very shocked with what they anncouce tonight and can't understand why MS would go that route when Sony is not.

One thing I haven't seen discussed much is the required kinect connection just to use the XBONE. I mean the fact that kinect is required for your console to work is BS by itself, but what about the privacy implications? With all we've learned this week alone about the NSA having carte blanche ability to spy on every online account we have without a specific (personalized) warrant, you would honestly have to be nuts to give microsoft (a company handing over user data to the NSA/government) a camera in your home! Not to mention the lack of protections you have against MS using whatever they record (unkown to you) for whatever purposes they see fit!

Not sure if they can at this point, maybe they can make it less restrictive? I was talking to one of my friends the other day who is a huge xbox guy and he kept going on and on about how there's no way in hell xbox is doing the whole DRM thing and not Sony, and I agreed. I just hoped Sony would be the lesser of two evils. I was very shocked with what they anncouce tonight and can't understand why MS would go that route when Sony is not.
maybe sony seen the backlash and made a 360

One thing I haven't seen discussed much is the required kinect connection just to use the XBONE. I mean the fact that kinect is required for your console to work is BS by itself, but what about the privacy implications? With all we've learned this week alone about the NSA having carte blanche ability to spy on every online account we have without a specific (personalized) warrant, you would honestly have to be nuts to give microsoft (a company handing over user data to the NSA/government) a camera in your home! Not to mention the lack of protections you have against MS using whatever they record (unkown to you) for whatever purposes they see fit!
you cna turn kinect off and even unhook it when system is not in use. But most people have cams connected to their computer these days whats not to say thsoe things are not used to spy on you .

Microsoft failed miserably.  This competition is over, why would anyone buy an Xbox One?  Ridiculous DRM associated with the Xbox One and it's being sold $100 more for the privilege of being screwed over by Publishers?  You'd have to be an idiot to buy an Xbox One, or just very wealthy.

Hey guys here some clarification on how to share games on PS4. I know the Whole Xbox thing was a bit confusing. This is how PS4 is handling the issue. I hope you can grasp the concept....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA

Hey guys here some clarification on how to share games on PS4. I know the Whole Xbox thing was a bit confusing. This is how PS4 is handling the issue. I hope you can grasp the concept....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA
Thanks, because Timbo was sure it was going to be the same as the XBone. That should clear it up for him.

Microsoft failed miserably. This competition is over, why would anyone buy an Xbox One? Ridiculous DRM associated with the Xbox One and it's being sold $100 more for the privilege of being screwed over by Publishers? You'd have to be an idiot to buy an Xbox One, or just very wealthy.
Tack me down as wealthy.

And TimboGS what a joke. Dick-riding MS the entire thread for a month only to jump ship at $100.

lulz

It was a awesome day. Sony kicked ass and MS sucked. Games were interting enough but I felt there were too many FPS games.

Highlight for me was seeing Angy Joe and HHG

They've said you can turn every Kinect feature off which ultimately means Kinect isn't required. They want the persistent connection for people that don't take the time to turn said features off so they can spy for ad revenue. It's quite simply horseshit.

They've said you can turn every Kinect feature off which ultimately means Kinect isn't required. They want the persistent connection for people that don't take the time to turn said features off so they can spy for ad revenue. It's quite simply horseshit.
It's also said that even with turning the Kinect features off it will need to be turned on once every 24hours.

It was a awesome day. Sony kicked ass and MS sucked. Games were interting enough but I felt there were too many FPS games.

I don't know what conferences you watched, MS hit it out of the ball park with their conference the thing is Sony hit it perfectly on price and DRM, gaming wise it was very lackluster

Well, today made my decision easy.  Preordered a PS4 on Amazon.

360 got most play from me, but I can't support that DRM model, online authentication daily, forced Kinect stuff I don't want or a $500 price tag.

$400 is a bit more than I like to pay for a gaming console, but I'll happily pay it to support Sony focusing on games, not having this BS forced online, forced camera, shitty DRM etc.  Have a couple DLC things to knock off on 360 and then I'll sell it off as well.

MS got curb stomped by Sony tonight in my opinion.  If they do a complete about face and change their minds about restricting used games and online requirements and kinect requirements and pretty much everything else they've announced then I'd consider buying the XBone.  That will almost certainly not happen though and next gen will be all PS4.

They did say that, but the kinect must be plugged in for the XBONE to work. Also, I'm not sure how turning it on relates to the online check requirements (required?). And what about games that require the kinect for minor features - will those be playable with it disabled - or will you purchase a new game, install it, then find out it requires kinect for some voice control features that you are uninterested in - but now you have little recourse for return/resell because of restrictive DRM. What exactly will MS do with video/audio recorded when kinect isn't "disabled". Could the government ask for and receive recorded or live data from all kinect users without their knowdledge - probably... I don't know the answers to those questions, but I know that I value what little privacy we have left in this society, and personally would not accept the risks of such a system in my house. Undoubtedly such issues will become commonplace one day, and we all may be faced with "smart" and everpresent appliances, consoles, tv's, etc- but hopefully by that point we can have some legal standing for privacy protections from both companies and our own government.

Wow. I guess I'm going PS4/Wii U (just waiting on that price drop and/or library of games, Nintendo) Seriously, I think Nintendo could be right back in this thing with a single 199.99 SKU, marketing, and solid games. And the PS4 is already sitting pretty, as far as hardcore gamers go, I figure....

I imagine only people who do not know about the massive DRM and like Halo and want the next Halo would buy the X1, Also casuals and parents who have no idea about the DRM and want the next new game box will buy it. (but not next to a 399 PS4 imo )

I am pretty surprised that the X1 games arn;t going to be MSRP 29.99 across the board. That could make up for the DRM in some way.

But really a clear message needs to be sent to MS about DRM , and that means just not buying their system.

My nephew was over today (age 12 ) and asked me when the new xbox was coming out. I told him and his sister they were not allowed to have one and explained what ms was doing. they both agreed and now want a ps4 :)

Anyone else think of microsoft as the future umbrella corporation?

Ditto buddy

The online DRM absolutely kills it for me--and it really bums me out, having been a huge MS supporter over the past two generations.

If MS allows bypassing the 24-hour check-in by having physical media in the drive (or simply does away with online checks entirely) I'd be on board again, even at the higher price. I actually preferred their show and the games they presented. I'd love to see them backpedal, but I'm really not confident they will. If not, I'll purchase a PS4 on day one, with the X1 coming way later--if at all.

Some funnys I found:

iEnUwopH4meEu.gif

ku-xlarge.jpg

As far as I am aware Microsoft has said that it was the publishers that wanted the used game restrictions and DRM. I could be wrong but I thought I remember them saying that
That was Microsoft trying to deflect some of the hate off of them. Publishers have said Microsoft presented the DRM scheme to them, not vise-versa.

I don't know what conferences you watched, MS hit it out of the ball park with their conference the thing is Sony hit it perfectly on price and DRM, gaming wise it was very lackluster
For the most part the best games Microsoft showed were multiplats.Metal Gear Solid 5, Witcher 3, Battlefield 4, and Titanfall. Everything else was a cut scene except Dead Rising which I did like. Don't know why people are excited over Killer Instinct, that game looked so meh.

Looking forward to the Cheapy xbone spin on the podcast. :)
Yeah I found the podcast pretty hard to listen to with how much he was being an MS apologist. Guess he can eat some crow now especially when he was saying no way Sony isn't doing the same.

Ok peeps. Add me and we'll have some online gameplay. Well, I may not be, actually, playing with you, um, but I will kinda sorta, um, the game keeps going when I'm asleep or out and it learns how I play so it will, kinda, be like I'm playing with you. Don't mind if it looks like a continuous loop or anything. That is me playing, sorta. K. Thx. Bye.

Do you reckon that Sony back early on was going to similarly support no used games, online requirements with console etc - but after seeing how MS got slammed changed their way of thinking? Because sony got massive applauds when they showed used games, no online restrictions etc. It seems like a super easy thing to get cheers

Jeff Gerstmann said on a Twitch stream a few minutes ago that he heard (second hand, but fairly reliable) that Sony's price was not set until after the Microsoft reveal. If that's the case, you can't say Sony wasn't motivated. Daymn.

Again, MS didn't put on a shitty show by any means. There were a lot of cool games shown. It just doesn't matter when the entire presentation is tainted by your shitty regulations.  MS really did shoot themselves in the head with this.

Looks like I will just stick with the 360 for awhile. Sony is def looking stronger for the new console but I have never been a fan of their controller since I switched from ps2 to Xbox so I will just wait till hopefully MS cleans up their act (doubt it) or just do without. Time to start reading again anyways...lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back