Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what cracks me up? Is the amount of people on facebook, etc. think that the internet = the view of the world. Here's a few examples:

The original Wii was hated by the hardcore fans/the internet. Guess what? Ended up being the best selling system last gen.
The Kinect was trashed by 360 fans and the internet. Ended up being the best selling "add on" of all time AFAIK.
The Vita was praised for It's graphics and playability when shown at E3. Everyone was wowed by it. When it released, the reception was lackluster and It's being outsold by the 3DS 8 to 1.

I have a feeling the XBox One will do just fine.

Also, funny how Nintendo and Microsoft have one thing in common.
The Wii U tablet controller is costing Nintendo it's chance to do a price cut.
The XBox 1 Kinect 2.0 camera is costing Microsoft It's chance to do a price cut (granted they can afford it, but they outlined profitablity day one. Which wouldn't be possible at a lower price tag.)
Since launch Xbox Ones are pretty much sold out everywhere, it's definitely going to be just fine. I truly believe once it comes out and people actually see it, and all the negative hype dies out, lots of people will warm to it.
It's probably going to be supply constrained so there won't be enough to meet demand. Given the "low yields" rumor, they may have less consoles at launch than the Wii U had.

According to Pachter 30% of games are traded in. That's a lot of people trading games. I don't think it's going to "die down".

I think the Xbox One's install base is going to be significantly smaller than the PS4's.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Pachter 30% of games are traded in. That's a lot of people trading games. I don't think it's going to "die down".

I think the Xbox One's install base is going to be significantly smaller than the PS4's.
Problem is that a huge chunk of that is people who already trade into Gamestop and thus won't be affected by this.

I think the PS4 will end up selling more-especially worldwide given the PS3 is pretty close to the 360 in global sales, just a good bit behind in North America.

But I think US sales will be close. CoD has a much bigger user base on 360 than PS3, and most of those will probably stay on Xbox to play with their friends. Halo and Gears have big follwings and will sell systems when they come out.

Add in that the MS system seller games appeal to the casual/mainstream gamer who is less informed on this stuff, and probably just trading games to Gamestop already, and the sales gap will be closer than many expect probably, unfortunately.

You know what cracks me up? Is the amount of people on facebook, etc. think that the internet = the view of the world. Here's a few examples:

The original Wii was hated by the hardcore fans/the internet. Guess what? Ended up being the best selling system last gen.
The Kinect was trashed by 360 fans and the internet. Ended up being the best selling "add on" of all time AFAIK.
The Vita was praised for It's graphics and playability when shown at E3. Everyone was wowed by it. When it released, the reception was lackluster and It's being outsold by the 3DS 8 to 1.

I have a feeling the XBox One will do just fine.

Also, funny how Nintendo and Microsoft have one thing in common.
The Wii U tablet controller is costing Nintendo it's chance to do a price cut.
The XBox 1 Kinect 2.0 camera is costing Microsoft It's chance to do a price cut (granted they can afford it, but they outlined profitablity day one. Which wouldn't be possible at a lower price tag.)
Since launch Xbox Ones are pretty much sold out everywhere, it's definitely going to be just fine. I truly believe once it comes out and people actually see it, and all the negative hype dies out, lots of people will warm to it.
I don't know too many people who haven't preordered both and plan on cancelling one once we've made up our minds. That said, there will still be more demand than supply over the holidays. It's after the holidays that we'll see just how well it actually performs. I think there will be a lot of moms bringing back their systems because Johnny can't play the games without Internet and they don't want Johnny to be on the Internet at his age.

One thing I wonder: How would demo units in stores work? Most retail stores only have wifi in their cafe areas (if they have it at all). Only Best Buy has wifi throughout the store.

One thing I wonder: How would demo units in stores work? Most retail stores only have wifi in their cafe areas (if they have it at all). Only Best Buy has wifi throughout the store.
Don't they just send out demo discs (or digital files) with games they currently want demoed? Rather than stores just popping in a regular copy of a game to demo--at least at big box stores with official demo stations etc.

Point being, I'd assume MS would just send stores demo discs that didn't need authentication.

Don't they just send out demo discs (or digital files) with games they currently want demoed? Rather than stores just popping in a regular copy of a game to demo--at least at big box stores with official demo stations etc.

Point being, I'd assume MS would just send stores demo discs that didn't need authentication.
It varies. I have seen demo discs and have seen regular games at various times.

To all of the "no used games isn't a problem" people: have you ever tried to buy a niche OOP title years after its release? Nine times out of ten the only feasible option is a used copy. Games like Deadly Premonition or Xenoblade would be denied the slow burn that led to their cult status. You either buy it at launch or you're fucked (barring a digital download at full price, if it's even available).
Why would anyone fret over not getting to play a game like Deadly Premonition? It's one of the worst reviewed games of all time.

To all of the "no used games isn't a problem" people: have you ever tried to buy a niche OOP title years after its release? Nine times out of ten the only feasible option is a used copy. Games like Deadly Premonition or Xenoblade would be denied the slow burn that led to their cult status. You either buy it at launch or you're fucked (barring a digital download at full price, if it's even available).
Why would anyone fret over not getting to play a game like Deadly Premonition? It's one of the worst reviewed games of all time.
Not everyone has the same tastes in games.

Not really, it's 68 on Metacritic, with most critic reviews being positive. No it wasn't reviewed incredibly well, but it's one of the reasons I got a 360 (along with Alan Wake, Mass Effect, and a small handful of others). Just because a game doesn't get stellar reviews, or in this case reviews that are all over the board (a 20 from IGN and a perfect 100 from Destructoid) doesn't mean it's necessarily bad. I prefer a game that has a worthwhile story and, admittedly, a fare amount of quirk over the same run-and-gun experience I could have played 400 times over the last 2 generations. If I had a choice between another Deadly Premonition and the most polished military themed shooter ever to grace a console, I'd take DP every time.

Plus I'm a huge Twin Peaks fan, and the game gets so much better in that context.

Only being able to trade/sell games to participating retailers was the main kicker that drove me to PS4--along with X1 being $100 more. I seldom replay games, and don't collect games. When I'm done with a game it gets listed and sold on the Amazon marketplace immediately. I don't want to give that up and be forced to take the peanuts Gamestop and other participating retailers give for trade ins, especially when these restricted games are costing the same $60 they do now at launch. Restricted games just don't have the same value since you won't be able to sell them for as much as we can now--regardless if we're talking buying a game for $60 a launch or $20 months/years later.
I only drop $60 on games knowing I'm going to get a portion (and usually half) of it back either by Amazon Marketplace or trade-in. Take that away, as MS just has, and I'm out. I don't amass a huge game collection that sits on my shelf, so I am totally disinterested in the Xbox One, because it totally impacts me and what I spend on games every year. "Trusting" GS or one of the "participating retailers" to give me the same type of value...no thanks!

"MIcrosoft dropped the ball" "Xbox is going to fail" "Good luck selling that"...

Comment after comment. An yet, it's constantly breaking preorder sales records. I feel like I'm failing at math here, but 2+2 does equal 4 right?

This thing will be a hit, because the majority simply dont give a crap about DRM, and its not even that bad of DRM. The majority trade in their games to Gamestop/Amazon, the majority wont be affected in anyway. The majority of households in the US have Internet, and have Cable TV. Cord cutting is still a pipe dream that simply isnt happening regularly. 

This console wasnt designed for 2010 like PS4. This console was designed for 2013 and beyond. Where high speed internet isnt simply a luxury, its a basic necessity such as power or water. You know its coming, we all know its coming. It might not be here right this second, but it will be coming in the lifetime of this console. Some of us are just there already.

Just dont understand the massive circle jerking going on personally. Especially on the used game front, since that could actually be a massive benefit. Picture trading in your games via a Impulse type app directly on your dashboard, and buying a used game directly on your dashboard as well. You simply coudnt do that on the PS4, but you could on a Xbox One, since the Disc is meaningless, its the key with the Disc that matters.

^ I totally get all of this. Lots of people don't. I think it's just fear of unknown more than anything. This is why I'm saying once the system comes out, I think everything will be fine.

Looks like this heavy 360 user will likely be going with a PS4 to start the next generation. Microsoft will have to get their heads out of their asses to get me back on board.

I have to agree with Ashane on this.

Personally I never trade or sell games, it's why my 360 collection sits at close to 200 games right now, and I'm always connected online anyways, and the few times my internet DOES go out completely it's for

This thing will be a hit, because the majority simply dont give a crap about DRM, and its not even that bad of DRM. The majority trade in their games to Gamestop/Amazon, the majority wont be affected in anyway. The majority of households in the US have Internet, and have Cable TV. Cord cutting is still a pipe dream that simply isnt happening regularly.
Let's just say that the majority doesn't know about the Xbone's DRM strategy. If you think the backlash is bad now, it's only going to get worse when the general public gets their hands on the system in November and discover how the new system works.

And I really think you're underselling the fact that people won't be affected with trade-ins. I really doubt that Gamestop & Amazon are going to be willing to eat the trade-in fee imposed by the Xbone. For example, if Activision demands a $6 cut from every game that gets traded in that could very well mean that you're going to get $3 less in trade-in credit and buying used games will cost you $3 more.

I cut the cord back in 2007 and haven't looked back since. MS really made a huge mistake by betting big on broadcast TV IMO.

We also need to remember we are the minority not the majority here
Yeah, the majority I know are moms buying systems for their kids. Most I know don't even have those systems hooked to the Internet (until they at least get to a certain age). They're going to buy the system and become frustrated and then angry when they find that "it isn't working".

Personally I never trade or sell games, it's why my 360 collection sits at close to 200 games right now, and I'm always connected online anyways, and the few times my internet DOES go out completely it's for <4 hours anyways.
The problem here is that you are focusing on just your internet. It goes beyond that. How often does Xbox Live go down? Sometimes, it's been down for weeks on end. Sony's hack was bad, but you could still play offline. Now imagine a hack group cut you off from playing games from a month, both single player and multiplayer. Your box is bricked, period. Doesn't matter if your connection is good.

Let's not pretend that Live has been super reliable with it's service.

And it's even more annoying when many of these same people use Steam, or own Apple or smartphones/devices which have apps that cannot be sold, are DRM locked, etc, etc, I mean I honestly wonder how many people who complain about DRM and connectivity being required own/use devices such as iPhones and iPods where the music is DRM, movies/shwos are DRM, games and app DRM, or steam with it's DRM or any other services like this?

I mean seriously, the world is evolving into an always connected place, Spotify and services like that are more and more popular and require broadband, Netflix, Hulu and the like are all always connected and you own none of the content, the list goes on.
Except you are looking at purely digital content as opposed to retail discs like the Xbox One. Yes it has digital content too, but that's not the entire problem. If you want to compare it to iPhones and iPods, it would be as if you purchased a cd, downloaded it to your device, and because you weren't connected to the internet once a day, you couldn't listen to it. That's not how it works and would be ridiculous to believe it would. Yet, that's how the X1 will work.

i will say it's great that seems like microsoft will be supporting 360 for years to come. i remember when 360 came out it was RIP for xbox right away in microsoft mind. It now makes since why they put out a new 360 that looks like xbox one and will be putting xbox one dashboard on the 360 also. I really think most major 3rd party games and some first party games will still be on 360 for many years which is great.

with that said im really really leaning towards a ps4 at launch for my next gen fix and keep 360 to play with most o my friends that are not buying next gen system right away.

I've yet to hear someone explain the benefit of a constant connection, I keep reading its the future blah blah blah, but never what is the actual benefit.
I am a huge 360 guy, never thought MS would fuck up as much as they did to lose me. 90% of all the MS horseshit doesn't affect me, it's just the principal of it all.

I've yet to hear someone explain the benefit of a constant connection, I keep reading its the future blah blah blah, but never what is the actual benefit.
I am a huge 360 guy, never thought MS would fuck up as much as they did to lose me. 90% of all the MS horseshit doesn't affect me, it's just the principal of it all.
it's not constant connection just has to be every 24 hours to auth games nothing else

wonder if CBOATs prediction about the second wave of DRM policies to come out at Gamescom will get nixed because of the response from Sonys e3 press conference.

could someone link to something that says the xbone is breaking pre order sales? one that isnt from Blockbuster. lol.

edit: http://microsoft-news.com/sony-playstation-pre-order-sales-ahead-of-xbox-one-on-amazon-should-microsoft-react/
http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/e3-xbox-one-pre-order While it may be #2 on Amazon, no one knows how many units that is. Early reports were 2.3% less then PS4.

UK : http://metro.co.uk/2013/06/03/asda-xbox-one-is-our-fastest-selling-pre-order-console-3826800/

While not a record, Gamestop: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/GameStop-Xbox-One-First-to-Know-Pre-order-Demand,22772.html

Futureshop also had numbers up but damned if I can find the link again.. :( Google fu fail.

Personally I never trade or sell games, it's why my 360 collection sits at close to 200 games right now, and I'm always connected online anyways, and the few times my internet DOES go out completely it's for <4 hours anyways.
The problem here is that you are focusing on just your internet. It goes beyond that. How often does Xbox Live go down? Sometimes, it's been down for weeks on end. Sony's hack was bad, but you could still play offline. Now imagine a hack group cut you off from playing games from a month, both single player and multiplayer. Your box is bricked, period. Doesn't matter if your connection is good.

Let's not pretend that Live has been super reliable with it's service.

Uh, what?

I dont think I've seen Live down for a week... in a very long time. The only thing I can find is in 2007. Are you really going to talk about 6 years ago?

Unless your thinking about PSN, which was down for a *month* and resulted in the theft of my credit card, which I had to cancel and get a new card. (Thanks Sony! <3)

So yeah, sorry, but you cant even compare PSN to Xbox Live. Not even in the slightest. One has a stellar track record of being online, very rare down times. The other has a record of being down alot, horrible connections, and lackluster security.

xbox live servers are 20 times better then sony servers ever been. I know for me downloads take for ever on ps3 servers compared to 360 lets hope ps4 servers are better.

Here is a look at the sizing of the consoles

2u8ezupu.jpg

youre listing article back from may and early june before e3. the other article listed Supermarket chain Asda as one claiming the pre order was the fasting selling. SUPERMARKET CHAIN. fucking l-o-l

Ashane all those news information is before the PS4 announcement, not relevant no more. Cheapy just reported on twitter last night that PS4 preorders from cags are 46% higher than for Xbox one.

xbox live servers are 20 times better then sony servers ever been. I know for me downloads take for ever on ps3 servers compared to 360 lets hope ps4 servers are better.

Agreed! And there is nothing I hate more than downloading a game for 3-4 hours on PS3 and then waiting another 45-60 minutes for it to install afterwards. Which you can't multitask through. To me that is a huge pain in the ass!

i remember when socom 4 came out day one it had a giant update like 2-3 gb's took over a hour to just download a game patch if that was xbox the patch would have been pretty dang small.

it's not constant connection just has to be every 24 hours to auth games nothing else
I know that, but it keeps being brought up as some type of forward thinking, oh the benefits. Just nobody (that I've read) has said what those are.

I posted this inthe Xbox preorder thread, but it got deleted for being OT, I guess. Is there any reason why Microsoft couldn't do away with the DRM policy given enough of an outcry? Someone responded to me and said that they couldn't because the system was designed to be always online, but it seems to me that if you can game for 24 hours without checking in, you could do it indefinitely.

This is my biggest qualm about the XB1. I can stand the used game stuff since I generally buy new, but the idea that I couldn't boot up the system in 10 or more years (like I like to do occasionally) and play my old games is a deal breaker.
Do you honestly think that disabling the 24 hour check 10 years down the road woudnt be as simple as a checkmark box? Honestly?

The system is designed to be online 24/7, mostly because the games are designed that way. Count the E3 titles. How many *arent* in a online persistent world? Very few that anyone cares about.

This is nothing more then Simcity "always online". We all know the Xbox One can play without it, but its a piracy mechanic in place.
Do you work for Microsoft or something? I am pretty sure all of the titles shown at MS conference have single player portions that can/will be played without an internet connection. The 24 hour check in is just an arbitrary DRM measure. I see no reason why it couldn't be done away with (say many years from now when the servers are shut down). The system is designed to be always on, but that doesn't mean all or even most of the games are (especially multiplats). Obviously many of the system features wouldn't work, but playing a game can.

I am surprised at the size difference in the two consoles. I wonder if MS decided they were not going to have another RROD situation and gave their unit plenty of breathing room. I hope Sony has not shoved too much into a tiny space. Especially since the PS3 has an internal power source I wonder if the PS4 does? We already know the Xbox One does not. Hmm... 

I am surprised at the size difference in the two consoles. I wonder if MS decided they were not going to have another RROD situation and gave their unit plenty of breathing room. I hope Sony has not shoved too much into a tiny space. Especially since the PS3 has an internal power source I wonder if the PS4 does? We already know the Xbox One does not. Hmm...
in person x1 is not that big it's pretty small and kinect is smaller then first kinect. ps4 in person is about the size of ps3 but little more flat.

Uh, what?

I dont think I've seen Live down for a week... in a very long time. The only thing I can find is in 2007. Are you really going to talk about 6 years ago?

Unless your thinking about PSN, which was down for a *month* and resulted in the theft of my credit card, which I had to cancel and get a new card. (Thanks Sony! <3)

So yeah, sorry, but you cant even compare PSN to Xbox Live. Not even in the slightest. One has a stellar track record of being online, very rare down times. The other has a record of being down alot, horrible connections, and lackluster security.

Outside of the hack (which can happen to Microsoft, and I would expect will if things don't change) and their ridiculous "maintenance" that occurs so often, how often has PSN been down? I mean, down down?

And talking about horrible security, don't even have me bring up the FIFA mess from last year. Or the potential hack back in April which they claimed was "routine maintenance", but at the time of it happening, had no idea what was going on. Then there was the LulzSec fiasco two years ago...

And you act as if that hiatus from 6 years ago doesn't matter. Guess what. It does. Any potential lengthy hiatus on a system you have to connect once every 24 hours with matters.

Ashane is a bigger MS apologist than TimboSlice
Here we go again.

Is there any mature community out there that can actually have a discussion without turning this into a middle school brawl?

The internet disappoints me more and more. I like the console, it's drawbacks simply arent drawbacks to anyone who has been a PC gamer for their life, sorry, deal with it :/ I buy consoles for Games. The price makes absolutely no difference, not when my damn PC headset costs more then a PS3 or a Xbox 360. (Or a PS4 for that matter..) Right now, the Xbox One just has better looking exclusives. If FF15 and KH3 stayed PS4, then it would be a tough choice... I'd probably get both. But now? Nah.

You asked for links, I gave you links. Dont like when they were? It dosent matter. Dont like who they are from? Again, dosent matter. Provide links the PS4 is breaking preorder records. Oh wait, there are none? Damn sorry.

But your right. Xbox One will fail. Certainly. The internet trolls have spoken.

Here is a list of games and the consoles they will be on.

y7amy7u2.jpg
to be honest for me i don't see any need to buy a x1 or ps4. i cna't remember the last time a system launch had most of the games for the new system coming out for last gen systems.

i played every exlusive x1 and ps4 game yesterday and they were great but not worth buying a system for them.

Here is a list of games and the consoles they will be on.

y7amy7u2.jpg

to be honest for me i don't see any need to buy a x1 or ps4. i cna't remember the last time a system launch had most of the games for the new system coming out for last gen systems.

i played every exlusive x1 and ps4 game yesterday and they were great but not worth buying a system for them.

Exactly! That is the true deciding factor right there!

Here we go again.

Is there any mature community out there that can actually have a discussion without turning this into a middle school brawl?

The internet disappoints me more and more. I like the console, it's drawbacks simply arent drawbacks to anyone who has been a PC gamer for their life, sorry, deal with it :/ I buy consoles for Games. The price makes absolutely no difference, not when my damn PC headset costs more then a PS3 or a Xbox 360. (Or a PS4 for that matter..) Right now, the Xbox One just has better looking exclusives. If FF15 and KH3 stayed PS4, then it would be a tough choice... I'd probably get both. But now? Nah.

You asked for links, I gave you links. Dont like when they were? It dosent matter. Dont like who they are from? Again, dosent matter. Provide links the PS4 is breaking preorder records. Oh wait, there are none? Damn sorry.

na it's just that when you give a opinion on this website and it's any kind of support for a thing that people hate on they think you are a fanboy.

Here we go again.

the only sites claiming the xbone is breaking pre order is sales is Blockbuster and a supermarket chain. yeah, im sure those 2 are gonna really put it over the edge. if i listed a site saying the ps4 was breaking pre order sales and it was from some no name chain or a chain that people are surprised even still exists, it would be met with the same reaction.

oh wait here you go: http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/12/ps4-pre-orders-are-through-the-roof-since-price-announcement-says-blockbuster/ ps4 met with the same reaction with pre orders. i guess they are tied at blockbuster. all 15 preorders a piece.

ill trust a site like amazon instead. which is saying more ps4s have been preordered.

im starting to question why so many 3rd party games are coming out for next gen and current gen it shows they know how bad economy is and thye know not many people can buy 400-500 doller systems. seeing i just got a gaming pc i might hold out on getting these things at launch. if i remember x1 and ps4 only has like 3-4 games at launch that are only on that system and to be honest they are not earth breaking games. the earth breaking games i want ot play don't come out till 2014

i im out of here they are now letting people into the watch dogs showing will check in later today 

Here we go again.

the only sites claiming the xbone is breaking pre order is sales is Blockbuster and a supermarket chain. yeah, im sure those 2 are gonna really put it over the edge. if i listed a site saying the ps4 was breaking pre order sales and it was from some no name chain or a chain that people are surprised even still exists, it would be met with the same reaction.

oh wait here you go: http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/12/ps4-pre-orders-are-through-the-roof-since-price-announcement-says-blockbuster/ ps4 met with the same reaction with pre orders. i guess they are tied at blockbuster. all 15 preorders a piece.

ill trust a site like amazon instead. which is saying more ps4s have been preordered.
Trust Amazon, that's fine.. which also lists the Xbox One as the most wished for item. We'll see how the charts change now that you can actually preorder the Day One Edition again.

It's really quiet simple. BOTH consoles will sell out of ALL of their initial allotment. Who goes higher up the chain depends on who has more to give. You simply asked for links, I gave you links, then you mock them. Fine, whatever. Dont ask next time, k?

its just hilarious youre basing the whole "xbox 1 is breaking pre orders, what am i missing" then list a link to a super market.

South.Park_.S16E12.HDTV_.x264-ASAP.mp4_snapshot_03.21_2012.10.26_13.53.24.jpg

WE ARE PRE ORDERING XBOX 1'S LIKE CRAZY!

its just hilarious youre basing the whole "xbox 1 is breaking pre orders, what am i missing" then list a link to a super market.
I linked to a Xbox article from Amazon, a Blockbuster article, and yes a supermarket that people actually buy games in over in the UK, and mentioned a Futureshop article that I coudnt find anymore.

You respond back by firstly mocking Blockbuster, then linking Blockbuster (ook), then mocking the supermarket article, ignoring the Amazon article because it was early, so um, whatever I guess.

I spose if Walmart came out with a article about how good the PS4 is doing in preorder's you would mock it too since its a supermarket as well?

Again, if you dont like the answers, dont ask... it's extremely simple here.

when asda becomes as big was walmart, let me know.

i posted the blockbuster link as a joke because its fucking blockbuster. they are irrelevant. you dolt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4lojEwM6Hg

you linked to amazon and i linked a article specifly stating ps4 is ahead of them on amazon. i guess they broke the record xb1 just set then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back