Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait a minute... didn't Major Nelson say something along the lines of the X1 being built with the DRM in mind? So either that was a lie or they're re-building the system in some shape/form.
Yes with the drm getting thrown out the window the X1 is now a different console. The on the fly game swapping is now gone, the play another game when waiting for matchmaking is also gone along with other things since we haven't seen the OS yet. I'm guessing they will need to rework the a big part of the OS.
Doubtful. I'm sure the cloud option will still exist, and downloaded games from Live will still exist.
You are correct that the cloud will still be used but you will need to physically insert game discs to play different games and that will change how all on the fly features will work. The MS engineers will be very busy changing many aspects from assuming everyone will always be online to game switching and other unknowns...

Well the one issue that would prevent me from ever getting one was removed (the 24 hour drm). But it still has issues like the price, their horrible attitude towards indies, mandatory installs, etc. I would still want to see how much Kinect is enforced/implemented. This does mean down the road I'll probably get one, but Now it needs to get some compelling exclusive software on it. It's not like Titanfall is exclusive (360 & PC too remember) or even a launch title and frankly I'm getting shooter fatigue and I know I'm not alone on that. If the Xbox One is basically the home of dudebro shooters (COD, Battlefield, Halo, Gears, Titanfall) and it's got nothing else to separate it from the pack that will affect when I'm picking one up. That goes for Sony as well, it's not like they had an outstanding conference in terms of exclusive titles.

Because they just said that a disc has to be in the Xbox One to play a game?
I think that's just for physical games.

Before: Buy disc version, required to install game, disc is useless forevermore.
After: Buy disc version, maybe install game, still need disc.

They can still have the program swapping (i.e. TV to games) stuff in, though game-swapping is likely digital only, or disc-to-digital.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they did something like how Steam works currently where you can either via to play offline with the physical disc OR play connected without it then I think game swapping could still work if you tied your game to your account as before.

If they did something like how Steam works currently where you can either via to play offline with the physical disc OR play connected without it then I think game swapping could still work if you tied your game to your account as before.
How is playing offline with the disc like Steam?

Ya know, as much as I disagreed with the policies that MS was going to employ with the X1, I honestly wish they would have stuck to their guns. If they were that gung ho that THIS was the way of the future and that we all just weren't seeing it, I would have loved to have been wrong. I would have loved to see digital prices come around similar to Steam. I would have loved to see the ease of integration that the X1 promised. If they truly believed that it would work as well as they were pitching that it would, and been such a dramatic improvement for gamers over what we've been used to, then they should have stuck with it and made us eat crow.

Now, we're kind of getting an "I guess we'll never know" situation, and those are always disappointing. Maybe the thought is to put these ideas on the backburner until the Xbox Two, when the world may be ready for all digital...and that might be a prudent decision. It just seems silly to be so adament and defiant that you're right and that we "just don't get it", and then back down entirely. I'm not going to spout off some nonsense that I "respect MS less" for this. If anything, it may actually make me take a closer look at the X1 again. But I certainly would have entertained the possibility that their previous marketing strategy COULD have been a game changer if handled in the right way. But like I said...now we'll never know.

Dont harp on it :) You know what he meant, it's the only comparison you have currently.

Shoudnt need to add a *We know its not just like steam, but its the closest analogy I can find.

Am I the only one who is kinda mad that they changed their policies? The ability to share games with up to 10 "family" members and the seamless switching between games without having to change discs was one of the reasons I wanted one.

Also, how will this change how the cloud computing will work for games? I think that was a huge benefit for developers that cannot be used now (at least as effectively) since someone may be playing the game offline all the time.

Dont harp on it :) You know what he meant, it's the only comparison you have currently.

Shoudnt need to add a *We know its not just like steam, but its the closest analogy I can find.
I don't know what he meant and I meant to knock Steam with my comment. Steam obviously can't be played DRM-free, now the Xbox One can.

Bahahaha, Moneysoft backed out of it quicker than I thought they would. I knew they would but I thought it would come AFTER a launch day flop. Smart of them to do it though, and the response here is only one avenue that is suggesting they made the right decision (it clearly was the right decision).

I'm still under the impression that the PS4 is the superior console in other ways, but this should even things out a bit rather than having it remain as a one-sided drubbing.

I'm glad that they removed the drm bs, but I have already made my decision for November. I'm getting a PS4, but this decision does mean that I now have a reason to buy an Xbox One later on down the road. 

I'm also super stoked that they removed the region locks. There were quite a few Japan-Only games that I wanted and there were some English-Translation EU Only games that I wanted as well. Now all they need to do is remove the Kinect and lower the price by $100 and we're all set!

Is it possible that people will never be satisfied unless Microsoft gives away the console for free with an apology and hand job from Major Nelson himself?

lol, tomorrow we will see xbone preorder sales rank #1 on all major retailers.

For everyone harping on about the 10 game sharing scheme, if that had been as good as some people imagined it would have started to cost MS/publishers money and they would have shut it down straight away.

Remember the Xbox Live T&Cs can be changed at any time.

Am I the only one who is kinda mad that they changed their policies? The ability to share games with up to 10 "family" members and the seamless switching between games without having to change discs was one of the reasons I wanted one.

Also, how will this change how the cloud computing will work for games? I think that was a huge benefit for developers that cannot be used now (at least as effectively) since someone may be playing the game offline all the time.
I agree. I don't see why to really buy an Xbox One now as the Xbox 360 will be supported for quite a few more years...

Here's the thing...if this move was at all avoidable, they would have avoided it. If the sharing plan was as good as people were dreaming it up to be...or if the restrictive policies would have honestly meant lower game prices and a Steam like model, MS could have righted the ship without having to abandon a system that they supposedly believed in. In my opinion, it's very telling that instead of opening up to us about the details of sharing games among 10 people and lower prices on games that rival that of Steam's, they'd rather switch back to a system similar to what we have with the 360. I'm sorry, but if this doesn't prove that it was never going to be as good as people were imagining, then what does?

Here's the thing...if this move was at all avoidable, they would have avoided it. If the sharing plan was as good as people were dreaming it up to be...or if the restrictive policies would have honestly meant lower game prices and a Steam like model, MS could have righted the ship without having to abandon a system that they supposedly believed in. In my opinion, it's very telling that instead of opening up to us about the details of sharing games among 10 people and lower prices on games that rival that of Steam's, they'd rather switch back to a system similar to what we have with the 360. I'm sorry, but if this doesn't prove that it was never going to be as good as people were imagining, then what does?
They probably had trouble getting third party publishers on board with the whole 10 people family share thing.

I dont know about that honestly.

The damage had already been done. Any attempt to explain the features would have just resulted in more disbelief from the gaming type.

The only thing that would have stopped it was saying "All digital games are going to be $20 cheaper... " or something like that, but Microsoft simply cant do that. They dont have that type of control over their third party publishers.

Even a explained family share would not have swayed people, since those of us who liked that feature had already preordered.

Doesn't change the fact that it's underpowered, costs 100 dollars more, has a worthless camera, has tired and stale franchises that nobody cares about and is focused on crap rather then gamers.  They also stated that these policies MAY come back again.  Watch them come back in a year or two for the shenanigans.

Also does doing a 180 make it half of what the 360 is with its lack of greatness?

i hate to say it but i think the damage was done. i really don't see people that jumped to ps4 will now go back mostly because the price did not change. If ms was smart they would sell a day one system for around 249.99 or 299.99 and have a xbox live contract with it. 100 dollers more is alot of causal gamers.

Still not getting it right away because of the Kinect and the price principle. The console is worth $300 at best so I won't let Microsoft bend me over. I'm sure Black Friday 2014 there will be a sale for around $350. Be patient.

Doesn't change the fact that it's underpowered, costs 100 dollars more, has a worthless camera, has tired and stale franchises that nobody cares about and is focused on crap rather then gamers. They also stated that these policies MAY come back again. Watch them come back in a year or two for the shenanigans.

Also does doing a 180 make it half of what the 360 is with its lack of greatness?
to be fair from a person that played ps4,x1 games at e3 xbox one has alot of new ip's coming for the system can't say that much for ps4.

I dont know about that honestly.

The damage had already been done. Any attempt to explain the features would have just resulted in more disbelief from the gaming type.

The only thing that would have stopped it was saying "All digital games are going to be $20 cheaper... " or something like that, but Microsoft simply cant do that. They dont have that type of control over their third party publishers.

Even a explained family share would not have swayed people, since those of us who liked that feature had already preordered.
It just goes to show that gaming as a "service" can change at any moment. Just imagine if Microsoft scrapped the family share or reduced the number of people you can share with after you bought the console. Sony did the same thing with the PS3, we use to be able to game share on 5 consoles, now it is down to 2. MS or Sony will always look out for shareholders or publishers before us the consumer. No reason to believe a single word they say but be cautious as you go.

Wait a minute... didn't Major Nelson say something along the lines of the X1 being built with the DRM in mind? So either that was a lie or they're re-building the system in some shape/form.
Yes with the drm getting thrown out the window the X1 is now a different console. The on the fly game swapping is now gone, the play another game when waiting for matchmaking is also gone along with other things since we haven't seen the OS yet. I'm guessing they will need to rework the a big part of the OS.
All these things can still exist with digital purchases, so if these things are important to you, buy the digital version.

Doesn't change the fact that it's underpowered, costs 100 dollars more, has a worthless camera, has tired and stale franchises that nobody cares about and is focused on crap rather then gamers. They also stated that these policies MAY come back again. Watch them come back in a year or two for the shenanigans.

to be fair from a person that played ps4,x1 games at e3 xbox one has alot of new ip's coming for the system can't say that much for ps4.
Sony has 30 games in development, and of which 12 are new IPs. They expect to release 20 within 1 year of the PS4's release. I'm not sure what MS has... but I think both said they have more to show later at later conferences. I think Sony focused more on third party than they normally do.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130611a_e.pdf

Also, I don't think some people understand that there's a significant gap between processing power of the PS4 and X1. We won't see it now, but in a year or two, there's probably going to be a noticeable gap between the two.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/xbox-one-hardware-compared-to-playstation-4

Highly doubt it.  I know the magic word out there is Cloud Processing, but I really think its a game changer.   The processing power of detailed graphics can be handled by the cloud servers while everything else is in focus on the console.   The system specs are overrated...but like you said time will tell one way or another.

Sony has 30 games in development, and of which 12 are new IPs. They expect to release 20 within 1 year of the PS4's release.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130611a_e.pdf

Also, I don't think some people understand that there's a significant gap between processing power of the PS4 and X1. We won't see it now, but in a year or two, there's probably going to be a noticeable gap between the two.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/xbox-one-hardware-compared-to-playstation-4
i doudt their will be much diff with 3rd party just like this current gen but 1st partys will 100 percent look better on ps4 just like ps3 compared to 360 first party.

The hardware experts are crazy in here. They must all have great jobs in demanding tech fields to know so much.

The PS3 was touted as more powerful as well and the Xbox arguably had better looking and running games than the PS3. Quite frankly, most people wont notice a graphics diffence unless its significant, which I doubt it would be with these specs.

Funny now that the "evil DRM" is gone people saying they weren't getting an Xbox One and the most vocal against it are...wait for it....still not getting the Xbox One lol. Was never about the DRM its just fanboys making mountains out of molehills

Funny now that the "evil DRM" is gone people saying they weren't getting an Xbox One and the most vocal against it are...wait for it....still not getting the Xbox One lol. Was never about the DRM its just fanboys making mountains out of molehills
price point and always have to have kinect connect is still their that is a factor also

i doudt their will be much diff with 3rd party just like this current gen but 1st partys will 100 percent look better on ps4 just like ps3 compared to 360 first party.
You're probably right, cause I'm still amazed by KZ: ShadowFall's opening scene. :drool:

ibkLh2II7UZlqe.gif

Highly doubt it. I know the magic word out there is Cloud Processing, but I really think its a game changer. The processing power of detailed graphics can be handled by the cloud servers while everything else is in focus on the console. The system specs are overrated...but like you said time will tell one way or another.
I think this article sums it up pretty well.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-19-microsoft-makes-the-case-for-xbox-ones-300-000-server-cloud-but-what-do-developers-think

The hardware experts are crazy in here. They must all have great jobs in demanding tech fields to know so much.

The PS3 was touted as more powerful as well and the Xbox arguably had better looking and running games than the PS3. Quite frankly, most people wont notice a graphics diffence unless its significant, which I doubt it would be with these specs.
The problem with the PS3 was that it was on a more complex, custom architecture vs the 360 which was standard PowerPC. The PS3 was more powerful but nobody (outside of Sony's 1st party) could figure it out or bothered to try. Another issue was that the PS3 also lacked VRAM meaning developers had to cut back on what could be displayed on a screen at once. The X1 and PS4 will both use x86 (meaning they're basically PCs) and Sony addressed the RAM issue, so those things won't matter here. It's a more level development field.

No need to get fussy here. Some people just like the technical details more than others. You can read Wikipedia to get a basic understanding of these things. For the record, I'm an accountant. :p

i think it's a MUST ms announces a cheaper version even if it requires a live contract at launch.
To be honest, I wish they would. I wouldn't want Sony to get too comfortable (like Nintendo did, and then fucked up and lost it all).

I find it funny as MS stated earlier that it was built into the system from the beginning and they couldn't remove it, or at least something like that. Unless they are producing new hardware, it was a lie.

It's hard to trust MS, as much as I like my 360, I won't be getting the new one because of the sour taste left in my mouth.

Who's to say they won't reverse their decision after they have a foothold in the market.

I'm surprised Microsoft changed their minds after stating "this isn't a sprint" and saying Xbox 360 is the only offline device (along with the submarine comment which is even worse). Funny how the XBox One is an all in one device, yet their employees have so many different comments on what the console does. Looking back, this is going to make the Microsoft Xbox brand look somewhat foolish though.

Region unlock is a big deal too. Does this mean it also works with DVD/Blu Ray playback?

This is all good news though. I am very happy that offline play is enabled. If it's true that you can set the Kinect so it isn't always studying you, then I would consider getting an Xbox One.

For now, I'm not buying that or even a PS4 (unless my job situation improves). But I will sit back and watch how Sony and Microsoft fight for the top spot. If somehow Nintendo takes it (I admit I really want a Wii U) then the old school gamer side of me will be thrilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back