Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What excactly is MS doing that just screams next gen video gaming to you? TV and Sports features? Also, gaf is pretty PS centric so I am not surprised by that thread at all.

They tried to do a lot until a bunch of folks started crying

Wow one question...4 months out. At least MS was completely open on their plan. I don't know how anyone can trust Sony after last gen!
We all know the reason why MS won't answer just that 1 question.

And what were the open details about that family plan again? Or how rental games were gonna work? Or who the "participating retailers" were?

Last edited by a moderator:
Of you really want to see some PS4 butt love check out this thread - http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=621281&page=1

I have never seen so many people so in love with a product before they have even touched it yet...

Give me credit even I am not that bad. That guy basically outlined the things that he didn't like and everyone hates him for it.

PS4 can't do wrong apparently. No matter who says so. Even Apple hype isn't that bad!
Nobody really seems to care about the PS4 here except you and Timbo. Your failed logic is that if someone says something critical of the XBone they must be Sony fanboys.

I have all 3 current generation consoles, and already have the WiiU, and will eventually get both the PS4 and the XBone, but that does not mean I don't have something to say about either one. It's not like they are holy grails that can't be touched and their developers can do no wrong. I think what caused the most outrage here is that people did not like what they were doing with the Xbox they've come to know and love, and not Sony fanboys ripping on it for that sake alone.

You can paint it all as Microsoft wanting to take us in a new direction, but not only did they fail to get that message across to its user base but some things just didn't add up, e.g. Major Nelson claiming you couldn't just reverse the 24 hour always on requirement and then they did just that, albeit with a firmware update.

I am glad with the majority of the changes they have made, however, I still can't figure out why they could not have kept the family plan going as to digital releases, and I still like to see the ability to disconnect the Kinect altogether. If you can already turn it off, why even have it required to be connected? Ok, I understand Microsoft wants us to have it to make extra money ($100) and so developers will incorporate it into games (hopefully as an option and not a requirement) but just don't force us to use it.

Other than that, that game video you posted the other day looks great. I am hoping that FORZA 6 video footage was actual gameplay as that looked amazing. Ryse looked good as well. I am not yet sold on Dead Rising 3, but have it in my Cart, along with Ryse and Forza, saved for later. Those are the three titles I would buy at or near release.

Hey you just gave me an idea. I love my PS3 so much I'm going to go put my penis into the disc tray. The tray is pretty small, so I'll have to use some lube and force it in there, but it'll be worth it.

Cute and intelligent

MS tried to bring to the future in the most boneheaded way possible-It's not just bad messaging, but as many have said, it was all stick and virtually no carrot. First thing out of the gate they could've had either a more lax DRM policy or no DRM (GOG does it so don't say they couldn't) they could've skipped discs altogether but basically lacked the balls because Gamestop even though they are hardly the only opton these days. they could've talked about cheaper games but didn't because it wasn't going to happen. And Kinect? Aside from being a shit device, forget he government stuff, it's going to be used by advertisers to spy on you while you are using the Xbox One, this has already been confirmed: http://consumerist.com/2013/07/08/the-xbox-one-will-use-kinect-to-provide-targeted-advertising/. That's a completely legitimate concern. And they still have every single feature behind the bullshit paywall that is Gold. And then when they could've ushered in the future by doing it both ways having digital and physical with better advantages for digital? They chose not to.

people are not saying thye don't want it on gaming system they are saying they don't want a cam spying on them has nothing to do with video gaming
Seriously? People just don't want Kinect only cause of privacy concerns? You haven't read a ton of people saying they don't want forced bullshit motion controls? Your statement makes zero sense from what a ton of people have stated on here.

I just want to know what the big problem is with the X1 now? Just the Kinect and $100? That's enough reason to get a PS4?

Nobody really seems to care about the PS4 here except you and Timbo. Your failed logic is that if someone says something critical of the XBone they must be Sony fanboys.

I have all 3 current generation consoles, and already have the WiiU, and will eventually get both the PS4 and the XBone, but that does not mean I don't have something to say about either one. It's not like they are holy grails that can't be touched and their developers can do no wrong. I think what caused the most outrage here is that people did not like what they were doing with the Xbox they've come to know and love, and not Sony fanboys ripping on it for that sake alone.

You can paint it all as Microsoft wanting to take us in a new direction, but not only did they fail to get that message across to its user base but some things just didn't add up, e.g. Major Nelson claiming you couldn't just reverse the 24 hour always on requirement and then they did just that, albeit with a firmware update.

I am glad with the majority of the changes they have made, however, I still can't figure out why they could not have kept the family plan going as to digital releases, and I still like to see the ability to disconnect the Kinect altogether. If you can already turn it off, why even have it required to be connected? Ok, I understand Microsoft wants us to have it to make extra money ($100) and so developers will incorporate it into games (hopefully as an option and not a requirement) but just don't force us to use it.

Other than that, that game video you posted the other day looks great. I am hoping that FORZA 6 video footage was actual gameplay as that looked amazing. Ryse looked good as well. I am not yet sold on Dead Rising 3, but have it in my Cart, along with Ryse and Forza, saved for later. Those are the three titles I would buy at or near release.
See what happens here is you make an intelligent post like this that has no bias and you have valid points and concerns and the three-bone-kateers are tongue tied.and ignore it all while they just continue to spew the same crap rhetoric.

people are not saying thye don't want it on gaming system they are saying they don't want a cam spying on them has nothing to do with video gaming
I shouldn't have to worry about unplugging and replugging in a cable everytime I want to use the machine. Better to just get the more powerful machine that will have 90% of the games it offers at a cheaper price with 100% less NSA bullcrap.

people on that forum are saying just duct tape over the light on controller i should not have to do that i should have a option to turn it off. Same thing could be said about kinect 2.0 just put duct tape over the cam and it will not spy on you.
Why use ugly duct tape or electrical tape when you can just use these on the PS4 controller if it is an issue for you? http://www.lightdims.com/ Simple, elegant, and destroys your argument.

And I'm not saying either warrant absolute early adoption. There is still so much left in the 360 and this gen. My need for new tech always outweighs the logic of early adoption. But if these two are the only choices I don't know how they are not on even footing.

Being a $100 more with weaker specs is really whats making them not on even footing.

Everything else is subjective.

Being a $100 more with weaker specs is really whats making them not on even footing.

Everything is is subjective.

The specs line is bullshit!

I have both the 360 and PS3 and never have I been able to tell a difference and remember the PS3 had such awesome specs it was $600!

Yeah "specs" who gives a shit when the games will look pretty much the same on both just like they did this gen.

The NSA line is also bullshit while we're at it!

Say hello to the NSA boys! They have probably seen this thread too! Hell even reps from MS and Sony have seen this thread asana times as I'm sure it has popped up in their keyword searches.

Say hello to everyone boys!

You going to stop posting on CAG now? Yell at Cheapy? Yeah...didn't think so!

PS3 had more powerful specs but was hard to program for which meant developers couldn't take advantage of them unless first party, and yes you can see a difference in PS3 first party titles compared to the 360s.

This gen is an entirely different animal, very similar architectures are going to mean games will take advantage of the better specced machine.

Yes let's play off the NSA spying scandal that has been the headline of all major news outlets for the past month with the leading contributor in Microsoft.  I don't know how much Microsoft is payrolling you, but no amount of marketing is going to make this go away, and no it's not just gamers taking notice, sorry.

You tell them, WV! Everything out of their mouths is pure bullshit, but everything you say is pure truth! When will they learn you that know everything and that you're always right?

You tell them, WV! Everything out of their mouths is pure bullshit, but everything you say is pure truth! When will they learn you that know everything and that you're always right?

Go back to screwing your PS3

I'm out of this for a while. It's basically 3 v 5. I'll let Ashane and Timbo fight for a while.

Have a good evening fellas!

do you allow a pc camera in your house or have a camera on your cell phone (which is always active). Just saying it just puzzles me how much people are freaking out about the kinect 2.0 always hearing for voice command when they have other things like cams and facebook(goverment watches) in this day and age no one has 100 percent privacy.
Do you really think people do these things because you do? I have a fake facebook account for promos that I don't upload photos to or use for anything else. I have a web cam that is ONLY connected when in use and only used 1 or 2 times a year.

If the Xbox One was $400, no drm, optional Kinect, and that person still nitpicks on the console. I agree with you that person is a Sony fanboy or troll.
Agreed. If that's how the Xbox one was I'd have it preordered and not a ps4 as the 368 was my most playe insole by far this gen.

Yea because that's what I was commenting on >_>

And I'm on a high ppp count. So I didn't get to that yet.

And it doesn't matter which one is more powerful of the developers can't make the most out of.

I just want to know what the big problem is with the X1 now? Just the Kinect and $100? That's enough reason to get a PS4?
Well I can't speak for everybody and as I said before I do plan on getting one eventually, but yeah, the $100 plus Kinect is a difference. Note that I don't plan on getting either at launch, they both have a fairly weak line-up in terms of what is exclusively next-gen IMO. And yes I and many others are suffering from shooter fatigue, which seems far and wide to be the bulk of MS line-up. Also just because I'm getting one doesn't mean I can't voice my issues about it. That goes for Sony too, though beyond now having to pay for online MP, which isn't that big a deal if plus stays as good as it is, I can't think of much.

I shouldn't have to worry about unplugging and replugging in a cable everytime I want to use the machine. Better to just get the more powerful machine that will have 90% of the games it offers at a cheaper price with 100% less NSA bullcrap.
He was replying to Timbo and VW tbh, so I did not feel the need to respond. Just like you never responded to my post about your bullshit little ISP acting as if it said no to the NSA, nor did anyone blaming Microsoft ever respond to the FISA courts ordering these tech giants to hand over their data and let PRISM in.

Vegas and I, and I think Timbo was in on the conversation as well, already had that debate 10 pages back while you were gone, which is partially another reason none of us responded. He just brought up points we've already discussed.

Hell at this point in time all we are doing is rehashing crap that we've talked about 50+ pages ago.

At this point in time the only real debatable topics are the system specs of both machines, and if X1's are changing or not like the 360's did, the Kinect camera and it's potential to use advertising data and if that makes you feel uncomfortable or not, the price tag of both systems, and the games line up.

Anything else is just a waste of time really.

I have both the 360 and PS3 and never have I been able to tell a difference and remember the PS3 had such awesome specs it was $600!

Yeah "specs" who gives a shit when the games will look pretty much the same on both just like they did this gen.
First of all, don't bring up 360/PS3 considering it has nothing to do with PS4/Xbox One specs. Two different architectures.

PS4/Xbox One are using PC parts this time around so its easy to now compare the two.

8 gigs of GDDR5 ram vs 8 Gigs of GDDR3 Ram. Also only 1 GB of ram is for the OS on PS4 as opposed to 4 GB of ram being for the OSes on Xbox One.

The Graphics card on the PS4 is also better (not sure by how much) than the one in the One.

Will it mean much for third party? Not going to be sure yet but that isnt a factor for me considering im not going to base which system I got on games I can get on either system.

Will it mean much for first party? Yes.

He was replying to Timbo and VW tbh, so I did not feel the need to respond. Just like you never responded to my post about your bullshit little ISP acting as if it said no to the NSA, nor did anyone blaming Microsoft ever respond to the FISA courts ordering these tech giants to hand over their data and let PRISM in.
Sorry I missed your response, if CAG would quit screwing up the new posts marker I wouldn't have just jumped to the last page. Anyway I'll give you the ISP pushing back against a state request opposed to the FISA courts. However Microsoft didn't just comply, when they were asked for the keys to the front door, Microsoft said here's the keys to every lock in the house as well as ways to get in if you forgot the keys. No matter how you spin it, Microsoft is involved whether it is forced or voluntary the fact still remains. So with this knowledge and seeing they want to put a device that sits in the main room in peoples homes with infrared technology and voice isolation technology, sorry if I and many others have a problem with this.

So basically what we have right now it terms of specs are close enough that 3rd party titles, which will make up at least 90% of releases will be the same. And frankly in terms of genres, I'm pretty sure all will be represented well on both(well maybe not Jrpgs, which will be a big reason for me buying PS4 but that's merely personal taste). And both will probably have somewhat comparable media functions that people actually give a shit about (i.e. Netflix, not live TV). If I have no particular loyalty to a company (and really I shouldn't and the majority of consumers won't) why am I paying $100 more for virtually the same thing? Kinect? Are there even any games for that? They haven't shown much (and that's if it's any good which is a huge question mark) People keep saying that if the price was lower it wouldn't make a difference, but the price ISN'T lower so it does. I think MS could lower the price and just take a bigger hit on the console but I doubt their investors would back that play. And when next Xmas roles around and their likely is a price drop? Well Sony can probably drop theirs as well and you still have the same problem. Also, a lot of people are talking about what parents will buy their kids,not that kids aren't important, but the average gamer is not a kid, they are an adult with at least some disposable income. Hell according to guys like Michael Pachter, kids don't even want consoles anymore, they want Ipads and tablets so that market may be moot.

Sorry I missed your response, if CAG would quit screwing up the new posts marker I wouldn't have just jumped to the last page. Anyway I'll give you the ISP pushing back against a state request opposed to the FISA courts. However Microsoft didn't just comply, when they were asked for the keys to the front door, Microsoft said here's the keys to every lock in the house as well as ways to get in if you forgot the keys. No matter how you spin it, Microsoft is involved whether it is forced or voluntary the fact still remains. So with this knowledge and seeing they want to put a device that sits in the main room in peoples homes with infrared technology and voice isolation technology, sorry if I and many others have a problem with this.
I'd agree completely they were involved, however, dosent it strike you as odd that Microsoft, Yahoo, and Google want to bring what they did to attempt to not comply to light?

All three companies have filed motions to dismiss the classification of the court ruling so they can discuss it. It's obvious none of these companies went willing, and we know at least one had a court order that could not be appealed to hand over the data.

The Skype thing was also later pulled from the articles linked earlier, as Skype had been providing data to the NSA prior to MS even owning Skype. (As well as a few other blatant errors corrected)

Its shitty no matter what way you look at it really, I just feel it's really wrong to blame any of the "big four" for complying, when we know for a fact that they had absolutely no choice in the matter regardless. You could go along willingly, and maybe get a favor or two out of it.. or fight it and get court ordered to do it. Either way, the customer loses... because of the NSA, not Microsoft, Apple, Yahoo or whoever.

A lot of people are basically expecting a souped up PS3 and they are OK with that.
That's what I expect PS4 to be, which is why I'm not buying one. My PS3 is basically my blu-ray player. I do all my gaming on my Xbox. And the Xbox One is a product I'm way more interested in overall than any mere gaming console.

But some people don't want that. What's great is everyone has free will to buy what they want!

For me, a total 360 guy, what you said plus ps+ seems to a much better value and the indie games. Not committed to either yet but those are my reasons for leaning PS next generation.

First of all, don't bring up 360/PS3 considering it has nothing to do with PS4/Xbox One specs. Two different architectures.

PS4/Xbox One are using PC parts this time around so its easy to now compare the two.

8 gigs of GDDR5 ram vs 8 Gigs of GDDR3 Ram. Also only 1 GB of ram is for the OS on PS4 as opposed to 4 GB of ram being for the OSes on Xbox One.

The Graphics card on the PS4 is also better (not sure by how much) than the one in the One.

Will it mean much for third party? Not going to be sure yet but that isnt a factor for me considering im not going to base which system I got on games I can get on either system.

Will it mean much for first party? Yes.
Comparison on a spec sheet is pretty easy, and it does show a advantage to the PS4. (Although, everyone dismisses GDDR vs DDR's latency, but even with that the PS4 is still ahead)

However, everyone always forgets the development kits and the tools to make these games. You've got numerous people from EA, ID Software, etc that were complaining the PS3 development tools... sucked. Which should not be surprising given Microsoft's strong software development history vs Sony.

Will that change? Who knows, but simply looking at a spec sheet and attempting to say PS4 will be superior to anything else is.. short sighted.

I think bluray had a lot to do with it. Man... Your tone is so bad and everybody you argue with on here you'd say "how old are you", then somewhere I think you mentioned your 38..... 38 and your going on and on bitching about a game console non stop and ranting like someone in the 7th grade.

Comparison on a spec sheet is pretty easy, and it does show a advantage to the PS4. (Although, everyone dismisses GDDR vs DDR's latency, but even with that the PS4 is still ahead)

However, everyone always forgets the development kits and the tools to make these games. You've got numerous people from EA, ID Software, etc that were complaining the PS3 development tools... sucked. Which should not be surprising given Microsoft's strong software development history vs Sony.

Will that change? Who knows, but simply looking at a spec sheet and attempting to say PS4 will be superior to anything else is.. short sighted.
Well I don't think anybody's been complaining about MS Xbox One tools to be fair, but developers have been talking very positively about the PS4's tools:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/04/02/epics-mark-rein-gives-props-to-the-ps4s-pc-friendly-architecture.aspx

http://www.edge-online.com/features/ps4-developers-react/

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/485933/20130703/ps4-ps-plus-free-games-psn-summer.htm#.UeCF5G3Bxm8

It's already been explained that the Cell used in PS3 was overly complex and difficult to master. It's already been explained that both architectures are nearly identical to PC this gen.

What has changed is that MS is using an esRAM solution, and that will be more cumbersome to master compared to the PS4's unified pool of memory.

You know all three of those articles are praising Sony for doing to a x86 architecture, which is also exactly what the X1 is, so it's really praising both systems? :)

None of the articles talk about the actual development kits sent to the dev's, nor how their tools are. I'll say again until we actually get some information on the XDK and PDK, we wont have a firm understanding of how those specs will come out in the end.

It's already been explained that the Cell used in PS3 was overly complex and difficult to master. It's already been explained that both architectures are nearly identical to PC this gen.

What has changed is that MS is using an esRAM solution, and that will be more cumbersome to master compared to the PS4's unified pool of memory.
So wrong it hurts.

Under your theory, simply because they are on x86 architecture, everything should be the same developing across both systems. That is utterly, completely, and insanely wrong. It depends on the development kit supplied to the developers on how it utilizes all of the components in the system. This is not like the PC where I can open up C++, write some code, and tada I have a game. No sir.

Also, MS used a similar solution in the 360, so no, no one has to "master" it. Learn a bit about what we are talking about before posting please.

Under your theory, simply because they are on x86 architecture, everything should be the same developing across both systems. That is utterly, completely, and insanely wrong. It depends on the development kit supplied to the developers on how it utilizes all of the components in the system. This is not like the PC where I can open up C++, write some code, and tada I have a game. No sir.

Also, MS used a similar solution in the 360, so no, no one has to "master" it. Learn a bit about what we are talking about before posting please.
I never said development would be "the same." Only that both architectures are very close to current PCs.

http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-sram-and-dram/

360 used eDRAM and the current solution is eSRAM. Should I explain the difference between D and S?

Oh and you mean that solution that kept a lot of 360 games sub-hd at 640p?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb464139.aspx

It comes mandatory with a video game console! What in the hell are you even saying here?

Exactly.

However, it's still a bull argument.. since we know the Kinect can be 99% turned off, with only one phrase being recorded.. "Xbox On".

Even if you think they might be lying to you, you have the option of *never* connecting the X1 to the internet after the initial system update. If the device is NEVER connected to the internet, how can it transfer anything?

One would think if your that paranoid, you would not be on the internet in the first place.... but fail arguments are often filled with holes such as that.
Personally I do have a slight suspicion they may lie to me. Now say I take your ridiculous option of NEVER connecting my Xbox to the internet after that initial install. So now it can't transfer anything. Anything including my ability to play online, to download a digital title, to update any bug fixes...and on and on. That's a pretty silly option to take when I could just buy a PS4 instead.

lol forgot about that if you don't connect to internet plz explain how ms can spy on you lol can't wait to hear what these trolls say about that.
Store locally and then upload when you do connect? I don't know that they will, but there is your extremely simple explanation of how they could, since you apparently couldn't think of that yourself.

like i have said before ps4 has tons and tons unanswered questions i give ms credit from the start even when drm stufff was in effect they came out and said mostly everything about the system and still did after things changed. Some reason sony will not say everything till it's like a month until system is out.
This is where you show that you're a biased fanboy. The simple fact is that both companies have not answered many questions on the next gen consoles.

Kinect as a forced motion control device, Kinect as a forced spy device, $100 more, inferior specs, a pay wall for almost everything...

Or I don't know, put a box over it.

Use common sense if you're that paranoid.
That is what your common sense would tell you to do? I'm sorry.

(no use arguing with the other comment)

I never said development would be "the same." Only that both architectures are very close to current PCs.

http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-sram-and-dram/

360 used eDRAM and the current solution is eSRAM. Should I explain the difference between D and S?

Oh and you mean that solution that kept a lot of 360 games sub-hd at 640p?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb464139.aspx
The implied theory being that since the architectures are the same, both platforms will be "easy" to develop for... a fact which we simply do not know right now.

eSRAM and eDRAM, in this instance, are both being used for the exact same thing. Burst type to compensate for the slower speed of DDR. Attempting to imply that developers would need to "master" such is.. silly. Furthermore, it's already been implied that the eSRAM in the X1 is controlled by the OS. If that's true or not, who knows.. however if it is, then it will function similar to Virtual Ram on a Windows install, and not be controlled by applications at all, but at the OS kernel level. (Again though, who knows if that's true or not.. :X)

Family share with the digital only would be awesome. 

As long as that hour only time limit is false.

I'm just ready for them to be here as I have both pre-ordered already, but I gota play SR4 and GTAV first.

Family share with the digital only would be awesome.

As long as that hour only time limit is false.

I'm just ready for them to be here as I have both pre-ordered already, but I gota play SR4 and GTAV first.
For some odd reason I can picture GTA5 really hurting next gen sales, LOL...

The sheer amount of posts on Reddit for that game is staggering. I thought last of us was bad, but that was not anything compared to GTA5.

For some odd reason I can picture GTA5 really hurting next gen sales, LOL...

The sheer amount of posts on Reddit for that game is staggering. I thought last of us was bad, but that was not anything compared to GTA5.
I think it would hurt sales if it wasn't coming out a couple months before the consoles. As it is I don't think it'll do much. It'd help if there was a must have next gen game though. There really isn't anything coming with the launch consoles to justify the price. We all know there's plenty coming up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back