Xbox One Will Not Require Internet, Restrict Used Games

I'm surprised by this move, because I had thought that the people at Microsoft would have already known the kind of negative response their original plans would have generated and were determined to go through with it anyway.

i wonder if preorders have been getting cancelled or they're just finally realizing people don't want the limitations they had set in place and are fearing a boycott.

Just saw this as well.  I gotta say, I really thought M$' pride would get in the way but they backpedaled hard just a week after E3.  It's a proud day to be a gamer honestly and I'm glad people stuck to their guns to force their hand.  They were about to lose a very large marketshare but they got the message loud and clear.  Can't say I'll ever buy one but I wasn't going to anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I have a reason to get an Xbox One eventually, but I'm sticking with the PS4 for now. They'll have mostly the same games anyway and I really don't want to pay $100 for a camera I don't really want. I'll probably wait for Microsoft to remove the Kinect and for a redesigned SE console.

I can only assume that preorders for the One was not up to their projections.  Realizing the pre and post-E3 backlash that they were going to erode their current 360 user base, they made the correct move. 

I have both a 360 and PS3.  Neither were obtained at launch.  However, with all of the talk of changing DRM and making these consoles more like a PC, I decided to start setting sites on building a gaming PC.  The games go on sale quicker on PC and they get cheaper.  Now that Microsoft came to their senses, I'll eventually get their console for their exclusives and likely interesting releases by console-only Japanese publishers.

It's pretty obvious that Xbox One preorders were bad, and I think this puts to rest the idea that we are the "vocal minority" because it's apparent that Microsoft was not happy with early sales projections of the system with the restrictions intact.

I also think this is hilarious because I believe Microsoft in an interview said that this console could not function without these restrictions which I thought was a load of bullcrap and it proved to be true. This was just a sad attempt at getting more cash.

In the end, this has still tarnished the way I view Microsoft. This was like getting punched in the face by another kid at school, then him telling you he's sorry, but deep down nothing ever changes between you two because the dude still punched you in the face. I preordered a PS4 as soon as it became possible on Amazon and I intend to keep my preorder and never buy an Xbox One. Mandatory Kinect is still there, the hardware is weaker than the PS4, and the perks, or lack thereof with Xbox Live Gold suck.

Seriously... the best you could do was Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed 2? Not Halo 4 and Assassin's Creed 3? Shows how cheap Microsoft is. Uncharted 3 and Saint's Row 3 are free right now on PS+ to put things in perspective.

I own pretty much every modern console and was going to skip the Xbox One because of the restrictions, but I will definitely grab one at some point now. I'm still going to stick with my PS4 pre-order for now, but maybe in a year or so I'll grab the One. Kudos to Microsoft for coming to their damn senses.  

I may grab one at some point,but not after the price goes down.  I still have my PS4 on pre order.  I still liked the first party games on PS4 better then the One.

Microsoft's decision follows mass confusion following the announcement of Xbox One in May
Confused? I don't think that's right. Appalled or disgusted would be a better fit. Good on them to bring things back to square one. I'll still stick with my 360 for the next 5 years, though. (they better keep that part of the plan intact)

LMAO, some sites are claiming M$ renamed the console Xbox 180 in addition to the DRM changes.  Tongue in cheek of course. :lol:

Definitely some great turn of events here.  I'm with some of the other posters here and will be keeping my PS4 pre-order.  I did just pre-ordered the Xbox One a few minutes ago, but may cancel later on when more news is released down the road.  Great news for the gaming industry today though!

I'm glad MS is listening to the feedback, it's just a shame that after the reveal a few weeks before E3 they didn't decide to change things then, they accomplished nothing sticking to their unpopular stance and now lost some customers to that and now backpeddling makes them look stupid.  

Hopefully they do something with the Kinect, I mean I have one I don't need another if I buy the X1 and don't care for it, if that could drop the price even $50 that would be great, have a core for people with the Kinect that's cheaper or a more expensive model for those that don't.  But I guess they want everyone to have it to boost the sales by making it madatory.

Maybe change the name to!

Some interesting insight and good points:

Yeah, this is a huge decision and, finally, a smart one. Ideally, MS should never have gone down the DRM route in the first place, of course, but it’s good news that they finally came to their senses. They never talked to publishers about it – if they had, they would have realized EA and Ubisoft didn’t want to charge, rendering it pointless. They never talked to GameStop – if they had, they would have realized that the PS4 would be pushed far more. They never looked at their own stats – if they had, they would have realized that 30 million 360 owners don’t use XBL and so don’t connect to the internet with their console. They never talked to consumers – if they had, they would have realized that we’d go batshit crazy. And they never counted on Sony not following them – which made the PS4 the clear choice for many.

Finally they’ve listened, and this is a victory for the consumer, make no mistake about it.

But it still puts them in a very tricky situation. Much of their online plans centered around the check-in, with the ‘game sharing’ and special account features all requiring this 24hr-check in to exist. Hell, that was the whole point of the check in, they claimed. It future proofed the console and made it perfect, they claimed. In numerous interviews they said that the fact that all the consoles were connected was a ‘game changer’, that it meant developers could create ultimate online experiences unlike anything on “other platforms”. Now their entire XBL plans for the next 10 years are in disarray, they’ve got to start all over trying to work out what makes the console special, and they only have a few months left before launch. Oops.

It’s also worth pointing out that the One still requires a one-off internet connection at the start, so that’ll stop the really internet challenged players from getting it.
Source

Just found this Q&A from E3 with Major Nelson (what's with the hat lol) and I was pretty impressed with how he explained M$' vision for the system soooooooooooooo much more clearly. Now I can understand why they wanted to push always on and I think if they had explained these things instead of just listing the restrictions, it would have gone over a little better. It's also funny to see him say again and again that they're not going to change things, happy with the system, and happy with their vision for the console. My how fast they started singing a different tune lol.

One final note is that due to them lifting the DRM restrictions, much of this functionality goes away. Meaning you can't share your online library anymore with family members, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lMhjM9BK7M

It's pretty obvious that Xbox One preorders were bad, and I think this puts to rest the idea that we are the "vocal minority" because it's apparent that Microsoft was not happy with early sales projections of the system with the restrictions intact.

I also think this is hilarious because I believe Microsoft in an interview said that this console could not function without these restrictions which I thought was a load of bullcrap and it proved to be true. This was just a sad attempt at getting more cash.

In the end, this has still tarnished the way I view Microsoft. This was like getting punched in the face by another kid at school, then him telling you he's sorry, but deep down nothing ever changes between you two because the dude still punched you in the face. I preordered a PS4 as soon as it became possible on Amazon and I intend to keep my preorder and never buy an Xbox One. Mandatory Kinect is still there, the hardware is weaker than the PS4, and the perks, or lack thereof with Xbox Live Gold suck.

Seriously... the best you could do was Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed 2? Not Halo 4 and Assassin's Creed 3? Shows how cheap Microsoft is. Uncharted 3 and Saint's Row 3 are free right now on PS+ to put things in perspective.
They never said the hardware could not operate without the restrictions. It was purely a matter of what was required to get third party publishers to agree to the sharing and account portability features.

This really sucks. The change cripples what were the most appealing features of the new machine and the sole inducement I had to get it sooner than later.

As it stands, I doubt I will bother with the PS4 or Xbox One for two to three years, after the price has come down and there is a good selection of heavily discounted games. Worked out fine with their predecessors and now there is no reason to expect any different of the new machines.

In the end, this has still tarnished the way I view Microsoft. This was like getting punched in the face by another kid at school, then him telling you he's sorry, but deep down nothing ever changes between you two because the dude still punched you in the face. I preordered a PS4 as soon as it became possible on Amazon and I intend to keep my preorder and never buy an Xbox One.

No, its like getting punched in the face by another kid at school, then him telling you he's sorry, but deep down nothing ever changes between you two because the only reason he apologized in the first place was because you weren't going to buy the video game system he made and he realized he wasn't going to make any money off of you.

You reached too far MS... sit on it.

It would be funny if everyone who hated their original plan simply said not good enough and kept their PS4 preorders, but then everybody who was on board said well now you have no reason to charge me an extra $100 and jumped ship too. If their preorder numbers were to actually go down after this it would be one of the funniest things ever.

I'm still not interested paying extra $100 for camera I don't want, won't use but its enforced and required to run xbox (and on top of that its always listening)... And the fact my current headset won't work because M$ removed 3.5 audio jack from controller due to partnership with Turtle Beach and new equipment

It would be funny if everyone who hated their original plan simply said not good enough and kept their PS4 preorders, but then everybody who was on board said well now you have no reason to charge me an extra $100 and jumped ship too. If their preorder numbers were to actually go down after this it would be one of the funniest things ever.
It's another company that has no vision or principles. They should have stuck with the plan if they believed in it, but they clearly did not. I would consider the Xbox brand in complete disarray and you wonder if they have any competent people calling the shots over there. I think you could do a better job managing that brand, bilbobagins3.

What they did was alienate the few people who were standing behind them and they will fail to win the support of those who abandoned them.

Kudos to Microsoft for coming to their damn senses.
And by senses you mean business sense. M$ is a business and they stood to lose a lot of money without making a change. They don't give a shit about gamers otherwise.
Yeah, I love how people on my FB feed were going on about how "MS heard our cries and backed off". I was like no, MS didn't hear the cha-ching sound of the resigter and thats why they backed off lol

It needs to be said that the XBOX ONE still requires you to have an internet connection during the initial setup process.  So those people who live in areas with no internet connections, and our soldiers, will not be able to play games on the XBOX ONE still.

was this some sort of publicity stunt..?

1- announce you're doing major DRM

2- every core gamer discussing DRM and xbox one

3- get rid of DRM

4- INSTANT HERO!

I Enjoy my 360 and I enjoy my Kinect even with all the small kinks, but I'm still not going to preorder the console because preordering a console (ANY console) is goddamn stupid. So I'll wait until there actually is a selection of games and see how things play out before I jump on the next gen band wagon.

This is some strange news.  So will you still install the games and no longer require the disk?  That was the only positive feature of the DRM I thought was I would be able to pick games from the dashboard and not stick them in the DVD drive. 

This is good news for used games and for gamestop.com 

I'm shocked that MS dropped DRM before it even launched.  I thought it might be interesting to see both companies go in opposite directions on this.  I guess Sony had DRM in the plans as well but once they saw the Microsoft backlash dropped the idea. 

Bravo to them for changing DRM policies etc. I'm sticking with my PS4 preorder since its $100 less and wont have motion control/vipoice commands forced into games since Eye isn't packed in like Kinect.

But at least the X1 is an option for me down the road if I am gaming more and want a gears/halo fix. Where as I'd have never considered one with the DRM nonsense.

It needs to be said that the XBOX ONE still requires you to have an internet connection during the initial setup process. So those people who live in areas with no internet connections, and our soldiers, will not be able to play games on the XBOX ONE still.
I can see stores making money off this-Don't have internet/don't want to update, we'll do it for you for $30! Best Buy at least used to do this for current consoles already when I still worked there, don't know if they still do.

They would have to make Kinect not mandatory.
That would help with the price but the Xbox One still has slower memory than the PS4 and if the rumors about yield issues are true then the Xbox One could be significantly less powerful than the PS4. (my understanding is that the eSRAM yield issues result in clockspeeds being lowered all-around thus making the entire system less powerful)

^ I don't know what any of that means.

Does anyone actually think MS will remove this permanently? From they way they've been talking post interview it seems like it will eventually be brought back.

It needs to be said that the XBOX ONE still requires you to have an internet connection during the initial setup process. So those people who live in areas with no internet connections, and our soldiers, will not be able to play games on the XBOX ONE still.
This will only affect the initial batch of machines until they change the firmware installed at the factory. After the first few months the change should be in all shipping units.

It's pretty much the same situation as the Wii U launch. Nintendo had severely broken firmware they didn't want consumers to deal with and deicided it was better to have that huge download. If my nephew in Afghanistan really wanted a Wii U for use there, he'd have me make the buy and get it updated before shipping it to him. No big deal. He'd do the same thing with a PS3 or Xbox 360 as a precaution just because there are updates frequently enough to expect a newly purchased machine to need some. The same goes for a new computer or a wide variety of other consumer electronic devices that are heavily firmware driven.

Since my nephew is in the Marine Corps version Geek Squad, he actually has fairly good internet access for where he is. A lot of guys who out in forward bases would bring their gear to him to get it updated, with the understanding it will be pretty slow due to low bandwidth and usage restrictions.

Does anyone actually think MS will remove this permanently? From they way they've been talking post interview it seems like it will eventually be brought back.
Most likely it will be offered as an opt-in for those who wanted the new features.

I had no problem with the original design. My internet has been pretty solid for the last fifteen years, going back to when I was the only DSL user in my entire neighborhood because nobody else had asked for it and they weren't ready to start promoting it. I really liked the features they were describing and the connectivity requirement doesn't bother me at all, just as it doesn't for my phone or tablets. I have plenty of Android games that run a license check every single time I run them. It adds a couple seconds to getting into the game, so a single daily check-in that covered every bit of software on the device would be a bit more convenient.

They would have to make Kinect not mandatory.
That would help with the price but the Xbox One still has slower memory than the PS4 and if the rumors about yield issues are true then the Xbox One could be significantly less powerful than the PS4. (my understanding is that the eSRAM yield issues result in clockspeeds being lowered all-around thus making the entire system less powerful)
Your source for this? Yields on the ESRAM should not be a problem unless it is a really, really large volume that would make no sense in this application, as it would get into dimishing returns in aiding performance. Meanwhile, the greater number of GPU cores in the PS4 APU incurs yield penaties of its own.

If you look at the product line from Nvidia and AMD/ATI at any given moment, you'll find the mid-range GPUs will have a certain number of elements for a certain price per core. The high end cards will have a greater number of cores at a notably higher price per core. This is almost entirely due to yields. Those chips which are intended to have, say, 100 cores but only 80 of them pass testing, can still be sold as a lesser product. This applies mainly to the cutting edge chips where you try to make the highest model each time and get you lower models from the ones that don't cut it but are salvageable.

This is how the 486SX came into existence way back when. The 486 was Intel's first CPU with a dedicated FPU built-in and a good protion of the production was coming up with bad FPUs. So they sold them as a model without an FPU, which was still acceptable back then. The reduced price made it so popular that Intel eventual had to start making them on purpose. There weren't enough 486 chips with bad FPUs to meet demand.

Anyway, yields is one of the reasons Microsoft chose a large on-die buffer in place of more GPU cores. It mitigated the difference in memory type used and the overall package was less likely to have production problem at the initial process node. Unless AMD is going to be selling a cut-down APU product that is identical to the PS4 APU with less cores, it means that any chip that comes up fewer than the minimum specced after testing is going to be a complete loss. (The design likely includes at least two spares to allow for some failure margin.)

that is mostly like the case, they will slowly implement those restrictionsback in, once they establish another strong market presence in NOrth america.

I may be alone in this, but I guess I'll say it anyway. I kind of like the idea of going out, buying a disc, installing that game and never having to worry about keeping track of that disc again. So why don't I just download a game? Because it takes forever. Internet speeds from good old Time Warner Cable are inconsistent at best. Not only that, but if I buy a disc, I have something to display. And that's half the fun.

The other idea I kind of liked was the idea of selling digital games when I was done with them. Now Microsoft never came out and said that, but think about it. You buy a digital game play it and transfer the license to someone else. You make some of your cash back, the publishers make a little money too and everyone is happy. Don't know how that would work, but I'm sure it would have been entirely possible. 

There is never a time where I am not in a connected state. My phone is always connected, my computer is always connected and my modern consoles are always connected. I'm all for gamer's rights and what ever else, but I'm also for making a positive change in this industry. There was some great value in what Microsoft had to offer, but unfortunately it changed things up a little too much for the comfort of those with very loud voices in the, get this, internet connected stratosphere. This is a win for gamers, I guess, but ultimately Microsoft's concept will become reality and their ideas (or something close to it) will be the norm.

Your source for this? Yields on the ESRAM should not be a problem unless it is a really, really large volume that would make no sense in this application, as it would get into dimishing returns in aiding performance. Meanwhile, the greater number of GPU cores in the PS4 APU incurs yield penaties of its own.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576869

crazy buttocks on a train is credible. He would have been banned a long time ago on GAF if he wasn't.

I guess that I just plain don't trust Microsoft when it comes to the Xbox One right now because of all of the PR bullshit and double-speak and backpedaling and complete reversal of policies but always with the old 'We can still change all of this at any time' crap. You take all of that and you start really thinking when they claim to not be having yield issues or that they aren't downclocking or having UI issues and so on.

Don't get me wrong, this reversal is wonderful for consumers but there are still plenty of things which smell in regards to the Xbox One on both the hardware and software fronts. At best it is completely unsettling for a company which is rumored to be slated for major restructuring and changes after a few perceived flops. (and we can all agree that the Xbox One reveal was a complete clusterfuck...no perceived qualifier there :booty: )

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576869

crazy buttocks on a train is credible. He would have been banned a long time ago on GAF if he wasn't.
Although you may be right, I find it very hard to believe someone with a username "crazy buttocks on a train".

bread's done
Back