Xbox Series S - $299.99

Amazon

Best Buy

GameStop

Microsoft Store

Target

Walmart

Wario64 wrote on Twitter:

some numbers I heard for GameStop per-store allocations for Xbox Series preorders:
Series X - 6-12 per store
Series S - 2-4 per store— Wario64 (@Wario64) September 21, 2020

Stores may also have a Microsoft financing program available called XBox All Access: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-all-access#findaretailer

Last edited by a moderator:
Be honest, how many people in this thread want it because it's the new hot item and how many plan to be gaming on it right away?

The launch lineup looks as bad as I've ever seen. I ordered one, but I honestly have no idea what I'm gonna use it for right away. I was actually in the mood for a Halo, I haven't played one in years. Sucks it got postponed although it needed the extra work.

Be honest, how many people in this thread want it because it's the new hot item and how many plan to be gaming on it right away?

The launch lineup looks as bad as I've ever seen. I ordered one, but I honestly have no idea what I'm gonna use it for right away. I was actually in the mood for a Halo, I haven't played one in years. Sucks it got postponed although it needed the extra work.
Game Pass is a huge thing for me. It'll have a nice lineup to start, with Gears 5 as a launch title iirc at the very least. PS5 has Demon's Souls, which I never played on PS3.

It’s definitely going to be a while before there’s a must-play for me. I may try to hold off on playing the first Doom DLC so that I can play it on Series X. Otherwise, I’m interested in Miles Morales and Demon’s Souls on PS5 and Hyrule Warriors on Switch as my main upcoming games.

I'm undecided whether I'm keeping my preorder. I think the Series S is a great option, but... I just want to be able to buy things at my leisure, apply every discount without having to click buttons in a frantic sprint, and to look at deals. And I need some more time to think whether to get the Series S or a PS5 Digital console.

I'm not trying to knock either console. Just saying that maybe someone else would be happier if me cancelling my preorder... allows them one.

I blame bots from the 80s.

tenor.gif
80’s bots were the best.

Actually, everything 80’s was the best.

It’s true ... I have no reason to own a Series X probably until Halo comes out, but I wanted to grab one so I can sell my 1X now and be prepped for next gen. Since my preorder won’t go through on MS store, I guess I’m just in a holding pattern until grabbing one becomes an option.

Holding off playing SOD2 til the S comes in November. I normally switch between ps4 and one, but with the one in my sons room. I have been waiting to play xbox for awhile.

Yeah but the clothes, hair, skiing, toys, cartoons, and cocaine were all amazing.
I agree with you on the toys and cartoons. The food was good too, no health fads.

I take that back, the Lamborghini Countach and BMW M3.

I'm right there with you. I pre ordered it on Amazon and at the time figured I'd sell my gears Xbox One X and upgrade, but now I'm kinda unsure I need to pay $200+ for the upgrade since I'm also getting the PS5. Might just be better off holding on to my Xbox One X and riding with that for another year or so.

I have one ordered so I have the option to get one at this point. I'm 50/50 whether I'll keep it because on one hand, I can certainly afford it and would definitely get use out of it with GPU. On the other, I don't need it. I have an X1X that's not even a year old but could easily be given to the wife as an upgrade she would not mind at all having for ESO. That and I'm already committed to a PS5 for Demon's Souls and finally getting around to some PS4 games I never did, hopefully with some upgrades patched in.

I think I would definitely fall into the category of 'hot new item' but would still be using it.

It has been fun, but I've decided to cancel my Series S Microsoft website preorder. Not only the reasons above, but I've been worried they might try to charge the console purchase so far ahead... well I'd be better off attempting to get one on or after launch with my payday so close to release. So I guess in about 3 or 4 minutes, I'm going to have my Series S cancelled. It could even pop up on the Microsoft page for someone else here if they are looking/refreshing.

It’s true ... I have no reason to own a Series X probably until Halo comes out, but I wanted to grab one so I can sell my 1X now and be prepped for next gen. Since my preorder won’t go through on MS store, I guess I’m just in a holding pattern until grabbing one becomes an option.
Well, the other side of the coin is Xbox has notoriously not held value well. Wasn't X1X $499 MSRP and constantly $100-200 off after just a year? Could be a blessing in disguise and definitely something I'm having to consider myself.

Just spent 1/2 an hour on hold with the MS store. They confirmed the Series X is out of stock and that their system doesn’t kick the item from your cart even if you can’t purchase it. So for those of us that haven’t been able to check out, we’re basically out of luck. The CSR also stated they don’t anticipate another allotment of systems for preorder before launch ... but that if it did come back into stock, you could potentially order it immediately by leaving the item in your cart (probably how one CAG was able to get it to go through an hour or two ago).

Bottom line, I would give up on sitting around trying to get it to go through, but maybe check back every now and again to see if does become active (probably bc of cancelled preorders).

Well, the other side of the coin is Xbox has notoriously not held value well. Wasn't X1X $499 MSRP and constantly $100-200 off after just a year? Could be a blessing in disguise and definitely something I'm having to consider myself.
Who knows, a Halo Special Edition Series X might come out when Halo releases.

More than likely they'll tally up cancellations and just release that stock at some point. Just because allocation is gone, doesn't mean it was their entire allotment. ;)

Yeah the exclusive launch lineup is pretty much not existent but excluding Nintendo launches it's not like most launch games are worth a damn anyway.

I'll be getting it to game though. Both at launch and in the future. With the backwards compatibility and smart delivery and Game Pass I'll be kept busy. Probably give my XBox One X to my brother in law since his launch Xbox One just died. Plus I'm sure cyberpunk will still run better on it even if the Series X upgrade won't be for a few months still.

So can we pretty much say that Microsoft preorders were the same has Sony just utter chaos
Yep, except for the fan boy bullshit that people post about it being so much easier than the PS5 and MS playing it as "We are so humbled by the interest in Series X/S pre-orders." It was still a mess for many people.

Yep, except for the fan boy bullshit that people post about it being so much easier than the PS5 and MS playing it as "We are so humbled by the interest in Series X/S pre-orders." It was still a mess for many people.
Yeah, having it scheduled was a bit nicer (As opposed to the "Pre-orders tomorrow.....wait no in 30 minutes!" thing). But I literally couldnt get on Gamestop's site during the whole duration because the stupid queue just kept randomly refreshing on me, Amazon still sold out in like 2-3 minutes, Gamestop seems to have gotten even less of these than the PS4 for in-store orders, and sites were still crashing

Both were a clusterfuck just in different ways

I'm right there with you. I pre ordered it on Amazon and at the time figured I'd sell my gears Xbox One X and upgrade, but now I'm kinda unsure I need to pay $200+ for the upgrade since I'm also getting the PS5. Might just be better off holding on to my Xbox One X and riding with that for another year or so.
I actually want it for several game improvements for games I already own or will have soon. Cyberpunk, Avengers, etc. Performance improvements and graphics improvements will be nice, but loading speed is a big detriment to the current gen. I'm hoping to see a big improvement there. This is the generation where the mechanical drive showed its age. I still remember getting my PS4 for Bloodborne and the crazy long loading on that (prepath when it was especially bad).

I was tempted to try to get a preorder in this morning but passed. I have the PS5 preordered to replace my OG PS4 and keeping the One X for Game Pass until there's a nice deal and a killer exclusive on the Series X.

I don't remember having any issues at all getting a PS4 instore last gen, I felt like the WiiU was the hard one.
It wasn't terrible, you could find XB1 if you put in some effort, PS4 was a little harder. I just remember the CAG thread over in General Gaming where a guy had this long thread talking about how awesome scalping them was and how much money he was making moving "units". He was kind of trying to drive the perception of rarity to drive up prices, though it really wasn't all that true.

I stayed overnight to get a Wii U at around... what was it, $350 for the deluxe? Regret it to this day.
Haha, I remember feeling so lucky when I walked into a Gamestop and they had one of the early Zombie U editions. But within a couple of days I was like what the **** was I thinking? Worst console I've ever owned.

Haha, I remember feeling so lucky when I walked into a Gamestop and they had one of the early Zombie U editions. But within a couple of days I was like what the **** was I thinking? Worst console I've ever owned.
I remember when I first booted up the Wii U on launch day and being shocked at how terrible the UI was and how everything had a loading screen. I got a pre order in at GameStop so I didn't have to wait in line or anything but man that was a horrible console.

The chaos made it easier for those who were following the situation.  Everyone knew the pre-orders were going to start today.  You saw a few hours later when BB put their pre-orders back up that it got incredibly easy to order, there was little resistance.  Once you got it into your cart, ordering it was a breeze.  If you weren't following, you'd have no idea and you'd be SOL.  But if you decided to go into work late or was able to take only an hour out of the day, you would've had an incredibly difficult time and had no idea there was another window.

Honestly, outside of the shitshow that is the Microsoft Store, the retailers' incompetence in handling the traffic isn't on Microsoft.  It was 100% Sony's fault for allowing retailers to start pre-orders early and for flat out lying when they said people would be given ample notice.  Ironically, Gamestop was the smart one by having a queue system, which honestly all of these companies should have at this point.  Sadly, I got into the queue too late and the base Xs were already sold out, but at least I wasn't pressing the refresh button a million times.  And of course Amazon was able to handle the traffic, though they didn't start at 11am ET the way the others did; their randomness in the start time allowed people that 2-3 minutes to order one and not deal with clogged servers, though my understanding is the window to order was only a few minutes long or so.

I still think Sony handled things far worse by flat out lying out the pre-order situation, though Microsoft enabled bots and clogged servers by having a set announcement time.  However, if Microsoft just said the 22nd, you'd have people up all night which is an issue in its own way.  But, again, it's not Microsoft's fault these retailers don't have an effective way to deal with all the heavy traffic.  Both situations were terrible, but I still say Sony was worse.

The first one. I barely have time to play the switch.

I genuinely want an S for the Game Pass. I almost brought a One a few times when they dipped in the $200 range but decided to wait. So $300 for a new console with all those games seems perfect to me

PS5 will still be my main console though, and I don't want an X (Even though I got a preorder in) as the only games I could see myself buying on Xbox are the exclusives

I had to double check my order after seeing this. Lol[attachment=34643:Eii-IyMXYAEO-TW.jpeg]

On IGN they mentioned that Amazon was selling out of a large amount of Xbox One Xs. I guess people can't tell the difference. Looks like we got another Wii / Wii U situation again with Xbox now. I remember a lady coming into Gamestop and not knowing the difference between the Wii and Wii U.

if anyone is still trying to get a console, i had an series S in my cart from earlier at microsoft store and started spamming the place order button and it actually went through. it showed in my cart that i only had $10 in MS money but it applied the full $310 successfully. you cant add it to cart now, but if you had it there already it might work.

I added a XBSS to my MS cart sometime this afternoon to get my participation trophy (didn't buy it with accumulated xbox credit), but right now it still shows up in my cart and checkoutable. Guessing it'll give an error if I try to click place order?  :D/

I added a XBSS to my MS cart sometime this afternoon to get my participation trophy (didn't buy it with accumulated xbox credit), but right now it still shows up in my cart and checkoutable. Guessing it'll give an error if I try to click place order? :D/
you will get an error, but i did it about 5 or 6 times and the last time it actually went through.

On IGN they mentioned that Amazon was selling out of a large amount of Xbox One Xs. I guess people can't tell the difference. Looks like we got another Wii / Wii U situation again with Xbox now. I remember a lady coming into Gamestop and not knowing the difference between the Wii and Wii U.
Today they sold 700% more One Xs at scalper prices than they did yesterday. Maybe they sold 2? That's 14 today. It's not as big an issue as twitter makes it sound.

Just got home from work.....what did I miss today? ;) I did manage to order from the microsoft store before leaving for work after many failed attempts via gamestop. I was surprised to see a gamestop order confirmation later in the day.....must of glitched itself through. 

So did most people succeed with a preorder? Does it appear that there was more stock than ps5 preorder? 

I'm looking forward to playing any of the last 4 generations of Xbox plus with GPU soon all of EA & Bethesda games and 4K UHD Movies on my shinny new XSX!

Oh HALO INFINITE & that Gears Tactics looks interesting on XSX launch day!!

bread's done
Back