XBOX360 General Questions - Setups/Hrdwr/Accessories/XBOX Live...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really.

Let's say:

"Bathory1" ---(changes name to)---> "Bathory2"

"Bathory1" doesn't exist anymore and never existed as far as Microsoft is concerned. "Bathory2" has now inherited "B1"'s profile which includes friends and gamerscore.

For some reason I can't connect to Xbox Live anymore. It fails at the IP address part. I haven't changed a single thing so I have no idea why this is happening. Any ideas on how to fix it?

[quote name='mrchainsaw']For some reason I can't connect to Xbox Live anymore. It fails at the IP address part. I haven't changed a single thing so I have no idea why this is happening. Any ideas on how to fix it?[/QUOTE]

that happened to me a few days ago.... but within like a few minutes all was good.

[quote name='ITDEFX']that happened to me a few days ago.... but within like a few minutes all was good.[/quote] It happened to me yesterday. I just didn't do anything with XBL until tonight when I unplugged everything and tried it again but it still doesn't work. I don't have any great desire to get on XBL right now, but it's bothering me.

TW07 has been freezing on my occasionally the last couple of days. Stupid refurb.

Calling MicroCenter...I'm coming to get my replacement.

I purchased a VGA cable for my 360 today and I'm hooking it up to my computer monitor. Video is working great and I'm pleased with the picture quality.

I'm having a hard time finding a cheap ass way to get a halfway decent audio setup going with it though. I originally had decided to attempt to rout it through my audio card through the mic-in port through this adapter:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...=&pg=4&kwCatId=2032058&kw=y&parentPage=search

I fired up Halo 3 to see how it sounded, and it was awful. Any sound that was high or low sounded very distorted, and much of the speech in the cut scenes could not be heard clearly. I decided to see if this was an issue with the cable or if it was pushing it through my sound card, so I hooked the audio into the built-in speakers in my monitor. This time around, the audio was not distorted, but obviously a monitor's built-in speakers leave a lot to be desired. So it's not the cable as far as I can tell, it's just me lacking a way to get halfway decent, undistorted audio.

Do any of you out there have experience with such a problem? If anyone is familiar with my computer's speakers, is there a simple way to directly connect the audio there (I'm not hopeful for this kind of solution if only because each speaker plugs into the sub woofer with an RCA cable)? Any other ideas that might run me 30 dollars or less?

Thanks CAG's

I had the same issue...
But i had a 2.1 Creative speaker set laying around, so I hooked that up to it. I had to buy a couple adaptors to make it work, but it's wonderful.

While I'm sure the speakers are great, a new set of speakers isn't the option for me. I may make a return trip to Radioshack for a 2nd adapter, and I may just hook up the 360's audio to the main 2.1 of my speakers, which would still be much better than using my pc's sound card.

Any other suggestions are welcome, as I'm willing to try about anything that won't cost too much to implement.

Call it a hunch, but I think your sound issues probably have something to do with how you're mic port is configured in the windows control panal (assuming you're using some version of windows). If you have a Line-In plug use that instead - the mic port by default shouldn't route audio through your speakers but a line-in port will (just have to unmute in the control panel).

why can't you just wire the 360 cable into your PC and then out to your speaker system?

If not that I use a male to male headpone plug and swap between the 360 connector and pc connector.

dscn0154xb0.jpg

Does your audio card or reciever have digital/optical input? I picked up an optical auido cable for $2 at Target. You can't beat the sound quality of that!

csalzman had it right. I muted the microphone in the sound control panel, and unmuted Line-in, and it sounds fine now. Thanks for all the suggestions and the help.

I have heard positives and negatives - but is the 360 worth getting anymore?

I really just want it for 2 games... Halo 3 and Skate.

If those are your big choice titles, then no. an xbox 1 is like 50 bucks, and halo 2 is like 15. Same experience. Skate is pretty good but not worth a whole system for it.

You're in a 360 forum, what kind of answers do you expect?

On a side note to the poster 2 posts above, Halo 3 > Halo 2 in every way. They don't even play the same. Halo 2 had too much gayness with smg start, quick sniping, super jumping, etc

Halo 3 plays like Halo 1, but with an insane number of possible customizations, which is good.

[quote name='Surferflames']If those are your big choice titles, then no. an xbox 1 is like 50 bucks, and halo 2 is like 15. Same experience.[/quote]

Not if there aren't any people playing it online anymore...

Why do you just want it for Skate and Halo 3? Honestly... I don't think there's a game that the 360 can't offer you or an equivalent other than Final Fantasy 13 if it ever comes out.

yes.... unless you want a black shiny bling bling where the controllers just gathers dust and only good for playing Blue Ray movies, then might as well get a 360 with a shit load of features.

[quote name='TFLNetwork']I have heard positives and negatives - but is the 360 worth getting anymore?

I really just want it for 2 games... Halo 3 and Skate.[/quote]

Anymore? That implies that the 360 is in its wanning period. The 360 is definately worth getting right now, and will be worth it for another 2, hell 3 years.

Help!
My 360 just recently died, but good thing I got the 1 year warranty from microcenter, but I never used these instore protection plan before and I am now sure how it works.
Do I just bring the 360 unit, or I need to bring pack all my accesories into my retail box?
How am I gonna keep my hard drive, if they need to replace my 360?
Do I just walk into the store or do I need to make phone call and appointment etc.?
Any input will be helpful!
Thank you in advance

[quote name='enzoshadow']Help!
My 360 just recently died, but good thing I got the 1 year warranty from microcenter, but I never used these instore protection plan before and I am now sure how it works.
Do I just bring the 360 unit, or I need to bring pack all my accesories into my retail box?
How am I gonna keep my hard drive, if they need to replace my 360?
Do I just walk into the store or do I need to make phone call and appointment etc.?
Any input will be helpful!
Thank you in advance[/QUOTE]

ok, then your area only got 1 year, while mine got 2 years... basically what you do is bring everything back, including the hard drive. Call them ahead of time to see if they have a refurbed in stock...then have them put it at customer service/returns. Go in with your receipt, tell them you got the RRoD and vola! New refurbed. However if your receipt doesn't state unlimited exchanges as long as defective for a year (like mine but for 2 years), then that trade in might be the only one you get after that. Mine died 28 days AFTER i bought it from them..which really sucked. It's been almost 4 weeks since I replaced it so I am hoping it won't die anytime soon as I am getting Ace Combat 6 this week from them.

[quote name='ITDEFX']ok, then your area only got 1 year, while mine got 2 years... basically what you do is bring everything back, including the hard drive. Call them ahead of time to see if they have a refurbed in stock...then have them put it at customer service/returns. Go in with your receipt, tell them you got the RRoD and vola! New refurbed. However if your receipt doesn't state unlimited exchanges as long as defective for a year (like mine but for 2 years), then that trade in might be the only one you get after that. Mine died 28 days AFTER i bought it from them..which really sucked. It's been almost 4 weeks since I replaced it so I am hoping it won't die anytime soon as I am getting Ace Combat 6 this week from them.[/quote]
Wow! I was hoping they would replace me a new one instead of a refurb..... Thanks for the input!

Quick question, please help.

If I buy a 360 from ebay or Craigslists would I still be protected under the three year warranty if anything happened to it (three rings of death comes to mind)

I did a search through this thread and didn't find an answer so I'm sorry if I missed it.

I am new to live gold but not the 360. I tried using the headset that's included with the 360 and the audio I get of other players talking is awful. Not feedback, just slow and 'robot-like'. It sounds like steven hawkins talking slowly. I can't imagine this is what it's supposed to sound like, but I dont know for sure b/c I haven't used this feature before.

So, is it supposed to be this bad, have I connected something wrong, or is it just plain defective?

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I'm looking to get a few people on my friends list so send me a request if you like.

T

I know it's a weird question but does anyone have a 360 where the power brick is noticeably loud? If you put your ear right up to it you can normally hear a faint hum, but I just purchased a Halo 3 Edition 360 and the sound it makes is significantly more discernible than on my old premium 360. It makes a moderate whirring sound (like a laptop's fan) but, even worse, it continuously goes up and down in intensity, to the point that it's noticeable and slightly annoying. I noticed the model number on the adapter is different from before and was wondering if that was the reason or if it was defective (or would the sound go away after prolonged use?). Should I safely be able to use the old adapter on my new console?

i have some xbl 48 hour trial codes, and my gold just ran out. i attempted to use one and it wont take in the console or xbox.com.

the back of the card says something like only available for new gold subscribers, so am i sol? any ideas?

[quote name='spoo']You can play Live right of the box with a wired solution, if you want wireless than you need an adapter or bridge.[/quote]
Thanks, does the wire come with the console or is that seperate (although the wire is cheap). Now does the wire have to connect strait into my wireless router (its in the other room) or is there a way i could connect my laptop to the 360 to let the 360 use my laptops wireless concetion as a router of sorts to get onto live (hope that makes sense)

[quote name='Anudem']Thanks, does the wire come with the console or is that seperate (although the wire is cheap). Now does the wire have to connect strait into my wireless router (its in the other room) or is there a way i could connect my laptop to the 360 to let the 360 use my laptops wireless concetion as a router of sorts to get onto live (hope that makes sense)[/QUOTE]
Yes and yes. Mine came with a Cat 5e cable to hook up to a router and you can use a laptops wireless but I'm not sure how to set it up or how well it works.

[quote name='Anudem']Thanks, does the wire come with the console or is that seperate (although the wire is cheap). Now does the wire have to connect strait into my wireless router (its in the other room) or is there a way i could connect my laptop to the 360 to let the 360 use my laptops wireless concetion as a router of sorts to get onto live (hope that makes sense)[/quote] Yes, you can use your laptop as a sort of router for the 360, that's what I do. Just put the ethernet cable into the 360 and the laptop. Then go to Start-->Settings-->Network Connections. Click on your connection and click on "properties." Go to the "sharing" tab and check the box for "enable internet connection sharing." I haven't played anything that could suffer from lag with it yet, but everything else seems to work just fine. Good luck!

So I just got the red rings of death. The system rebooted after a few tries. I'm wondering if this problem is just gonna get worse? Should I just take it back to costco?

[quote name='doctorfaustus']So I just got the red rings of death. The system rebooted after a few tries. I'm wondering if this problem is just gonna get worse? Should I just take it back to costco?[/quote]Take it back now or send it in to MS. It'll crop up again sooner or later, better that you do it while the warranty/return policy is still in effect.

Does anybody have any new news on the Wireless Racing Wheel retrofit?

I never got a letter or email about sending the wheel back even though a few CAG's did, and yesterday I get a big box from FedEx with Standard Overnight shipping and a one sheet illustrated instruction page on how to package the wheel but nothing on what to do with it afterward. Today I call Xbox and ask about it and they tell me not to send it back because they don't ship with FedEx on stuff like this. They tell me to keep waiting until they have the retrofits in stock and they will ship me one out when they become available.

[quote name='Santurio']Does anybody have any new news on the Wireless Racing Wheel retrofit?

I never got a letter or email about sending the wheel back even though a few CAG's did, and yesterday I get a big box from FedEx with Standard Overnight shipping and a one sheet illustrated instruction page on how to package the wheel but nothing on what to do with it afterward. Today I call Xbox and ask about it and they tell me not to send it back because they don't ship with FedEx on stuff like this. They tell me to keep waiting until they have the retrofits in stock and they will ship me one out when they become available.[/quote]I asked about it the other day since I didn't receive any notification that they got my form either (the place is 20 minutes from here). The MS CSR said the retrofits aren't going out yet. The previous call I made said something about the first week of November before things start to move on the retrofits.

So is there a definitive word on how to tell if a premium system has an HDMI port ? 'Cause I need to replace my system and costco's bundles do not cleary indicate if they are HDMI enabled. Any thoughts/ideas ?

[quote name='doctorfaustus']So is there a definitive word on how to tell if a premium system has an HDMI port ? 'Cause I need to replace my system and costco's bundles do not cleary indicate if they are HDMI enabled. Any thoughts/ideas ?[/quote]

Yes. On one side, HDMI will be listed along with the other features of the 360. On the other side, it should say 'Zephyr' on the sticker.

Just bought an Elite with the holiday bundle and I'm curious rather the service contract included in the box is worth getting. I know the RRoD has been extended to three years, but would it be worth picking up just in case the drive decides to start eating discs, which is the second big problem I keep hearing about?

If i were to say "Red Ring of Death"...

...I think i heard some of you shudder in fear....

anyways, yeah, happened to me. This Xbox 360 was given to me beacuse it was broken, so i attempted to take it apart (although i may not be a qualified Microsoft Technician, i am an electronics tech by day) and i realized that most of the processors are SMT soldered onto the board. I re-assembled the Xbox 360 and called Microsoft and went through all the process of registering the damn thing and all that, and i guess they're going to send me a magic box to put the console in, and hopefully MS will not charge me for the repair, it was a general Hardware failure (3 lights) and i was wondering if any of you have had to take these steps, how did it go? did any of you get charged for the repair? this thing was given to me so i don't know how much a MS repair job is worth.

And by the way, don't ever take that thing apart, it was a pain in the ass big time. I will never take an Xbox apart again. :)

I looked throughout this thread, and didn't see a clear answer to this (sorry for sounding like such a noob):
Now that the regular (white) system has HDMI, what would be the other advantages of having the Elite instead?

1) I probably wont need all the extra space, since I'm not that hardcore of a gamer, but is 20GB efficient?

2) I know the Elite comes with the proper HDMI cables, too. Is there anything else I'm missing?

What do you guys suggest?
I'm not strapped for cash or anything, I can afford the Elite, I just don't want to blow $100 on extra features that I'm not going to utilize.

[quote name='drawingboard']I looked throughout this thread, and didn't see a clear answer to this (sorry for sounding like such a noob):
Now that the regular (white) system has HDMI, what would be the other advantages of having the Elite instead?

1) I probably wont need all the extra space, since I'm not that hardcore of a gamer, but is 20GB efficient?

2) I know the Elite comes with the proper HDMI cables, too. Is there anything else I'm missing?

What do you guys suggest?
I'm not strapped for cash or anything, I can afford the Elite, I just don't want to blow $100 on extra features that I'm not going to utilize.[/quote]

1) I thought 20GB would be enough for me, but I was down to 4GB left at one point and I saw that being used up soon. I only have a couple videos on there (the free South Park episode being close to 1GB, I think), 13 Arcade games, and close to 80 games that I have saves/downloadble content for. My Games folder alone is nearly 7GB and I know other users here have said they used up more.

Keep in mind, only 13GB of space is useable of those 20GB. The Dash also seems to not lag/stutter at all with the Elite

2) Yes, the Elites do come with an HDMI cable. It also comes with the audio dongle so you can use an optical out in conjunction with the HDMI. Otherwise, you'll have to buy that separately which is $40 B&M.

I'm quite happy with my Elite. There's a lot of free space which I'm sure will be put to good use in time.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']1) I thought 20GB would be enough for me, but I was down to 4GB left at one point and I saw that being used up soon. I only have a couple videos on there (the free South Park episode being close to 1GB, I think), 13 Arcade games, and close to 80 games that I have saves/downloadble content for. My Games folder alone is nearly 7GB and I know other users here have said they used up more.

Keep in mind, only 13GB of space is useable of those 20GB. The Dash also seems to not lag/stutter at all with the Elite

2) Yes, the Elites do come with an HDMI cable. It also comes with the audio dongle so you can use an optical out in conjunction with the HDMI. Otherwise, you'll have to buy that separately which is $40 B&M.

I'm quite happy with my Elite. There's a lot of free space which I'm sure will be put to good use in time.[/QUOTE]

Wow, thanks for the quick reply.
That basically means that I'd have to pay $390 for the 20GB w/HDMI cables. That makes the 120GB purchase look more desirable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back