XBOX360 General Questions - Setups/Hrdwr/Accessories/XBOX Live...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am finally experiencing issues with my Xbox 360. 4 days ago, While playing Bioshock, it wasn't able to connect to Xbox Live and the screen froze. I turned off, and turned on the console and I got the single red light and a message on my screen. I turned off the console, and unplugged the power supply and A/V cable.

I tried it a day later, and it booted up with no problems and connected to Xbox Live. I was able to play and save my games as I wished.

I was playing Bioshock last night, and at a certain point, the game froze right before it was to load up a new level, and the screen went black. I waited 2 minutes, and it never came back.

So this morning I played again, and it played fine until I tried to save. My harddrive is connected (thats how I store and load my games), but it will not allow me to save now. When I press start and it gives me my options (Load, Save, Controls, etc), all are in yellow text except for "Save", which is in dull gray. Ironically, the autosave feature kicked in when I got to the next level.

I checked my harddrive, and was able to load up other games I have (can't try to save manually, as they are all auto-save games).

What can I do here? Its obvious the hard drive still works.

I am going to buy a XBOX 360 Premium and I am wondering how do I know if it has the Falcon chipset?

I also have a question about the Earforce X1 and X2 headphones, I have read reviews on circuitcity.com and the X1s have better ratings. Has anyone used the X1 and X2 and have an opinion on how they compare?

And one more thing, is there is a list of wireless adapters that are compatiable with the 360?

Thanks for your help.

So I'm cashing in on the free warranty I got from gamestop since my 360 has been freezing on me. Is there a good chance I'll end up with a console with a falcon chip and a disc drive that doesn't sound like a lawnmower?

It's a premium

[quote name='Toejam Football']Oh yeah, does the Halo 3 special edition have an HDMI port aswell? I have read the Halo 3 edition is more likley to have the Falcon chip?[/quote]Yes, it has a HDMI, but no cable, I think. I can't give the percentages on the Falcon in the Halo 3 system, but it's higher with them.

Repeat:

I have questions about transferring my Data from the 20 gig HDD to the 120 gig HDD and about the Transfer kit.

It says in the transfer manual that I will not be able to swap files from the 20 gig HDD to the 120 gig HDD if I transfer the files. Does this mean that I cannot transfer files with memory cards?

Once I use the transfer kit can I use it to transfer files with different hard drives or is it a one time use for two hard drives?

By the way, Don't link me to xbox.com, I want to hear this from someone who has tried it.

Okay. This is how it works.

I'm not dead certain about this, but here is my understanding: you take 20 Gig hard drive A and transfer to hard drive B, you /cannot/ repeat that transfer. Unless, I suppose, you format hard drives A and B completely. It is my understanding that the device leaves a software flag on both of those drives? I might be wrong about this.

I do know that you CAN reuse the cable on two different Hard Drives (20 Gig A' to bigger drive B'). I borrowed by brother's cable to do just that.

I don't know if you can transfer data from a similarly sized hard drive to another.

[quote name='Gourd']Okay. This is how it works.

I'm not dead certain about this, but here is my understanding: you take 20 Gig hard drive A and transfer to hard drive B, you /cannot/ repeat that transfer. Unless, I suppose, you format hard drives A and B completely. It is my understanding that the device leaves a software flag on both of those drives? I might be wrong about this.

I do know that you CAN reuse the cable on two different Hard Drives (20 Gig A' to bigger drive B'). I borrowed by brother's cable to do just that.

I don't know if you can transfer data from a similarly sized hard drive to another.[/quote]

That is one of the things I wanted to know, Thanks! (See, it says in the manual that you should throw away the transfer kit after using it because "It won't work" But I didn't believe that)

Now, For the OTHER Question that hasn't been answered...

It says in the transfer kit manual that I will not be able to swap files from the 20 gig HDD to the 120 gig HDD if I transfer the files. Does this mean that I cannot transfer files with memory cards?

And once again, Please do not link me to xbox.com, I want to hear this from someone who has tried it! :)

[quote name='Slate']It says in the transfer kit manual that I will not be able to swap files from the 20 gig HDD to the 120 gig HDD if I transfer the files. Does this mean that I cannot transfer files with memory cards?[/quote]What exactly do you mean by swapping files? Once the transfer is made the 20GB is formatted so all your files on there will be gone.

I'm planning on buying the gears of war platinum hits on play-asia, it is an asian version according to the site, but has no region protection and therefore, compatible with NTSC-U systems and also has english language. So my question is: Does anyone know if I'm gonna have problems with Xbox Live by playing with this version online (aka: Am I gonna get banned if I play an Asian version of a game on a US system)?

Hi all,

I just won an Xbox 360 a few days ago and it arrived today. Now looking at the serial number, I know this is an older model of the 20 gig HD model.

My question is, what can I do/buy to help protect against a certain red ring of death from visiting my new system? Is buying an intercooler a gigantic waste of money, or could it really help anything? Thanks!

[quote name='Admiral Moo']Hi all,

I just won an Xbox 360 a few days ago and it arrived today. Now looking at the serial number, I know this is an older model of the 20 gig HD model.

My question is, what can I do/buy to help protect against a certain red ring of death from visiting my new system? Is buying an intercooler a gigantic waste of money, or could it really help anything? Thanks![/quote]From what I've read, the Intercooler can cause more problems than prevent them. Best thing to do is to just pony up for a MS extended warranty. I think you can get 2 years coverage for $60 and it will cover you in the event you get a failure that is not the 3 red lights.

Is it possible to use a memory card to have 1 gametag on 2 machine? Cause it deleted it when i use recovery

I have an Elite being delivered to me soon, about how much space should I leave around it to prevent overheating?

[quote name='Chuckles']I have an Elite being delivered to me soon, about how much space should I leave around it to prevent overheating?[/quote]

As long as it has ventilation on every side (Except for the bottom - Horizontally) You should be OK, But don't put it on a carpet!

Hey I just replaced my system, and was trying to figure out if the new one had the Falcon chipset (just curious, not really important). I thought I remember seeing a link to a site that you could type in your serial and find out... Is there one?

hey guys, does the regular xbox 360 have the hdmi output? or only the halo 3 and xbox elite edition have it. thnx, and also, im planning to get an xbox 360 next week, what package, or set or whatever should i get? thanks :]

-person

[quote name='halopwn3r']hey guys, does the regular xbox 360 have the hdmi output? or only the halo 3 and xbox elite edition have it. thnx, and also, im planning to get an xbox 360 next week, what package, or set or whatever should i get? thanks :]

-person[/quote]
Unless you're buying it used or from a store that has really old stock, all SKU's of the 360 have HDMI ports now, with the exception of the original Core (That's the one that doesn't come with a hard drive or an Arcade disc). If you want to be double sure, check the side of the box. It'll mention HDMI if it includes it or not.

As for which version, I'd say go with the Premium, or "Pro" as it seems to be called now, one (White box) unless you want the bigger hard drive space of the Elite. Just make sure you get the one with two free games included (Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and Forza 2) because 2 free games are always good! :D

*Edit* Removed the Halo 3 offer, apparently they now require an orginal Xbox with paid gold and transfered to 360.

[quote name='Slate']It says in the transfer kit manual that I will not be able to swap files from the 20 gig HDD to the 120 gig HDD if I transfer the files. Does this mean that I cannot transfer files with memory cards?

And once again, Please do not link me to xbox.com, I want to hear this from someone who has tried it! :)[/quote]

Repeat, Please do not link me to xbox.com!

I'm currently in the market for a new Internet Service Provider. My main priority is that the new connection is fast enough to give me smooth gameplay over XBL. A faster connection is always nice, but I assume there's a certain point where the gameplay doesn't really get any smoother, and it's just the download speeds that see a noticeable improvement. So that's the middle ground I'm looking for. I don't care how long it takes to download stuff, so I wanna get just enough speed to keep my XBL games smooth.

For example: looking at plans offered by Verizon and Optimum, I see Verizon gives you 3 Mbps while Optimum claims a speed of 15 Mbps. Does this difference in speed make Optimum the obvious choice for gaming? Or is anything past 3 Mpbs just a luxury, offering faster download speeds and not much else?

With download speeds, anything past 3Mbps is pretty much a luxury of faster downloads, but it doesn't hurt to have. Beyond that you're going to want a decent upload speed so when you get picked to host a game (which isn't always in your control in Lives peer to peer service), the game won't lag for everyone else and possibly make it less enjoyable. Plus being able to host games for friends is always a nice addition. The minimum upload speed you should shoot for is 768Kbps personally, but always try and go for more if possible unless the cost is absurd for a small boost in upload speed.

You also may want to ask around to family and friends with their own experiences with ISPs before deciding on one too in my opinion and cross check cost versus speed. While ISPs may say 15Mbps, be cautious as you may not get that speed as it will actually say "Up to 15Mbps" in pretty much all cases. Thus it's not guaranteed that you'll recieve the said max speed.

i use verizon and have 3mps connection speed. LIVE is usually pretty decent, although i never host games so i'm not sure how fast i am at that end.

I have FIOS and I never have a problem with online play. Also, whenever people are bitching about super slow downloads at the time of a hot demo going up I can always download a it in about a minute. When I had Comcast it used to take forever (hours).

Anyone know if I can make the Turtlebeach X2 headset be just a headset (so in game music isnt heard) or of any way of altering the sound level for the in game sound or the voice chat sound? It's really pissing me off that I can't use this for Halo 3 since I can't hear anybody with the headset thanks to no in game audio options in Halo 3.

Another option, though I'd rather not go this route, would be to buy a headset that had separate volume controls for in game sound and voice chat. I had the X3 but I did not like the open mic feature since it made a hissing sound that you could not get rid of.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I'd love to enjoy Halo 3 online. BTW I know I could just use the mic that comes with the 360, but the sound comes in way too low on that headset, even with all the options maxed.

Okay so i bought a 2nd xbox 360 without a HDD to play at my other home. All i really want to do is save game data and use my xbox live profile. Is the 64mb memory unit sufficient for this or should i pay the 15 extra for the 512mb? is it possible to 'copy and paste' all of my game data, and xbox live account from my HDD on my original console, onto my memory unit?

Also, when DLC like halo 3 maps are released, where are they stored? if they are stored on the memory source, will 64mb be good enough

[quote name='omgu8myrice']Okay so i bought a 2nd xbox 360 without a HDD to play at my other home. All i really want to do is save game data and use my xbox live profile. Is the 64mb memory unit sufficient for this or should i pay the 15 extra for the 512mb? is it possible to 'copy and paste' all of my game data, and xbox live account from my HDD on my original console, onto my memory unit?

Also, when DLC like halo 3 maps are released, where are they stored? if they are stored on the memory source, will 64mb be good enough[/quote]Get yourself a HDD. Game content keeps using up more disk space. GRAW content alone is somewhere around 500MB, I think. I don't know for sure, but the GoW map packs were over 64MB.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Get yourself a HDD. Game content keeps using up more disk space. GRAW content alone is somewhere around 500MB, I think. I don't know for sure, but the GoW map packs were over 64MB.[/quote]
if i get a HDD, and i do account recovery, will i get all my game saves back? or do i need to manually transfer it.

[quote name='omgu8myrice']if i get a HDD, and i do account recovery, will i get all my game saves back? or do i need to manually transfer it.[/quote]I don't think game saves can be recovered. You'll have to manually transfer with your memory card. I may be mistaken, though.

[quote name='omgu8myrice']if i get a HDD, and i do account recovery, will i get all my game saves back? or do i need to manually transfer it.[/QUOTE]

Just your account and achievements are stored in your profile .

If you buy a memory card you would keep your account on it , nothing else .

I'm waiting for the inevitable rush to trade in the new 256MB memory cards before I get one .
That being said a 64MB will be plenty for your profile .

[quote name='Slate']It says in the transfer kit manual that I will not be able to swap files from the 20 gig HDD to the 120 gig HDD if I transfer the files. Does this mean that I cannot transfer files with memory cards?

And once again, Please do not link me to xbox.com, I want to hear this from someone who has tried it! :)[/quote]

Repeat.

[quote name='Slate']Repeat.[/quote]Could you explain what you mean by swapping files?

You transfer the files from the 20GB to the 120GB, leaving your 20GB empty. You can then use a memory card and move game saves between the 120GB and 20GB if you have two places you want to play games.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Could you explain what you mean by swapping files?

You transfer the files from the 20GB to the 120GB, leaving your 20GB empty. You can then use a memory card and move game saves between the 120GB and 20GB if you have two places you want to play games.[/QUOTE]

Also you only need to transfer profiles and saves .
You can go to download history and re-download anything when you're signed in on the 360 you want the content on .

Great thread, I'm finally going to pick up at 360 soon. After, evaluating whether to get a PS3 or 360, it just seems like the 360 would provide more entertainment. I also find it funny how Sony mocked 360's sku's and now the PS3 sku's are way more confusing than the 360.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Could you explain what you mean by swapping files?

You transfer the files from the 20GB to the 120GB, leaving your 20GB empty. You can then use a memory card and move game saves between the 120GB and 20GB if you have two places you want to play games.[/quote]

All i'm asking is will it allow me to take a file from the 20 gig or 120 gig drive, Put it on a memory card and then put it on the opposite drive?

[quote name='Richlough']Also you only need to transfer profiles and saves .
You can go to download history and re-download anything when you're signed in on the 360 you want the content on .[/quote]

I might just buy a memory card and swap everything then...

I have a problem with my Arcade and maybe someone here can help.

I really wanna just use the HDMI port but whenever I connect my HDMI cable to the 360 and TV, well, it just doesn't work. A little reminder pops up at the bottom of the TV that says 'Invalid Format' when clearly its not. Is there a way I have to set the Display Settings before connecting the HDMI cable? The cable works fine w/ my PS3 and cable box if that is any help.

I'm currently using a one month free trial on XBL and I just bought a 13 month sub card to extend the accout. If I use it does it start the 13 months or does it stack? I thought I remembered getting less time when trying to stack a while back, so I wanted to check before I added the code.

It just says December on the Xbox, so I'm not sure. I just dont want to lose the card, I'd rather just put it on there and toss it.

Just a note: 48 Hour Trials dont stack..I learned that the hard way.

[quote name='TFN']I have a problem with my Arcade and maybe someone here can help.

I really wanna just use the HDMI port but whenever I connect my HDMI cable to the 360 and TV, well, it just doesn't work. A little reminder pops up at the bottom of the TV that says 'Invalid Format' when clearly its not. Is there a way I have to set the Display Settings before connecting the HDMI cable? The cable works fine w/ my PS3 and cable box if that is any help.[/QUOTE]
What's the brand/model of the TV?

Repeat:

Originally Posted by SteveMcQ
Could you explain what you mean by swapping files?

You transfer the files from the 20GB to the 120GB, leaving your 20GB empty. You can then use a memory card and move game saves between the 120GB and 20GB if you have two places you want to play games.

All i'm asking is will it allow me to take a file from the 20 gig or 120 gig drive, Put it on a memory card and then put it on the opposite drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richlough
You can go to download history and re-download anything when you're signed in on the 360 you want the content on .

I might just buy a memory card and swap everything then...

[quote name='Slate']Repeat:

Originally Posted by SteveMcQ
Could you explain what you mean by swapping files?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richlough

I might just buy a memory card and swap everything then...[/quote]I'll try it again:

Why swap everything via memory card if you can get the transfer cable and do it all at the same time?

Also, if you plan on taking a file from the 20GB to a memory card and then the MC to the 120GB, you'll obviously have to do it prior to using the transfer kit as I stated, once you do the transfer using the kit from the 20GB>120GB, all information on the 20GB is wiped and moved to the 120GB.

But if you're just looking to make a copy of all the files on the 120GB onto the 20GB using a memory card, then yes you can do that.

I just got an Xbox 360 and an Xbox Live card but $100 for the wifi device is way too much. What are the alternative (and cheap) options that I can get wifi to the 360?

I heard about wireless bridges. Are there recommendations for which wireless bridge that has been proven to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back