XBOX360 General Questions - Setups/Hrdwr/Accessories/XBOX Live...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Ryukahn']They work great and I really enjoy my pair. However, you can't use these for any games that don't have in game audio options (Hello Halo 3) since the game audio and voice audio will overlap and you won't be able to understand anything.[/quote]

Thanks for the helpful info :applause:

the tv comes with hdmi cables(not sure what they are either) and i have the 3 prong cable for hd i belive, it came with the 360, the normal red white and yellow, and the other are diff colours. What about for ps3? or hd movies? i don't know much about it, but the TV i am lookin at buying does not have a hd tuner. But, i really don't know what a hd tuner is used for. Any help??

The only thing an HD tuner is needed is for getting over the air broadcast channels via an antenna.

HD cable/satellite boxes, HD-DVD, Blu-ray, PS3, 360 etc. don't use it. You just need to hook them up with component (the 360 cable you described) or HDMI and set them up to output in HD (720p or 1080p or 1080i) depending on your TV's native resolution.

what about regular cable? thats all i have here right now. No hd channels are available thru it. Will we stil be able to watch it all? untill i get the HD satellite? I don't want the cable in hd, i want the hd for my 360 and os3 and movies, untill i get the sat. But do i need the tuner to watch normal tv?

[quote name='cheapfitzguy']what about regular cable? thats all i have here right now. No hd channels are available thru it. Will we stil be able to watch it all? untill i get the HD satellite? I don't want the cable in hd, i want the hd for my 360 and os3 and movies, untill i get the sat. But do i need the tuner to watch normal tv?[/QUOTE]

You should be able to get the regular channels, as I assume the TV has a regular, standard definition tuner at least.

If you have a cable box (i.e. digital cable) then that won't matter. If you just hook up a cable from the wall directly to the TV. Then you need at least an SD tuner built in. But I believe most HDTVs have those even if they don't have built in HD tuners.

The ones that have no tuners at all are called monitors.

If you post the make and model of the TV you're looking at, we can give you more specific info.

this is what it says(i am new to hd, and don't really know nething about it)

Display Specifications
Viewable Screen Size 42'' Diagonal
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Native/Optimum Resolution 1366 x 768
Color Capability 16.7 Million colors

Connectors
QTY TYPE FORMATS SUPPORTED

1 HDMI + L/R Audio 480p, 720p

1 VGA/D-Sub/RGB + Audio mini jack 480i/p, 720p

2 YPbPr Component Video+ L/R Audio 480i/p, 720p

2 Video/S-Video + L/R Audio 480i

1 DVI-D 480p, 720p
1 L/R Audio out, Switched, Variable Volume

Compatible Modes

NTSC 480i
HDTV 480p, 720p
PC VGA, SVGA, XGA, WXGA

Picture

Contrast Ratio 1600:1
Brightness 500 cd/m2
Color Gamut 75% NTSC
Lamp Life 60,000 Hrs
Viewing Angle 178° Horizontal/Vertical
Response Time 8 ms

Video Processing

Progressive Scan
Aspect Ratio Conversion
Digital 3D De-Interlacing and Video Processing
3D Noise Reduction

Inverse 3:2 Pulldown
3D Video Processing
3D Comb Filter

Dimensions and Weight

41.9'' x 29.2'' x 8.9'' (with Base)
62.8 lbs (with Base)
41.9'' x 27.1'' x 4.8''(w/o Base)
58.4 lbs (w/o Base)
46.0'' x 33.0'' x 11.5'' (carton dimensions)
73 lbs (carton weight)

Audio

2-15 watt speakers
Cabinet Color
Black

Installation Options

8 Hole Pattern
75mm x 75mm VESA® Pattern
100mm x 100mm VESA® Pattern wall mounts

Warranty

Westinghouse Digital Electronics warrants their LCD TVs against defects in materials or workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the original date of purchase.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Overview
Energize your home theater with this vivid 42'' HD TV Display. (Requires HD tuner)
Upgrade your home theater with the stunning new Westinghouse 42'' HD TV Display. This HD TV Display comes with 720p resolution, includes 5 HD inputs, including HDMI™ Technology, and DayBright™ panel that offers stunning daytime or nighttime viewing (better than plasma). This stylish HD TV Display is an ideal fit for any home theater system that includes a cable or satellite box (HD monitor does not include an integrated tuner) and features our innovative SpineDesign™ so access all of your favorite game systems (Xbox 360, PS3), media PC’s and DVD/HD DVD players is a breeze. The unit also comes supplied with a remote control.

it is a westinghouse digital W4207 42" HDTV display.

so, with that, would i need to buy a hd tuner? or would it all work okay with just your run of the mill cable. No cable or sat box or nething.

Googled it.

It has an Analog tuner, so it's good to go with basic, run of the mill cable.

Movies and games will be fine. Just hook them up with component or hdmi and set those to output in 16x9 widescreen at 720p in their menu's and you'll be all set.

awesome! thanks alot for the help So it will be all good for my 360 and ps3 in hi def, just with the cables. And it will be fine for the hddvd player for the 360, with the right cables.

what about hooking up a normal dvd player to it? it will still play everything fine i would assume. Same with the surround sound.

Yep, normal DVD will be fine. It won't look as good since it will just be 480i. You're probably better off using the 360 HD-DVD player for regular DVDs as it will scale them up to 720p.

Surround sound would get hooked up to your receiver just as you do now, nothing to do with your TV.

But the TV does have built in speakers if you just use TV sound (but that's not surround sound, just plain 2 channel stereo).

ok, thanks alot for the help man. Sorry for all the noob questions, lol. I just wanted to be sure of it all before i bought it. I will have to buy a hd dvd player for my 360. And some hd dvds and blue rays. Thanks a million man!

anything else i should know? before buying

I'd caution you on the HD-DVD add on if you don't already have it.

HD-DVD is pretty much dead. Only a couple studies are still HD-DVD exclusive, Netflix announced today that they are phasing out HD-DVD etc.

If you're not already invested in HD-DVD, I wouldn't bother and just stick with Blu Ray as it has won the format war.

And to be clear, I own neither so I'm not some fanboy trying to sway you to my side. :D Those are just the facts.

[quote name='cheapfitzguy']ohh...can normal dvd's be played on blue ray? cuz the ps3 has blue ray, and i don't really know as i have never used it, lol.[/QUOTE]

Yes, PS3 and all Blu Ray players will play and upconvert regular DVDs.

Can someone give me some help on installing the HD DVD Player on the PC? I tried going the PowerDVD method and plug-n-play, which I read should work perfectly (no drivers required). It doesn't seem to work, and I can't boot up past my POST Screen with the drive connected. It boots up fine after I disconnect it, however.

How did you guys connect it to your PC?

[quote name='invinceable104']Can someone give me some help on installing the HD DVD Player on the PC? I tried going the PowerDVD method and plug-n-play, which I read should work perfectly (no drivers required). It doesn't seem to work, and I can't boot up past my POST Screen with the drive connected. It boots up fine after I disconnect it, however.

How did you guys connect it to your PC?[/QUOTE]

You don't have your BOOT sequence to include network or USB drives, do you?

I know people ask this all the time about 12 month cards, but will an unused two month trial from an original XBox game work for a current 360 Live account? It says it expired on 3/31/05.

I want to try that Turok demo out and I get the "you can't download content with this rating", so what do I do? I already changed my windows live id.

I've tried those, but I have to wait a week to dl the demos/content. I'm 15 right now, & the system still thinks I'm like 10 when I created my first email address.

Um, well at 15 years of age you aren't supposed to be able to download M rated games. Besides you don't want anything to do with that horrible Turok demo.

If you want to download them, ask your mom to change your account.

[quote name='DisturbedZen']So wait, you are cheating the CAG system to give trader feedback? That doesn't sound too good...[/QUOTE]
Yeah, please don't do that.

[quote name='DisturbedZen']So wait, you are cheating the CAG system to give trader feedback? That doesn't sound too good...[/quote]

2nd this.

I would recommend changing the title OP - as this will not go well with the moderators.

[quote name='SNKMat']I've tried those, but I have to wait a week to dl the demos/content. I'm 15 right now, & the system still thinks I'm like 10 when I created my first email address.[/quote]
Ahhh, the system works. Good job MS.

[quote name='Kevlar281']Ahhh, the system works. Good job MS.[/quote]

No, it doesn't. My other account, which has my age as 16, won't let me download any T demos either. All the parental controls are off to. So please, explain how the system works? You can download them with another account, and still play them on the underage account...

[quote name='Kevlar281']Ahhh, the system works. Good job MS.[/QUOTE]
:lol: Thats pretty funny, but I'm not gonna act like I didn't click those "Yes, I Am 18" buttons on certain websites before I turned 18.

[quote name='SNKMat']I want to try that Turok demo out and I get the "you can't download content with this rating", so what do I do? I already changed my windows live id.[/quote]

Ask your parent(s)/legal guardian. Maybe they would be willing to let you try it provided they know about it and think you are mature enough.

[quote name='SNKMat']people give f/b for freakin 48 hour cards. I can't give f/b for being helpful?[/quote]

No because then you can have someone pretend to be nice for a long time, gett fake feedback and scam us all.

Also, why wouldn't you have lied about your age when signing up? Let me guess, on GameTrailers.com you put your actual birthdate to watch videos? I just pick the fastest option to make me over 18.

[quote name='help1']No because then you can have someone pretend to be nice for a long time, gett fake feedback and scam us all.

Also, why wouldn't you have lied about your age when signing up? Let me guess, on GameTrailers.com you put your actual birthdate to watch videos? I just pick the fastest option to make me over 18.[/quote]

Yea... glad I don't have to do that, I can actually put in my real birthday. Booyah!:lol:

[quote name='guynextshore']2nd this.

I would recommend changing the title OP - as this will not go well with the moderators.[/quote]

I was just going to say...

As for Turok, reading the reviews should suffice. You really are not missing out on anything, unless you're a freak for dinosaurs, or have not played the original N64 contribution.

Hey, I had to work my ass off to turn 18 and play my M-Rated games (I'm 22 now). I'm not about to let some snot-nosed punk come in here and just get those games without YEARS OF HARD WORK.

Back in my day we had to walk 15 MILES in the snow to play General Custer's Revenge, and when we finally made it, that damn pimply son of a bitch arcade manager, all up on his high horse, was all like "you're too young to play Custer's Revenge", and showed us the door.

Yeah? Well I went back, all 18 and shit, and that uneducated mofo was still working there, and I showed up my ID, walked to the back, and I played Custer's Revenge, I had my day in the sun, and I got the high score.

Oh, and I banged his mom, but that's a tale for another day.

~HotShotX

[quote name='HotShotX']Hey, I had to work my ass off to turn 18 and play my M-Rated games (I'm 22 now). I'm not about to let some snot-nosed punk come in here and just get those games without YEARS OF HARD WORK.

Back in my day we had to walk 15 MILES in the snow to play General Custer's Revenge, and when we finally made it, that damn pimply son of a bitch arcade manager, all up on his high horse, was all like "you're too young to play Custer's Revenge", and showed us the door.

Yeah? Well I went back, all 18 and shit, and that uneducated mofo was still working there, and I showed up my ID, walked to the back, and I played Custer's Revenge, I had my day in the sun, and I got the high score.

Oh, and I banged his mom, but that's a tale for another day.

~HotShotX[/quote]

Simply beautiful...

Now about that mom ;)

[quote name='SNKMat']wow dude you dudes are a bunch of fags.[/QUOTE]

no ur a fag, fag. :imwithst::imwithst::imwithst::imwithst::imwithst:

OP, just change the thread title so people stop bitching. Thanks. Tbh, I'm tired of seeing this thread at the top. The first like 3 posts were informative.

I don't plan on buying any arcade games or DLC for a while after I buy my 360 and I don't have that much money and I'd rather put that additional $100 that could be going towards a Pro go towards a couple of games instead.

I'll probably eventually buy an HDD but will the memory card last me with just saves for about 6-8 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back