XBOX360 General Questions - Setups/Hrdwr/Accessories/XBOX Live...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an audio question. I had my 360 hooked up to a standard def tv for a while with a digital audio cable going to surround sound and everything was fine. I just bought an HDTV and I plugged my HD component cables to the tv, minus the red and white audio ones because of the digital audio going to my surround sound.

I turned on my xbox and everything was fine, but I realized I had the cables switched to tv still. So I switched it to HDTV and now my sound won't work. I tried everything I can think of and I'm out of ideas. Anyone have any suggestions or run into similar problems?

I use a Buffalo G54 Router running the DD WRT firmware so it can be used as a wireless bridge. From my experience, you can find routers that can be upgraded to the DD WRT firmware for a lot cheaper than a stand alone access point and they have a lot more options. Only downside is the the setup might take a bit longer.

Check out the DD WRT Page for more info: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

No. That is for your PC, it sends your internet signal from your PC to your Wii or DS (which are already wi-fi enabled, unlike the 360).

I'd recommend avoiding D-Link. My bridge died after a couple years of use. And even while I had it I was hardly thrilled with how it functioned.

Right now I'm working off a stable wired connection and I don't particularly want to move.

Do you have a laptop with wireless? Because you can bridge the connections between your ethernet jack and wifi, that's what I do anyways.

No laptop with wireless for me.

I might go with the original Xbox wireless adapter or a Buffallo router if my Circuit City still has one.

[quote name='wwfward']No laptop with wireless for me.

I might go with the original Xbox wireless adapter or a Buffallo router if my Circuit City still has one.[/QUOTE]

If you can find an Original Xbox wireless adapter for $30, I would go with that.

I believe I bought my adapter at Fry's for $35 or so. I'm using the Gamerlounge D-Link adapter, and with a $0.35 12" CAT-5 cable, it works just fine.

[quote name='tokitoki50']Do you have a laptop with wireless? Because you can bridge the connections between your ethernet jack and wifi, that's what I do anyways.[/QUOTE]

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but, how does this work? okay, cable from the 360 to the laptop, get online with the laptop......but, then what? Do you have to do anything for the 360 to recognize that it's online?

[quote name='yummytyson']Is there any way to transfer songs onto my 360 instead of connecting it to my PC? And can I play the songs while playing my games?[/quote]

1.Yes, you can rip a CD and select the songs you want to add to the 360.

2. Yes, The majority of 360 game have this feature.

Another question: For the Buffallo router, do I just set it up as an access point and configure or do I have to download extra software to make the 360 recognize it?

[quote name='slavefive']Sorry if this is a dumb question, but, how does this work? okay, cable from the 360 to the laptop, get online with the laptop......but, then what? Do you have to do anything for the 360 to recognize that it's online?[/quote]
One must go to the network connection settings and activate internet connection sharing.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I'll try it again:

Why swap everything via memory card if you can get the transfer cable and do it all at the same time?

Also, if you plan on taking a file from the 20GB to a memory card and then the MC to the 120GB, you'll obviously have to do it prior to using the transfer kit as I stated, once you do the transfer using the kit from the 20GB>120GB, all information on the 20GB is wiped and moved to the 120GB.

But if you're just looking to make a copy of all the files on the 120GB onto the 20GB using a memory card, then yes you can do that.[/quote]

Well I thought of doing it this way because once you transfer everything you cannot play XBLA Games offline and i'd like to keep doing that, At least on one of the systems and I do not need all of the files that I created, I can recopy the music (Yeah, right, like 50 CDs) And redownload the demos (Uh huh, 5 gigabytes worth)

By the way, How does the Account Recovery process work? If I recover my account what will happen to my account on the other system?

[quote name='slavefive']Sorry if this is a dumb question, but, how does this work? okay, cable from the 360 to the laptop, get online with the laptop......but, then what? Do you have to do anything for the 360 to recognize that it's online?[/QUOTE]

It's not a dumb question if you don't know the answer =P

It's actually really simple though. What you do is connect to the internet via internal wifi or minicard from your laptop and connect your 360 to the laptop via ethernet ports.

Then you need to find the tab "My Network Places" in "My Computer" and right click and go to Properties. You should be able to see both your wireless and wired connections. Highlight them both, right click and select "Bridge connections." And Presto, your laptop is now a big, overally complicated wireless adapter for your xbox360.

My PC is connected through wireless and is right through my xbox, so I just connect them together and share the connection.

[quote name='Slate']Well I thought of doing it this way because once you transfer everything you cannot play XBLA Games offline and i'd like to keep doing that, At least on one of the systems and I do not need all of the files that I created, I can recopy the music (Yeah, right, like 50 CDs) And redownload the demos (Uh huh, 5 gigabytes worth)

By the way, How does the Account Recovery process work? If I recover my account what will happen to my account on the other system?[/quote]You could redownload all the Arcade games back onto your old system once you do account recovery. It should still play fine offline since it is the same hardware.

I haven't personal tried out account recovery (I'll try it tomorrow), but I'm quite certain it has no effect on your account on the other system. Of course, you can't be signed into both at the same time. It's effectively like having the same user profile on two different PCs.

[quote name='tokitoki50']It's not a dumb question if you don't know the answer =P

It's actually really simple though. What you do is connect to the internet via internal wifi or minicard from your laptop and connect your 360 to the laptop via ethernet ports.

Then you need to find the tab "My Network Places" in "My Computer" and right click and go to Properties. You should be able to see both your wireless and wired connections. Highlight them both, right click and select "Bridge connections." And Presto, your laptop is now a big, overally complicated wireless adapter for your xbox360.[/QUOTE]

Easy enough! I know exactly what you're talking about.....Xbox Live...here I come!! :) Thanks a million!

[quote name='PhantomaZero']My PC is connected through wireless and is right through my xbox, so I just connect them together and share the connection.[/quote]

My pc is like that.. So I can do with my PC what they said to do with the laptops? :drool:

[quote name='Toejam Football']My pc is like that.. So I can do with my PC what they said to do with the laptops? :drool:[/QUOTE]

So long as you have a wireless connection and an ethernet connection yeah. It should work the same.

[quote name='Toejam Football']My pc is like that.. So I can do with my PC what they said to do with the laptops? :drool:[/quote]
Yup, I actually connect via a wireless desktop myself.

[quote name='KiLL3r']1.Yes, you can rip a CD and select the songs you want to add to the 360.

2. Yes, The majority of 360 game have this feature.[/quote]

Does the CD have to be an audio CD or can it be a data cd with many songs? and is there a tutorial?

[quote name='yummytyson']Does the CD have to be an audio CD or can it be a data cd with many songs? and is there a tutorial?[/QUOTE]
Off the top of my head - you may be able to play MP3s off a data disc (since you can stream them from your PC or a USB drive), but you can't transfer them to the hard drive. The only way to get songs on the hard drive is to rip them.

[quote name='tokitoki50']Glad to help, it's working really well until I run some ethernet cables through my house[/QUOTE]

Okay...another question....where can one pick up about 60 to 80 feet of ethernet cable? I've looked online and can't seem to find a reliable source for this. Online? B&M's?

I'm still considering a hard line, but have to run it from the 2nd floor (where the PC is) down to the basement, then up to the 1st floor, where the 360 is.

Thanks again, bro! I'm gonna start going wifi with the laptop, but i'll probably order the 100 ft line. I didn't realize its that cheap.

Hey guys,

I recently purchased an Xbox Arcade console. The main reason I made this purchase was for HDMI support. I had previously owned an xbox premium system complete with 20 gb hard drive. When I put my hard drive into the Xbox Arcade Console I noticed that my gamer profile didn't automatically load with the system (or at start up). The Console told me that it found one gamer profile on the HDD. I selected it and my profile loaded. At this point I noticed that all my downloaded videos and themes would not work. The themes were located on the hard drive but, they would not show up in the system window. Oddly, the game demos worked fine as did my saved games. I then connected my console to xbox live and suddenly all my downloaded themes and videos worked again. My console has never been solidly connected to xbox live as I don't generally game online. I then shut down the console and removed the internet connection. When I restarted the system, I was signed out and all my themes and videos didn't work again. After re-connecting the modem and starting xbox live everything seemed to work normally again (or as I was used to on my old premium console). After disconnecting from the internet once more and re-starting the console, I once again didn't have access to the videos or themes. This is quite upsetting as my system is generally not connected to xbox live. What do I have to do make everything function normally again? Is there a known issue that occurs when one removes their premium HDD and uses it on a new Arcade system? Any information you can give me would help. I e-mailed Xbox customer support and the only answer they would give me is that the problems I am experiencing are by design. When I asked what I could do to fix it they didn't respond. I would like to use my themes and be signed in without having to manually sign into my profile and then sign into live for the material on my hard drive to become unlocked.

For all of your XBLA games (which should function simply as demos, right?), just delete them and redownload them (for free, as long as you're on the gamertag that DL'd them in the first place). I did it yesterday to allow my girlfriend to play a few XBLA games that I'd downloaded on my old console and switch them from demo to full version.

[quote name='JJSP']For all of your XBLA games (which should function simply as demos, right?), just delete them and redownload them (for free, as long as you're on the gamertag that DL'd them in the first place). I did it yesterday to allow my girlfriend to play a few XBLA games that I'd downloaded on my old console and switch them from demo to full version.[/quote]But they'll only be the full version as long as you're connected to Live.

I bought an HDTV yesterday from Best Buy, its a Philips 32" 720p. It received good reviews all over minus the sound from the tv. I hooked up my 360 and HD DVD player to the tv and set it to 720p.

I seem to be having a problem with the picture. When I play Mass Effect, the walls are a dark color in the cities. For some reason in the color of the walls, say black, it looks like there is static or fuzz dancing in the color. Everything look clear, but this is happening. Also, I watched Pitch Black on HD DVD and the same thing happened, there was static or fuzz dancing around in the darker colors. My 360 is one of the ones with component HD cables, could it be that the component cables are giviing a not so hot picture and I need an HDMI input or is it my tv? I just want to get some opinions before I go through the process of returning it. Thanks in advance.

[quote name='Xbox.com']http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/personality/elle/20060814-shoptilyoudrop.htm

Usage Restrictions
So, you've got your content, but one day, you take it to another console, and you notice it seems to work differently than it did before. There's a reason for that, and it's related to licensing and usage restrictions.

When you download content from Xbox Live Marketplace, that content is licensed to the console you downloaded it to and the profile you downloaded it with. The console license allows anyone to use that content on that console, online or off. The profile license allows you to use the content on any console, as long as you're signed in to Xbox Live (the reason you have to be signed in to Xbox Live is that your profile has to be validated with the service).

For example, if you try to play your new Xbox Live Arcade game offline on a different console, you may find that it only plays in demo mode. This is because the console is not the console to which the game is licensed, and your profile can't be validated until you sign in. To play the full version on this other console, you have to sign in to Xbox Live.[/quote]

This is also spelled out in the License Agreement that is displayed every time you download something from marketplace.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']You could redownload all the Arcade games back onto your old system once you do account recovery. It should still play fine offline since it is the same hardware.

I haven't personal tried out account recovery (I'll try it tomorrow), but I'm quite certain it has no effect on your account on the other system. Of course, you can't be signed into both at the same time. It's effectively like having the same user profile on two different PCs.[/quote]

Once I recover the profile on one system I don't think I'll take my other 360 online.

I got the D-Link Gaming Adapter at Fry's for $49.99 --- $10 bucks more than what I expected. I'll go look on ebay if the original Xbox adapter is cheaper.

[quote name='JJSP']For all of your XBLA games (which should function simply as demos, right?), just delete them and redownload them (for free, as long as you're on the gamertag that DL'd them in the first place). I did it yesterday to allow my girlfriend to play a few XBLA games that I'd downloaded on my old console and switch them from demo to full version.[/quote]

I tried re-downloading everything after I deleted the content that wasn't working on the hard drive. All the content I re-downloaded still has the same issues. Very upsetting but, I guess the content is tagged to the serial of the console.

[quote name='halopwn3r']if you dont buy the 2 year warranty, if u get red ring, will they still fix it? or not cuas ei didnt get the warranty[/quote]

I think the warantee is 3 years for red rings, one year for everything else. Just call the support number and they should help you.

T

[quote name='halopwn3r']wait so if you dont buy the warranty, they wont fix it for you -__-[/QUOTE]
no, the warranty is from MS

i just got a 360, but cannot open it till christmas. in the meantime i bought cheap games and ordered a controller from mslive. i checked the birthdate and its 8-25-2007, and it says hdmi out on the box, thats falcon correct? and falcon is the coolest the make so far correct?

I tried the laptop-bridge technique, but ran into some problems. I'm still considering going hard line. But, I can get an original xbox wireless g adapter pretty cheap.

Can anyone 100% confirm that it works with teh 360? If so, any drawbacks?

Yeah, I read the original xbox wireless (and D-Link gaming adapter) adapter works with WEP but not with WPA encryption standards.

How do you found out what encryption standard your router has? I have a Buffallo wireless g mimo performance router.

No...just create an account on the Xbox system itself (no card required), you can do this up to at least 4 to 5 times using a different account (Wouldn't reccomend it alot as it can screw around with your saved items)

Just create a Gmail or Hotmail account on the Xbox system and activate it and Viola! free shit.

Now that ive answered your question, i demand beer!...preferably Modelo Negro

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back