XBOX360 General Questions - Setups/Hrdwr/Accessories/XBOX Live...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I got my 360 all cranked up and am playing some Lost Planet demo and engaged in team combat scenario.

Question, when the game is started on XBL and is a team combat mission, when you talk on these games can the other team hear your communication?

In other words is all communication common and shared, or in team games are the only people hearing your comment/strategy your teammates?

I know that on free-for-all games its shared.

Appreciate any answer to this obviously stupid newbie question. Thanks in advance.

The only 360 game that I know of where the opposite team can hear you is Halo 3, and that is only for people close to your character.

CoD4 has a perk that lets you listen into other teams communication as well. But you have to unlock it and equip it.

Fairly useless though since so few teams actually talk strategy.

[quote name='Slate']The only 360 game that I know of where the opposite team can hear you is Halo 3, and that is only for people close to your character.[/quote]

And thats only in Social Matches in Ranked its free commuincation on team anywhere, with out anyone hearing you.

A follow up question to my last vga related one:

I was playing around with the resolution in the display option on the dashboard. I picked a resolution that wasn't good with my tv, and i waited 10 seconds it did not go back the previous resolution.

anyway i can fix this or do i have to blindly do it? ie, erase the cache?

So, I just got a 12 month live card from Amazon. Their picture shows the old 12+1 month version, but I got a 12 month games for windows/xbox 360 card.

Is this really just 12 months? I guess I shouldn't complain as it was $5 cheaper than anywhere else online, but I'd still like to get my extra month free.

[quote name='dmaul1114']CoD4 has a perk that lets you listen into other teams communication as well. But you have to unlock it and equip it.

Fairly useless though since so few teams actually talk strategy.[/QUOTE]
The range is fairly limited too.

Dammit. My router will allow only one IP for port forwarding and we have two Xbox 360 consoles. I tried putting my 360 outside the DMZ and it still says "strict nat" and I can't play on LIVE. We bought this router because it has crazy distance and the house is so big, so I don't want to replace it. Anyone have any suggestions?

[quote name='valor19']Dammit. My router will allow only one IP for port forwarding and we have two Xbox 360 consoles. I tried putting my 360 outside the DMZ and it still says "strict nat" and I can't play on LIVE. We bought this router because it has crazy distance and the house is so big, so I don't want to replace it. Anyone have any suggestions?[/quote]
So are you using both consoles at the same time?

[quote name='Littlefields']So are you using both consoles at the same time?[/QUOTE]

Yes, one belongs to my roommate and we like to play COD4 and such.

My Guitar Hero 2 disk won't read anymore. When I put it in, the 360 comes up with a message such that says something like "Please put disk into Xbox 360 console." No other problems with any other games, but the disk does have a small crack starting from the inner circle and some scratches on the disk....

Is the disk unsalvagable?

I had the same error come up when I put in "Gears of War" because it is so scratched up. Eventually, after cleaning the disc it will play but it takes 2 or 3 times. Of course, those are scratches and not a crack. If you tried it multiple times and it still does not read, the disc is probably done for.

I have a $50 Amazon certificate and the connector on my wired headset is sort of busted, so I think I'm finally going to invest in a wireless headset. I have never used one of them, though (I've actually never even seen one in person other than in the package), so I have a few questions that are probably very stupid:

-Is there something that connects to the controller itself, or do you just sync it to the console like with a wireless controller? If something does connect to the controller, is it any more/less obtrusive than the connector for the wired headset, or about the same (other than the wire itself of course)?

-How does muting work? Is the switch on the actual headset or is it elsewhere? Is it still a slider like the wired headset's mute, or is it a button or something different?

-Is the quality any better or worse than on the wired headset, or is the only advantage being able to move around freely?

-Some Amazon reviews mentioned "improvements" in the Halo 3 headset. While I'm not a huge Halo fan, the branding/color certainly wouldn't bother me, so is there any advantage to getting the Halo 3 headset over the regular white one? It's $13 more expensive on Amazon - is that for any reason other than the brand?

-I've read conflicting reports of how the thing charges. Is it an AC adapter, or does it charge via USB? Either way, if it dies/is dying while you're talking, is the cord it uses to charge long enough that in a worst case scenario you can continue to use it while it charges, or is that not possible?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

I'll answer what I can.

It syncs like a wireless controller does, no dongle or connector.

I have the Halo version and it charges via USB, but the second you plug it in it turns off so you can't use it while charging.

There's a mute button on the headset.

The quality sounds fine to me, but my friends complain of my voice sounding different, like mine has different EQ settings.

That's about all I got.

-Is there something that connects to the controller itself, or do you just sync it to the console like with a wireless controller? If something does connect to the controller, is it any more/less obtrusive than the connector for the wired headset, or about the same (other than the wire itself of course)?
You just sync it like the wireless controller. You can actually use the wireless headset without having the controller on. You also get a battery-life gauge on your dashboard like your wireless controller.

-How does muting work? Is the switch on the actual headset or is it elsewhere? Is it still a slider like the wired headset's mute, or is it a button or something different?
You tap the power button, and hold the power button to turn it on and off. It will beep every 30 seconds to let you know it's muted.

-Is the quality any better or worse than on the wired headset, or is the only advantage being able to move around freely?
The quality is a lot better on the wireless headset (in my opinion). The only downside I've had so far is people complaining that I sound like I'm underwater (ask zewone/jimmiemac since they always bitch at me about it). I've heard other people who have it on and I think it sounds fine, but there is a definitely a difference between the wired/wireless headset. And you have to position it in a certain way to have it pick up your normal talking voice.

-Some Amazon reviews mentioned "improvements" in the Halo 3 headset. While I'm not a huge Halo fan, the branding/color certainly wouldn't bother me, so is there any advantage to getting the Halo 3 headset over the regular white one? It's $13 more expensive on Amazon - is that for any reason other than the brand?
I'm not sure what the improvements were, but I got the halo3 one and I can tell the difference from when someone is using the Halo3 one and the old AC wall adapter headset. I'm not sure about the white USB one though.

-I've read conflicting reports of how the thing charges. Is it an AC adapter, or does it charge via USB? Either way, if it dies/is dying while you're talking, is the cord it uses to charge long enough that in a worst case scenario you can continue to use it while it charges, or is that not possible?
The AC Adapter ones are the "older" versions. The "newer" ones are the USB ones. It says it lasts up to 8 hours fully charged, but it's around 6-7 hours from what I've experienced.

The "old" AC Adapter white headsets have the UPC code "B4E-00004" and the "new" USB Adapter are "B4E-00024", and the Halo3 (USB) is B4E-00038"

Dumb question (since I'm too lazy to look).

My roomie went and got a Pro last night (with hdmi port) and it's the post holiday bundle version (meaning no Froza/MUA 2pack). Did registration last night after taking an hour to figure out what he wanted his gamertag to be, and it said the warranty was only good until 3/2/2009 (thought that was a lil weird). And, his gamertag is only a silver membership. when did M$ get rid of the "get a month of gold for free" thing?

[quote name='ryoga79']Dumb question (since I'm too lazy to look).

My roomie went and got a Pro last night (with hdmi port) and it's the post holiday bundle version (meaning no Froza/MUA 2pack). Did registration last night after taking an hour to figure out what he wanted his gamertag to be, and it said the warranty was only good until 3/2/2009 (thought that was a lil weird). And, his gamertag is only a silver membership. when did M$ get rid of the "get a month of gold for free" thing?[/quote]

They didn't. He has to make his account on the console itself and not on the website. Otherwise, you don't get the free membership.

[quote name='ryoga79']Dumb question (since I'm too lazy to look).

My roomie went and got a Pro last night (with hdmi port) and it's the post holiday bundle version (meaning no Froza/MUA 2pack). Did registration last night after taking an hour to figure out what he wanted his gamertag to be, and it said the warranty was only good until 3/2/2009 (thought that was a lil weird). And, his gamertag is only a silver membership. when did M$ get rid of the "get a month of gold for free" thing?[/quote]

The "all-inclusive" warranty is still only 1 year. Only RROD is covered for the full 3 years, so yes, that is correct.

[quote name='Littlefields']They didn't. He has to make his account on the console itself and not on the website. Otherwise, you don't get the free membership.[/QUOTE]

Oh GODS FRAKKIN DAMMIT!!! I basically screwed him out of his free month....

[quote name='ryoga79']Oh GODS FRAKKIN DAMMIT!!! I basically screwed him out of his free month....[/quote]

He could always make another account...unless he really likes the gamertag he chose.

I have the White USB one, and I really like it. Batt last a decent amount of time, its plenty loud, its light weight, feel decent on the ear... But the best part, NO FREAKING WIRES any more. Evyerone that comes to play place and I play with it all say its awesome and they want to get one (but never seem to want to spend the money on it). It is expensive, but its worth it honestly. Most everyone says I sound the same, or atleast close enough.

I say get it ASAP

yea, he's happy with the one he's got. His gf (my other roomie) made her account on the system itself, and is playing with her free gold month now. Another buddy of mine said he might have a 1month free card laying around, so it might be all good. worse comes to worse, he play on his gf's handle or I just buy him a free month.

I don't know why I spaced out on that last night.

I can't even imagine going back to a wired headset.

I have the original white one (from the first week they came out) and a Halo one. The Halo headset works MUCH better. It has the improved electronics. I don't know if the recent white ones have been improved as well. I imagine they have been, but you might want to do some research before you buy a white one, if you don't want a Halo one.

I'm trying to create a Japanese Xbox Live account (heard there was some exclusive content). and yea, I read the guide on http://www.gamersreports.com/article/19/ and it seems to be outdated. It says I have to enter in a address, and I don't know what to put in. I tried putting in 2 different addresses and they didn't work. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

Microsoft Company, Limited
Odakyu Southern Tower
2-1, Yoyogi 2-Chome
Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 151-8583
JAPAN

Phone: 81-3-4332-5300

That is Microsofts address in Japan. Try that. Or you could have used the info that site gave you. Also, I made mine on Xbox.com and it worked fine.

Fwiw, some stuff is now restricted by IP address, regardless of the region of your account.
I believe the Operation Darkness demo falls under this restriction.

if anyone can tell me how to determine what kind of motherboard i have on my 360 that would be greatly appreciated. I got RROD last month and my refurb should be here in a few days. I had a launch console before, but it looks like im getting a system back that was made in 2006.

[quote name='BL00DW0LF']is this really worth doing? i've thought about doing it a few times, but i just never took the time[/quote]

As cheapy just stated, its not worth it anymore.

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']I can't even imagine going back to a wired headset.

I have the original white one (from the first week they came out) and a Halo one. The Halo headset works MUCH better. It has the improved electronics. I don't know if the recent white ones have been improved as well. I imagine they have been, but you might want to do some research before you buy a white one, if you don't want a Halo one.[/quote]

They did some modifications without notifying anyone about it. It really pissed me off to because I bought one when it first came out. It sucked so bad that I didn't even feel right about ebaying it because it was so crappy. I ended up trading it into EB for $17 cash.

[quote name='Khondor']I was thinking about picking up a wireless as well.
Anyone familiar with this model?
http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/efx2/home.aspx

??[/quote]
If I remember correctly, those are the same headphones wombat uses. I remember hearing him talk about it in Episode 105 of the CAGCAST, from what I recall, he said it emulates 5.1 surround sound. Maybe with these you can hear those claymores that you kept finding in tonights game. ;)

[quote name='Ragekod']If I remember correctly, those are the same headphones wombat uses. I remember hearing him talk about it in Episode 105 of the CAGCAST, from what I recall, he said it emulates 5.1 surround sound. Maybe with these you can hear those claymores that you kept finding in tonights game. ;)[/quote]

Hey,
It was only 2, and at least I didn't QUIT like someone we know
(I wont mention any names)
:lol:

[quote name='Khondor']I was thinking about picking up a wireless as well.
Anyone familiar with this model?
http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/efx2/home.aspx

??[/quote]

They work great and I really enjoy my pair. However, you can't use these for any games that don't have in game audio options (Hello Halo 3) since the game audio and voice audio will overlap and you won't be able to understand anything.

Great to hear all the positive feedback on this item, I think im gonna grip one up myself I always had mixed feelings on weither or not I was gonna get one thanks tho

Has anyone ever had any problems with the usb port in the front of the 360? My HD DVD Drive is not working right, eye cam, and rock band guitar are all not working. At first i thought it was my hd dvd player but now I am pretty sure it is the usb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back