Xenoblade Chronicles X Special Edition $89.99 - Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy

I had a gift card. The confirmation page showed it, but when I hit Submit, their system zeroed it out. Did anyone else have similar problems?

I had a gift card. The confirmation page showed it, but when I hit Submit, their system zeroed it out. Did anyone else have similar problems?
Same here. After some time had passed it showed up on the order details page with the correct amount, but for some reason it's still showing $71.99 + tax and not factoring in the gift card. Guess I'll wait a bit before calling CS to see what's up.

ok this is pissing me off... trying to order this now at BBY and it keeps telling me to 'please confirm my delivery options' when i click place order. What the hell? Anyone able to get an order in? Im going to be pissed if i miss this because the website wont let me order it. Im GCU and BBY elite member, none of my delivery options have changed, i dont get why it wont go through

ok this is pissing me off... trying to order this now at BBY and it keeps telling me to 'please confirm my delivery options' when i click place order. What the hell? Anyone able to get an order in? Im going to be pissed if i miss this because the website wont let me order it. Im GCU and BBY elite member, none of my delivery options have changed, i dont get why it wont go through
Worked for me. Just placed an order at 12:35AM

not for me and my delivery options are set for free expedited. Just tried adding a few other games to cart and it removed them and said they are 'not available' stuff like stella glow and project x zone 2.. pre orders that i know are available. Site is freaking out on me. This sucks I guess all i can do is try again later? Im on Chrome btw

I gotta wonder, is Best Buy making a profit with GCU? It seems too good to be true sometimes, especially the pricey collector's editions like this.
I wonder as well. Unless BB has an agreement that purchases with GCU get an additional discount or kickback from the game companies, they must be losing money or at least breaking even.

Without that support, I would have to imagine that the additional revenue generated from additional purchases by increasing sales from GCU customers must offset the loss and make it worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can. It is not that great of a CE - content wise. Kinda wish we got a steelbook or something. :(
Eh, it depends on what you value. Personally I don't care for steelbooks as I tend to like my game collection looking more uniform, but I like artbooks a lot so it was an easy choice for me.

I wonder as well. Unless BB has an agreement that purchases with GCU get an additional discount or kickback from the game companies, they must be losing money or at least breaking even.

Without that support, I would have to imagine that the additional revenue generated from additional purchases by increasing sales from GCU customers must offset the loss and make it worth it.
I think you underestimate the margins on new games. Typical retail markup is double wholesale.

Eh, it depends on what you value. Personally I don't care for steelbooks as I tend to like my game collection looking more uniform, but I like artbooks a lot so it was an easy choice for me.
I prefer more robust artbooks myself. If this was a bit bigger of a book I would be all over it.

This is basically $20 more for me to get LE/SE now that BB has it. 

It IS my most anticipated release. But now that the LE/SE isn't going to be rare, I'm thinking about just getting stock version. 

Ohhhhhhhhh decisions decisions. 

Yes, rarity is a factor in my purchases. This can easily be $40 in six months. 

This is basically $20 more for me to get LE/SE now that BB has it.

It IS my most anticipated release. But now that the LE/SE isn't going to be rare, I'm thinking about just getting stock version.

Ohhhhhhhhh decisions decisions.

Yes, rarity is a factor in my purchases. This can easily be $40 in six months.
Think about it this way, when was the last time a bigger name Nintendo regular version game even went on clearance, let alone a CE made by Nintendo. Yes looks like this won't be rare like the COD Juggernog edition, but I'm pretty much willing to bet anything this will never hit clearance down to $40. There's actually still a good chance these might sell out by the time release day rolls around. If not, it will likely stay at the $89.99 price until it sells out I'm guessing not long after release.

I gotta wonder, is Best Buy making a profit with GCU? It seems too good to be true sometimes, especially the pricey collector's editions like this.

I think that when you consider the way it brings in traffic for other stuff, they win out. Many who get GCU probably break even on the subscription, for starters. Then you throw in that they give you a discount on the games and a rewards cert, then they get you into the habit for buying from them. Then the convenience factor kicks in, and you go from buying your LIVE subs and accessories at GameStop or Target or Amazon, and you're now doing basically ALL of your gaming shopping at Best Buy, since you're already there (and competitor prices are basically the same).

GCU might be financially neutral on a basic level, since bigger titles are discounted $22 with GCU and a cert, but given they're now roping you in for so many other purchases, I'm sure it works out for them quite nicely. If it weren't going well, they would have canceled the program, or AT LEAST not cut the sub price by 75%, which they seem to have used as an excuse to murder good deals (when was the last B2G1 used sale, or the last time a near-launch game got a major discount, Advanced Warfare?).

Think about it this way, when was the last time a bigger name Nintendo regular version game even went on clearance, let alone a CE made by Nintendo. Yes looks like this won't be rare like the COD Juggernog edition, but I'm pretty much willing to bet anything this will never hit clearance down to $40. There's actually still a good chance these might sell out by the time release day rolls around. If not, it will likely stay at the $89.99 price until it sells out I'm guessing not long after release.
I agree. We barely get $10 off of year-old games like Smash and Kart. Nintendo's CEs don't tend to hang around forever, either. Maybe this will, but probably at the same price for several months, if not through to the NX launch. The last thing someone should do is bank on a discounted Nintendo game.

So bestbuy is clearly blocking collectors edition from being sold in stores now days. I wanna jump on this as I have GCU but I also don't feel like paying 96 bucks up front. Preordering online for a game blows unless it's amazon. GCU Is awesome but sometime I just prefer Amazon over BB for this reason.

So bestbuy is clearly blocking collectors edition from being sold in stores now days. I wanna jump on this as I have GCU but I also don't feel like paying 96 bucks up front. Preordering online for a game blows unless it's amazon. GCU Is awesome but sometime I just prefer Amazon over BB for this reason.
You won't be paying $96 up front, assuming you are using a credit card. There will be an initial pending charge on your credit card but that will go away. Your card will be charged when the item ships. If you are using a debit card I believe the money will come out of your account initially, then be put back in until time of shipment.

Also the amount should be $71.99 plus tax. Where are you getting the $96 amount from?

I think that when you consider the way it brings in traffic for other stuff, they win out. Many who get GCU probably break even on the subscription, for starters. Then you throw in that they give you a discount on the games and a rewards cert, then they get you into the habit for buying from them. Then the convenience factor kicks in, and you go from buying your LIVE subs and accessories at GameStop or Target or Amazon, and you're now doing basically ALL of your gaming shopping at Best Buy, since you're already there (and competitor prices are basically the same).

GCU might be financially neutral on a basic level, since bigger titles are discounted $22 with GCU and a cert, but given they're now roping you in for so many other purchases, I'm sure it works out for them quite nicely. If it weren't going well, they would have canceled the program, or AT LEAST not cut the sub price by 75%, which they seem to have used as an excuse to murder good deals (when was the last B2G1 used sale, or the last time a near-launch game got a major discount, Advanced Warfare?).
Right. For those suckers. They cant be making any money off of me =)

You won't be paying $96 up front, assuming you are using a credit card. There will be an initial pending charge on your credit card but that will go away. Your card will be charged when the item ships. If you are using a debit card I believe the money will come out of your account initially, then be put back in until time of shipment.

Also the amount should be $71.99 plus tax. Where are you getting the $96 amount from?
Sorry the $96 was a typo meant to say $76 or $74. So it's an Authorizing processing charged. Now if that debit you're refund for the full amount in a couple days and or credit except for what a dollar?

Sorry the $96 was a typo meant to say $76 or $74. So it's an Authorizing processing charged. Now if that debit you're refund for the full amount in a couple days and or credit except for what a dollar?
Basically what Pokechaos said. I don't use my debit card for purchases, but I believe the hold on funds from your checking account will go away in a few days until time of shipment. You just need to make sure you have enough in your account to cover the initial hold.

I had little interest in the game at first, but seeing everyone talk about this selling out at other places I jumped on the BB store and ordered it...but surprisingly it's still been in stock. I guess this wasn't such a big deal after all.

I had little interest in the game at first, but seeing everyone talk about this selling out at other places I jumped on the BB store and ordered it...but surprisingly it's still been in stock. I guess this wasn't such a big deal after all.
I'm surprised it's still in stock too, especially with how fast it sold out at Amazon. I guess either Amazon got a lot less allotted to them compared to Gamestop and Best Buy, or they were extremely conservative with how many they were putting up for sale. Expect a lot more to be available at amazon in the future as people cancel for that GCU discount.

Right. For those suckers. They cant be making any money off of me =)
I think you misunderstood part of my point. In many cases, the prices at different retailers are the same. Now, since we're already at Best Buy, we might as well make all purchases there, rather than waste gas and time and brain cells to deal with another retail employee. For example, I intend to buy the Halo Xbox One (maybe, I'm on the fence after the highly disappointing unboxing Major Nelson did). In the past, I probably would have just gone to GameStop because it was a bit closer, the store was smaller, and as a specialty store, I would expect them to get things straightened out more. Now, since I have GCU and a Best Buy account to get Rewards certs and points on , I might as well buy it at Best Buy, where it's the same price. Because of GCU (and their rewards program), they've added be as essentially a permanent gaming customer.

I'm not going to buy marked-up things at Best Buy like a moron, but with all other things' being equal (common in gaming, especially for launches), Best Buy's gotten my dollars for a lot of things. In that same vein, since it's my dad's account I let the rewards go to (his recent TV purchases have him on Elite Plus status, and I want that early BF access), he's got the GCU benefits for my little brothers, so now their gaming stuff comes from Best Buy, not GameStop.

Hmmmmm are cancelations common on bestbuy? I already have one at gamestop on order and I don't want to take any chances.

Hmmmmm are cancelations common on bestbuy? I already have one at gamestop on order and I don't want to take any chances.
I've been burned a few times over the years. I'm cautious enough that I won't cancel my Amazon pre order.

I like BB a lot and have spent a ton of money there over the last few years with GCU, but they fucked me over with my preorders for Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition, Zelda New 3DS console, and a Bravely Default CE.

Word to the wise: Never set a preorder for pickup in a store. I was out of town one weekend and set a preorder for pickup at somewhere other than my usual store. Some fool that worked at that store actually sold my pre-ordered copy to someone else ON THE DAY OF RELEASE. I went in to pick up my Bravely Default CE a couple of hours after receiving the email and they apologized and told me it was gone. No way to get another one. Grrrrrrrr.....

I think you misunderstood part of my point. In many cases, the prices at different retailers are the same. Now, since we're already at Best Buy, we might as well make all purchases there, rather than waste gas and time and brain cells to deal with another retail employee. For example, I intend to buy the Halo Xbox One (maybe, I'm on the fence after the highly disappointing unboxing Major Nelson did). In the past, I probably would have just gone to GameStop because it was a bit closer, the store was smaller, and as a specialty store, I would expect them to get things straightened out more. Now, since I have GCU and a Best Buy account to get Rewards certs and points on , I might as well buy it at Best Buy, where it's the same price. Because of GCU (and their rewards program), they've added be as essentially a permanent gaming customer.

I'm not going to buy marked-up things at Best Buy like a moron, but with all other things' being equal (common in gaming, especially for launches), Best Buy's gotten my dollars for a lot of things. In that same vein, since it's my dad's account I let the rewards go to (his recent TV purchases have him on Elite Plus status, and I want that early BF access), he's got the GCU benefits for my little brothers, so now their gaming stuff comes from Best Buy, not GameStop.
I didn't mistake any of it. You didn't understand my comment. I said you were right for people who shop like you do. However, your comment is no longer correct when applied to someone such as myself. My argument was about my purchasing habits. Your argument is about your purchasing habits. We clearly have different habits, which I stated and you ignored.

I don't pay MSRP for anything video game or electronic related and only pounce when there is a sale. Thus, stores don't have the same sale price unless I do a PM. My Best Buy is typically the worst of the local PM stores at doing a PM because they make up rules that don't exist (for example would only let me price match a Mario Amiibo because the print ad only showed a picture of a Mario Amiibo). So, I don't do all of my or even a majority of my electronics shopping at Best Buy and only take advantage of their video game sales that I combine with GCU. I do a fair amount of Amazon and Gamestop purchasing too because Amazon has better prices on cables, memory cards, etc. and GS usually has better used game sales, because their non-Nintendo used game prices are typically better, and the 10% off is the same at both stores.

Best Buy has received many more dollars from me this year than they did before I had GCU, but every one of my purchased items was discounted by GCU. I haven't purchased a single non-video game item there since I got GCU. They can't possibly be making much, if any, money off my purchases.

So, no, your argument doesn't apply to me, as my previous comment stated. I said you were correct for people who purchase as you stated you pruchase. I, however, do not purchase in the same fashion.

Yeah, never ever order pickup in store. I've had multiple times where i've gone to pick up a collector's edition from BB only to find out that they have put my copy, with the pick slip, on the shelf. lol.

I've been burned a few times over the years. I'm cautious enough that I won't cancel my Amazon pre order.

I like BB a lot and have spent a ton of money there over the last few years with GCU, but they fucked me over with my preorders for Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition, Zelda New 3DS console, and a Bravely Default CE.

Word to the wise: Never set a preorder for pickup in a store. I was out of town one weekend and set a preorder for pickup at somewhere other than my usual store. Some fool that worked at that store actually sold my pre-ordered copy to someone else ON THE DAY OF RELEASE. I went in to pick up my Bravely Default CE a couple of hours after receiving the email and they apologized and told me it was gone. No way to get another one. Grrrrrrrr.....
This happened to me as well for a few of the first round of amiibos. Have it shipped to your door to make sure you get it. This one will probably be in a cardboard box given the size of it.

bread's done
Back