Xenoblade Chronicles

[quote name='JCrichton']There is no way they do a reprint on a game like this.

But yeah, digital release? That's the true no-brainer.[/QUOTE]

The publication rights for this game split between Nintendo and Gamestop. It's unlikely that GS will agree to Nintendo sell this on their e-shop unless GS gets some of that money... which wouldn't make sense for Nintendo because GS wouldn't be doing any of the work.

This game could end up in licensing hell, for all we know.

[quote name='Vinny']The publication rights for this game split between Nintendo and Gamestop. It's unlikely that GS will agree to Nintendo sell this on their e-shop unless GS gets some of that money... which wouldn't make sense for Nintendo because GS wouldn't be doing any of the work.

This game could end up in licensing hell, for all we know.[/QUOTE]

Other gamestop "exclusive" like Chulip and Chaos War show up at other sites. GS has nothing to do with publishing. They likely only have distributing deal which is a lot more limited.

[quote name='JCrichton']There is no way they do a reprint on a game like this.

But yeah, digital release? That's the true no-brainer.[/QUOTE]

I doubt Nintendo would be so eager as to exclude all those Wii owners. Plus if the game is a dual-layer disc, then it'd only be playable on the 32GB Wii U model.

[quote name='Vinny']The publication rights for this game split between Nintendo and Gamestop. It's unlikely that GS will agree to Nintendo sell this on their e-shop unless GS gets some of that money... which wouldn't make sense for Nintendo because GS wouldn't be doing any of the work.

This game could end up in licensing hell, for all we know.[/QUOTE]
Unless you know something about the digital rights that haven't been released to the public those are different than physical rights.

[quote name='62t']Other gamestop "exclusive" like Chulip and Chaos War show up at other sites. GS has nothing to do with publishing. They likely only have distributing deal which is a lot more limited.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='JCrichton']Unless you know something about the digital rights that haven't been released to the public those are different than physical rights.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a copyright expert or anything, but I was under the impression that GS had exclusive rights to distribute the game (regardless of physical or digital), meaning they're the only ones who can sell 1st hand copies of the game?

I always assumed the copies of GS exclusives that showed up in other stores were due to GS selling directly to the store.

If Nintendo didnt reprint the Skyward Sword LE or Metroid Prime Trilogy, i dont think this one is going to be reprinted. Very sad since I missed out on it due to procrastination.

If anyone wants to trade a sealed Xenoblade for a sealed MW2 Prestige for 360, lmk.

I drove 100 miles to a Gamestop that had it in stock (all the Gamestops around it have Xenoblade disappearing from the online inventory). I had 'reserve' it via inStore pick up and they actually called me two days later if I am still going to pick it up. Someone went in and asked for it lol. Yeah of course I'm picking it up and I did (the following Saturday).

Props to the Gamestop employees for not outright selling the game to the obvious "Xenoblade collector".

GSlogo.png

We're currently down for improvements
But, we'll be back up soon - in the meantime...
Head on over to one of our many GameStop stores (check out our handy store finder),
and if you're in the mood to play something right now head on over to kongregate.com, where you can play free online games 24hrs a day

lol. Guess they planned that around the superbowl. Tripped my "webpage changes". Was gonna post that xenoblade came in stock but I guess that message is whats triggering it?

didn't even check the online stock. Drove to the one GS i know of that everyone's afraid to go to (it's in a really rough ghetto). Had a used copy with every insert/advertisement still inside of the case. flaweless.

I'd imagine if Nintendo can't release the game digitally now (which may be possible now anyway, since they sold the game directly along with it being available at Gamestop, right?) that they will be able to eventually, any deal with Gamestop would have been a timed exclusive, like so many of the console exclusives that eventually end up on another console as part of a remake or collection. Nintendo are the masters of selling the same game to customers again at a later date, they had to have thought of it.

[quote name='Vinny']I'm not a copyright expert or anything, but I was under the impression that GS had exclusive rights to distribute the game (regardless of physical or digital), meaning they're the only ones who can sell 1st hand copies of the game?[/QUOTE] It's exactly like any other form of media (sports, movies, TV shows, books, etc) where the digital rights are a completely different thing than the physical product. It's possible that Gamestop also owns the digital distribution rights (as well as the physical rights) but that makes little sense as they would be paying money for something they have no means of distributing. If it helps, one could also think of it as having rights to make action figures for the game: different part of the contract.

It's made certain chunks of the entertainment industry very contentious recently.

[quote name='rlse9']I'd imagine if Nintendo can't release the game digitally now (which may be possible now anyway, since they sold the game directly along with it being available at Gamestop, right?) that they will be able to eventually, any deal with Gamestop would have been a timed exclusive, like so many of the console exclusives that eventually end up on another console as part of a remake or collection. Nintendo are the masters of selling the same game to customers again at a later date, they had to have thought of it.[/QUOTE]
It all comes down to who owns the digital distribution rights. There would be little reason for Nintendo to sell off those particular rights.

I think it was lame that the best of the operation rainfall bunch got the most limited release. I know 'best' is subjective, but the game definitely had the biggest production values at the very least and was my personal favorite of the three.

Also didn't get any type of special edition like The Last Story did either. I think it probably would have been better served to be released later. I'd rather Pandora's Tower get the limited release and Xenoblade to be carried everywhere so more people can experience it.

Edit:

But on the flip side, to play devil's advocate with myself, people had plenty of time to order this game when it was in stock. It was in abundance for months, and it was only when it sold out that OCDers started to panic when reality set in that they may have missed their chance at getting it. Kind of the same situation like the Wizard's Edition of NnK. It was on pre-order for weeks and it was only when it got cut off that people panicked and suddenly decided they wanted one because they may be missing out.

If Gamestop.com had a ton of them in stock right now, no one would be trying to get one. It's only when they sell out or get rare that people start to go crazy.

[quote name='ShadowAssassin']

But on the flip side, to play devil's advocate with myself, people had plenty of time to order this game when it was in stock. It was in abundance for months, and it was only when it sold out that OCDers started to panic when reality set in that they may have missed their chance at getting it. Kind of the same situation like the Wizard's Edition of NnK. It was on pre-order for weeks and it was only when it got cut off that people panicked and suddenly decided they wanted one because they may be missing out.

If Gamestop.com had a ton of them in stock right now, no one would be trying to get one. It's only when they sell out or get rare that people start to go crazy.[/QUOTE]

It is a slightly different situation though, since folks who didn't get the NNK Wizard's Edition can still go purchase and play a copy of the game. If you missed Xenoblade Chronicles, you won't be able to play the game. I know that there are plenty of people buying one as an "investment" which is silly, but there are also a lot of people who, for whatever reason (backlog being a big one) didn't grab a copy before and now are panicking just because they do really want to play the game at some point.

[quote name='kingtopher']It is a slightly different situation though, since folks who didn't get the NNK Wizard's Edition can still go purchase and play a copy of the game. If you missed Xenoblade Chronicles, you won't be able to play the game. I know that there are plenty of people buying one as an "investment" which is silly, but there are also a lot of people who, for whatever reason (backlog being a big one) didn't grab a copy before and now are panicking just because they do really want to play the game at some point.[/QUOTE]

Lets just say it how it is, the only reason for people to give a shit that if Namco (of the Wiz Ed) or Nintendo (of Xenoblade) does a reprint is because they want to have a more valuable game in their collection or to flip/resell for profits. They don't care if other people get to play the game so long as their "investment" is worth an extra couple of ten's or hundreds.

Personally, I want to play Ni No Kuni and got the UK Wiz Ed. The Wizard's Companion is selling for roughly $200-$250 BY ITSELF. Considering it's the exact same book as the US version, I might open my set up, sell that book and keep everything else. I care more about playing the game than having collectables and the book is worth roughly the same thing as the entire European version of the Wiz Ed. I get money and get to play the game for essentially nothing as I would keep the game disk from the set.

Got my case from Gamefly today and disk the other day. Both looked brand-new though not as cheap as Gamestop. Worth the extra money to avoid the hassle of finding one though imo.

This game was on my want list for a while but I didn't actually feel the urge to buy it until I realized it was becoming harder to find. Once I figure "well it ain't going to get cheaper" then the CAG gives way to the gamer who wants to play a good game on the Wii.

[quote name='greenwolfe7']Is this really becoming hard to find? 8 stores within 30 miles of me have pre-owned stock and 2 have new copies?[/QUOTE]

I guess depending on resellers or collectors in your area it is, I guess you guys have more Elvis fans than gamers. =P

[quote name='greenwolfe7']Is this really becoming hard to find? 8 stores within 30 miles of me have pre-owned stock and 2 have new copies?[/QUOTE]
There must be at least 50 stores within 100 miles of me (boston) and no stock... used or new.

[quote name='shivan128']There must be at least 50 stores within 100 miles of me (boston) and no stock... used or new.[/QUOTE]

Same, but swap out Boston for Pittsburgh.

[quote name='shivan128']There must be at least 50 stores within 100 miles of me (boston) and no stock... used or new.[/QUOTE]
Same for Dallas/FW.

Houston is showing 1 new and 1 used on the far north and northwest side. And there's a used one in College Station. That's the complete tally for within 100 miles of Houston.

SI

Yeah, they've been gone for a few days near Boston. There were plenty in stock about a week ago (by plenty I mean at least a few stores had either new or used). They're all gone even further than 100 miles outside of Boston now.

[quote name='007']Same, but swap out Boston for Pittsburgh.[/QUOTE]

Check Stoughton they're supposed to be transferring one to my local store for me and said they had 2 new 6 used as of few days ago. Hell if you're in Boston you can get there in about 30 minutes from 93.

[quote name='sterlingice']Houston is showing 1 new and 1 used on the far north and northwest side. And there's a used one in College Station. That's the complete tally for within 100 miles of Houston.

SI[/QUOTE]

Just texted my aggie friend. Doubt he'll go though.

[quote name='Chocoburger']Yep. None where I live. I was hoping for a price drop eventually, guess that never happened with this limited release? Boo.[/QUOTE]
Generally speaking, if only one store is selling a game and it's not a AAA title there is a very small chance of it getting a price drop. Way more likely that it will simply sell out of stock. This goes triple for quality JRPGs.

[quote name='007']Same, but swap out Boston for Pittsburgh.[/QUOTE]

When this first came back in stock there was 5-6 stores within 50 miles of my zipcode here in the burgh. I waited because i thought no one would care about these but now all are gone. I know next time i see a copy to make sure and buy it

Well I didn't check all the stores in my area (god there are too many), but I was at the one next to my home around a week ago and asked out of curiosity. They said they had 7 copies, all "new", however 3 or 4 of these "new" copies have been unsealed and put on display in the Wii section.

It's bad enough that they open 1 copy of any given game for the wall display, but why in the hell do they have to do that with half their stock? The Wii section of this particular store is pretty damn small compared with the 360/PS3 section too so it's not like they need to fill wall space. Truth be told, I expect that they are lying about these games being new, but how to prove it?

Anyways, what's the Gamestop art pamphlet that was given out as a preorder bonus going for these days?

Edit: I did decide to take the few minutes to check the store locator, and of course it says this store doesn't have any at all. So unless el hoardo has visited within the last week then someone isn't keeping their online inventory in check. No other stores in my area have it new, tons used though including the one right by my office. They all say "low stock" though. I travel all around the southern east coast quite a bit, particularly the Carolinas, if anybody in that area is interested in working something out I'll see what my schedule is for the next couple of weeks ;)

Last edited:
[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Someone apparently traded in a copy near my GF this morning!! Just locked it in (love this feature) and it's ready for pick-up.[/QUOTE]

Where you located?

[quote name='Blaster man']Lets just say it how it is, the only reason for people to give a shit that if Namco (of the Wiz Ed) or Nintendo (of Xenoblade) does a reprint is because they want to have a more valuable game in their collection or to flip/resell for profits. They don't care if other people get to play the game so long as their "investment" is worth an extra couple of ten's or hundreds.[/QUOTE]
Are these things necessarily mutually exclusive? I collect video games, so sure, I'm happy whenever my collection's value increases - who wouldn't be? But I don't plan to sell mine (for a profit or otherwise), nor do I get any pleasure from knowing someone else is unable to play such a fantastic game.

[quote name='Blank Earth']Are these things necessarily mutually exclusive? I collect video games, so sure, I'm happy whenever my collection's value increases - who wouldn't be? But I don't plan to sell mine (for a profit or otherwise), nor do I get any pleasure from knowing someone else is unable to play such a fantastic game.[/QUOTE]

I have 2 Wiz Ed's from Europe coming and I have Xenoblade so I've got them. The Wizard's Edition is one thing, Ni No Kuni is still for sale. Xenoblade Chronicles is something completely different. For people to hope no reprint of that is completely selfish. Sure I like that my "new" (used on eBay but new to GS) is worth 90-100 bucks and if they announced a reprint I would sell ASAP and rebuy. That said, I wouldn't be mad if they reprinted. I mean come on...

I want to play this game, but there aren't any copies around me. Plus, $45 for a used copy? The cheapass in me can't justify that.

[quote name='Dranakin']I want to play this game, but there aren't any copies around me. Plus, $45 for a used copy? The cheapass in me can't justify that.[/QUOTE]

the cheapass in you is missing a fantastic game well worth that price then

I don't see why one would be proud of an item they own worth $100 or so. I have 5+ sealed copies that I bought months ago to resell for profit, but I will keep one of them for my collection to keep sealed(which I rarely do, but do with special cases) since I want to own a brand new copy of one of my all-time favorite games.

That said, it has nothing to do with the value as to why I am proud of it. It isn't a Michael Jordan rookie card. It's a video game. The value in terms of true collectibles is peanuts.

[quote name='Vinny']Looks like it. I tried to do a in store pick up and with the two closest stores, and both said they couldn't hold it.

You'd think that would be obvious and would have been done already, but it hasn't. I can't help but wonder if the deal between GS/Nintendo is resulting in issues. Like, GS wants to reprint it and keep it exclusive to their store, but Nintendo wants to cut ties with them and make it available in all stores.[/QUOTE]

Truth be told, I doubt there's that much demand for it. It's like Metroid Prime Trilogy, Skyward Sword Wiimote, or the LE Hyrule Historia: People want it now because it's rare. If they were to reprint this game, I don't doubt that it would still sell some, but probably not anything like the "demand" for it now is.

Not to be harsh, but you had plenty of time to buy it. Unless you just got a Wii/WiiU I don't know why you would have waited. Between the publicity with Operation Rainfall (and thus, the demand that was generated for this game) and the fact that it was a GS exclusive, there was no reason to think that it would ever go for less than $50 new or $45 used, that's why I went ahead and preordered (something I rarely, rarely do). On the flip side of that, I am surprised it is gping for so much on Ebay for the same reasons I listed above; in the gaming world the most valuable games are the ones that nobody ever thought would be rare but then virtually dissapeard off store shelves (DBZ: BT3 on Wii being a prime example). I dunno, I guess I just thought there'd be a lot of people on Ebay selling it for $60-$70 for a long time.

Last edited:
[quote name='Vinny']Looks like it. I tried to do a in store pick up and with the two closest stores, and both said they couldn't hold it.

You'd think that would be obvious and would have been done already, but it hasn't. I can't help but wonder if the deal between GS/Nintendo is resulting in issues. Like, GS wants to reprint it and keep it exclusive to their store, but Nintendo wants to cut ties with them and make it available in all stores.[/QUOTE]

Truth be told, I doubt there's that much demand for it. It's like Metroid Prime Trilogy, Skyward Sword Wiimote, or the LE Hyrule Historia: People want it because it's rare. If they were to reprint this game, I don't doubt that it would still sell some, but probably not anything like the "demand" for it now is.

Not to be harsh, but you had plenty of time to buy it. Unless you just got a Wii/WiiU I don't know why you would have waited. Between the publicity with Operation Rainfall (and thus, the demand that was generated for this game) and the fact that it was a GS exclusive, there was no reason to think that it would ever go for less than $50 new or $45 used, that's why I went ahead and preordered (something I rarely, rarely do). On the flip side of that, I am surprised it is gping for so much on Ebay for the same reasons I listed above; in the gaming world the most valuable games are the ones that nobody ever thought would be rare.

Long story short (Typin on wii u). I lucked out and was called back by a gs 45 minutes away, the employee saying he had a new copy transferred in, but the guy who ordered had not come to pick it up. i was so excited, told him to hold it for me (he couldn't ship it again, he said), and had one of my friends in that town pick it up for me. also luckily, this friend was coming back to my town that same day. i let him know what the game was, and that it was pretty darn rare. we meet up, i get a gs resealed game, "NEW" sticker on the cover, game loose in the case. my friend leaves, then i notice something else. two marks have punctured the case and ripped the cover. now normally i would blame this on gs too, but my friend had his new puppy in his car. grrr. anyway, game still works, and ill get over it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='rcerboss']Truth be told, I doubt there's that much demand for it. It's like Metroid Prime Trilogy, Skyward Sword Wiimote, or the LE Hyrule Historia: People want it now because it's rare. If they were to reprint this game, I don't doubt that it would still sell some, but probably not anything like the "demand" for it now is.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I never understood why people wanted Metroid Prime Trilogy, aside from the fact is became rare. Even though it had added features, I think they had to compress the contents to fit it all on disc, so it turned out worse overrall than the originals. Guess I'm lucky to have been able to get all of them on clearance.

On topic, I picked up Xenoblade the previous time Gamestop online restocked when I realized the game wouldn't ever go on sale. Unlike now, the copies were still factory sealed.

[quote name='ferant316']Check Stoughton they're supposed to be transferring one to my local store for me and said they had 2 new 6 used as of few days ago. Hell if you're in Boston you can get there in about 30 minutes from 93.[/QUOTE]
I live in quincy, there is nothing within 100 miles unless they no longer keep track of this game's stock online.

[quote name='shivan128']I live in quincy, there is nothing within 100 miles unless they no longer keep track of this game's stock online.[/QUOTE]

More people need to get this. Not all games are distributed what I'd call "nationwide".
Turbografx was especially infamous for being centered around large cities.

[quote name='bruceg']Yeah, I never understood why people wanted Metroid Prime Trilogy, aside from the fact is became rare. Even though it had added features, I think they had to compress the contents to fit it all on disc, so it turned out worse overrall than the originals. Guess I'm lucky to have been able to get all of them on clearance.

On topic, I picked up Xenoblade the previous time Gamestop online restocked when I realized the game wouldn't ever go on sale. Unlike now, the copies were still factory sealed.[/QUOTE]
Actually I probably shouldn't have used the Trilogy as an example to be honest, it really is the most amazing collection/best value Nintendo has ever put out. I really only mentioned it because, like Xenoblade, it was available for months (if not a year or two) before it was pulled, and there was ample time/stock for anybody who actually wanted the collection to buy it. And unlike Xenoblade there were plenty of times the Trilogy went on sale (I nabbed it at around $33 or so myself because I hadn't bought Prime 3 yet, and the Trilogy was the same price as Prime 3 on it's own). It wasn't until news hit that there were going to be no reprints that it's value skyrocketed into what it is today.

Anyways the so called "art book" that came with the collection makes the pamphlet Gamestop gave out for Xenoblade look like Hyrule Historia. But the games themselves play great on the collection, the Wiimote pointer controls are far better than the Gamecube controls ever were and widescreen support is always a plus.

I don't think they tweaked Prime 2 or 3 much in terms of graphics, but they (supposedly) touched up the graphics on Prime 1, so if anything it should look better when played on the Prime Trilogy. Of course they did remove some minor details (I still miss how the charged ice beam no longer freezes the arm cannon, especially since the sound effect is still there). But it's more than a fair tradeoff to get the Wiimote functionality and widescreen support, and the graphics/framerate themselves don't suffer at all.

Key point on The Metroid Prime Trilogy: it is a hot buy because of the upgraded control scheme to fit the Wii-mote along with its rarity.

There are things that are valuable/worth owning because they are rare (stadium events being an extreme example) and then there's xenoblade, which is a worth owning because it's a quality game. That's just my opinion.

bread's done
Back