Xenoblade Chronicles

Of course AFTER I drive 46 miles to get my copy, another copy shows up within 10 miles! :wall:

Oh well, I figured that might happen since GS is offering $48 for trade-in!

Now is the time to get this if anybody still needs it, I'm sure they'll be popping up all over. ;)

[quote name='Blaster man']I've finally started playing xenoblade. Holy crap the game hurts my eyes.[/QUOTE]

well obviously you havent played more than one or two hours then lol. just wait the world is beautiful and breath taking.

I dunno. If you can't get past that it's not Hi Def, then I guess you won't ever like it no matter the gorgeous scenery that you come across. It looks like a really high end PS2 game but the art direction is fantastic. The art designs and direction are great but there's still a limiting technology. It's good enough for me but I'm not a videophile.

SI

even compared to quite a few HD games there are not many that match up the design of the world of xenoblade...the fantastic weather system, the animals, the world, the colors. and the just life of it all.

[quote name='sterlingice']I dunno. If you can't get past that it's not Hi Def, then I guess you won't ever like it no matter the gorgeous scenery that you come across. It looks like a really high end PS2 game but the art direction is fantastic. The art designs and direction are great but there's still a limiting technology. It's good enough for me but I'm not a videophile.

SI[/QUOTE]
I'm going to try to play through it but it look absolutely terrible. The character screens are the worst. The characters look like they have holes through them and it seems like random pixels flash around on screen.
edit:
Actually the random pixels flashing on screen happen the entire time the game runs, it's just more noticeable during the character select screen since it's static. I turned off burn in protection but that didn't help.

What I see on Xenoblade looks similar to this but not quite as bad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xwT5hasrVf4

edit2:
Been looking on google, it looks like other people experienced this problem and folks are claiming it a fried GPU. That's pretty annoying. No way in hell I'm buying a new Wii or sending it in for repairs at a ridiculous price. Maybe I'll just stop using the Wii altogether until the Wii U price comes down and I buy one. This is really annoying. I could play through the game anyway...anyone have an idea how long a Wii would last like this? I have virtual console games and I don't want the thing to completely die since I'd have to send it to Nintendo to get my content back. What a horrible system.

So now my decision is to wait to play Xenoblade until after I buy a Wii U (after the price drop) or play it and hope to god my console doesn't break and force me to pay some stupid high price to get the content back. I guess a third option would be to sell Xenoblade + artbook for $170...but I would like to play it before that...

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's 2 examples of my problem. I took a couple of pictures. These things flash all over the screen while playing which is why I was able to take a picture of them. The first picture, there's a dot right between and above the two letters "m". The second picture, on the bottom half of the middle of the barrel there's 2 dots.

http://s8.postimage.org/sjl1oflbp/pixel_1.jpg
http://s4.postimage.org/q87x49yn1/pixel_2.jpg

Anyone have their Wii die on them? Is this what happened first? Goddamnit.
LOL! Nintendo charges $75 for repair!

hmm yea could be the wii dying. i dont know though. ok well without a wii on its death bed it looks great. though i admit my wii has been on its death bed and got through this entire game. though mine was an overheating problem i think im not sure. i just had to ventilate it, be sure to give the system a break every few hours, and not put it on standby mode aka unplug it.

though a fried GPU likely wont solve it the way i solved my wii problem. of course if only i could get it to transfer all the data to the wii u argh!

but yea if the GPU is fried or on its way out theres not much you can do about that i am afraid. but again thats IF thats the problem. you could test this theory by seeing if other games play and have this problem or not. if they all do then yea fried GPU looks like a winner.

[quote name='kayne2000']hmm yea could be the wii dying. i dont know though. ok well without a wii on its death bed it looks great. though i admit my wii has been on its death bed and got through this entire game. though mine was an overheating problem i think im not sure. i just had to ventilate it, be sure to give the system a break every few hours, and not put it on standby mode aka unplug it.

though a fried GPU likely wont solve it the way i solved my wii problem. of course if only i could get it to transfer all the data to the wii u argh!

but yea if the GPU is fried or on its way out theres not much you can do about that i am afraid. but again thats IF thats the problem. you could test this theory by seeing if other games play and have this problem or not. if they all do then yea fried GPU looks like a winner.[/QUOTE]

It's been happening for a while now that I know what I'm looking at. On the home screen you can see pixels flashing all over the place, some in vertical lines.

well then yea sounds like a wii problem. id probably concentrate on trying to save your data on there more than anything else.

i also wouldnt count on the WIi U being a replacement exactly. some data doesnt transfer over correctly and in my case the data transfer flat out doesnt work it freezes every time which means my account doesnt transfer over luckily i dont have a huge stash of VC games or anything. so your still going have to deal with locked saves not carrying over and if your wii is half busted like mine theres probably a good chance your locked saves are dying unless you know how to get them unlocked.

at best then the wii u will take only unlocked saves that you could normally transfer to any wii system anyway with no hassles.

[quote name='kayne2000']well then yea sounds like a wii problem. id probably concentrate on trying to save your data on there more than anything else.

i also wouldnt count on the WIi U being a replacement exactly. some data doesnt transfer over correctly and in my case the data transfer flat out doesnt work it freezes every time which means my account doesnt transfer over luckily i dont have a huge stash of VC games or anything. so your still going have to deal with locked saves not carrying over and if your wii is half busted like mine theres probably a good chance your locked saves are dying unless you know how to get them unlocked.

at best then the wii u will take only unlocked saves that you could normally transfer to any wii system anyway with no hassles.[/QUOTE]

Well there aren't really a lot of games that the saves are important on anyway. I typically play games one at a time until I finish them. I just started Xenoblade so I'll start over whenever I get a new console. Other than that we have WiiFit data I wouldn't want to lose + Kirby Epic Yarn that my daughter has been slowly working through. Then of course all the virtual console games that I got from my club nintendo points.

BTW, I use component video so I tried the composite cable that came with it and it's got the problem as well. I knew it wasn't the cable but I figured I'd try anyway.

I've been waiting on a $100 price drop but under the circumstances I guess I'll begrudgingly buy a Wii U after a $50 price drop.

[quote name='kayne2000']even compared to quite a few HD games there are not many that match up the design of the world of xenoblade...the fantastic weather system, the animals, the world, the colors. and the just life of it all.[/QUOTE]

Agreed- I think it was Monolith getting a lot of mileage out of the hardware. But I could see someone who is used to HiDef stuff getting hung up on that.

Instead, this looks like a hardware issue.

SI

[quote name='get_loud']Trade in value is now $50 at GameStop.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's a joke. Together with the art book it's selling on eBay for between 150 and 200.

[quote name='sterlingice']Agreed- I think it was Monolith getting a lot of mileage out of the hardware. But I could see someone who is used to HiDef stuff getting hung up on that.

Instead, this looks like a hardware issue.

SI[/QUOTE]

while i love me some graphics this game is still beautiful to look at as long as it doesnt zoom in on character models

I have a spare I need to get rid of, don't wanna resort to ebay, even though I get less here, any takers? LOVING my copy though, can see why it can fetch so mutch.

[quote name='Hemi']I have a spare I need to get rid of, don't wanna resort to ebay, even though I get less here, any takers? LOVING my copy though, can see why it can fetch so mutch.[/QUOTE]
Throw it up on a lowball auction.

[quote name='JCrichton']Throw it up on a lowball auction.[/QUOTE]

I'd need to get more trade feedback first, only at 5 currently, otherwise I would.

I lucked out and was able to find a mint copy last night. :) Prob my first time in Gamestop in about 10 years lol nice employee too.

Here's a random question -- I managed to get a reasonably priced copy of Xenoblade, however it is disc-only. I was thinking since some Gamestops still seem to have empty cases on display for this game, that maybe I could convince a Gamestop to sell me a case? Or is this probably not worth my time? Alternatively, does anyone have suggestions on how I might acquire a case?

[quote name='danhoo']Here's a random question -- I managed to get a reasonably priced copy of Xenoblade, however it is disc-only. I was thinking since some Gamestops still seem to have empty cases on display for this game, that maybe I could convince a Gamestop to sell me a case? Or is this probably not worth my time? Alternatively, does anyone have suggestions on how I might acquire a case?[/QUOTE]That sounds reasonable, if you happen to be passing by a GS you might as a well try. I remember a kid and his mom coming into one asking if they could do the same for another game and they were able to do so.

[quote name='Illmatic73']I lucked out and was able to find a mint copy last night. :) Prob my first time in Gamestop in about 10 years lol nice employee too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it seems the less time you spend in gamestop, the better your experience

[quote name='danhoo']Here's a random question -- I managed to get a reasonably priced copy of Xenoblade, however it is disc-only. I was thinking since some Gamestops still seem to have empty cases on display for this game, that maybe I could convince a Gamestop to sell me a case? Or is this probably not worth my time? Alternatively, does anyone have suggestions on how I might acquire a case?[/QUOTE]

I'd get a replacement Wii case and print some custom cover art. I don't think the display boxes are identical copies of the real case so why not print out something that looks better anyway.

I know I've done this for a few games: replacement case and my own cover art. Doesn't help resale but it makes the shelf look nicer at minimal cost.

SI

I'll further the opinion, buy Wii Fit at your local GS for $0.99 for the replacement case, then print out a cover. This is also something to do with your sleeve only games, such as Wii Sports and Link's Crossbow Training, or as a tipping point in buying disc only copies of games online.

As sterlingice said, it may not help the resale, but it gives your gaming shelf more appeal, so put those Wii Fit copies to good use!

Thanks for the suggestions! I've tried the print-custom-cover approach before, and while I do like the alternate covers people have made, I never have access to a high-quality color printer so the results look less than satisfactory to me. But maybe I'm being too picky. I definitely want something that will look nice on my shelf since I plan to keep this game for a long time.

[quote name='danhoo']Thanks for the suggestions! I've tried the print-custom-cover approach before, and while I do like the alternate covers people have made, I never have access to a high-quality color printer so the results look less than satisfactory to me. But maybe I'm being too picky. I definitely want something that will look nice on my shelf since I plan to keep this game for a long time.[/QUOTE]

What paper have you used? It always seems like the paper can make a big difference even if you're using a cheap printer.

[quote name='blindinglights']What paper have you used? It always seems like the paper can make a big difference even if you're using a cheap printer.[/QUOTE]
Photo paper can look really good if you want to spring for it and it works with your printer.

The recent trade in value of Xenoblade at Gamestop prompted a bunch of trade ins and has lowered the resell price on eBay. For a while there were TONS of stores in my area with used copies for sale. Now they're all sold out again so I imagine that eBay will creep back up.

I still have to wonder if they're going to be doing a reprint...

[quote name='Blaster man']The recent trade in value of Xenoblade at Gamestop prompted a bunch of trade ins and has lowered the resell price on eBay. For a while there were TONS of stores in my area with used copies for sale. Now they're all sold out again so I imagine that eBay will creep back up.

I still have to wonder if they're going to be doing a reprint...[/QUOTE]

what and have nintendo admit that maybe they were wrong to do a low print? that will never happen. plus they might have to actually advertise the game to make it worthwhile and God knows nintendo doesnt advertise anything but zelda, mario, metroid and the latest casual crap.

[quote name='kayne2000']what and have nintendo admit that maybe they were wrong to do a low print? that will never happen. plus they might have to actually advertise the game to make it worthwhile and God knows nintendo doesnt advertise anything but zelda, mario, metroid and the latest casual crap.[/QUOTE]

Metroid is a funny way to spell Pokemon

I saw the "X" preview on YouTube yesterday. Anyone that's played Xenoblade recognize that stuff? Is it a reprint in HD or a new game? I ask because I haven't played my copy yet and many people have finished it and should know.

[quote name='Blaster man']I saw the "X" preview on YouTube yesterday. Anyone that's played Xenoblade recognize that stuff? Is it a reprint in HD or a new game? I ask because I haven't played my copy yet and many people have finished it and should know.[/QUOTE]

Link??

[quote name='Blaster man']I saw the "X" preview on YouTube yesterday. Anyone that's played Xenoblade recognize that stuff? Is it a reprint in HD or a new game? I ask because I haven't played my copy yet and many people have finished it and should know.[/QUOTE]

It has a very similar UI, but it's not Xenoblade. It's an all new one!

Now go play the game, it's amazing.

[quote name='Dezuria']It has a very similar UI, but it's not Xenoblade. It's an all new one!

Now go play the game, it's amazing.[/QUOTE]

Mentioned earlier in the thread, my Wii's GPU is going. I'm waiting for the Wii U price drop before playing it. Not sending my Wii to Nintendo for them to repair for $75.

Price drop not coming anytime soon for Wii U. As stated by many others in the industry Nintendo is barely making money from the Console sales. Will need the components to be cheaper before price drop comes. What you will see is game bundles for around the same price as they can subsidize inflated value with a game.

Speaking of components for the Wii U I was wondering MrBoss...is the optical disc set up actually HD DVD? It would make sense given how Nintendo likes to prevent piracy and given how comparatively few HD DVD burners likely exist.
Considering the disc is 25 gigs at max and not 50 it seems quite coincidental. I imagine Nintendo making having 5 gigs. worth of copy protection on each disc.

Is this game actually worth playing vs just selling? I'm starting to waver. I'm starting to consider selling this and The Last Story without ever playing them. I can get close to $200 for the both of them.

It was absolutely my favorite JRPG this gen. Had a huge impact on me and I happily dropped 90 hours on it.

That said, 200 is 200, and there's naturally no guaranteeing you'd feel the same way about it as I did.

Well, it's also the reason I'm watching Wii U sales figures so closely and have that "troll" thread. If they sell really badly then Nintendo will have to lower the console price. If I sell my 2 games I may never buy a Wii U. The kids have some Wii games so the wife may force me to buy another Wii (or Wii U) if the Wii goes kaput though. That's a decent amount of money though and those chuck e cheese birthday party's aren't cheap and I've got to pay for one soon!

Xenoblade is worth keeping. It's been less than a year since I sunk 120+ hours into it and I already want to go back and play New Game+. I wouldn't sell Xenoblade even if I could get $200+ just for it alone.

[quote name='Blaster man']Well, it's also the reason I'm watching Wii U sales figures so closely and have that "troll" thread. If they sell really badly then Nintendo will have to lower the console price. If I sell my 2 games I may never buy a Wii U. The kids have some Wii games so the wife may force me to buy another Wii (or Wii U) if the Wii goes kaput though. That's a decent amount of money though and those chuck e cheese birthday party's aren't cheap and I've got to pay for one soon![/QUOTE]

You could have just got a Basic Wii U for 250 + a 50 dollar gift card yesterday.

bread's done
Back