Yakuza 3 $14.99 @ KMart.

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']Do you like FPS/3rdPS games (COD, HALO, GEARS, etc) and God of War? Do you dislike Ninja Gaiden and Vanquish? Just want to know so I know which group you belong to.[/QUOTE]

I like both groups. Granted I'd rather play bayonetta/dmc/ninja gaiden over halo or something like that, but that doesn't mean I don't like those games. (Except Gears of War which I do not like).

But still, my preferences don't really bring up what in Shenmue is better than in Yakuza.

[quote name='whoknows']I think the Yakuza series is way better than the Shenmue games. I can't think of anything that the Shenmue games do better...unless you really love forklift racing or moving boxes.[/QUOTE]

Yakuza does not stand a chance....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lki0M2R7lA

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked it up at K-Mart off of Victory Blvd in Newport New, VA. I think they still had one more copy in stock. I'm really looking forward to this game. I've been watching one of my friends play bits and pieces of it and it seems awesome!

[quote name='whoknows']I bought this shit for $60 when it came out.

And it was
Totally worth it
[/QUOTE]

Same, plus I wanted to support Sega so Yakuza 4 would come out.

anyone know how long this will be on sale at this price?

waiting for my $15 gc for donating blood to come in the mail.

[quote name='sadboy']I was wondering where that was. I haven't been to the Space Center Underground in a long while.[/QUOTE]
Wow, I forgot all about going there in elementary school. Can't think of if it was near the same caves I'm thinking of. The caves I'm thinking of are where RSO/Cargo Largo has auctions in. I remember getting an Xbox 1 out of an auction there for like $50 without cables or controller the year after it came out.

I guess the Kmart he was talking about is near Susquehanna?
Argh, I wanna go home...

[quote name='whoknows']I think the Yakuza series is way better than the Shenmue games. I can't think of anything that the Shenmue games do better...unless you really love forklift racing or moving boxes.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but can you play a game of Lucky Hit in Yakuza?

[quote name='sadboy']I was wondering where that was. I haven't been to the Space Center Underground in a long while.[/QUOTE]

It by Quick Trip (Truman Bridge) b4 you hit the Traffic Light (Kentucky Road). I sure Noland still have some stock just give them a call ;)

I just recently got paired up for a trade for this game on Goozex, but asked to cancel it since seeing this thread. $15 is an excellent deal for an excellent game.

[quote name='Thrinn']Yeah, but can you play a game of Lucky Hit in Yakuza?[/QUOTE]

No, but in Y3 you can play Mahjong and Shogi and...oh wait.
Noooooooooo

Id like a bit of what you're smoking,mate. I personally believe that advances in interactive storytelling will continue to propel the gaming industry. Shenmue took this very concept to staggering new heights - i remember playing the first one on the dreamcast and wondering how on earth they pulled it off. Now every developer can do the open world thing and they owe a lot of their successes to the path paved by the developers of Shenmue. It's nothing against the Yakuza series, but "way better" is a bit of a stretch, mate.

How similar is it to Shenmue?

Deadly Premonition reminds me of it somewhat. (I love Deadly Premonition!)

I've been curious about Yakuza for years though, so I'm going tonight and buying it if I find it.

I liked Shenmue 1 quite a lot, but didn't like Shenmue 2...coudln't get into it for some reason. I liked the world in Shenmue 1 a lot more...felt home-y-er. I liked the stuff with his girlfriend or whatever. Enjoyed the combat, graphics, etc.

I don't know, the second one I'm dumped into this world I don't like, and it's all hunting around for what I'm supposed to do, with people I don't like, and I don't know...just didn't click with me, though I'm glad Microsoft got it brought out over here.

[quote name='Heavyd814life']Id like a bit of what you're smoking,mate. I personally believe that advances in interactive storytelling will continue to propel the gaming industry. Shenmue took this very concept to staggering new heights - i remember playing the first one on the dreamcast and wondering how on earth they pulled it off. Now every developer can do the open world thing and they owe a lot of their successes to the path paved by the developers of Shenmue. It's nothing against the Yakuza series, but "way better" is a bit of a stretch, mate.[/QUOTE]

I'm not arguing that Shenmue wasn't impressive when it came out. I do like the Shenmue games, I'm saying that Yakuza is the better series. I still can't think of anything gameplay-wise that Shenmue does better yet people keep saying Shenmue is better. I'm just questioning in what way.

[quote name='whoknows']I'm not arguing that Shenmue wasn't impressive when it came out. I do like the Shenmue games, I'm saying that Yakuza is the better series. I still can't think of anything gameplay-wise that Shenmue does better yet people keep saying Shenmue is better. I'm just questioning in what way.[/QUOTE]

So how is it better? I've just really been unclear about the connection, and surprised that one's never made in reviews, even though it sounds similar. To me I'd be hyping that up in a review or in marketing material!

[quote name='whoknows']I'm not arguing that Shenmue wasn't impressive when it came out. I do like the Shenmue games, I'm saying that Yakuza is the better series. I still can't think of anything gameplay-wise that Shenmue does better yet people keep saying Shenmue is better. I'm just questioning in what way.[/QUOTE]
So far all I get out of this is that the people who think Shenmue was better think so because of nostalgia. You are right, they have yet to speak to anything specific.

[quote name='thegreek']Yakuza does not stand a chance....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lki0M2R7lA[/QUOTE]

Dang, is just me or have those graphics held up REALLY well?

I bet the Dreamcast could have held out that whole generation. I mean it didn't have as much RAM, fill rate, or CPU power, but it did have texture compression and...well I think Shenmue and Sonic Adventure were competitive with whatever on the PS2.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Dang, is just me or have those graphics held up REALLY well?

I bet the Dreamcast could have held out that whole generation. I mean it didn't have as much RAM, fill rate, or CPU power, but it did have texture compression and...well I think Shenmue and Sonic Adventure were competitive with whatever on the PS2.[/QUOTE]

and most important of all, a lot less jaggies than the ps2. also runs at standard resolutions compare to ps2's funky ones. this was a clear case of marketing and money power at sony.

[quote name='wrencrest']So far all I get out of this is that the people who think Shenmue was better think so because of nostalgia. You are right, they have yet to speak to anything specific.[/QUOTE]

Sentimentality is definitely one of the reasons the Shenmue lore lives on, but Shenmue was the first epic in video gaming. It is what the Godfather was to the gangster genre and what The Canterbury Tales were to telling stories using the English language. Shenmue was groundbreaking; it was the very first game to seamlessly blend action, drama, intrigue and suspense. It was the first game to possess these movie like qualities. It's vibrant graphics hold up today and the compelling story and innovative gameplay have undoubtedly inspired this generation of developers (QTE's, Freedom of an Open World) - Shenmue was an experience and that, i'm afraid, is not something any of the earlier Yakuza games can boast about.

I know this isn't Yakuza but I just wanted to say thanks to this thread because someone had posted about Dragon Age Origins UE being $25 this week. I hadn't seen that anywhere else so yay for me! Now back to your Yakuza~

[quote name='Heavyd814life']Sentimentality is definitely one of the reasons the Shenmue lore lives on, but Shenmue was the first epic in video gaming. It is what the Godfather was to the gangster genre and what The Canterbury Tales were to telling stories using the English language. Shenmue was groundbreaking; it was the very first game to seamlessly blend action, drama, intrigue and suspense. It was the first game to possess these movie like qualities. It's vibrant graphics hold up today and the compelling story and innovative gameplay have undoubtedly inspired this generation of developers (QTE's, Freedom of an Open World) - Shenmue was an experience and that, i'm afraid, is not something any of the earlier Yakuza games can boast about.[/QUOTE]

+1! It's not easy to explain what makes Shenmue better than Yakuza, but Heavyd814life pretty much sums it up. It's the entire package and how well the former AM2 lead excuted everything. It's an work of art, so natually, it's not for everyone. I can not feel more involve in a video game's story than Shenmue games period. And Sega left many of us hanging for over a decade for the final chapter but continues on to support an inferior franchise that can be made annually. Shenmue can not be properly produced annually and probably takes a lot more money/ man power to produce which lead to Sega dropping the series. Yu Suzuki needs to work for a more wealthy company. ;) Yu Suzuki of Sega, Shigeru Miyamoto or Nintendo, Atsushi Inaba of Platinum Games, and Tomonobu Itagaki of former TeamNinja at Tecmo are the Japanese gaming gods in my book. Ok, you can all stop laughing at Itagaki now.:lol:

Guess I just don't see Shenmue in that way. Sure it was a great game, but I wouldn't rate it as highly as you two do.

I just prefer the Yakuza world. All the things you can do in the game on top of the fantastic story. I personally didn't find the Shenmue story to be that amazing. Looking for revenge against your fathers killer really isn't that original of a story honestly.

[quote name='whoknows']Guess I just don't see Shenmue in that way. Sure it was a great game, but I wouldn't rate it as highly as you two do.

I just prefer the Yakuza world. All the things you can do in the game on top of the fantastic story. I personally didn't find the Shenmue story to be that amazing. Looking for revenge against your fathers killer really isn't that original of a story honestly.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the story isn't that orginal, but what story hasn't been used in the past in one form or another, including Yakuza's? It's how well the games bring the players to be involved in the story as far as Shenmue games go. As I said yesterday, the gansta theme is defintely for the masses so the Yakuza series is continually produced, yet the Shenmue series is left behind. Sega's in the market for making money so a game with mass appeal that can be created annually and takes less money to produce natually wins in their book.

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']Yes, the story isn't that orginal, but what story hasn't been used in the past in one form or another, including Yakuza's? It's how well the games bring the players to be involved in the story as far as Shenmue games go. As I said yesterday, the gansta theme is defintely for the masses so the Yakuza series is continually produced, yet the Shenmue series is left behind. Sega's in the market for making money so a game with mass appeal that can be created annually and takes less money to produce natually wins in their book.[/QUOTE]

Well the gangsta theme may be big in Japan, but it obviously isn't selling that well in the U.S.

And even if the games are put out every year doesn't mean they're rush jobs. They're quality every time. I personally just find the stories in the Yakuza games more interesting just because they're more involved.

I understand why some would say Yakuza is better than Shenmue. When you break it down, Shenmue was an adventure game. Yakuza is an RPG. At least that's how I view them.

Yakuza, to me, has a more substantial story by far! And this is coming from a HUGE Shenmue fan who still plays both installments to this day. There is more "payoff" with Yakuza.

And yes, Shenmue I-II have aged incredibly well. You should see it hooked up with VGA in widescreen.

[quote name='voormis']And yes, Shenmue I-II have aged incredibly well. You should see it hooked up with VGA in widescreen.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't widescreen cause the image to become compromised due to the aspect ratio being stretched?

[quote name='whoknows']Well the gangsta theme may be big in Japan, but it obviously isn't selling that well in the U.S.

And even if the games are put out every year doesn't mean they're rush jobs. They're quality every time. I personally just find the stories in the Yakuza games more interesting just because they're more involved.[/QUOTE]

True, the Japanese gangsta theme is big in Japan and not in the U.S. (U.S. has its own mass appeal gansta theme games in the form of GTA and its clones). Too bad Shenmue did not enjoy the same success over in Japan compares to Yakuza and it probably sold as many copies as Yakuza here in the State. So for Sega to compare which one will bring them more revenue, the choice is obvious.

Yakuza games are no where near unpolished compares to other annually released junky games, not by a long shot. However, that still doesn't hide the fact that the creator of Yakuza isn't as capable as Yu Suzuki in bringing the players into the game. Of course, that's just me and some of the Shenmue fans' opinion. The masses will think Yakuza's better based on the theme and environment/story the games are based on. In a discussion or argument, the mass apeal games always win because the majority favor them.

It's like another popular genre, action hack n slash, the mass marketed God of War series always takes crown but I for one doesn't fine it that fun and much prefer the technical gameplay and fast action of Ninja Gaiden series. Is God of War a bad game? No way, but my preference goes to Ninja Gaiden hands down. Natually, the majority disagree also because God of War series has mass appeal.

Same could be said about Dreamcast vs PS2. DC lost to PS2 based on mass appeal because DVD players were hitting the market and PS2 has that built-in, plus Sony's marketing power/$$$ was much greater than Sega's. Were games on DC sucked compares to PS2? Heck no and in fact, multiplatform games were actaully better on DC and it had much more original and unique games. We all know what happened to DC in the end. Mass appeal always win. The reality is often times, the niche market things are better than the mass market. Unfortunely, the masses would never know.

I'd like to see a Shenmue/Yakuza-ized version of Tokyo Beatdown, or a cop-themed game in the style of those games.

[quote name='Kilvas09']That video is fantastic :applause:, gotta love Mega64.[/QUOTE]

I was really impressed that Yu Suzuki was down with doing that video. :applause:

Couldn't find it at any of my Kmarts. 5 days until Yakuza 4 comes out, so if they plan to honor the deal, I'd like to know when they restock Yakuza 3.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Couldn't find it at any of my Kmarts. 5 days until Yakuza 4 comes out, so if they plan to honor the deal, I'd like to know when they restock Yakuza 3.[/QUOTE]

We don't know if the fresh stock will be reserved for Yakuza 4 purchases or up for grabs for individual purchase.

The KMart reps have been mum on it after being asked about it numerous times in their thread, I've emailed 'Josh' and it's been ignored as well...

I'm pretty sure Josh and Stock boy have both said that Kmarts would be receiving Yakuza 3 in the same shipments with 4 because Kmart initially didn't carry much inventory when 3 initially released.

Was able to buy it last night at my K-Mart! I was thinking of getting Vanquished too, but I just have such a huge backlog...so maybe later.

I ended up just grabbing a used copy from the Gohastings sale for about the same price as it would cost at Kmart new after tax assuming I was lucky enough to find a copy (this way I don't have to waste the gas going to Kmart)

Finally, I snagged 1. Well actually 3. The 1 Kmart I chose not to call the other day thinking they wouldn't have any, and they actually did. So the Kmart in Asheville, NC on Patton Ave has 1 more Yakuza 3 left. Great day it is. Now off to see Battle LA (hopefully).

If anyone around the Farmingville area wants a copy, there is one left in the case. There may be more, but I only saw two, one of which I purchased.

[quote name='Wolfpup']So you can play three copies at the same time? :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

I bought 1 for myself and 2 for 2 friends. What can I say? I'm a nice friend!

bread's done
Back