Yakuza 3 comes West, Right now!

I'd be pissed if they took out the Hostess stuff. That was awesome fun.

The Shogi and Mahjong I couldn't care less about though.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']She, sir.:lol:

Rumor on NeoGAF has it that Sega cut out a significant amount of content from the US release, including Mahjong, Shogi, and the Hostess minigames. The reasons given are:
1. Removed from the demo (which was otherwise identical to the Japanese demo).
2. Removed from the trophy listing.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see. If this turns out to be true, I'm not buying.[/QUOTE]

That wasn't me... that was my evil twin who said "he". :whistle2:\"

What's the point of Hostesses anyway? I only tried it once but never understood what it's supposed to accomplish. I'll be glad if Shogi is gone and I'm impartial to Mahjong.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Rumor on NeoGAF has it that Sega cut out a significant amount of content from the US release, including Mahjong, Shogi, and the Hostess minigames. The reasons given are:
1. Removed from the demo (which was otherwise identical to the Japanese demo).
2. Removed from the trophy listing.[/QUOTE]

My guess is that the trophies associated with these activities have been taken out -- but not the activities themselves. I'd wager that the overwhelming majority of platinum trophy hunters (i.e. 99.99995%) don't know how to play mahjong or shogi. So I can imagine some fans screaming "Why the :censored: do I need to learn these dum' games for a platinum?! :bomb::twoguns:"

And the hostess section still exists because karaoke is confirmed. And you go karaoke with girls from hostess bars.

I present the following video as evidence: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/demo-karaoke-yakuza-3/62147

The girl singing is Rina Sakurai, who is from Club Ageha.

CASE CLOSED!

[quote name='Vinny']What's the point of Hostesses anyway?[/QUOTE]

If it's anything like the one in Yakuza 2, you'll become the manager of a lowly hostess bar. Your objective is to grow your business and club reputation by upgrading furniture, features, hiring better hostesses, increasing loyalty by answering questions correctly, etc. You could also choose to "date" with one of them, although the whole experience was rather brief.

Dating in Yakuza 3 means going out for karaoke, and maybe even a trip to the hot springs. It's all very over the top & ridiculous (but likely true in some very rare real-life circumstances).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ecofreak']My guess is that the trophies associated with these activities have been taken out -- but not the activities themselves. I'd wager that the overwhelming majority of platinum trophy hunters (i.e. 99.99995%) don't know how to play mahjong or shogi. So I can imagine some fans screaming "Why the :censored: do I need to learn these dum' games for a platinum?! :bomb::twoguns:"

And the hostess section still exists because karaoke is confirmed. And you go karaoke with girls from hostess bars.

I present the following video as evidence: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/demo-karaoke-yakuza-3/62147

CASE CLOSED![/QUOTE]
I really hope you're right, but that doesn't necessarily mean the hostess stuff is in.

[quote name='Ecofreak']
CASE CLOSED!
[/QUOTE]

Appreciate it, but I want a confirmed statement from a Sega Dev or something that overwhelmingly proves otherwise.

[quote name='yukine']I seriously hope Sega didn't cut content to use as a pre-order bonus.[/QUOTE]

Um its Sega, they will just sell the content as DLC later if need be. Anyway, hope Mahjong, Shogi, and the Hostess bars will be in. Even if there are no trophies for them, its always good for recreational purposes.

Oh man, no mahjong?! That's one of the reasons I was interested in this game :(
Was it real mahjong or that stupid mahjong solitaire?

Its Mahjong with Riichi competition rules. In the JP game, you have a chance to compete in a league against 29 competitors.

[quote name='Supplice']Its Mahjong with Riichi competition rules. In the JP game, you have a chance to compete in a league against 29 competitors.[/QUOTE]

You're already talking way over my head. :dunce:

ugh that hostess rumor T_T

hostess bars are definitely gonna be in the game. if sega didn't cut the hostess bars in the first two games, why would they in the third game.

not sure about the other stuff. but i'm guessing that if they left the karaoke mini-game, then they left everything. they even translated the karaoke songs XD

though one thing I've been wondering that most likely has the highest potential of being cut is the theme song and two insert songs by Eikichi Yazawa. I keep asking at the ps blog if they're leaving the songs or removing them but no answer =(

I really hope they don't cut Eikichi Yazawa's songs cuz they're awesome. Also read somewhere that Jikan yo Tomare is nicely placed in one of the scenes.

[quote name='jh6269']So you think this demo is from an earlier unfinished portion of the game? I hope so... It just doesn't seem as polished as even Bayonetta. I'm just kind of surprised that this game is such a huge game in Japan, and it feels so unpolished. Just the way the movement is, like, when you change directions, he just kind spins around like he has no weight. Well, anyway, I'm still getting the game. I think the story will be good and I like the whole Tokyo feel of it.[/QUOTE]
I'm not saying that specifically, but demos as a whole can fall in that category. Most games these days are tuning and tweaking up to about a month before ship date. Figure demos go through a similar certification run, and you're looking at something at least 2 months earlier than the final game.

While I agree with your assessment vs. Bayonetta, Yakuza is not a Bayonetta style game. I compare it more with GTA mixed with RPG elements. Imagine the world is like an RPG town, but there are random battles -- using brawler gameplay for the combat.

Your problem with the boss battle in the demo is par for the course with the out-of-context complaint I have for demos. In this game (at least Y1, which I've played a lot of), you start with a limited arsenal. As you progress, you learn new techniques, pick up moves, and basically work your way up in fighting. You didn't get that progression aspect in the demo.

I'm not saying Y3 will be the best game ever, or that demos suck all the time. I just think it's a tough game to demo, what with its open world and RPG elements.

[quote name='oni_saru_sensei']
hostess bars are definitely gonna be in the game. if sega didn't cut the hostess bars in the first two games, why would they in the third game.
[/QUOTE]

...Because it's Sega and they're trolls?

[quote name='whoknows']I'd be pissed if they took out the Hostess stuff. That was awesome fun.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Ecofreak']And the hostess section still exists because karaoke is confirmed. And you go karaoke with girls from hostess bars.

CASE CLOSED![/QUOTE]

Reading a bit on GAF, it looks like they suspect that the hostess *management* stuff is what is removed. So it would make sense that visiting/dating the hostesses is still in the game, and karaoke is still in the game. So your video proves nothing.

[quote name='ViolentLee']I'm not saying that specifically, but demos as a whole can fall in that category. Most games these days are tuning and tweaking up to about a month before ship date. Figure demos go through a similar certification run, and you're looking at something at least 2 months earlier than the final game.

While I agree with your assessment vs. Bayonetta, Yakuza is not a Bayonetta style game. I compare it more with GTA mixed with RPG elements. Imagine the world is like an RPG town, but there are random battles -- using brawler gameplay for the combat.

Your problem with the boss battle in the demo is par for the course with the out-of-context complaint I have for demos. In this game (at least Y1, which I've played a lot of), you start with a limited arsenal. As you progress, you learn new techniques, pick up moves, and basically work your way up in fighting. You didn't get that progression aspect in the demo.

I'm not saying Y3 will be the best game ever, or that demos suck all the time. I just think it's a tough game to demo, what with its open world and RPG elements.[/QUOTE]

I know it's not a Bayonetta style game, I was talking more about how the controls feel when you move the character and how "solid" controls feel. I wasn't talking about the genre of the game not being like Bayonetta.

Anywyay, the game has been out a year in Japan, so I'm kind of thinking that the game mechanics in the demo are probably closer to the real game than I was hoping.

With that said, I read the IGN preview of the game and I feel more confident that the demo didn't really give an accurate view of what the whole game is like. So, like I said, I'm still going to get the game. I will just need to get used to the controls. There must be some reason it has a cult following, and I just want to see what it is all about.

Here's the link I was talking about to the article.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1070602p1.html

that same demo has been out on the japanese psn for almost a year now, I don't think they cut anything out because that would be expensive and they already don't want to re invest anymore money into it coming to the US. All they did was Seriously add English subtitles. That games been out a year or 2? I don't understand why they insist on a 55 dollar price point. Those graphics where early ps3 at best.

[quote name='Cao Cao']It's official: They're taking out the hostess clubs (And an arcade Quiz game, Answer X Answer) for the US and EU releases.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1071367p1.html[/QUOTE]

:bomb::bomb::bomb:AND THE WORLD EXPLODES!!!:bomb::bomb::bomb:

From the IGN.COM article
"The content between Yakuza 3 US/UK and Yakuza JP is a little different in that we took out certain bits in order to bring the game to the west in the time alloted for us to do so. The parts we ended up taking out were parts that we felt wouldn't make sense (like a Japanese history quiz game) or wouldn't resonate as much (such as the concept of a hostess club)," the rep told IGN.

WTF kind of logic is that?! Wouldn't resonate?! What guy wouldn't love to manage his own hostess club?!

On a lighter note...
The good news? Even though the hostess clubs are out, you can still go on dates with the girls. Better news? The strip clubs are still in Yakuza 3, so plan on dropping some Yen there.

The only consolation I can think of is that I won't have to play the game late a night while my wife is asleep.

IGN also has a very positive video preview from a few days ago. I highly suggest anyone on the fence to watch it (or those still interested to begin frothing).

So you can date the girls?
So you can go to the clubs and do the whole present thing, and just not the 'manage a girl' side game?

I thought the only way to date them was to visit, and give your number.

So, I was right. The bolded part is PR-speak for "we didn't have the time/money to translate everything." So since they couldn't do everything, they took out the things that people would miss the least. Or, I guess in the case of the management sim, the things that were most expensive to bring over.

[quote name='Ecofreak']
"The content between Yakuza 3 US/UK and Yakuza JP is a little different in that we took out certain bits in order to bring the game to the west in the time alloted for us to do so. The parts we ended up taking out were parts that we felt wouldn't make sense (like a Japanese history quiz game) or wouldn't resonate as much (such as the concept of a hostess club)," the rep told IGN.
WTF kind of logic is that?! Wouldn't resonate?! What guy wouldn't love to manage his own hostess club?! [/QUOTE]

I'll just have to "lump it".
Still going to buy.

Shame it's missing, but not going to deny myself the game over 5% of material.
I spent about 30 minutes with the hostess club stuff in Y1, and very little so far in Y2.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Oh well. One less game to buy next month. I knew the game coming out here was too good to be true.[/QUOTE]

This. fuck Sega. I'm getting a little sick of their trolling.

Ridiculous. How much would it have really cost Sega to translate that portion of the game and delay the game until later? It shouldn't even be coming out right now, considering the competition.

[quote name='yukine']Ridiculous. How much would it have really cost Sega to translate that portion of the game and delay the game until later in the summer when it wouldn't face such fucking ridiculous competition? It shouldn't even be coming out right now, considering the competition.[/QUOTE]

fixed that for yeh.

I read up a bit more on the hostess clubs and I was actually getting pretty interested in the concept... guess I wasted my time.

So you can do meaningless things like date the girls and go watch strippers... but you can't run your own club, which would have added to the game's depth? Would it honestly have killed them to put a bit more time into the game?

If time was the only issue here, I'm sure Sega won't mind releasing the removed content as DLC in the future, for free. But seeing how they're treating this game, I think we all know the answer to that.

Sega really are trolls T_T

They just don't want to allow this game to sell at all

1) finally are bringing yakuza 3 after making us suffer with a "yes/no/maybe so"
2) they have a shitty box art which lots of ppl didn't like
3) they remove some content
4) Release date is on the same day as FFXIII and on the same month as other AAA games

and finally most likely, there will be no advertising for it T_T

fuck Sega!! they better not pull their "3rd game didn't sell well. Not our fault" because when you add all the mess ups they do, it will be their fault!

Still buying tho T_T I really want yakuza 4 to make it to the states.
Guess Ima import 3 for the full experience. Thanks fucking Sega!

[quote name='oni_saru_sensei']

Still buying tho T_T I really want yakuza 4 to make it to the states.[/QUOTE]
Why? So they release that one here too with even more missing content and an even worse release window? I hate to not buy the game, I loved the first two. But I refuse to support this.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Why? So they release that one here too with even more missing content and an even worse release window? I hate to not buy the game, I loved the first two. But I refuse to support this.[/QUOTE]

true that is a possibility. but still, I'd rather have the main story translated. for anything missing, I'll just import the game and play whatever I missed out (even tho this is a hassle. Hell, I'll use the import as reading practice. Need to brush up on Kanji)

But you know, considering all the shit Sega keeps pulling with the series, we're most likely not gonna see yakuza 4. damn shame. fuck Sega!!!!!

They just game a reason for people "not" to buy the game, before this I thought it was a obvious buy... Now I plan to get it used, Sorry Sega you had your chance.

[quote name='phantasyx']They just game a reason for people "not" to buy the game, before this I thought it was a obvious buy... Now I plan to get it used, Sorry Sega you had your chance.[/QUOTE]

Why am I not surprised you have a FATLUS icon?

[quote name='oni_saru_sensei']true that is a possibility. but still, I'd rather have the main story translated. for anything missing, I'll just import the game and play whatever I missed out (even tho this is a hassle. Hell, I'll use the import as reading practice. Need to brush up on Kanji)

But you know, considering all the shit Sega keeps pulling with the series, we're most likely not gonna see yakuza 4. damn shame. fuck Sega!!!!![/QUOTE]
Just wait for a used copy. That way you get the story and Sega gets no money.

[quote name='blackjaw']Meh, losing a history quiz and a hostess management sim doesn't dissuade me from buying the game. Still a day 1 buy for me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah same here.

I hear the cut out the ending They didn't think it was worth the time to translate it since we wouldn't have understood it anyways.

I'm as disappointed as everyone that the hostess portion has been taken out, but to hear so many people going out of their way to no longer buy the game? It seems like an extreme response, IMO.

The hostess portion in Yakuza 2 was worth ~3 hours of game time. It didn't add to the story, and not exactly a riveting experience (although certainly novel and enjoyable).

I'd totally understand the frustration if Sega removed the hostess section only to charge it as DLC later. But conducting a boycott on an already niche game isn't going to teach Sega any lesson besides "Well, guess we're not going to release Yakuza 4 -or- seriously reconsider future niche titles for Western release."

98.5% of the original game is still intact. Is it really worth the consternation for that 1.5%?

[quote name='Ecofreak']98.5% of the original game is still intact. Is it really worth the consternation for that 1.5%?[/QUOTE]
Yes. I'd rather not have the game then be dicked around.

Assuming everything that lost a trophy is cut, this is more than half of the "side content" in the game. It also renders particular shops, a significant amount of items, and particular locker keys useless, as well as fucking around with several missions (which I assume will be cut now). And yes, this officially makes the game shorter and smaller than Yakuza 2. This game is basically being brought out here solely for the hardcore crowd. The same crowd who would actually care about missing content and a release window that puts it smack in the middle of big name titles. This release is a slap in the face. One I'm not about to sit here and just take.

Not to mention they're charging full price for this, and I won't be getting a complete product.

Oh good lord, you people are nuts. Weren't some of you defending the demo just a few days ago? Get the freaking game and enjoy it; I'm sure there will be DLC later.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Not to mention they're charging full price for this, and I won't be getting a complete product.[/QUOTE]
The funny thing is, they're not. It's $55 on Amazon & Gamestop. So 92% of the price for 98.5% of the game. Don't let the truth get in the way of your bitching, though.

I'm not cancelling my pre-order, but it still ticked me off.

Just further evidence of the fact that Sega has no idea how to do business in the West anymore.

Will hostess clubs not appeal to the general American audience? Maybe not, though I'm sure many people would be intrigued by the concept at the very least. Do they appeal to the subset of people who were likely going to buy Yazuka 3? Absolutely.

Since Sega is making no real effort to make this game a success in the West anyway (examples of which many of you have already pointed out) why risk alienating the small number of Western consumers this game WILL have?

[quote name='Ecofreak']I'm as disappointed as everyone that the hostess portion has been taken out, but to hear so many people going out of their way to no longer buy the game? It seems like an extreme response, IMO.
98.5% of the original game is still intact. Is it really worth the consternation for that 1.5%?[/QUOTE]
What really pissed me off is the message. If SEGA simply told me that for a niche game, cutting some elements not essential to the main story would be the cost difference between doing the project, and taking a pass, I would be fine with it. Telling me that hostess bars don't 'resonate' with me however, is condescending and pisses me right off.

This is, as they admit, a niche product. It's not marketed for, aimed at, or wanted by, the Madden and GTA set. Grab every person you can find that said "Hey!!! Bring number 3 across the pond and I'll buy it!!!" and ask them what a "hostess bar" is about. How many do you think will say "Hmm.... no idea, that doesn't resonate with me....."? Seriously, the people that WANT this game have a pretty good idea what it's about. If they were such clueless Japanophobes, I'm thinking the subtitles would be a bigger deal than the hostess bars.

[quote name='Revenantae']What really pissed me off is the message. If SEGA simply told me that for a niche game, cutting some elements not essential to the main story would be the cost difference between doing the project, and taking a pass, I would be fine with it. Telling me that hostess bars don't 'resonate' with me however, is condescending and pisses me right off.
[/QUOTE]

Just further proof that Sega sucks at PR. I also wouldn't have had a problem if they'd said "this is a financial decision and cutting some parts is how we can afford to release it in the West when we don't anticipate it selling well." In fact, I'd be grateful that they were doing what it took to get it over here. And the crazy part is, it's 99% likely that this IS the reason the parts were cut, and nothing to do with "resonating" with Westerners.

So instead of giving an explanation that fans might not like but would certainly understand and accept, they condescend to their audience with a fabricated explanation when it was completely unnecessary for them to do so.

Smooth, Sega, smooth.

[quote name='Paco']Why am I not surprised you have a FATLUS icon?[/QUOTE]
I took that on picture on location Sir.

If they take out Majong... OH man! I will send them an email a day requesting it.. they didn't just say Hostess and Quiz show people DON'T FORGET ABOUT MAHJONG! WE NEED THAT! I'm sure they cut more stuff then we are aware of, if we all go and complain they could potentially push back the release date.

We all know that this game isn't going to sell well, this is no fucking GTA, Crackdown or any other sand box game. So please don't expect Yakuza 4, thats not happening. This will sell maybe like 60,000 copies. The point of the game is to immerse yourself in the mini-games and environment, the hostess section was seriously the tip of the hat, they even were bragging about how good it was in some Japanese review I read.

This is the SAME as when I heard that Final Fantasy 13 had no towns to explore.

[quote name='pete5883']The funny thing is, they're not. It's $55 on Amazon & Gamestop. So 92% of the price for 98.5% of the game. Don't let the truth get in the way of your bitching, though.[/QUOTE]
$5 off! I'm getting it now!

You and Sega can go fuck yourselves.

bread's done
Back