YMMV- Gamestop and Best Buy are receiving NES Classics. UPDATED

Because a Ferrari is easily comparable to a cheap little $60 toy, amirite? Anyone? Bueller?
movie-car-ferris-bueller.gif

Can I put one in a Chevy Cavalier?
Dude once they start licensing their designs to everyone, you can put one in a Yugo for all they care.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why Nintendo needs to exit the gaming hardware business permanently; they have no idea what they are doing, and are alienating a lot of people. No way would I buy a Switch from this company after the poor way they've handled the NES Classic.
I know your stance on Nintendo is well documented, but humor me on this. If the reason for cancelling the classic was in part to free up production in attempt to meet demand for the Switch later this year (they doubled their sales projections at the end of March) would you still prefer they make the classic over the Switch? Nintendo probably only has so many manufacturing deals to go around. Is under producing a product (either intentionally or unintentionally) really enough to say they have no idea what they are doing? Especially when the product is desired? Of course things could be better, but that is not what you seem to think.

Also, I know you don't seem to like it, but the general consensus on the classic was that it was a well made little device. It is a good value to a lot of people, and it handled emulation better than anything Nintendo has put out before. It can even be "easily" expanded for cheap to included hundreds of more games. Yes the included controllers are short. Yes supply was bad.

I mean, going from "not everyone who wanted a classic could get one" to "I would never buy a Switch because of this" is a stretch. Switches will be made for years, and yes 3rd party support will be less than the console that is well set in the market for over 3 years. Unless you mean to include everything else you probably don't like about Nintendo to come to your conclusion, which would make total sense.

I feel I should not have to say this, but just in case. Yes I wish there were more classics. It gives people some fun and a nostalgia shot. Of course I would want people to have their inexpensive device to bring them a little happiness.

This is why Nintendo needs to exit the gaming hardware business permanently; they have no idea what they are doing, and are alienating a lot of people. No way would I buy a Switch from this company after the poor way they've handled the NES Classic.
Exit? Really? Let's see, they dominate the handheld market and constantly have new 3DS games that are in the monthly top sales. They release a rebranded old console that constantly sells out and is still one of the top selling products (in many countries). They may have had lackluster sales for the Wii U but those few games released on it still sold very well along with their 3DS sales.

Nintendo is doing just fine without peoples new found business insights.

My nearest Best Buy was making a killing this morning selling Insignia controllers along side the NES Classic.
Yeah, some people were coming in and buying them without even buying an NES when I got my console this morning.

Those are harder to get than the consoles. I haven't even seen an official standalone controller yet.
I haven't seen them since the first wave last year.

If possible, yes. But that will probably end up as a disaster as well.

Still, I'm hoping that the Switch bombs hard (which looks pretty likely based on the almost nonexistent 3rd party support), so Nintendo can get out of the hardware business for good. They really don't know how to deliver solid products anymore, most of their stuff is gimmicky junk.
The Switch is still hard to find and in Japan it sells out instantly. It's doing great so far.

If Nintendo does indeed put out an SNES (which I'm still skeptical about given many of those 16 bit titles still hold up very well today), it'll probably be priced higher than the NES.

Also, I would expect Nintendo to close the pirating loophole by using a proprietary power plug so as to make it a whole lot harder to plug the device into your computer.  That would be an easy and quick way to make modding the system much much harder for casual consumers.

Frankly, I still think Nintendo releasing a mini SNES doesn't make sense.  Why bother with it when you're selling Switches, and especially why bother when virtual console is the way to sell these games for the 900th time to your customer base?

If Nintendo does indeed put out an SNES (which I'm still skeptical about given many of those 16 bit titles still hold up very well today), it'll probably be priced higher than the NES.

Also, I would expect Nintendo to close the pirating loophole by using a proprietary power plug so as to make it a whole lot harder to plug the device into your computer. That would be an easy and quick way to make modding the system much much harder for casual consumers.

Frankly, I still think Nintendo releasing a mini SNES doesn't make sense. Why bother with it when you're selling Switches, and especially why bother when virtual console is the way to sell these games for the 900th time to your customer base?
I don't know if they'd try to combat piracy in that way, I think an actual hard-wired power cord or at least normal AC adapter instead of USB is more likely. I'm pretty sure the main reason the Wii Mini removed SD card support was because of piracy.

As for SNES Classic, it's guaranteed to sell out so has zero risk. It lines up more with their reason for making mobile games, which is mainly to promote their IP to people unfamiliar with it or long lapsed. Pokemon Sun and Moon definitely got a HUGE boost in sales due to Pokemon Go. While the NES Classic did have some negative buzz because of the difficulty to actually get one, it did get plenty of people talking about Nintendo that are normally not in the realm of discussion we have here and on other gaming sites. If anything, I think SNES could have a broader affect with it's more advanced and better looking games, and more directly appealing to people in their mid 20s to early 30s, many of whom have younger kids that may be more familiar with phone trash than Nintendo

For any of you who thought you had a rough day yesterday, listen to this person's story..

"BEST BUY LOST MY NES! This is concerning the April 24 release. I was at Best Buy in West Melbourne, FL on Sunday night from 9:00pm until they gave out vouchers at 7:30am. They told us to come back between 10:00am and 11:00am to pick them up. There was a long line when I came to pick it up and when they got to me, the told me that my NES disappeared and that they are sorry and they had none left. So, either an employee sold one without a voucher to a friend or them self, or it was stolen. SUCH a disappointment after being in line for almost 12 hours and sleeping outside on Sunday night, THEN having to come in to work late Monday and still no NES because Best Buy can't keep it together. My voucher had the number one on it. I was first in line Sunday night."

that's what you get for waiting in line to be first, then waiting to pay last, dummy. 

additional people were waiting around until 11 at most stores in case someone with a ticket didn't come back to buy it in time. 

For any of yoh who thought you had a rough day yesterday, listen to this..

"BEST BUY LOST MY NES! This is concerning the April 24 release. I was at Best Buy in West Melbourne, FL on Sunday night from 9:00pm until they gave out vouchers at 7:30am. They told us to come back between 10:00am and 11:00am to pick them up. There was a long line when I came to pick it up and when they got to me, the told me that my NES disappeared and that they are sorry and they had none left. So, either an employee sold one without a voucher to a friend or them self, or it was stolen. SUCH a disappointment after being in line for almost 12 hours and sleeping outside on Sunday night, THEN having to come in to work late Monday and still no NES because Best Buy can't keep it together. My voucher had the number one on it. I was first in line Sunday night."
Wow that's really messed up.

Heads Up Guys. Keep Checking Amazon. Some third parties are on there that are selling it low. I just bought one last night 12:00AM PST for $119.00. Don't give up guys you'll find one.

Heads Up Guys. Keep Checking Amazon. Some third parties are on there that are selling it low. I just bought one last night 12:00AM PST for $119.00. Don't give up guys you'll find one.
LOL you do know there's a lot of scam artists pretending to sell NES Classics at a low price on Amazon right? You'll get something in the mail, just not an NES Classic. Good luck!!!

For any of you who thought you had a rough day yesterday, listen to this person's story..

While this sucks and all, I wonder if this person got there are 10:55 and one of the people in front of them got up to the front and it was like 11:01. In that case Best Buy did nothing wrong.

"but it's a xerox'd piece of paper.  that's just as good as a NES classic."

maybe someone wised up and started bringing a copy machine in their car to these events.

While this sucks and all, I wonder if this person got there are 10:55 and one of the people in front of them got up to the front and it was like 11:01. In that case Best Buy did nothing wrong.
From what she said, that didn't happen.

"16 vouchers were given out. I returned at 10:35am. Got to the counter at 10:51am. He took my name and number and said they would call me if they "find" it. He said there is nothing he can do except investigate what happened and call me back. No gift card. They were very casual about it and there was absolutely no real remedy."

LOL you do know there's a lot of scam artists pretending to sell NES Classics at a low price on Amazon right? You'll get something in the mail, just not an NES Classic. Good luck!!!
Well if that's the case Amazon will be getting a call and a refund. Per there policy they are responsible for all sellers on there site. So regardless i am protected.

"16 vouchers were given out. I returned at 10:35am. Got to the counter at 10:51am. He took my name and number and said they would call me if they "find" it. He said there is nothing he can do except investigate what happened and call me back. No gift card. They were very casual about it and there was absolutely no real remedy."
Did you consider burning the store down? I think that might make you feel better in the short term at least. The worst part is that the person giving you that bs excuse is possibly the one who actually stole your system.

Thats bogus. I would still be raising hell.

I feel no sorrow for the fool.

In any case she's an idiot for leaving. You don't camp out for something and then leave as the store is opening. Can't believe some people are blaming the store over this level of stupidity. Half of people take absolutely no responsibility for anything that happens to them these days.

They probably sold the last one as first come, first serve. Just as they were supposed to do, according to some gaming press releases.

Well if that's the case Amazon will be getting a call and a refund. Per there policy they are responsible for all sellers on there site. So regardless i am protected.
You gave your personal information to a scammer that was collecting personal information. Don't buy listings that are obviously too good to be true. No good can come of it.

if I was trying to get a hot ticket item like a Classic, I definitely would not get a voucher and then leave the store, I'd stick around til I got the thing

In any case she's an idiot for leaving. You don't camp out for something and then leave as the store is opening. Can't believe some people are blaming the store over this level of stupidity. Half of people take absolutely no responsibility for anything that happens to them these days.

They probably sold it first come, first serve. Just as they were supposed to do, according to some gaming press releases.
They gave tickets for a reason. Why shouldn't he be allowed to leave and come back? He expected Best Buy to stay true to their word stating to arrive between 10am-11am to pick up his console. He probably had to eat and take a massive dump after waiting in line for 9+ hours.

Any recommendations on a good controller for the NES classic for under $20? Preferably at GS so I can use trade credit. I sold the controller that came with mine since it was going for $50-90 and I couldn't resist the idea of getting the console for pretty much free. I've already got a classic controller and a crappy PDP pseudo Gamecube controller, so a NES-looking one would be pretty cool.

On another note, installing new games (even from other systems!) is pretty easy. I love that I now have a tiny dedicated machine I can use to play Super Mario All-Stars, Pokemon Puzzle Challenge, Tetris Attack, and Paper Mario among others.

They gave tickets for a reason. Why shouldn't he be allowed to leave and come back? He expected Best Buy to stay true to their word stating to arrive between 10am-11am to pick up his console. He probably had to eat and take a massive dump after waiting in line for 9+ hours.
...Best Buy to stay true to their word... :rofl:

They probably sold it first come, first serve. Just as they were supposed to do, according to some gaming press releases.
I feel no sorrow for the fool.
Well at least we know what kind of asshole took your system since they determined you didn't deserve it. FFS people they had they ticket at 7:30 and you think they should just sit there with their thumb up their ass for an extra 2.5 hours. I know the internet is not a place to look for reasonable comments, but come on people.

Well at least we know what kind of asshole took your system since they determined you didn't deserve it. FFS people they had they ticket at 7:30 and you think they should just sit there with their thumb up their ass for an extra 2.5 hours. I know the internet is not a place to look for reasonable comments, but come on people.
I get what you are saying, but from my perspective the ticket is not the product. I stayed in my spot in line, even after most of the others left, with my ticket in hand. I see the ticket more as a I-don't-have-to-run-through-the-door-frantically as they open. It's more of a security / safety measure really. I had already been waiting 2.5 hours until 8:30am - another 1.5 hours for me was nothing. Plus it was fun BSing with fellow gamers. But then again, I've worked a retail job in the past similar to Best Buy and I know how clumsy things can get with retail promises and expectations. If I am first in line and there is an issue with one of the copies, there is plenty of product left to release to me.

This unfortunate person was actually a girl I think, but anyways she could've left at 730am after tickets were handed out but if it were me I'd be back at the store 5 minutes before opening just to make sure there's no shenanigans.

I don't get why some people over night camp on yesterday. I drove to my local bestbuy (10 mins away) from my house at 7:30AM Monday, by 8AM they pass out the ticket and I was number 18th. First, I thought there is NO chance in hell I can get the ticket due to the limited stock(s). But a friend of mine told me try to stay a bit see what will happen. So finally I got my ticket and then I left the place .. come back the bestbuy 10 mins before open .. to make sure no bastard can take or sell my unit lol .. I was the first one walk into the store .. direct to customer service desk .. pay the cash .. take the unit .. !!!!

I don't get why some people over night camp on yesterday. I drove to my local bestbuy (10 mins away) from my house at 7:30AM Monday, by 8AM they pass out the ticket and I was number 18th. First, I thought there is NO chance in hell I can get the ticket due to the limited stock(s). But a friend of mine told me try to stay a bit see what will happen. So finally I got my ticket and then I left the place .. come back the bestbuy 10 mins before open .. to make sure no bastard can take or sell my unit lol .. I was the first one walk into the store .. direct to customer service desk .. pay the cash .. take the unit .. !!!!
It varies by location, some Bestbuy stores only got 3 to 7 units. And you never know when people will show up.

The foolish part is camping outside a store overnight for anything.

I get what you are saying, but from my perspective the ticket is not the product. I stayed in my spot in line, even after most of the others left, with my ticket in hand. I see the ticket more as a I-don't-have-to-run-through-the-door-frantically as they open. It's more of a security / safety measure really. I had already been waiting 2.5 hours until 8:30am - another 1.5 hours for me was nothing. Plus it was fun BSing with fellow gamers. But then again, I've worked a retail job in the past similar to Best Buy and I know how clumsy things can get with retail promises and expectations. If I am first in line and there is an issue with one of the copies, there is plenty of product left to release to me.
True, it was a ticket to be first to purchase, not a preorder. The company didn't have to give tickets out, it was a generous thing to do but by no means necessary. If I was desperate enough to camp outside a store, I would have came back well before they opened and made sure employees knew I had a ticket. It was made very clear at the store I went to that only those with tickets would get one. Everyone else was told there were "none left, sorry" long before this 3 hour window story came out.

True, it was a ticket to be first to purchase, not a preorder. The company didn't have to give tickets out, it was a generous thing to do but by no means necessary. If I was desperate enough to camp outside a store, I would have came back well before they opened and made sure employees knew I had a ticket. It was made very clear at the store I went to that only those with tickets would get one. Everyone else was told there were "none left, sorry" long before this mythical 3 hour window story came about.
The tickets themselves said that the unit would be held for 3 hours after open for the person that had the ticket.

Best Buy fucked up.

Yea it literally said on everyone's ticket that they had a 3 hour window to claim their item from event start.

I went back to my Best Buy right before open just to avoid scenarios like that girls because I don't trust retail employees.

Who's dumber- the person who camps for 12 hours to buy a toy or the people who say they'd camp longer even if they had a pass to go home.

That's a lot of dumb.

that's what you get for waiting in line to be first, then waiting to pay last, dummy.

additional people were waiting around until 11 at most stores in case someone with a ticket didn't come back to buy it in time.
"but it's a xerox'd piece of paper. that's just as good as a NES classic."

maybe someone wised up and started bringing a copy machine in their car to these events.

You gave your personal information to a scammer that was collecting personal information. Don't buy listings that are obviously too good to be true. No good can come of it.
0686.png
Hot Take Alert ^

A copy machine wouldn't really help [the copier], because if the Best Buy worker is doing their job (like so many did nationwide), they would match their ticket up with the respectively numbered system. Tickets are numbered, systems are numbered, that way someone can't make a bunch of copies of their ticket. Tickets were also numbered and initialed in highlighter, which would not show up well even if copied in color.

That Best Buy screwed up - the customer did what they were supposed to do.

Tell her to take the story to media outlets. Kotaku loves a slow news day to champion a cause and if enough sites pick it up, better believe she'll end up getting an NESC from BB as damage control.

Definitely a screw up on the stores part, my store handled it well, not only did our store hand out tickets but they took all of our names down with what # ticket and system we were getting

bread's done
Back