YMMV My Best Buy Mystery Rewards Certificate

Not being able to use these online sucks. I now have to order something ship-to-store, return it, and then buy it back with the cert because it's not in stock at my store, lol

The odds of even one poster getting more then 5 are beyond low. Remember, there’s 18 million emails being sent and of that (17,970,804) are for $5 Offer Certificate: An Offer Certificate valid for $5 off the purchase

Never got one and have been an elite member for years.
Yeah, I came to post this. I am elite plus year in and year out and they have never gifted me a dime. This may be the first year I qualify for neither elite or elite plus and just stop shopping there.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's too bad that they can't be used online. I guess I get that it is intended to get people into the stores, where impulse purchases and upselling are more likely to happen. It's an hour drive to the closest Best Buy to me though, so I don't know that two hours roundtrip is worth the $5 to me. Maybe if I still had GCU I'd go try to find something to pick up but my purchases from Best Buy since about this time last year have been limited to pretty much a PS Classic over the summer for $20 and DoA 6 this month.

Not being able to use these online sucks. I now have to order something ship-to-store, return it, and then buy it back with the cert because it's not in stock at my store, lol
or just goto the store and let them order it for you and use the certificate in store at the time of purchase? theyll ship it to your house.

side note i think you can use these for currency cards eg $10 psn card or ebay cards but not subscription stuff xbox live gold or psn plus its that or the other way around i cant remember

side note i think you can use these for currency cards eg $10 psn card or ebay cards but not subscription stuff xbox live gold or psn plus its that or the other way around i cant remember
Other way around, they don't work on the currency cards.

No cert for me. I made Elite Plus by February this year, so guessing either I haven't gotten mine yet or this is being sent to users who haven't bought much this year.

I'm also Elite Plus and didn't get a certificate, just like every year.
I've been Elite Plus by midyear for the last 5 years and never received these emails, like others here. This year I won't even make Elite and I got one, so I think you're right, they're targeting folks who aren't spending as much there.

Reward certificates can no longer be used on any point of sale activation (POSA) cards. I tried a couple weeks ago.
Yeah, tried my luck last night since someone had posted elsewhere that they got $100 despite being the code everyone has but no dice. Just means I'll have to return, repurchase something soon. *sigh*

I've been Elite Plus by midyear for the last 5 years and never received these emails, like others here. This year I won't even make Elite and I got one, so I think you're right, they're targeting folks who aren't spending as much there.
I believe I remember hearing that their official stance is these are randomly generated to all customers, but in reality it does seem that the highest spenders and most loyal customers always get shafted.

Another $5 for me. I combined it with my existing $5 code and picked up Disgaea 1 Complete on the Switch for $20 so good deal to me.

Looks like I didn't get a certificate this year. For the past 4 or 5 years I'd always get one on the dot. I think it's because I have $5 worth of rewards already that I've been saving up.

Got a 5167 and it was $20. Used it on Medievil and got it for $10

I have 11 promotional emails (14 total) from them in the span of 7 days and none of them were a mystery reward.
https://www.bestbuy.com/profile/c/cp/emailSubscriptions Check there to make sure General Marketing is set to Yes, sign me up. Mine had been flipped to either one per week or no thanks at some point last year and I didn't get the email. I flipped it to Yes when I checked last year after the emails had gone out and got it this time. I had gotten them before then as well. If yours is already set to Yes, sign me up, then it won't do any good.

Went to use my $5 mystery cert on some $18 earbuds and the cashier used my 10%-off birthday month on them without asking and to top it off the $5 cert didn't get applied after he scanned the barcode on my phone. Ended up getting a $5 refund at customer service but it was still a hassle. Not sure if the birthday coupon comes off automatically in-store (you can choose to apply it online) so be wary if you have a coupon and want to make a smaller in-store purchase but want to save the coupon for a game like I did. 

Yeah super close to Elite Plus and no email here. I think my peeps at the BB I go to would be highly offended that I didn't get one lol. Spent enough damn money there in the last 6 months!!!

Hmm, maybe to add in my experience thus far. The last time I've gotten a mystery cert was in 2014, if I'm looking at my emails right. Between that time and now, I've made to Elite for a year, and had GCU for four years, which expired in Jan 2019, and my spending there has dropped significantly, besides ordering a special edition here and there (Fate: Extella Link and Fire Emblem Three Houses this year). This year, I got a cert. I guess take this how you will. Is it to get people who hasn't spent as much into the door? I'd think so as well.

I don't think there's any science to who gets what. We're all just speculating. I've shopped no different this year than others (besides lack of GCU) and still get the same old $5 cert

I've been Elite or Elite Plus (depending on the year) since GCU started.  I've gotten the $5 certificate at least once or twice.  I haven't gotten one for quite a while.  So, I'd have to agree that there's not much of a science to this.  I think it's pretty random.

On a different note, I do get a bizarre amount of 50% off coupons from Papa Murphy's.  I usually stock up on 8-10 pizzas and freeze them.

Yeah super close to Elite Plus and no email here. I think my peeps at the BB I go to would be highly offended that I didn't get one lol. Spent enough damn money there in the last 6 months!!!
Being close to Elite Plus doesn't mean shit. I'm at $10k spent this year and have been for the last 3+ years and never gotten one lol

I looked at my Best Buy account and have spent well over the amount for elite plus and no mail coupon again.

Oh well, when my GCU runs out, Amazon will get my money.

Being close to Elite Plus doesn't mean shit. I'm at $10k spent this year and have been for the last 3+ years and never gotten one lol

I was elite plus 2 years in a row and ever since they got rid of gamers club unlocked I haven't even spent 200 dollars there this year according to the graph on my account page. And I've never gotten one.

It's random who gets the reward as far as I can tell.  I've been Elite, Elite Plus and regular member and gotten the Reward and not gotten the Reward on each membership level.  How much you spend does not have any affect if you get a Reward, as least for me.

Another warning, if you price match something they won't allow the Mystery Reward.

At least that was what the BB I went to told me.

Didn't bother to check, but I bet it was worth $5.00 like others said based on the code's ending.

... UGH, you can't use it online, and most of the stuff I am remotely interested are not in stock anywhere near me.

Guess I will wait until next week to see what is on sale.

I've noticed throughout the past that the people who spent the least amount of money or ghost accounts are the ones to get the free certificates. I presume it's to drive business to people who wouldn't normally come in. Same idea as offering new customers better deals than long time customers.

I've noticed throughout the past that the people who spent the least amount of money or ghost accounts are the ones to get the free certificates. I presume it's to drive business to people who wouldn't normally come in. Same idea as offering new customers better deals than long time customers.
I think it's just random and some are unfortunately unlucky every time. I have been Elite Plus for the last 3 years due to putting nearly everything on my Best Buy credit card for extra reward points and I have gotten the mystery certs at least 2 out of those 3 years including this year.

I think it's just random and some are unfortunately unlucky every time. I have been Elite Plus for the last 3 years due to putting nearly everything on my Best Buy credit card for extra reward points and I have gotten the mystery certs at least 2 out of those 3 years including this year.

I've been a Best Buy member over at least 20 years now through the various programs. I can legitimately recall one time in two decades I got a mystery certificate and it was for $5. And right now they owe me $100 in RZ certificates that I expect I will have to fight for.

It's funny seeing people bragging about spending over $10,000 a year at Best Buy but are bitching about not getting a $5 certificate.
I looked at my account today. I use my Best Buy credit card for various things and it works towards Elite Plus. I have spent well over $10k on it again this year and the same as last year no random certificate.

Im not mad, I just know that when GCU stops, my Best Buy credit card will essentially never be used and I will rarely step foot in there.

The best thing though was when I bought my deep freezer for $4.99 plus tax after using around $750 in certificates.

It's funny seeing people bragging about spending over $10,000 a year at Best Buy but are bitching about not getting a $5 certificate.
A free $5 is a free $5. Doesn't mean the people spending 10K are super rich and can't use another $5....

You do realize when you use a BBY CC, no matter where you buy stuff, it counts towards your Elite Plus for the year. I would never spend $10k at Best Buy solely lol

bread's done
Back