You can't lock the OTT until a new one is created!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This damn rain. I was looking forward to today being dry, when all this rain was supposed to come yesterday like they called for all week which it never did. Ugh...I really need a new job so I can get out of shitty weather days like this. And my luck, they'll ask me to stay even longer tonight if I'm already there. How about fuck no. I'm already wet and miserable. $7.50 for a few extra hours won't fix that.

[quote name='crunchewy']My 10 year old writes better poetry then the college students in my wife's class (I mean, that she teaches). No, really. We had no idea, but I guess it's in the blood. He wrote an awesome poem about lightning at school where there's a visiting poet this week, so they're doing poetry. Very creative stuff even though he's never written any poetry, nor does he read any. It's not a shock that he's writing better stuff then the college students, though. It seems that college students these days, perhaps some of you here can comment, are complete asses. The text/game in class. They leave early. They arrive late. They basically don't give a shit and they also don't seem to have a clue. Then they complain when they don't get an A, and she's an easy, easy grader. Grades are pretty much just based on showing up, participating and generally not being an ass, something that these kids seem to have a hard time avoiding being. EDIT: well, not all of them are like this, but it does seem to be a common thread....[/QUOTE]

What kind of college?
Something really technical?
If most kids are taking your wife's class as an elective, that could be the issue. They need a "writing credit" or something and they think it will be an easier class than public speaking or philosophy 101 or something?

[quote name='corrosivefrost']What kind of college?
Something really technical?
If most kids are taking your wife's class as an elective, that could be the issue. They need a "writing credit" or something and they think it will be an easier class than public speaking or philosophy 101 or something?[/QUOTE]

It's a university, that describes itself as having degrees in liberal arts and sciences, and applied professional fields. It's a pretty good school.

[quote name='crunchewy']It's a university, that describes itself as having degrees in liberal arts and sciences, and applied professional fields. It's a pretty good school.[/QUOTE]

FWIW, I was mostly bored during college classes and looking to do something else... if I had a laptop to take to class, I probably would've played games a lot of the time, but it depended on the class. If the chemistry professor was talking about something I already felt I understood, yeah, I'd do something different. But I never usually skipped. Not unless I had a decent reason.

At my University, since it was engineering and science focused, all the kids hated the liberal arts type classes and only took them when they were forced to for curriculum requirements. If you take a MechE or CompE and try to make them write about literature? Odds are you're not going to get spectacular results. :)

A lot of kids probably *are* d-bags though.

I don't go to class as often as I should, but I get decent grades and act fairly respectful towards most faculty member. There are people that sit in the front row of classes and just surf the web, though. I love how those people think they are sly enough to get away with it when it is overly obvious that they aren't paying attention.

I don't think my seemingly punching bag status here has anything to do with how stupid or clueless I am; it's more to do with the fact that I'm a relative new guy here and am not part of the OTT clique but continue to post here anyway.

I'm seen much worse on other forums.

[quote name='Eviltude']I don't go to class as often as I should, but I get decent grades and act fairly respectful towards most faculty member. There are people that sit in the front row of classes and just surf the web, though. I love how those people think they are sly enough to get away with it when it is overly obvious that they aren't paying attention.[/QUOTE]

There's one kid in her class that spends 100% of the time, every class, with his phone below his desk. He denies he's texting/surfing. He says he's "taking notes".

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Day 40. If everything goes as expected I'll be told that for the next six days I'll be working 13.5 hours. Joy.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like fun. Is the game you're testing at least a good one this time?

[quote name='crunchewy']There's one kid in her class that spends 100% of the time, every class, with his phone below his desk. He denies he's texting/surfing. He says he's "taking notes".[/QUOTE]

I used to play solitaire on a palm pilot in one of my smaller classes and used that "taking notes" excuse. Good God, Rhetoric was fucking boring. :lol:

Mostly I'd sit in the back row of the lecture hall so I'd not be noticed as prominently if I was doing something rude. For the record, my combined GPA for my two undergrad degrees was something like a 3.71. I can't help it -- if the class isn't engaging, I get bored reaaaaally quick and need to find something to do.

[quote name='2DMention']I don't think my seemingly punching bag status here has anything to do with how stupid or clueless I am; it's more to do with the fact that I'm a relative new guy here and am not part of the OTT clique but continue to post here anyway.

I'm seen much worse on other forums.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Make sure you let us know what it was when your NDA is up. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Oh I will.

At the very least, it isn't as bad as LiPs was. At least here I can listen to my own music.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']The wife told me she wants to breed. How can I sabotage this in a way that doesn't involve microwaving my dick?[/QUOTE]
Soak your jewels in a hot water sitz-bath before hand.

[quote name='DT778']If I remember correctly, Cheapy let threads go past 500 with CAG 2.0 but then the programmer told him it was best to keep them at 500.[/QUOTE]
It's hard to remember what this place looked like before CAG 2.0. I have a few screenshots on my desktop, it's always surprising to see.

[quote name='Chika']That was way, way back in the day :booty:

It's hard to believe now:cry:[/QUOTE]
It's gone back and forth, which is odd. I left the OTT for a while like 2 years ago and when I came back it was slow as hell, like now, but it eventually picked up again and we had the Jake/DP/GGT Rivalry days. Who knew I would miss those days now...

[quote name='crunchewy']It seems that college students these days, perhaps some of you here can comment, are complete asses.[/quote]
Maybe.

The text/game in class.
Yes. I do this regularly. Only in large lectures though. Not small classrooms. In fact, I'm in class right now.

They leave early. They arrive late.
I don't do this, but it's surprisingly common for that to happen in all of my classes. A few minutes late, whatever, but people who arrive after 20 minutes or leave after 30, why even bother?

They basically don't give a shit and they also don't seem to have a clue. Then they complain when they don't get an A.
In my experience, yes, but I suppose it varies by school. UF is ridiculously competitive. Something like ~35 percent of applicants get in, and as a result, a large majority of the students come in with most of their gen eds completed already from AP/IB/Dual Enrollment courses. It sounds nice, but really, you just get a whole lot of kids who breezed through high school without breaking a sweat and are totally unprepared for college and have no idea how to study. It's kind of funny, because you need to exhibit academic prowess in order to gain admission to the college, but you soon learn that it's almost a detriment to have been so very successful in high school since you don't know how to handle it here.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']How hot?[/QUOTE]
I saw a documentary on this in college- and I had to Google it:
"45 minutes, at a temperature of 116 F daily, for a period of 3 weeks.
This treatment results in sterility which lasts for at least 6 months. After that time, normal fertility returns." (from a 1962 text).

IIRC it's not as effective as once thought, but it does work to a degree. They were doing this actively in several former Soviet republics as cheap BC.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Sweet, got two day notice this time: Ten hour days start Thursday for the next two weeks. Cake.[/QUOTE]

Avatar Kinect is on a strict deadline.

[quote name='seanr1221']Avatar Kinect is on a strict deadline.[/QUOTE]

I am (luckily) no longer at Microsoft.

Also I just found one of the funniest bugs ever. I think I may succeed in making the dev's head explode with this.

[quote name='crunchewy']My 10 year old writes better poetry then the college students in my wife's class (I mean, that she teaches). No, really. We had no idea, but I guess it's in the blood. He wrote an awesome poem about lightning at school where there's a visiting poet this week, so they're doing poetry. Very creative stuff even though he's never written any poetry, nor does he read any. It's not a shock that he's writing better stuff then the college students, though. It seems that college students these days, perhaps some of you here can comment, are complete asses. The text/game in class. They leave early. They arrive late. They basically don't give a shit and they also don't seem to have a clue. Then they complain when they don't get an A, and she's an easy, easy grader. Grades are pretty much just based on showing up, participating and generally not being an ass, something that these kids seem to have a hard time avoiding being. EDIT: well, not all of them are like this, but it does seem to be a common thread....[/QUOTE]

Who gives a shit? It's not public school. They pay to be there. If they want to flush that money down the shitter, that's up to them. As long as they're not bothering people who actually want to learn, I'd say it's none of your damn business what they do.

It's hard to remember what this place looked like before CAG 2.0. I have a few screenshots on my desktop, it's always surprising to see.
I still remember the multi quote box from the early, early cag days. That thing would get ridiculously long.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']. . . and I just got scammed with the $299 Kinect 250GB bundle thing at sears.[/QUOTE]

What?

It was posted here and on SD.
It was a market-place seller using the name "Sears."
So when you reviewed the order and item it said "This item is being sold by Sears."

. . and customer service wont cancel a market place order, you have to contact the seller.

[quote name='seanr1221']I didn't even know there were 3rd party sellers on Sears.com[/QUOTE]

I think he means some Amazon Marketplace seller created an account named "Sears".

I almost just ended my life when I saw what the nuka-cola challenge reward was. Bitch hyped it up way too much and I didn't want to do it, but the special reward made me keep searchin'. Now I know why I skipped alot of the side quests the first time around. Also did Agatha's Song, which IMO, is the best side quest cause of the radio station you get. No more wacky black bro, no more enclave.

Yeah, the radio was pretty awful. The same damn songs over and over and over again. fuck that shit. I usually just turned it off.

I need to get New Vegas but I'm starting to get sick of all the FPS games. It seems like it's all I ever play anymore.

Oh, and I know I said I liked Homefront before, but I finished it in a day. Good thing a friend let me borrow it...I would have been pissed if I had paid $60 for that.

Vegas is really cheap now. Press LB to go into third person mode and make it a fresh experience! (I'm sick of FPS, too)

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Yeah, the radio was pretty awful. The same damn songs over and over and over again. fuck that shit. I usually just turned it off.

I need to get New Vegas but I'm starting to get sick of all the FPS games. It seems like it's all I ever play anymore.

Oh, and I know I said I liked Homefront before, but I finished it in a day. Good thing a friend let me borrow it...I would have been pissed if I had paid $60 for that.[/QUOTE]

Play them now, because you won't be able to play FPS while you're changing diapers.

[quote name='zewone']Its just a pamphlet with 10 blank pages and a handful of autobot stickers. NY best seller.[/QUOTE]
fuck you. I choked on my water from trying not to spit it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back