You guys want the truth about GS? Ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off I would like to say I'm sorry for the rambling. I will try to stop posting messages when I am tired.

I didn't mean that if a store (local or not) gives you bad service, you should still shop there. You shouldn't, I don't. If given a choice between local or online, I choose local (or my back up is DFW).

Believe me, one of the things I care the most about is customer service. In my nearly 6 years of retail, and 4 of which was managment I have not had a customer I couldn't please (now I state, there are a couple that have had unreasonable requests that I was unable to fulfill, i.e. someone wanting to return a tv a year after he had it because he just decided he didn't want it.).

When I give an interview to a potential applicant, there is a question "how would describe exceptional customer service", I continue with, if you walked into my store what would you expect. I do this for two reasons, one being what does he/she thinks this mean, and two what kind of service has he gotten from us. I constantly have myself and my two managers follow up to make sure customers are taken care of properly.

Now on the flip side to this is that I am one of the few exceptions (and this is not a gs issue, or a cc issue (where I worked before), but a retail issue in general.). Because I believe customer service as a whole (and this once again is not limited to local) has dropped and some of this is due to us as well. Consumers are constantly seeking cheaper and cheaper products/services (and yes I do it as well, as I am a member of CAG), and the only way to fufill those requests are by cutting expences.

And i do not think this issue can be brought to just gs either. every retail company has to some point an issue. I have read counless forums (not just this one) where everyone has a problem with everyone. from walmart, target, kmart, gs, eb (ex), cc, bb, ect, ect. and for every one negative thing someone says about a company there are also many others that do not tell there experience, expecially positive. I have been with this company nearly a year now and have not once been informed to give poor service, but once again the people who do should be held accountable for that.

and this is as well just my opinion. I like walking in and talking to people, if they are friendly and give good service, I like the human interaction. if you prefer the internet more power too you.

[quote name='dwhelan']
TexasMonkey: Good luck with finding the demo units, all the stores in my former district were told to send them back. The only N-gage stuff you should see now are the few unlucky stores saddled with selling the leftover stock. The funny part is while the new games are about 6.99ish the system is still 100 bucks because they are all the pre-paid systems. I don't think they will ever sell, but if they drop I am jumping on one.[/QUOTE]

What, did they raise the prices again? A few months back, all NGage games were lowered to $2.99 and all systems with prepaid service to either $40 or $50.

You can take this question as you want, but

How small is the text at a register? I have pretty bad vision, and I had a job at Blockbuster that wasn't easy to read the screen, but I made out. I was looking to get a job at GS or EB since they are both relatively close, and the EB just opened near here.

Why the fuck do they talk out of their asses, saying that DS Lite only has a 3 month warranty, when it really has a year warranty, and try to seel a year warranty for $20 on the thing?

Can I return a used game, even if I removed the used stickers off the game's case?
I ask this because I found a new copy of the same game, but removed the stickers on the used one because I didn't like looking at them.

1. Is it true some of the employees take a new game, gut it, take it home, copy it including the cd key and then bring it back to the store within a certain time frame? My friend in FL told me that his nephew use to work for EB a long while back and they would allow him to do this.
Side note, back in Feb of this year, I went to a GS about 45 mins away from my house to find Empire at War:CE, they didn't have it, they called the nearest EB whiched claimed they had it..so I drive another 10 minutes to get there and pick up the game.. They said it was there last one SW:EAW (CE and Normal) ... excited I drive back home as quickly as I can (since the game was sold out quickly everywhere!) . As soon as I got home, I noticed there was NO factory wrapping.. ok......... Installed the game, during installation, I was looking for the concept art and extra maps, but nothing! Looks like the tech tree diagram was missing as well. I went online to confirm what I am missing from the CE box, which people told me I was missing the tech tree layout, and the 3rd bonus disc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pissed, i called that same EB and talked to the manager and told him what I am missing. He said he would call me back within 30 minutes to see whats going on.... Within 20 minutes he calls me back and says, I has the 3rd disc and tech tree in his hands and to come get it.....so I had to drive another hour or so to get there. When I arrive he pulls out another copy of SW:EAW that the other employee said they HAD no more copies (CE or other wise) and gives me the tech tree and the bonus disc.. so they fucken lied to me and it is possible that I bought a rental :( Is this common practice?

2. Who the fuck is going to care if the employee doesn't ask if you brought in your trades???? Is the store actively recording all audio and video? Or are you guys constatinly secretily shopped?

3. What do you guys do during your down time? (when no one is in the store) talk about video games all the time? Games are great, but there comes a time when you get tired of talking about the same shit over and over again... I know you guys can't watch tv because that video is playing on the tv...so what do you guys do? Surf the net? read a mag? or just stand there like a robot? No offense?

1. Our store lets us take home any game or DVD for 4 days. Even new ones. So yes, it is possible you could buy something used. As for the taking stuff out and keeping it, not at all. If it happened at my store you'd have to buy it.

2. Actually yes. My store does have a camera that records us. And the manager gets in trouble if his store isn't pulling in enough trades/reserves/subscriptions. Also at the end of the day each employee's performance sheet is printed out that says how many reserves you got, for example. The problem is you're thinking like a gamer. Yes, we know about all the trading and reserving crap so it's annoying to hear it. 90% of the customers I deal with have not.

I don't really care either way. I just do what the boss tells me, and it's as simple as that.

3. Have you ever had a job before? What did YOU talk about on your downtime? There you go, answered your own question.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']1. Our store lets us take home any game or DVD for 4 days. Even new ones. So yes, it is possible you could buy something used. As for the taking stuff out and keeping it, not at all. If it happened at my store you'd have to buy it.

2. Actually yes. My store does have a camera that records us. And the manager gets in trouble if his store isn't pulling in enough trades/reserves/subscriptions. Also at the end of the day each employee's performance sheet is printed out that says how many reserves you got, for example. The problem is you're thinking like a gamer. Yes, we know about all the trading and reserving crap so it's annoying to hear it. 90% of the customers I deal with have not.

I don't really care either way. I just do what the boss tells me, and it's as simple as that.

3. Have you ever had a job before? What did YOU talk about on your downtime? There you go, answered your own question.[/QUOTE]

1. meh. last time Im buying a game new at eb/gs
2. who sees the tape or is rerecorded over when no one robs the store?
3.Yea i work for a living... the reason why I asked this is because i use to work at radio shack which if you compare the store sizes of those two places (EB/GS and RS) they are about the same. There are times where no one comes in (early morning or just before we close or around 4/5 pm... we could watch TV and barly surf the net because of the slow connection. We made money via selling stuff like cell phones and accessories. That was the nice thing..spiffs... From what I hear you guys don't get jack for pushing stuff, yet upper management threatens your job if you don't get enough trade in's... I really hate jobs like that(I quit around the time target started pushing the employees to force customers to get red cards or start loosing hours)

I don't know how you can deal with all those parents and there kids asking how much is a game all day long, but you got guts dude... I would have quit after two weeks if I had to deal with shit like that every day.

btw..hows the backroom? good place for sex with female co-workers?

Alright, here's a question for you. If I order a game from the EB or GS website that is back ordered, will I be charged when I order it, or when they finally have a copy to ship to me?

[quote name='RegalSin2020']A more important question. If a manager cries in the parking lot and nobody is around to hear them cry, Did they make a sound?[/QUOTE]

According to GameStop rules they get a pay deduction.

:p

[quote name='Squall835']Alright, here's a question for you. If I order a game from the EB or GS website that is back ordered, will I be charged when I order it, or when they finally have a copy to ship to me?[/QUOTE]

No idea, I don't deal with the website.

The B&M stores and the website are two different entities under the same name.

whats the deal with no refunds? A few months back when I got my PS2 slim around Nov, I asked the clerk if one of the 3rd party PS2 dvd remotes will work with the Slim, he said he had no idea if it did or not, but he knew it worked with the ps2 fat. I asked if I buy it and it doesn't work for the slim (since the packaging said NOTHING about not working with the slim or model number) and he said once I buy it and leave the store im stuck with it... that kind of pissed me off..other stores would have taken it back no problems. He should know if the remote works with the slim or not right? I don't expect him to know if everything in the store is compatible with the slim, but he should be able to look up something to tell me if it works or not and not give me that lame shit excuse. of course the fucker wanted me to pre order some shit game i never heard of.

[quote name='ITDEFX']whats the deal with no refunds? A few months back when I got my PS2 slim around Nov, I asked the clerk if one of the 3rd party PS2 dvd remotes will work with the Slim, he said he had no idea if it did or not, but he knew it worked with the ps2 fat. I asked if I buy it and it doesn't work for the slim (since the packaging said NOTHING about not working with the slim or model number) and he said once I buy it and leave the store im stuck with it... that kind of pissed me off..other stores would have taken it back no problems. He should know if the remote works with the slim or not right? I don't expect him to know if everything in the store is compatible with the slim, but he should be able to look up something to tell me if it works or not and not give me that lame shit excuse. of course the fucker wanted me to pre order some shit game i never heard of.[/QUOTE]

No offense, but do you have any idea how many crap-tastic third party products come through that store, it is almost impossible for one person to be able to tell you the specifics for every product.

Now I do not understand why he was having such a fuss with the return policy, he should have just been able to defect it out and that would be fine. Assuming it did not work with it. Anyway, a safe bet is this, if the remote comes with an RF or IR adapter then it probably will not work with the slim, but that was just a very simple rule of thumb.

By the way, I totally sucked at Pre-Orders unless is was a game I cared about, then I could get excited. But the next Madden or other sports game I would barely keep straight. (well no NCAA, it is hot you now have to take a full college load if you play the carreer mode). On the other hand, I before I left, I did well with subscriptions (before they raised the price) because a sub and used game would be less then a new game. But corporate messed that up, as usual.

By the way, I did not work there because of the job, I worked there because I enjoyed the people I worked with. Our gamestop was essentially a club house, we all knew if the others were not working, then we could probably go out drinking or were already our drinking. Plus, I actually got into game development from there (before I had to student teach to graduate) So over all, GS was not bad. On the other hand, I could never imagine working in food services, I think I would kill myself.

[quote name='dwhelan']No offense, but do you have any idea how many crap-tastic third party products come through that store, it is almost impossible for one person to be able to tell you the specifics for every product.

Now I do not understand why he was having such a fuss with the return policy, he should have just been able to defect it out and that would be fine. Assuming it did not work with it. Anyway, a safe bet is this, if the remote comes with an RF or IR adapter then it probably will not work with the slim, but that was just a very simple rule of thumb.

[/QUOTE]

I thought so... it seems every person I have talked to at best buy/cc/compusa/microcenter/EB/GS have NO IDEA what will and will not work with the slim...that sucks.. but the trade off is that I have a book sized gaming system that is very light and easy to carry around :)

Also is it policy for employees to critize your game purchases or what your looking at? Just after I got my Xbox (from the sam goody close down), I was looking at Crimson Skies (even though it came with my 12 month live kit) and the clerk was asking me if I needed help. I said "No just looking to see what's new/on sale" and he made an off beat remark about the game I was looking at. This happens almost every other time I go into a store like EB/GS... with bb/cc/compusa they don't say shit , ring me up, take my money and let me leave.

Also is it policy for employees to critize your game purchases or what your looking at? Just after I got my Xbox (from the sam goody close down), I was looking at Crimson Skies (even though it came with my 12 month live kit) and the clerk was asking me if I needed help. I said "No just looking to see what's new/on sale" and he made an off beat remark about the game I was looking at. This happens almost every other time I go into a store like EB/GS... with bb/cc/compusa they don't say shit , ring me up, take my money and let me leave.
Depends on the store. With EB I was told to attempt to sell everything. I had to think up good things for crappy games. With GS we tend to just let you know our opinion. The manager himself does it all the time. We're just trying to help, and most people actually like that. I've gotten a lot of compliments from people that like the fact that we give honest opinions.

Wow I'm actually a little RELIEVED that GS is practically "begging" for trade-ins. I don't trade-in alot, but I traded in my DS towards a DS Lite. I always felt I was being a pain in the ass to the employees whenever I traded in stuff (Not that I had alot of questions or that I'd bring in 600 items, I just always felt they were busy enough ringing people up for sales that they didn't want to bother with people and their trade-ins).

2 quick questions.

1) How do GS employees feel when people are trading in crap they probably will never sell again? I mean I felt a little weird getting $70 for my DS towards a DS Lite knowing that GS will probably never sell it.

2) Because I have almost OCD-like qualities, my games are always in MINT CONDITION. Even the goddamn outer plastic sleeve doesn't have scratches. I sometimes feel I'm doing GS a favor because if you re-sealed my sh*t with plastic wrap, it could come off as "new." My question is what percentage of trade-ins are like that? Cuz I feel like I go overboard and maybe I don't have to? I mean I dusted and cleaned my PS2 when I traded it in to the point it looked like it just left the Sony factory.

[quote name='icecubedx5']Wow I'm actually a little RELIEVED that GS is practically "begging" for trade-ins. I don't trade-in alot, but I traded in my DS towards a DS Lite. I always felt I was being a pain in the ass to the employees whenever I traded in stuff (Not that I had alot of questions or that I'd bring in 600 items, I just always felt they were busy enough ringing people up for sales that they didn't want to bother with people and their trade-ins).

2 quick questions.

1) How do GS employees feel when people are trading in crap they probably will never sell again? I mean I felt a little weird getting $70 for my DS towards a DS Lite knowing that GS will probably never sell it.

2) Because I have almost OCD-like qualities, my games are always in MINT CONDITION. Even the goddamn outer plastic sleeve doesn't have scratches. I sometimes feel I'm doing GS a favor because if you re-sealed my sh*t with plastic wrap, it could come off as "new." My question is what percentage of trade-ins are like that? Cuz I feel like I go overboard and maybe I don't have to? I mean I dusted and cleaned my PS2 when I traded it in to the point it looked like it just left the Sony factory.[/QUOTE]

1. Personally, it's all the same to me. If it's gold or if it's crap, I still have to process the items and put them away. It makes no difference to me.

2. Yet again, personally I love it when people bring in items in mint condition, that makes it a lot easier for me to sell them.

As for percentage, maybe around 20-25% at most? It really depends on the customer base, but as a general rule...

Adults tend to take better care of their items, kids beat up their items and soldiers usually come back with their items devastated due to sandstorms. :p

Recently, I've noticed a bunch of GBA games on the Gamestop website that are dropping in price.
Does this mean the new copy versions will drop too and just be slightly more expensive?
An example would be Gunstar Super Heroes last time I checked a new copy goes for $19.99 and the used, currently goes for $11.99 on the Gamestop website. Does this mean the new copy should be $14.99 now? Sorry if this is really confusing and thanks ahead.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Recently, I've noticed a bunch of GBA games on the Gamestop website that are dropping in price.
Does this mean the new copy versions will drop too and just be slightly more expensive?
An example would be Gunstar Super Heroes last time I checked a new copy goes for $19.99 and the used, currently goes for $11.99 on the Gamestop website. Does this mean the new copy should be $14.99 now? Sorry if this is really confusing and thanks ahead.[/QUOTE]

Probably not, just means that the demand has gone down. Maybe the company bought out a third parties stock or trade-in on the specific game has gone up. Rarely that would affect the new price, but there is always a chance.

so most of the MvC2 for ps2 are owned by GS employees now huh? cuz about a month ago i found a case out on the floor and when i brought it up to the counter to buy it the employee goes on saying they dont have the game...........
BULLLLLLLSHHHIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
cuz that wasn't the only time thats happened....when i found Suikoden I and II for ps1...they told me they didnt have the games

[quote name='MrDemonicAngel']so most of the MvC2 for ps2 are owned by GS employees now huh? cuz about a month ago i found a case out on the floor and when i brought it up to the counter to buy it the employee goes on saying they dont have the game...........
cuz that wasn't the only time thats happened....when i found Suikoden I and II for ps1...they told me they didnt have the games[/QUOTE]

Just because a store has the case, means nothing about the inventory. We usually create used cases, or receive box art later in a games life, so we can have a case for when a game is traded in without the case. The game could have been solf earlier and the case was sent back out by accident or a number of other things.

Plus, you would never guess, but GS employees are gamers to, so they (and myself in the past) have a right to by the game as well.

i never said they dont have rights to buy the game...of course they do...they should have first dibs on it for working such a low paying crappy job....but my point was that the guy saw the case brought up to him...his face turned white as a ghost and with a half a second glance in his shelf told me he didnt have it....if the guy acted normal and took a longer time looking for it i wouldnt have been pissed but it was obvious he wanted it for himself

but whatever...i still have my DC copy...just wanted an extra ps2 copy just incase my DC craps out

[quote name='MrDemonicAngel']so most of the MvC2 for ps2 are owned by GS employees now huh? cuz about a month ago i found a case out on the floor and when i brought it up to the counter to buy it the employee goes on saying they dont have the game...........
cuz that wasn't the only time thats happened....when i found Suikoden I and II for ps1...they told me they didnt have the games[/QUOTE]

What usually happens at the store I work at, is that someone will ask for a game by title, we'll check behind the counter if we have the disc. If yes, we'll look for the case for it.

Here comes the problem. The walls may be out of order from shoppers. The employee will usually try to locate the case in multiple sections, but sometimes they are put too far out of place to notice them. If it was a rare game, it's possible someone was trying to "hide" the game for themselves.

So in that case, should the person still want to buy the game, without the box, it's usually sold as such. Depends on the employee.

As for people hiding the cases, this happens way too much at the store I work at. "Hey! Let's put this copy of Disgaea behind these 40 copies of NCAA 2005 for Xbox!" Normally this is caught by the end of the day/during cleanup, but still.
It's a possible theory to what *might* have happened with that MvC2, and the employees may not have known the disc to the game had already been sold. It happens.

[quote name='Zingela']

As for people hiding the cases, this happens way too much at the store I work at. "Hey! Let's put this copy of Disgaea behind these 40 copies of NCAA 2005 for Xbox!" Normally this is caught by the end of the day/during cleanup, but still.
[/quote]
:whistle2:k So, hiding cases is not effective. What about flipping a case so the black part is showing, hiding in the bargain bin or another way, which is most effective? Theoretically, of course.

[quote name='Yusuke-Urameshi-']:whistle2:k So, hiding cases is not effective. What about flipping a case so the black part is showing, hiding in the bargain bin or another way, which is most effective? Theoretically, of course.[/QUOTE]

Theoretically, I would go with the bargain bin but the best night be if you could somehow hide it in the PS1 section. My store rarely went through that section, other then to make sure all the games are the same way. I can remember I got a free Zelda Collection for GC because I volunteered to alphabetize.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Does it matter the location of a paticular GS/EB I return a game to that I brought from another GS/EB? In other words, can I buy a game from one GS and return it to another GS that is much closer to me? Thanks ahead and sorry if this has been asked before.[/quote]

What part MO is your GS store at? I go to Sikeston, MO. there is GS there.

[quote name='Yusuke-Urameshi-']:whistle2:k So, hiding cases is not effective. What about flipping a case so the black part is showing, hiding in the bargain bin or another way, which is most effective? Theoretically, of course.[/QUOTE]

Depends. The store gets straightened up by the part-timer(s) at night. Usually everything gets re-alphabetized as best as possible, and tidied up. If there's a bin with maybe $5.99 movies/$9.99 and under games, it'll usually get straightened up, and any noticably out- of place merchandise will be put back where it belongs.

Flipping the case so the black part is showing will just get fixed quicker, as it really stands out.

If the store is doing their closing routines at least somewhat well, it's hard to really hide anything (this is, of course, barring that the employee just sucks at their job). I guess unless you use the store's physical structure or something. Caught a guy a year or so ago trying to wedge some PS1 game behind a strip of carpeting we had on a lower section of a wall. What the hell, guy.

[quote name='EllsinoreOutlaw']What part MO is your GS store at? I go to Sikeston, MO. there is GS there.[/quote]

Kansas City, I've never heard of Sikeston or Ellsinore, MO. that north or south of the river?

Anyway, any chance of a Buy 2 get 1 free promotion soon?

Just a quick question. I have like $200 in Gamebucks from Gamestop. Can you truly use it at any GS store? I was just wondering how that is possible. Take this example. Suppose I go trade in all my systems and get $500 credit at Gamestop "A" and take that credit and shop at Gamestop "B." I go to "B" because their selection is better. Doesn't that mess with inventory or the fact that "B" has to fork over all their good stuff and "A" has a crapload of overstock?

My other question is, do GS employees/managers get pissed off if someone buys a Xbox 360 with Gamebucks as opposed to cold hard cash? Or is it truly the same thing to them?

You can use your gamebucks at any GS. When we get overstocked with certain items they get sent to other stores, so it doesn't matter.

And we don't give a shit how you buy your 360. If anything gamebucks is easier since we only have to scan it in, rather than make change.

Can you answer my question from a couple of pages ago? I went and applied today.

How small is the text at a register? I have pretty bad vision, and I had a job at Blockbuster that wasn't easy to read the screen, but I made out. I was looking to get a job at GS or EB since they are both relatively close, and the EB just opened near here.

[quote name='Flyersfan']Can you answer my question from a couple of pages ago? I went and applied today.

How small is the text at a register? I have pretty bad vision, and I had a job at Blockbuster that wasn't easy to read the screen, but I made out. I was looking to get a job at GS or EB since they are both relatively close, and the EB just opened near here.[/QUOTE]

The text on the new system is a bit small, you might need glasses.

Well! I finally read this stupid thread, 17 pages! I just wanted to say I am a 3rd key at a GS, and am also here to answer questions (although I probably don't have them all, I just began work about 2 and a half months ago).
I did however want to say a few things:
Some of you guys are pretty negative. I understand having problems with a company and it's policies, but you do seem to make it personal. Of course, if I was screwed pretty bad by a company/store, I might get a bit personal myself...
But I've noticed a lot of people complaining of the employee rental policy. My store doesn't do this, although I believe it will be an option sooner or later. (We just opened, hence why I've been with the store about 2 months). I wanted to say I agree that employees playing a new game, and then selling it new, is pretty lame, and I'm going to ask the district leader about how this can be considered new.
BUT, the guts, I honestly have no problem with. As many people have said, collector's and such aren't gamestops biggest customers. I know one person said they drop $2,000 a year there, and maybe there are quote a few of you here, and to them I say GS does appreciate your business, as they appreciate anyone's business. But most people that buy a new gutted game just want it to play anyway. At my store, we have little plastic sleeves we put over the last gut copy we sell, so we can tell that the customer opened a new game, and can't just return it if they don't like it or whatever. Most customers, if they see me putting that on, tell me they don't need it as they are going to open it right away anyway. I think the majority of buyers at GS feel that way.
At my store, when I sell a last gut, I check the casr to make sure it is complete. Since we don't rent games to employees, it seems unlikely to get a scratched or damaged game. For those that did, I can assure you that this is NOT something that GS is allowing on a corporate wide scale; it's simply carelessness, and something that shouldn't be happening. This is the same with people that get rude customer service, or any little that that is inconsistant. Let the managment know. In cases such as these, it isn't necessarily GS messing up, it's people, and they need to correct their actions.
And finally, I do like GS. I worked at Blockbuster for about 3 and a half years, and let me tell you, it was pretty terrible. But I think one of the worst things was that customers EXPECTED bad service. People seemed naturally against the company, and when I tried to help them out with whatever went wrong, they would be defensive, angry, and act like they were not helped right. I get a bit less of this at GS, but I can tell you right now, going into a store or any situation for that matter with the wrong attitude will get you stuck pretty fast. Being open and resonable gets you pretty far.
But remember as well that all retail is very similar: annoying. Companies want money, they want to dominate the market, and they don't care how it's done. The employees then have to translate that into good customer service, which is sometimes difficult. We do our best.
WOW, maybe I need to sleep, this post went on forever.
If anyone has questions, I will be glad to help as well, and Kuros, this is a great thread, and I think you have been an awesome spokesman for the company so far.

[quote name='MrDemonicAngel']i never said they dont have rights to buy the game...of course they do...they should have first dibs on it for working such a low paying crappy job.... [/QUOTE]

fuck that. That has to be one of the worst things Ive ever seen posted on these boards. Shitty jobs dont equal first dibs.

[quote name='Stink_Pickle']fuck that. That has to be one of the worst things Ive ever seen posted on these boards. Shitty jobs dont equal first dibs.[/quote]

You never worked retail then, because first dibs is a nature of the game. There are chains with policies against it and some stores probably enforce the rules. We aren't just talking first dibs on merchandise that comes in the door either. First dibs applies to clearanced merchandise as well. Alot of people may get offended by the idea, but there are several chains where quite a few people work there just for dibs. Does it piss me off sometimes sure when its abused, but its just a fine line each store manager/chain has to walk to keep employees/customers happy.

Quick questions, please advise.

1) Want to pre-order a Nintendo Wii. When do you think will be the first day to pre-order?

2) I would assume the best chances of getting a Wii at launch if you are one of the first to pre-order. Is it truly "first come, first serve" or is it "whoever pays in full gets it?"

3) Suppose I'm 2nd person to pre-order and pay everything in full. Suppose come launch day there is an emergency and I'm out of state for 2 weeks. Does my system get on hold no matter what? Considering it was paid in full and I was 2nd to pre-order?

-whats the backroom like? A mess?

-Is it usually a two person per shift? (some gamestops I only see one person in the front)

-Do you have to attend monthly meetings?

-Can you guys give away free promo items to customers? Like the stuff you wear around your neck?

-Can you be shifted to diffrent store locations at will by your manager? (I saw this happen to a lot of people when I use to work for radio shack, and wondered the same thing)

1) Want to pre-order a Nintendo Wii. When do you think will be the first day to pre-order?
When Nintendo gives us a release date, then I can guess on this one. Until then your guess is as good as mine.
2) I would assume the best chances of getting a Wii at launch if you are one of the first to pre-order. Is it truly "first come, first serve" or is it "whoever pays in full gets it?"
First come, first serve. Doesn't matter how much you've paid.
3) Suppose I'm 2nd person to pre-order and pay everything in full. Suppose come launch day there is an emergency and I'm out of state for 2 weeks. Does my system get on hold no matter what? Considering it was paid in full and I was 2nd to pre-order?
You have 48 hours. If you call the store and let them know there's an emergency they may hold it longer. Very YMMV as it depends on a number of things. Like if the manager is a nice guy, and how much demand there is for it.
What do you do with the defective games?
They get shipped back to the supplier. They're either fixed or destroyed.
-whats the backroom like? A mess?
*shrugs* It looks like a backroom. It's not a mess.
-Is it usually a two person per shift? (some gamestops I only see one person in the front)
Depends on the day, time and people available. At my store it's usually 2 from opening until about 4, then there's 3. On Saturdays there's four. Most of the time there's 1 person working the wall, and 2 people ringing and handling stickers on the used games. Sometimes one person will shrinkwrap new stuff.
Do you have to attend monthly meetings?
I don't. I think the managers do though.
-Can you guys give away free promo items to customers? Like the stuff you wear around your neck?
If we have extras sure. Most of the lanyards are taken by employees since that's who they give them to. If we have extra ones we give them away.
Can you be shifted to diffrent store locations at will by your manager? (I saw this happen to a lot of people when I use to work for radio shack, and wondered the same thing)
I know EB does this, not sure on GS. I've never seen anyone at my store go anywhere else.

what is the average employment time for a new hire before they decide to quit? Seems in my area I tend to see new staff every 3-6 weeks.

[quote name='ITDEFX']what is the average employment time for a new hire before they decide to quit? Seems in my area I tend to see new staff every 3-6 weeks.[/QUOTE]

Depends on the person really, I've been at my store for about 2 1/2 years.

Is there any competition between you and your fellow coworkers for trade ins, pre orders and so on? I know you don't make commission like we did when i use to work for RS, which I believe lead to hostilities between coworkers.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Is there any competition between you and your fellow coworkers for trade ins, pre orders and so on? I know you don't make commission like we did when i use to work for RS, which I believe lead to hostilities between coworkers.[/QUOTE]

It's just friendly competition most of the time, unless your hours are based on performance.

[quote name='Kuros']It's just friendly competition most of the time, unless your hours are based on performance.[/QUOTE]

now see that sucks... I remembered when I use to work for Target, and they started forcing us to push for red cards (target's credit cards). If you don't meet the minium (of 3 I think), then they cut your hours or write you up. Now see thats should be illegal as they don't ever tell you this when you are hired or interviewed, but then again finding a job that tells you everything thats going to happen to you during the interview process is rare :(

What percentage of gamers would you say buy used products? I am mainly curious because I am such a pansy that I need everything in mint condition, therefore will never buy used. Which leads me to my next question.

There are times where I will trade in my used system or games for store credit, and then proceed to buy brand new games or systems with said credit. Does this piss off GS employees? Like do you ever think to yourself along the lines of "Why the hell wouldn't he buy used stuff when we are taking the used stuff off of his hands?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back