You needn't play at war for General Gaming -- Thread 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sat in a CoD 4 lobby waiting for XBL to get off its ass and find me some players for 30 minutes last night. Time well spent.

I've been playing a lot of DW Gundam on PS3. I absolutely love the game. Also playing some Mega Man Star Force (NDS) and enjoying that. Also enjoying the PSP game I'm previewing.

Continuing with Megaman Powered Up today. Got stuck with Cutman and Gutsman/Icemans attacks are terrible, so I'm playing with Bombman.

Also going to start Ratchet and Calnk PSP today. No Playasia package :[

I started playing Viva Pinata last night. A couple of snakes took up residency, started eating my Mousemallows, and were generally being dicks. I didn't know anything about the post office yet (still don't), so I beat them to death with my shovel. fucking snakes.

not playing much. a little metroid prime on the gamecube and more persona 3 on the ps2. and a little mix of metroid prime hunters and pokemon diamond on the ds.

i'm also debating if I should either buy some swap discs (found a set with magic keys for $24 new) so I can play my import ps1 & 2 titles, or spend the money on another game. any suggestions?

I love Halo. I just started up Assault on the Control Room, and it's just as fun as ever to work your way though those large battlefields. I was trying to kill everyone by warthog in the area right after you first can drive the scorpion. I had this fucking awesome moment where two ghosts were chasing me, I heard the scarab shoot a plasma mortar behind me, so I did a quick 180, the ghosts slowed down, and the plasma mortar took the both of them out. Another time a mortar round flipped the warthog I was driving down a hill, flying end over end in midair right into two hunters. Made me wish there were saved films in Halo 1 so bad.

I also hope they will have more open battlefields like that in Halo 3. It was the thing that was missing the most in Halo 2. It's so amazing how much "emergent" gameplay this game has for such an old game. It's probably my 5th or 6th time playing it through and I still do new things and still even hear marines say new things..

My favorite level to just run around in Halo was one with a wide open snowy area. I forget the name but there were so many vehicles and enemies and space to tackle the situation any way I wanted.

I've been playing MGS3 this week and I'm enjoying it a lot but God of War 2 just came from gamesnflix so I just got off after playing 4 hours of that. I can't wait for the third game of PS3, I can just imagine it with graphics as good as the CG cut scenes.

I also traded up my PS2 for a slim today when it wouldn't read the GOW2 disk. The straw that broke the camels back...

Got my PSP Slim today along with Ratchet and Clank and Sonic Rivals.

I was going to get Jeanne D'arc but then I remembered how much I suck at/hate Strategy RPG's.

I find the single player for Halo really boring, if it didn't have co-op, I would never play them.

Forgot I had started We Heart Katamari eailer this year, so I played some of that last night.

Been toying with FEAR, Oblivion, and the Bioshock demo on my new PC.

Bioshock maxed and running at 60fps is just amazing. same goes for the other 2.

[quote name='Fragonard']I find the single player for Halo really boring, if it didn't have co-op, I would never play them.
[/QUOTE]

Same here, I would have never even came close to beating it if it wasn't for Co-op. Thank god H3 is going to have 4-Player Co-OP, over Live :drool:

I was going through a lot of games and decided fuck it, I'll play nothing but LoZTP until I beat it. I've been playing on and off since the day the Wii dropped, but I never managed to beat it.

Hopefully I'll have it completed by the time Heavenly Sword gets in from Gamefly. Finally, a chance for my PS3 to shine :razz:

[quote name='Apossum']Been toying with FEAR, Oblivion, and the Bioshock demo on my new PC.

Bioshock maxed and running at 60fps is just amazing. same goes for the other 2.[/QUOTE]

That sounds awesome. I'm getting new Ram for my Laptop soon, so maybe I'll finally be able to play WoW and CS:S at a reasonable clip :lol:

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Same here, I would have never even came close to beating it if it wasn't for Co-op. Thank god H3 is going to have 4-Player Co-OP, over Live :drool: [/quote] I agree. I only got through Halo 2's obnoxious single player by playing with a friend which made the game have a highlight: there's nothing unfun about someone driving like an idiot and the other one trying to shoot crap. Ah, Warthog, we love you.

We also played through the original Halo coop for the first time playing it. Looks like Halo 3 might be the first time I beat a Halo game on singleplayer for the first time. Hopefully, though, like Halo 1 it holds up enough to get multiple play-throughs. I've probably beaten the first one like 4 times. It's the perfect length to just hammer out in bursts of free time over a week.

[quote name='Apossum']Been toying with FEAR, Oblivion, and the Bioshock demo on my new PC.

Bioshock maxed and running at 60fps is just amazing. same goes for the other 2.[/QUOTE]

I've been playing Bioshock on my PC, and it just makes me want a new graphics card so badly. My Radeon X1800XT runs it around 30 fps or so maxed out at 1440x900, but I want 60 fps baby.

When the Geforce 8000 series refresh happens, I'll probably jump on an 8800GTX if it's cheap, or go for whatever 8900 series I can afford.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']I've been playing Bioshock on my PC, and it just makes me want a new graphics card so badly. My Radeon X1800XT runs it around 30 fps or so maxed out at 1440x900, but I want 60 fps baby.

When the Geforce 8000 series refresh happens, I'll probably jump on an 8800GTX if it's cheap, or go for whatever 8900 series I can afford.[/QUOTE]

That's happening in November, right? I almost waited for it, then decided I couldn't wait another minute for the new PC :)

Yeah, I just looked it up. Damn, I didn't know they were putting the 9800 out already. Guess I'm gunning for a 9800 GTS or GTX if I have money to burn. Then, I'll be able to play Crysis "the way it's meant to be played." DX10 maxed out.

Merry Christmas!

Probably gonna need a new power supply as well.

Super Metroid is awesome.

If you haven't played it, beg, borrow, steal, find a way to play this game.

I also love Zero Misson and Fusion. Both classics to me.

Super Metroid is my game to play on the Wii after Prime is done. Probably should finish Zero Mission first too.

Never played Super Metroid before. That's right, I said it!

[quote name='daroga']Super Metroid is my game to play on the Wii after Prime is done. Probably should finish Zero Mission first too.

Never played Super Metroid before. That's right, I said it![/QUOTE]

Mein Gott!?!

How? HOW?

Seriously, you're in for a fuckin' experience.

[quote name='daroga']Never played Super Metroid before. That's right, I said it![/quote]

:whistle2:s

Stop what you're doing, and play it NAO!! Seriously this game is a classic.

[quote name='daroga']Super Metroid is my game to play on the Wii after Prime is done. Probably should finish Zero Mission first too.

Never played Super Metroid before. That's right, I said it![/quote]Don't worry, you're not the only one. The blah impression I had of Zero Mission/Fusion made me not need to spend $8 on it when it was available. I'll get around to it eventually.

[quote name='daroga']Actually, scratch that. I've never beaten a Metroid game before. Currently have 2 in the hopper. :)[/quote]I didn't say I beat the two I mentioned, either. ;) Hopefully I will actually finish Prime 3. If I get time to play it, of course. Should be able to get a marathon session in tonight while the wife is at class till 10.

I'm enjoying Zero Mission a lot. I had played it up to the Zero Suit a few years ago and just stopped for some reason.

finally finished my school work for the week, so probably going to get to some more persona 3 tonight hopefully.

Gotta work on Dragon Warrior VII some more tonight. Looks like I've only got a couple more hours left in the game, so hopefully I'll be done by this weekend.

I put 50 hours into Dragon Warrior VII only to get stuck and stop playing for a month. When I went back, I had no clue where to go. Guides couldn't help me. So that game will probably go unbeaten for a while. I loved VIII though. 118 hours worth of love.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']I put 50 hours into Dragon Warrior VII only to get stuck and stop playing for a month. When I went back, I had no clue where to go. Guides couldn't help me. So that game will probably go unbeaten for a while. I loved VIII though. 118 hours worth of love.[/quote]

I hate when that happens. The stopping and then picking it up later and having no clue where to go/what to do. Many games still on the ol back log because of that.

[quote name='Chacrana']To be fair, Fusion and Zero Mission are nowhere near as good as Super Metroid.[/QUOTE]

This is very true. They're also no where near as long. Hell, I think Super Metroid is longer than the ZM & Fusion combined.

Pretty much. Zero Mission's like what... 1.5 to 2 hours long? And Fusion was really short too.

Sigh, not even Nintendo can surpass Super Metroid.

[quote name='Chacrana']Pretty much. Zero Mission's like what... 1.5 to 2 hours long? And Fusion was really short too.

Sigh, not even Nintendo can surpass Super Metroid.[/quote]

fusion was short if you just plainly speed ran through it. the game took 6-8 hours if you played all the way through, longer if you went and found all the power ups.

Got through another hour of Prime 3... looks like that's about the most I can play a game on the TV nowadays. Hopefully I can get through the last 15 hours or so in 30 days!

[quote name='zewone']How are Dargoa and Botticus the oldest people in this thread and they haven't played any classics?[/quote]I honestly don't know why I didn't play Metroid back in the day. I guess it just didn't catch my eye, so I never wanted to rent it. Aside from the couple dozen games I owned, I enjoyed renting the real classics like Monster Party.

I remember when my uncle's were trying to beat Metroid when it came out. Those motherfuckers tried for weeks to beat that game. I didn't even have it and I'd go over to their houses to watch them play it. When I finally got my NES, I beat that shit in 4 days. They were so pissed that they quit playing the game on the spot. What a bunch of sour grapes.

I guess it probably was because I was 6 at the time, and they were 35 and 39.

I remember getting Metroid when I was around 6 or 7 and not knowing what the hell to do because it didn't have levels

man all I remember playing on my NES when I was little was the 1989 TMNT and lots of mario bros 1 and 3. and duck hunt.

I remember when I got Metroid. Christmas 1987. My mom and dad bought an NES for my brother and me. I got the deluxe set and he got the control set, and we got about 15 games to go with that. They must have had some money to burn at that moment. I wish I still had ROB, but I don't know where it is. Putting the gyros on the spinner and then seeing how long they would spin was more fun than actually playing Gyromite. First game I played was Super Mario Brothers, which I beat the hell out of. My brother had an Atari, but he wouldn't let me play it; that's why we each got an NES.

There's a 7 year difference in age, so I was 6 and he was 13, which explains why he didn't let me play his Atari.

Started out with Ninja Gaiden Sigma last night, but I quickly realized I was more in a Tekken mood though, so played through more of that. I forgot how much I liked playing Marshall (They Call Me Bruce) Law.

Not sure what I'll play tonight. Clock is ticking on my current 360, and I'm tempted to trade it in early so as to avoid the weekend crowds. Maybe I'll take it in tomorrow during my lunch break as I don't want to be waiting around when I pick up my Halo3 Limited 360 on Sunday.

Played some FFXII today, which is going back on the shelf to never be played again. I have never been so pissed at a game before. I am near the beginning of the game, like 8 hours in. I am supposed to go rescue Ash in some jail. You have to go all the way through this place without triggering alarms or tons of guys come. Once you get past that, there is a boss. I beat them, get Ash and have to run all the way back to where I came from while the alarm is sounding and guys chasing you. While they chase you, you have to find the panel that shuts off the alarm. Once you find that you only get 60 seconds until the alarm goes off again. OK, so I make it back to the ship without getting killed, but guess what, I walk in the door to find another boss fight and this time its a Judge and like 5 other guys. They kill most of my party pretty quickly, so I'm thinking that its one of those bosses where you are supposed to die, but no its not. My whole party dies and I get a game over. Is there a save point before you fight the boss, no there isnt. So I have to do this shit all over again just to reach the boss. fucking bullshit.

[quote name='zewone']How are Dargoa and Botticus the oldest people in this thread and they haven't played any classics?[/quote]There are some very definite gaps in my game history. Super Metroid I have a mild out on. I had a Genesis, not a Super Nintendo, so even my one friend who owned it wasn't of much use to me in that because it's not like I could borrow his copy, nor would I go over to his house, hog the TV and play by myself. :)

I've always liked games and very much grew up with them, but I never played the sheer variety of games growing up as I do now. I attribute that largely to money (or lack there of) growing up. I'm making up for lost time though.

It is an interesting position to be in, however, to see if a game really does hold up over time. To be able to be completely separate from any and all nostalgia and just play a classic-era game on its own merits (or demerits as the case may be) is a good experience. It also brings with it some questions, such as, would my favorite game of all time be Super Mario Bros. 3 if I played it for the first time today?

After 60 hours, I'm finally putting the lid on Blue Dragon. I might go back later on and attempt more of the side quest achievements (ala defeating King Poo, Gold Mecha Robo, etc.)

Probably going to pick up where I left off with Stranglehold now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back