Your collection - post a photo - show us what'cha got!

That logic certainly makes sense, I'm definitely missing the point of a golden age. I still think video games are a different beast than comics, and I don't necessarily agree that the most valuable items will lie in any one generation. We're already seeing instances of incredibly valuable games from the Atari era all the way up to the current generation (I could probably name a game worth $500+ from any generation). As the amount of gamers on the planet increases, demand for games from all past generations will increase to some extent. Not that it has been mentioned, but I don't think games will ever hit a point like comics have where the vast majority of books released go on to be practically worthless.

Prices on current gen stuff aren't terribly relevant IMO. I'll use comics as a parallel again. Image Comics blew the fuck up in the 90's! Prices for special editions and whatnot went through the roof, even when you could still just buy the crap on newstands. But, here we are nearly 20 years later and they're worth absolutely nothing. Time is the true test...

[quote name='Doomstink']That logic certainly makes sense, I'm definitely missing the point of a golden age. I still think video games are a different beast than comics, and I don't necessarily agree that the most valuable items will lie in any one generation. We're already seeing instances of incredibly valuable games from the Atari era all the way up to the current generation (I could probably name a game worth $500+ from any generation). As the amount of gamers on the planet increases, demand for games from all past generations will increase to some extent. Not that it has been mentioned, but I don't think games will ever hit a point like comics have where the vast majority of books released go on to be practically worthless.[/QUOTE]

I think you're missing the point of the golden/silver/bronze ages of comic book. Not all valuable comics are in the golden age, nor are all golden age comics valuable. It's like this (these are rough estimates, I'm not a huge comic fan):
Golden Age - 25% of comics have significant value while the remainder are marginally valuable.
Silver Age - 5% of comics have significant value while the remainder are marginally valuable.
Bronze Age - 1% of comics have significant value while the remainder are marginally valuable.
Modern Age - Very few comics that go above current face price (as in, the average price of a comic today).

Each age will have its fluctuations but the idea is... if you grab a random comic from each age, there's a higher chance that one from the Golden Age will have significant value versus one from latter ages. Sure you can name a few rare games from recent generations, but I bet you're probably forgetting the countless number of worthless shovelware (like, basically 70% of the Wii and DS library).

Plus, the Golden Age wasn't the start of comics. Comics, if you take comic strips into consideration, were around at the beginning of the 20th century. But the Golden Age wasn't until the late 30s. So I'd argue that arcades/Atari era are like comic strips- both were popular enough and had moderate appeal. Then stuff like Action Comics and Superman revolutionized the comic book industry and sales exploded.

With games, it wasn't until the NES and SNES that the industry saw a rapid expansion period... just like Golden Age of comics, hence we're calling it the golden age of games. Granted, you could argue that the Atari era expanded the industry but I'm pretty sure NES era sales were significantly better. But often do you see kids these days talk about Atari games/characters vs talk of NES/SNES games/characters? The NES/SNES era is still remembered thanks to long-standing series like Mario, Zelda, Sonic, etc. whereas the Atari is basically unknown.

No, you obviously can't parallel the two things exactly... and that's not what we're saying. We're just saying that the Golden Age of games are probably in the NES/SNES era. Plus, there's one major variable today: the internet. This could drastically take things in a different diction in 10 years.

[quote name='Vinny']I think you're missing the point of the golden/silver/bronze ages of comic book. Not all valuable comics are in the golden age, nor are all golden age comics valuable. It's like this (these are rough estimates, I'm not a huge comic fan):
Golden Age - 25% of comics have significant value while the remainder are marginally valuable.
Silver Age - 5% of comics have significant value while the remainder are marginally valuable.
Bronze Age - 1% of comics have significant value while the remainder are marginally valuable.
Modern Age - Very few comics that go above current face price (as in, the average price of a comic today).

Each age will have its fluctuations but the idea is... if you grab a random comic from each age, there's a higher chance that one from the Golden Age will have significant value versus one from latter ages. Sure you can name a few rare games from recent generations, but I bet you're probably forgetting the countless number of worthless shovelware (like, basically 70% of the Wii and DS library).

Plus, the Golden Age wasn't the start of comics. Comics, if you take comic strips into consideration, were around at the beginning of the 20th century. But the Golden Age wasn't until the late 30s. So I'd argue that arcades/Atari era are like comic strips- both were popular enough and had moderate appeal. Then stuff like Action Comics and Superman revolutionized the comic book industry and sales exploded.

With games, it wasn't until the NES and SNES that the industry saw a rapid expansion period... just like Golden Age of comics, hence we're calling it the golden age of games. Granted, you could argue that the Atari era expanded the industry but I'm pretty sure NES era sales were significantly better. But often do you see kids these days talk about Atari games/characters vs talk of NES/SNES games/characters? The NES/SNES era is still remembered thanks to long-standing series like Mario, Zelda, Sonic, etc. whereas the Atari is basically unknown.

No, you obviously can't parallel the two things exactly... and that's not what we're saying. We're just saying that the Golden Age of games are probably in the NES/SNES era. Plus, there's one major variable today: the internet. This could drastically take things in a different diction in 10 years.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, like I said, I missed the point of a golden age but I still don't agree that video game values will echo the trends we've seen with comics. When this generation has aged as much as the 16-bit era, I can practically guarantee that the percentage of valuable games from now will meet or exceed that same percentage from then.

About time I put pics up again. I completely redid the setup since last time I posted. It's not 100% complete. There is more rearranging and adding that I need to do to the display shelf. I have all my gb, gbc, gba, and gg games cased up in do cases, I just need to find somebody who knows photoshop to make the inserts for me that cover project doesn't have. Lastly, now that I have space for them, I need to get my snes and genesis games out of storage and put them on the classic plastic shelf. I'll post updated pics once I get all that done. As of now, here we go...

Bare with me...these were taken with my iPhone...

Here is the entire game area
06FCF55A-AAEC-4F92-A54F-871F83A0411F-512-00000046C151AE34.jpg

BadaBing!
8FF41461-9301-446F-9EFE-212958D7E29A-512-00000046C444DF2F.jpg

Display shelf. All three portal guns, a TMNT animation cel, walking dead CE. On the top are my dearly departed no longer functioning consoles, along with a can of buzz soda and bottle of duff beer (they DO exist!). I also have a few Skylanders there. The N64 drawer houses my N64 games. Above that is a disc binder for my PS1 and Dreamcast games. I do still have the original cases and manuals, but they're boxed up for safe keeping and space saving.
9EF8D3CA-3204-4EC9-B281-C44B53EFB298-512-00000046C7B03114.jpg

HD tv for modern consoles. Tube tv for retro.
AFEF4695-44BE-4C18-93A4-E5FB041E5E28-512-00000046CC1F0737.jpg

My collection, with the exception of SNES and Genesis which I haven't put out yet, and handhelds which I am mid coverprojecting.
83C26861-31A0-412B-B197-DF7570D90EED-512-00000046D0205F76.jpg

Duke Nukem, Tommy, and 20th anniversary Megazord!
BFBB75FA-0C1D-4D7C-BDF7-2B7EEC5F56B4-512-00000046DD4E157E.jpg

Sonic, Halo 4 LE, and Technika Tune LE. DJ Max Technika Tune is so far my only Vita game, but it itself had made the purchase worth it. Wonderful game.
6CBBB2F0-8F4F-4401-853C-9BEAC750FFF6-512-00000046E07B56EE.jpg

CN pin set, original Furby, new Furby
514E0700-1D08-46EE-B01F-4F39850FFC95-512-00000046E48104C3.jpg

Close up on Buzz and Duff
AE988BE2-10E3-4971-B462-FC731EB14C6B-512-0000004739F0F066.jpg

Cell and Alfonso Soriano (lol, what a duo):
3995901E-63B9-4FBC-8DFC-7A12C42331E2-512-0000004E547C2244.jpg

My modest Wii U collection, and an unopened can of original Game Fuel (not in set up picture, late add):
2971A8DF-D701-426D-9C94-989484A3F461-512-0000004E57F3557F.jpg

Wii:
7BBC040E-E4EF-4A61-83D5-1C0D1E83055A-512-00000046E859C802.jpg

9149A754-6B1E-4D08-B42C-BE23309BB74B-512-00000046ECFA1FAC.jpg

PS2:
F54D59A1-306D-4134-B10A-A824D7772715-512-00000046EFF6F6E9.jpg

F35BD014-80DB-459D-9652-2C3BF23BD242-512-00000046F6E308AE.jpg

PS3:
BCD72DD2-8321-4F8C-AA2E-9C39190C6747-512-00000046FCF788C4.jpg

DAF23F28-E983-4C55-987F-6C23129916B8-512-0000004701606B0C.jpg

1BAD75CB-16F9-4B66-9D06-F1DF81F58284-512-000000470568A2AC.jpg

3DS, and the NES games I've brought out. Still have more to put up.
50547295-A7B8-44A7-8449-68428CB01CEE-512-00000047365E67DB.jpg

My small PSP collection. It's damn time I add some of this console's gems, I'm severely lacking.
F6655E4B-46C1-4CE5-A881-CD04683C9F44-512-0000004B885EC8E5.jpg

GameCube:
2506B08F-ECE1-4857-94DF-2C777EC668C8-512-000000470D83EAFC.jpg

Xbox:
2C152CE9-930E-4BB3-958D-ECE7D10E4B98-512-0000004711D323A7.jpg

0CFEE511-00DE-414C-AE9A-8D10ACD05622-512-00000047196968E7.jpg

Xbox 360:
1CCB1831-5F07-425E-9CA0-0E80DFD9D7F7-512-000000471E3714ED.jpg

A0B7B320-BA29-44EE-A5BB-F1A0883ED927-512-0000004721FF02F5.jpg

DS and DSi:
17963972-DFF5-4FAA-8B90-E7B87CE22C59-512-000000472678CBC5.jpg

193F0B02-7862-4703-8D9C-52D32C523A55-512-0000004729DC2412.jpg

Consoles:
108842D1-0479-4F9E-8FB7-106C6E9B8C5C-512-000000472E1A357B.jpg

So that's what it looks like as of now. I'll update again once I get it all the way set up.

Starting up working on the basement again on Sunday (after 6 month hiatus) so hoping to have complete setup pictures available in a few months (especially since dude doing most of the work's wife is having baby in April...)

I'll post an update since I won't have anything coming in for a while.

(Note: I didn't resize the pictures)
IMG_1781_zpsff7da282.jpg

IMG_1785_zps8f2a4380.jpg

IMG_1788_zpsdab54fc0.jpg

This stuff won't fit in my display case. A lot of it has missing manuals or bad cover art.
IMG_1789_zps69ca1ff8.jpg

And this is the display case. I got some rare stuff since last time I took pictures.
IMG_1796_zpsf4bfe4e9.jpg

IMG_1800_zpse7a6f14e.jpg

I sorta know Photoshop. What spines are you looking for?

Also, you've exceeded the legal limit of Portal guns. Please contact your local wiggy for instructions on how to properly dispose of the excess gun. Thank you.

[quote name='Drclaw411']About time I put pics up again. I completely redid the setup since last time I posted. It's not 100% complete. There is more rearranging and adding that I need to do to the display shelf. I have all my gb, gbc, gba, and gg games cased up in do cases, I just need to find somebody who knows photoshop to make the inserts for me that cover project doesn't have. Lastly, now that I have space for them, I need to get my snes and genesis games out of storage and put them on the classic plastic shelf. I'll post updated pics once I get all that done. As of now, here we go...

Bare with me...these were taken with my iPhone...
[/QUOTE]

Ew, Gamestop stickers! Remove those foul things!! Every time I buy something from GS, I always remove their stickers... they're such an eyesore.

Nice collection- can't believe you have all 3 Portal guns. That's a lot of money right there but they'll be worth a ton in the future.

[quote name='slainviper']I'll post an update since I won't have anything coming in for a while.

[/QUOTE]

Nicely organized.

I'm wondering why nobody here has problem with dust... my room has an ungodly amount of dust, unless I clean every 2-3 days.

[quote name='Vinny']Ew, Gamestop stickers! Remove those foul things!! Every time I buy something from GS, I always remove their stickers... they're such an eyesore.

Nice collection- can't believe you have all 3 Portal guns. That's a lot of money right there but they'll be worth a ton in the future.

Nicely organized.

I'm wondering why nobody here has problem with dust... my room has an ungodly amount of dust, unless I clean every 2-3 days.[/QUOTE]I think the dust in my room is sucked up by my computer fans and air conditioner. There's dust on top of the overhanging bookshelf above my desk, though.

[quote name='Vinny']Ew, Gamestop stickers! Remove those foul things!! Every time I buy something from GS, I always remove their stickers... they're such an eyesore.

Nicely organized.

I'm wondering why nobody here has problem with dust... my room has an ungodly amount of dust, unless I clean every 2-3 days.[/QUOTE]

I hate the stickers too. I do remove the ones from the front and back, but the ones on the spines...my GS store have a nasty habbit of putting the stickers on the actual cover art and whenever I try to remove them I end up ripping the insert.

As for dust....no idea. I don't do anything special, just dust about once ever 1-2 weeks

[quote name='wiggyx']I sorta know Photoshop. What spines are you looking for?

Also, you've exceeded the legal limit of Portal guns. Please contact your local wiggy for instructions on how to properly dispose of the excess gun. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

I have a Portal gun permit, I swear! As for the inserts I need, I'll make a list and PM you. I'd pay if your are able to do them.

[quote name='Drclaw411']I hate the stickers too. I do remove the ones from the front and back, but the ones on the spines...my GS store have a nasty habbit of putting the stickers on the actual cover art and whenever I try to remove them I end up ripping the insert.

As for dust....no idea. I don't do anything special, just dust about once ever 1-2 weeks[/QUOTE]

Oh, that sucks... my GS did that for like a week or two before they started to just slip in the stickers without removing the back paper, so that they could easily be slipped out.

[quote name='chetofvern']
picture.php

I will update with the new pics of my pc and gamming room but this was a old pics of my saturn games and Ps1 Rpgs[/QUOTE]

Oh man... please tell me you have a bigger pic or a close up.:drool:

Hmm, I think I have a 12 pack of those mtn dew cans. Most of them are empty though. I think I kept a couple full and kept the box too. I thought there might be a demand for them when I saw them released, but I only bought a 12er because I was worried it was my inner hoarder coming out. ;)

Nice stuff everyone! I want a close up of those sega discs!

[quote name='ZombieToast']Saving Mountain Dew cans...? Does not compute...[/QUOTE]

DRClaw had one in his pics. There have always been can collectors, so I figured they were worth saving. I also never drink out of pop cans, so they have been carefully opened and rinsed several times and allowed to dry before they were stored.

I think the official way to do it is to punch a hole in the bottom of the can and let everything drain out, but that may have changed over the years.

It just seems odd to me. But I also think it's odd that people drink Mountain Dew, so I guess the world is just full of things I'll never understand.

[quote name='Drclaw411']I hate the stickers too. I do remove the ones from the front and back, but the ones on the spines...my GS store have a nasty habbit of putting the stickers on the actual cover art and whenever I try to remove them I end up ripping the insert.

As for dust....no idea. I don't do anything special, just dust about once ever 1-2 weeks[/QUOTE]

I have a how-to in my blog for just that sort of thing. May want to give it a try before giving up on it.

[quote name='Drclaw411']I have a Portal gun permit, I swear! As for the inserts I need, I'll make a list and PM you. I'd pay if your are able to do them.[/QUOTE]

OK, I'll take your word for it. But don't go getting a 4th or anything. I'll send wiggy special forces to confiscate...

Just lemme know. I'm more than happy to trade game goodies for work, just as an FYI ;)

[quote name='ZombieToast']It just seems odd to me. But I also think it's odd that people drink Mountain Dew, so I guess the world is just full of things I'll never understand.[/QUOTE]

This.

I think that makes us "old" though.

The links each have a closing bracket at the end that needs to be removed. Upon doing so, the links work just fine.

[quote name='wiggyx']This.

I think that makes us "old" though.[/QUOTE]
Ha ha, maybe. It just makes me think of people who save empty alcohol bottles as if they are trophies of some kind. I could understand if they were really cool bottles, but they usually seem to be pretty generic.

[quote name='wiggyx']Square, here's for you ;)
[/QUOTE]

Thank god you made it simple and classy... instead of obnoxious and overshadowing.

That post got all jumbled. I tried to fix it from my phone today (cause its all I've got on me). I'll clean it up when I get home. No idea what happened there, but I'll get it 100% sorted out ASAP.

It was originally formatted in BBcode (hence the brackets), but the post sorta disappeared and I had to paste it from elsewhere, and I obviously missed those brackets.

[quote name='slowdive21']OK, I am a little slow. What is the mobile site for CAG? Is there a rule of thumb for finding mobile sites of websites?[/QUOTE]

normally typing "m." in front of the website name takes you to the mobile site. so "m.cheapassgamer.com"

[quote name='slowdive21']DRClaw had one in his pics. There have always been can collectors, so I figured they were worth saving. I also never drink out of pop cans, so they have been carefully opened and rinsed several times and allowed to dry before they were stored.

I think the official way to do it is to punch a hole in the bottom of the can and let everything drain out, but that may have changed over the years.[/QUOTE]

The only cans I have collected is the MDew GameFuel Cans and Bottles. I have all of the retail cans except for the second flavor that came with the MW3 Promotion last year and have the Halo 3 and Halo 4 20oz Bottles.

I dug these out of an old bin yesterday. Does anyone think any of these have value to it. The only 1 that's sealed is Dragon Warrior VII.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also not pictured is Vagrant Story because I forgot to include it in the photo.

That sealed Dragon Warrior VII is worth a decent amount (I think $100 or so) if there's no visible damage to the case or shrinkwrap, or loose discs inside. But the game's being remade so it's value will fall. But you've got stuff in the second picture that's worth more, like Skyward Sword Bundle, MGS HD LE, and Lords of Shadow LE (if it's on PS3).

[quote name='boogie4114']I dug these out of an old bin yesterday. Does anyone think any of these have value to it. The only 1 that's sealed is Dragon Warrior VII.

Also not pictured is Vagrant Story because I forgot to include it in the photo.[/QUOTE]

You probably have a +/- $200 value lot there, depending on condition and whether the DW7 is a legit seal. Less if you sell individually and get hit with fees, more if you auction as a lot and run into a lunatic bulk buyer.

To the above poster, the only game sealed in the 1st pic is Dragon Warrior VII. In the 2nd pic most of the vertical games are sealed except Skyward Sword and Tales of Symphonia. The opened games are put horizontally because I've started some but never finished or I opened them thinking I was bout to start them then decided to play something else or were Gamefly purchases.

[quote name='boogie4114']Not much to brag about but here goes....

Mostly games that are horizontal are opened or were purchased from Gamefly and the ones that are vertical are still sealed.[/QUOTE]

Good mix of games and J's! I like it.

Alright. I wanted to archive what I had in my collection up to this point. I took a picture of everything I have. From here on out *for my personal records* I will be keeping tabs of what I get in any given month to see how it grows or shrinks. Thought I would post my work for you guys to check out, since when I posted my room a few pages back some people said they preferred to see individual titles in collections instead of a brief overview. I wanted to post everything in one go but apparently Flickr won't let me have access to more than 200 photos. :roll: SO I will post just my Nintendo, Sega, and Sony stuff. If people like it I will post the rest later.

Nintendo:
NES:

Famicom:

Got to love the Street Fighter II clone.

SNES:

N64:

Gamecube:

Wii:

Game Boy:
I have a Game Buy Printer but is buried somewhere in all the moving boxes.

Instead of getting the same replacement cover from the Cover Project I thought I would flex my artistic muscle and make my own. I plan to do this for all my loose games.

Game Boy Color:

Game Boy Advance:

DS:

Blank case is Tetris DS, from back in the day when it was rare and expensive to get. Stupid loose games. =P

3DS:
I am waiting for the right special edition XL to come along before I grab one. But I am getting some games.

Sega:
Master System:

Genesis:

Reproduction carts.

Sega CD:

32X:

And random Game genie I found after I took the Genesis console pic.

Saturn:

Sadly no keyboard.

Dreamcast:

Game Gear:

Someone please make a consolized Game Gear!

Sony:
Playstation:

This is a hard modded PS1. I also have an audiophile (sadly isn't working now) and a PSone that isn't in the pic.

Large red box is Persona 2 Eternal Punishment CE from Japan.

Anyone out there have the Mega Man Legends 2 demo for trade???

PS2:
Definitely my largest collection.

PS3:
I have a launch 60 GB without a box so I didn't bother taking a picture.

PSP:
I have a PSP 1001 and the box was no where to be found. So no pic. This system is so underrated.

Vita:

So those are my collections for the big three. I will probably post pictures for my other consoles some time later. I hope you guys enjoy.

[quote name='kermit036']Alright. I wanted to archive what I had in my collection up to this point. I took a picture of everything I have. From here on out *for my personal records* I will be keeping tabs of what I get in any given month to see how it grows or shrinks. Thought I would post my work for you guys to check out, since when I posted my room a few pages back some people said they preferred to see individual titles in collections instead of a brief overview. I wanted to post everything in one go but apparently Flickr won't let me have access to more than 200 photos. :roll: SO I will post just my Nintendo, Sega, and Sony stuff. If people like it I will post the rest later.

Nintendo:
NES:

Famicom:

Got to love the Street Fighter II clone.

SNES:

N64:

Gamecube:

Wii:

Game Boy:
I have a Game Buy Printer but is buried somewhere in all the moving boxes.

Instead of getting the same replacement cover from the Cover Project I thought I would flex my artistic muscle and make my own. I plan to do this for all my loose games.

Game Boy Color:

Game Boy Advance:

DS:

Blank case is Tetris DS, from back in the day when it was rare and expensive to get. Stupid loose games. =P

3DS:
I am waiting for the right special edition XL to come along before I grab one. But I am getting some games.

Sega:
Master System:

Genesis:

Reproduction carts.

Sega CD:

32X:

And random Game genie I found after I took the Genesis console pic.

Saturn:

Sadly no keyboard.

Dreamcast:

Game Gear:

Someone please make a consolized Game Gear!

Sony:
Playstation:

This is a hard modded PS1. I also have an audiophile (sadly isn't working now) and a PSone that isn't in the pic.

Large red box is Persona 2 Eternal Punishment CE from Japan.

Anyone out there have the Mega Man Legends 2 demo for trade???

PS2:
Definitely my largest collection.

PS3:
I have a launch 60 GB without a box so I didn't bother taking a picture.

PSP:
I have a PSP 1001 and the box was no where to be found. So no pic. This system is so underrated.

Vita:

So those are my collections for the big three. I will probably post pictures for my other consoles some time later. I hope you guys enjoy.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about you, but I'm loving it a lot. :lol:

I clicked all the spoilers. Very nice. I particularly envy the Saturn and PS collections. So many titles I wish I would have picked up back then. And any collection that has Sewer Shark gets an automatic A from me.

[quote name='kermit036']Thought I would post my work for you guys to check out, since when I posted my room a few pages back some people said they preferred to see individual titles in collections instead of a brief overview. [/QUOTE]

We just wanted close ups to be able to see the spine... no need to take pics of the fronts. :lol:

Anyway, fantastic collection. It was a fun journey going through all of those spoilers.

[quote name='Vinny']All I now know is that you have a lot of Energizer boxes...[/QUOTE]

They are perfect for media. I get them from costco and sams club. They hold 11 DVDs, 15 ps3 games, 7 VHS tapes (I think if you put one on top), and a shit ton of CDs. They stack really well too!

I'll have to check out kermit036 collection when I have some more time. Does anyone know how to show all spoilers? Isn't there a javascript code?

bread's done
Back