Your first online game?

Toireht

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I was quite late to the online scene, sense I lived in alaska till 2000. We did have internet but it was a miserable 28.8k, we surfed the net at the speed of slow. We could play over phone lines to each other, but could only really play doom, age of empires, and CNC, but nothing really online with people you don't know.

When we finally came back down to the lower 48 again, we got 56k for about a year. In that year i picked up tribes 2, and tried playing online once but quit cause of the lag. A week later after picking it up we got cable, and thats when I got my first taste of real online play with 32 other people fraggin it out in the tribes 2 world. To this day I still believe its one of the enjoyable online games. It might not be as good as other games out there, but it sticks out more then any others cause it was my first real online experience.

So whats your guys' first online experience?

The first one that I really became involved in was Halo PC. Played it a few hours a night solid for about 8 months or so.

Now, it's Halo 2. Go figure.

Hard to say what was really my absolute very first online game since it was so long ago, but one of the more notable things that stands out in my memory was the NetMech expansion for MechWarrior 2.

I don't remember which was first, but I remember playing Mech Warrior 2 with NetMech and the original Diablo on Battlenet.

I've never played a game online before. I don't know anyone with a PS2 that I would want to play. I have the network adapter (slim PS2) but it's not hooked up. I keep meaning to but it's going to be a huge pain in the ass. I'm planning on going online with the next gen though so maybe in about a year or so...

I did Warcraft II a little bit, but it was Worms Armageddon that seriously sucked me in. I played the game for years. Literally. I also played some of the Janes Flight Sims in the early days when Navy Fighters and Fighters Anthology were around. Damn I miss those days... a bit crazy on dial up. However, the beauty of Worms was that since it was so simplistic, lag wasn't an issue with a dialup connection.

MY online (current and previous)addictions:

Jedi Knight 2
Mystery of the Sith
Unreal Tournament
Jedi Outcast
UT2K3
Counter Strike
SOCOM
SOCOM 2
HALO 2

I would play some of the newer computer games like half life 2, but I can only play them on my brothers laptop right now and he is at college so im gonna start playin em when I get a new comp.

My first online game was a text-based MU*, if you wanna count that. If not, Unreal Tournament. I tried Doom, but only played it a couple of times.

Mad Maze

After that, direct dial-up connections to play against one person in Rise of the Triad and Warcraft 2 (before Battlenet).

Then Subspace/Continuum, the greatest game you've never played. You owe it to yourself to go to www.powerballzone.com and download it and play it. Asteroids multiplayer deathmatch. Absolutely brilliant design. Hard as hell to learn but it's pure old school.

Capcom Vs. Snk 2 on XBL. Good stuff, still play it from time to time.

nba live 2004. I got the mic and the keyboard when i bought my network adapter. hooked it up and was able to play with a kid from minnesotta. it was so cool to be able to talk to the other player. we were talkin' trash to each other and it was fun.

then i hooked it up with tigetr woods 2004 and played online with a mic. now that was boring. what the hell do you talk about in between shots in golf other than...."that was a nice shot".

after experimenting with that....i stopped using mic online coz' it gets pretty distracting to play sports games with.

NFL 2K1. My first online addiction was DC's Quake III and I don't even want to discuss my PSO addiction of 2001. It was truly disturbing how much I played that game.

The best XBL games to date, IMHO of course, remain RtCW, Halo 2 and RalliSport 2.

Starcraft, then Counter Strike, Then the Socom's. I tried halo 2 just to unbalanced for me. Now my current fav is Socom 3

i cant remember but it was either diablo or quake 2... i think it was diablo, on an old old computer with a 28.8 modem, top of the line in its day

my first was Age of Empires 2. My older brother and I were a good team, he'd play, and id be there checking team/unit weaknesses for him. I eventually started playing online too, although i didnt get really seriously into online play until Starcraft

Phantasy Star Online for the Dreamcast. I still have fond memories of that games...when I don't think of the shitheads with cheat devices that ultimately ruined the game, that is.

My first online experiance that I owned the game and system, was socom...I was hooked like crack on it, hearing birds chirping early in the morning as I was going to bed

The very first multiplayer game I played via my 28k modem was Duke Nukem. It wasn't online but rather a direct connection to a friends pc through the phone line.

The very first online game I played was Diablo.

My first online addiction came from tom clancy's rainbow six: rogue spear... best tactical fps ever.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']NFL 2K1. My first online addiction was DC's Quake III and I don't even want to discuss my PSO addiction of 2001. It was truly disturbing how much I played that game.

The best XBL games to date, IMHO of course, remain RtCW, Halo 2 and RalliSport 2.[/QUOTE]
Been there, done that. I was completely addicted to PSO, until the PK hack started running rampant.

My first online game was a Multi-User Dungeon (MUD) called Barren Realms. This was back in 1995. I was hooked on MUDs (think WoW without the graphics) for about 4 years. Funny thing is I haven't played much online gaming since then

First one I remember really getting into was Warcraft II. Played that on the free Kali servers for hours a day. But with Warcraft II hours could mean just one match... I remember having the beginning routine down to a science.

When I picked up Warcraft III years later I never really got into it online for some reason. Played it probably less than a dozen times online total.

Uhh started out with Diablo 2 that my friend showed me, then I started getting into cs 1.6, played that for so long. I got xfire like during the last couple of months before hl2 came up and it kept track of my cs1.6 for those couple of months, and it was over 200 hours! So imagine tha for like 2-3 years. I use to be in a clan and was in cal and had my own server, god it was fun, especially since I had my own server I could boot all the hackers and lamers.

Everquest Online Adventures for PS2. I hate admitting that.

Also played FFXI for a while.

However, I was way too addicted to MMORPGs and quit cold turkey about a year ago. Haven't gone back and I'm much happier now.

Doom in high school via modem (but is that really, truly online?)

I guess my first real online, mmo-esque experience was with PSO on dreamcast. I, like many others here, were totally drawn into the best totally repetitive game ever made. It paved the way for me to play mmorpg's like EQ and WoW,

Long live Dreamcast Online!!!

My first online game was Quake III for PC. I took a computer class during high school (computer techology and networking) and about 75% of the time there we played online games -- mostly Quake III. The class had about 30 people in it. It was funny because even the teacher played it. She'd tell us to go easy on her or she'd give us bad grades.

I liked playing the Team Fortess mod. A lot of people liked being the sniper, so I was always the medic and give them all the virus (which also made it hard for them to snipe since it would constantly kill them and they couldn't hold still).

Good times.

If we are counting MUDs on BBSes, that would be my first.

Next "first" for me is playing DukeNukem 3d over modem with a buddy of mine.

I used to play a lot of Warcraft II on the Kali servers as well.

bread's done
Back