Your Most Aggravating Achievements?

Getting all the damn coins in Naruto: Rise of a Ninja.

Actually, that one was glitched for a while (and I believe some still are). Those are the most frustrating, since you can't get them. ;)

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Wait...

Mile Club Club only took you 6 tries??

Thats what I was going to post but now I feel very inferior considering it took me about 6 hours spread over a few days. 6 tries must be a record.[/quote]

He left off a couple 0's. It took me 10 hours over 2 days non-stop.

I think I'll speak for my friend, she was playing Orange Box and trying to get the gnome achievement (where you carry it from beginning of the game to when you get to the rocket) thing is though one day I asked her how far she was in episode 2 and she said "The part where you have to defend the silo's, it's friggin impossible with the gnome." To which I nervously responded "Um, you know when you talk to the professor and meet up with everyone including Heady there's a hatch you're supposed to put the gnome in and that's how you get the achievement." "Are you fucking serious?" "..Yup." "..." I don't think she's gone back to the game since.

Achievement That I've Done: Gears of War Seriously Achievement - It took 12,054 kills for it it to unlock.

Achievements That I Haven't Done: Dead Rising 5 and 7 Day Survivor Achievement - I'm waiting for some vacation time before I even attempt these.

/sidenote: I really wish companies would take a page from Valve's approach to Achievements with The Orange Box. I like how it kept track of your progress and how you could easily access your Achievements from the pause menu.

Mile High Club - COD4
While it only took me about 3 hours, it was painful. And so so rewarding.
Personally, I had even more trouble with No Fighting in the War Room.

Veteran achievements - COD2
Need I say more? One area in particular was just unfair. Then you had to be a perfect sniper afterwards. :bomb:

Treasure Trove - Lost Odyssey
Ok, Mistwalker? I love your RPG's. Your studio has some great talent. But seriously, 100% collection achievements blow. Take some notes from Tomb Raider: Legend.

The same to Ubisoft. fuck your coin and flag collections in Naruto ROAN and Assassin's Creed. Nothing buy a petty way to trick the player into thinking the game is longer.

[quote name='Limpbizkit182521']Grr I'm still missing 1 orb in Crackdown.[/quote]

Can I join the "499 out of 500" club?

Halo 3's 2 guys 1 Laser. I hate that most online achievements have to be done in ranked free for all. Stupid. In ranked, I should be focusing on winning, not hauling around a laser all the time.

And welcome, OP.

[quote name='englishsandwich']Halo 3's 2 guys 1 Laser. I hate that most online achievements have to be done in ranked free for all. Stupid. In ranked, I should be focusing on winning, not hauling around a laser all the time.[/quote]
Thank god for Halloween matchmaking or I would have never gotten that one.

mile high club by far

haven't done 5 or 7 day achievement for dead rising

and I predict that GTA 4 will have a hard one

Hexic - Grand Pearl Pooh-Bah frustrated me for a while. Most puzzle games require you to move quickly and go on instinct, but Hexic is best played slowly...always planning several moves ahead. It took me too many attempts to finally get it.

Crackdown - I had 499 for a long time and was getting so frustrated, and then one night I was just messing around on the street and happened to glance up at a building and there it was...the final orb...completely out in the open, not hidden whatsoever.

Dig Dug - There was an achievement for digging out an entire level, which is only moderately difficult to do, but for some reason, the achievement would not unlock. After doing it for the 5th or 6th time, it just magically unlocked.

There are achievements much harder than these that don't cause nearly as much frustration.

The Head Chomper achievement in Alien Hominid HD. I tried it one day, but I kept messing up at only 20-something and this was on the one Russian level where people have recommended doing it. I'll try it later when I have enough time and patience.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Pretty much any achievement, that requires you to be online or do something online, when there are absolutely no people who play that game online anymore.[/quote]

I agree.

Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting - Beating the game without losing a round
Scene It - Answering 60 questions without answering 1 wrong
Also there is a long list of XBLA achievements I don't even want to get into.

What bugs me the most is that i ever cared enough about a stupid achivement to let it ruin my game play experince ^_^

[quote name='djbooba']
Scene It - Answering 60 questions without answering 1 wrong
[/quote]
Matters if you're doing it truthfully or using Google to answer the questions. Also, you can just skip questions. It doesn't have to be 60 questions in a row.

[quote name='Codemaster']Matters if you're doing it truthfully or using Google to answer the questions. Also, you can just skip questions. It doesn't have to be 60 questions in a row.[/quote]
Yeah but there are only like 75 questions in a long game. I refused to cheat on a game like that. I'm proud of my 810 already.

chain killer in lost planet was hard for me took me like 2 weeks to get but i was really happy when i got it.and the glue achivement in Robotron: 2084 wasnt really hard just hectic

[quote name='bardockkun']I think I'll speak for my friend, she was playing Orange Box and trying to get the gnome achievement (where you carry it from beginning of the game to when you get to the rocket) thing is though one day I asked her how far she was in episode 2 and she said "The part where you have to defend the silo's, it's friggin impossible with the gnome." To which I nervously responded "Um, you know when you talk to the professor and meet up with everyone including Heady there's a hatch you're supposed to put the gnome in and that's how you get the achievement." "Are you fucking serious?" "..Yup." "..." I don't think she's gone back to the game since.[/quote]

I almost missed that one.

I knew the gnome had to go into the rocket, and so, I put him in there. No achievement. Figured it would eventually just unlock, so I moved onto the defending area.

Luckily, I had been staggering my gamesaves, so it was easy enough to just load the closest save. I didn't close the door on the rocket the first time, which activates the achievement.

There are plenty of aggravating achievements I haven't done probably not a lot that I have. :D

One that annoyed me a bit is Condemned having a cheesemint for completing the game using only melee weapons and another for firing a shot with every weapon in the game. I just thought it as a contrived way to force cheesemint whores into playing the game twice. (I didn't bother.)

But the most annoying cheesemints are the obnoxious online multiplayer ones like win 50 games or play online for 10 hours or get 5000 kills etc.

[quote name='wubb']There are plenty of aggravating achievements I haven't done probably not a lot that I have. :D

One that annoyed me a bit is Condemned having a cheesemint for completing the game using only melee weapons and another for firing a shot with every weapon in the game. I just thought it as a contrived way to force cheesemint whores into playing the game twice. (I didn't bother.)

But the most annoying cheesemints are the obnoxious online multiplayer ones like win 50 games or play online for 10 hours or get 5000 kills etc.[/quote]

I agree with the penguin, but I'll take it a step further...Any Cheesemints that involve online gameplay are the worst (I'm looking at you, Gears of War). Unless it's a dedicated MMO, the achievements should be available offline too.

Oh, and the one From Dead Rising where you have to kill over 40K zombies...how will I ever?!?

Call of Duty 4 Veteran: Call me crazy or lucky but I didn't have as much trouble with Mile High Club as I had just beating Veteran mode as a whole. Especially with that bloody TV station and the level after Shock and Awe. Mile High Club was all about practicing and perfecting a run, while the normal game on Veteran was just an exercise in frustration with the respawning and sometimes check points (No Fighting in the War Room :bomb:).

The Simpsons: The Game Timetrials: Maybe it's because I had a bad headcold at the time I rented it, was trying to get all the achievements before taking it back, and the game for some reason made me nauseous, but I still remember how crappy sitting there and grinding away all the time trials was.

Half-Life 2: I know it's nothing compared to the Gnome one but having to find all those Black Masa crates/caches was a pain due to no check points.

And that's about it on ones that I've completed. I still need to get around to finishing up Gears of War, Forza 2, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and I know all of those games have some really annoying ones. Espesally that 1,000 kills (GoW) and something about over 1million credits earned online (Forza2).

Oh by the way, welcome aboard OP. Be sure to try to join us for some CAG nights, they're a blast!

I just got the One Free Bullet achievement in HL 2 Ep. 1 and it was frustrating me. I figured it would be a fun challenge but I hated doing it. I really just wanted to shoot some people but I was so close to the end I just finished it out. I'll no longer sacrifice my enjoyment I get out of a game for some achievement.

I tried to get the cheesemint in Lost Planet for beating it on Extreme but I couldn't get past the first boss, tried for about 3 hours before I gave it up, that was very frustrating.

Getting the one in Blazng Angels for getting medals on every mission was tough, took me ages to get the medal on the Paris mission.

That level in COD2 on Veteran that someone mentioned earlier was frustrating as well, where you have to take the buildings then snipe from the top of the Silo. Took me ages till I realised you were best just running into the buildings and trying to find a safe spot.

Most annoying are online achievements, more specifically Ranked ones. Unless you buy a game on day one, you are never going to get those.

As for specific achievements:
Dead Rising: Saint - Took a few tries.
Zuma: Sharp Shooter - proud of that one. Very difficult.

Zuma: Score Champion - still don't have this one. This is a bitch of an achievement

[quote name='DarkRider23']I would have to say the orbs in crackdown and mile high club. Both are pain in the asses.[/quote]

I found all flags in Assassin's Creed, but I'm sitting on 499/500 agility orbs in Crackdown. I couldn't bring myself to run around the city for hours to find the missing one for the second time (I used a map, fucked it up somehow).

Yeah once I saw that Crackdown didn't number the orbs and let you see a sort of checklist (so you could check and see you need Orb #423 and then find it's exact location using a guide for example) I knew to save my sanity and not even bother trying for it.

Similarly I'm not even attempting to get the HL2 Epi 2 cheesemint for crushing every grub. Apparently there are over 200. No thanks. Debating whether or not to give up on the gnome one. I really need to try to finish that game this weekend.

[quote name='Number83']I agree with the penguin, but I'll take it a step further...Any Cheesemints that involve online gameplay are the worst (I'm looking at you, Gears of War). Unless it's a dedicated MMO, the achievements should be available offline too.[/QUOTE]

I'd pretty much agree with that. And if they are set up in a way that you can't get the cheesemint in a contrived game with friends (such as Halo 3's cheesemints only available on ranked lists) you inevitably get people asking to swap cheesemints instead of playing the game. So annoying.

Although it's too bad Halo 3 didn't have any obnoxious ones dealing with number of kills or number of games won/played. I play so damn much of that one I'd probably get them. :D

[quote name='Codemaster']Matters if you're doing it truthfully or using Google to answer the questions. Also, you can just skip questions. It doesn't have to be 60 questions in a row.[/QUOTE]

How can you use google to find the answers in enough time?

[quote name='ZForce915']How can you use google to find the answers in enough time?[/QUOTE]

I'll use IMDB.com and when I know the name of the movie (during the clip) I'll throw it in. They usually have some of the information no one knows (number of Oscar wins/nominations, year released, etc). Quicker than a google search but still effective.

[quote name='twen']Avatar was quite hard.[/quote]

That might have been the toughest 45seconds of my life for those 1000 points...

I tried simulating 30 seasons of madden for 400 points but man it was soooooo boring I gave up. pretty tough.

Also I lost an Oblivion fighters guild achievement to a glitch. Would have had to start all over again for 10 points. Really fucking sucks to have 990/1000 points

[quote name='ThatDamnDave'] I'm sitting on 499/500 agility orbs in Crackdown. I couldn't bring myself to run around the city for hours to find the missing one for the second time (I used a map, fucked it up somehow).[/QUOTE]

:lol: Same here.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Pretty much any achievement, that requires you to be online or do something online, when there are absolutely no people who play that game online anymore.[/quote]

Indeed. I would love to play Smash TV or TMNT Arcade online, but there is never anyone playing.

The hardest achievements to come by in any game I've played so far has to be Burnout Revenge. I played this game FOREVER and I only have like 245 points to date. The achievement where you have to have a top-ranked or most viewed crash video is just silly.

This is going to sound ridiculous, and it's definitely not my hardest achievement by any stretch, but for some reason I had a really hard time getting the Bluffing achievement in Uno. For whatever reason, something would always go wrong. Finally got it the other night, though, and it was very satisfying.

Crackdown
Orb Hunter - If you notice, I got it almost a YEAR after I did pretty much everything else in the game and that's after getting stuck at 499/500 on my first gamertag once before. They really should do like Burnout Paradise and tell you in which section of the city you are missing an orb. At least then you could narrow your search. Luckily for me when I went searching the other day I picked the right island off the bat (Shai-gen).

Call of Duty 2

Veteran - It's worse than Veteran on COD4, it's more annoying than Mile High Club. I freaking hate monster closet Nazis.

The Outfit
Prisoner of War & Victories Keep Piling Up - They're not really hard but I mean, come on, 500 wins AND 200 loses? Boosting it is taking forever with my friend. Imagine how bad it is legit.

E4
Master of the Extreme - Forget that you can't get hit once or your multiplier will reset, how about the fact that it will take almost 2 hours of continuous play to even have a shot at the achievement?

Kingdom Under Fire
Marguerite, My Love - Probably the most soul-crushing achievement I've actually bothered to get. It's so boring and so random, it's just the worst.

Streets of Rage 2
High Score - Way to make my favorite Genesis game a thorn in my ass, Sega. That fat, bald boxer at the end of Stage 5 can shaq-fu himself.

Puzzle Fighter HD
Chain of Jewels - There is little skill involved, just the luck of the draw as to if you get a lot of bomb orbs early on or not.

Mad Tracks
Ultra Fast Food - Again, a lot of luck is involved as you'll need almost non-stop boosting to get it and I never get that many boosts in a row.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Indeed. I would love to play Smash TV or TMNT Arcade online, but there is never anyone playing.[/QUOTE]

I'll second the TMNT, I've searched quite a few times and have never found anyone on there (though honestly, you can say that about most of the XBLA games)

Dead Rising - Zombie Genocide. This was more of a job than a game. I was reminded of forklift driving in Shenmue. I doubt I'll ever get 5/7-day survivor. It just sounds so dull. 14 hours without saving? Seriously? What were you thinking Inafune!?

[quote name='Corvin']Zuma: Sharp Shooter - proud of that one. Very difficult.[/quote]

Ugh, I came into this topic solely to mention Sharp Shooter. The problem with that one is more that it's totally based on blind luck than anything else.

It's like the 'get all hands at least once' achievement in Texas Hold 'Em... have fun tracking down the royal flush.

I love Dead Rising. I really do. I've beaten it at least half a dozen times and gotten all the achievements except:

5 and 7 day survivor

Those are pure, unadulterated bullshit. I dedicated an entire day to actually try them once and was doing incredibly well. I had two small chainsaws with all the weapon endurance books and I also managed to find all the food boosting books very early on as well. I was freakin' grade-A set. Fast forward six hours... I go into a wing of the mall to go grab some more food and I run into what's-his-hispanic-face (Carlos?) complete with .50 cal sniper rifle. "Ok, we'll make this a quick grab then just to be safe," I tell myself. Bam! He nails me and sends me flying ten feet backward into a nook between two store fronts knocking a huge chunk of my health off. Well, fuck me. So I get up and attempt to run out of the nook BUT just as I breach the opening, another shot rings out. Yeah, that's right - I'm permanently stuck in this fucking space. I tried everything: jumping, attacking, wrestling moves. Nothing worked. Just the predictable shot and my inevitable demise after six hours of hard work. I just whimpered and watched myself slowly bleed out after each futile escape attempt. I got royally screwed by a broken boss and bad geometry. what unbelievable bullshit.

Never attempted it since and never will. What a waste...

AI Hacking and Sabotage (I think) in Mass Effect. Those were the only ones I had left before getting 1000/1000 on that game, but they were the only biotic/engineering powers that you actually had to use on an actual target for them to count.

I think I just used Sabotage on my Mako over and over, and reloaded the same save game and rehacking a Geth over and over for AI Hacking. If you are wondering why I didn't actually bother to play the game to get those, I had already beaten it close to 4 times by the time I needed those last two. Couldn't stomach the game much further.

[quote name='mike.m']He left off a couple 0's. It took me 10 hours over 2 days non-stop.[/quote]

Not to bash anyone, but it really didn't take me more than 10 actual instances to complete Mile High Club. Of course, I was in that "if I die just run it again" state of mind that I got into while playing.

Two of the easiest achievements in Dead Rising, Photojournalist and the Artiste, and glitched for me. They're both photo-related ones, and it's possible to get them both when you reunite the two survivors on the roof. I've done it dozens of times, nothing.

[quote name='Callandor']Veteran achievements - COD2
Need I say more? One area in particular was just unfair. Then you had to be a perfect sniper afterwards. :bomb:
[/QUOTE]

I think I'm at that part actually....you have to fend off 5 waves of enemy attacks, they come into your building and you also have to blow up a vehicle and snipe guys across the way in buildings on the other side. Its really tough...I get to the last wave and get killed somehow.

[quote name='bardockkun']I think I'll speak for my friend, she was playing Orange Box and trying to get the gnome achievement (where you carry it from beginning of the game to when you get to the rocket) thing is though one day I asked her how far she was in episode 2 and she said "The part where you have to defend the silo's, it's friggin impossible with the gnome." To which I nervously responded "Um, you know when you talk to the professor and meet up with everyone including Heady there's a hatch you're supposed to put the gnome in and that's how you get the achievement." "Are you fucking serious?" "..Yup." "..." I don't think she's gone back to the game since.[/quote]

[quote name='mrchainsaw']I just got the One Free Bullet achievement in HL 2 Ep. 1 and it was frustrating me. I figured it would be a fun challenge but I hated doing it. I really just wanted to shoot some people but I was so close to the end I just finished it out. I'll no longer sacrifice my enjoyment I get out of a game for some achievement.[/quote]

Ill agree to those, The Rocket Man and One Free Bullet achievements were out there. Especially with driving with the Gnome in the car.

bread's done
Back