ZACK & WIKI! 300k Sold! BUY!!! $29.99 Now! IGN: 9.0! 1UP: 9.0! NP: 9.0! GS: 8.5!

[quote name='flizmo007']I asked about this game yesterday at Gamestop and got laughed at by the manager as well. He was laughing and saying. " You're kidding, right? Is this for you or your girlfriend?" What a dumbass.[/quote]

What a douchebag.

Well, I need a break from this homework, so I'll check a couple GS's and EBGames (maybe Best Buy, Target, and Circuit City, but I do have to get back eventually).

I'll let you guys know what I find (or don't find).

The Quest for the HOLY Game:

Step 1: GameStop #1

Err, what was that again? Zack and what? Yes, I know you called yesterday, I was confused yesterday, too... No, we don't have it.

Step 2: Optometrist place, 'cuz my glasses needed fixing. This isn't part of the story, but it's very important all the same.

Step 3: Hastings. Imagine the sound of the western right before a showdown... That whoooooosh of the wind. That's their NINTENDO section.

Step 4: Circuit City. Best quote ever:

"No, sir, I checked in the back, and we don't have it yet. You might want to get Carnival Games, though, it's also for the Wii..."

Step 5: GameStop #2

"That'd be forty bucks... Swipe your card again, please. Thank you."

Woo! Longest lunch break ever! The manual is awesome... It's first page beares the following text:

A SPECIAL MESSAGE FROM CAPCOM(R)
Thank you for purchasing ZACK & WIKI(tm): QUEST FOR BARBAROS' TREASURE for your Nintendo Wii(tm) computer entertainment system. CAPCOM(R) is proud to bring you this new addition to your video game library.

Man, you guys might not get this, but with all the TM and R stuff, I feel like I'm back to Monkey Island(TM) all over again!

[quote name='MarioColbert']The Quest for the HOLY Game:

Step 1: GameStop #1

Err, what was that again? Zack and what? Yes, I know you called yesterday, I was confused yesterday, too... No, we don't have it.

Step 2: Optometrist place, 'cuz my glasses needed fixing. This isn't part of the story, but it's very important all the same.

Step 3: Hastings. Imagine the sound of the western right before a showdown... That whoooooosh of the wind. That's their NINTENDO section.

Step 4: Circuit City. Best quote ever:

"No, sir, I checked in the back, and we don't have it yet. You might want to get Carnival Games, though, it's also for the Wii..."

Step 5: GameStop #2

"That'd be forty bucks... Swipe your card again, please. Thank you."

Woo! Longest lunch break ever! The manual is awesome... It's first page bares the following text:

A SPECIAL MESSAGE FROM CAPCOM(R)
Thank you for purchasing ZACK & WIKI(tm): QUEST FOR BARBAROS' TREASURE for your Nintendo Wii(tm) computer entertainment system. CAPCOM(R) is proud to bring you this new addition to your video game library.

Man, you guys might not get this, but with all the TM and R stuff, I feel like I'm back to Monkey Island(TM) all over again![/quote]

Zack and Wiki. It does exist!

I like how I'm quite illustriously represented in your picturesque signature. I'm the fifth from the left - and that's awesome.

I'll appropriate that image as my avatar after you retire your signature.

And man, the manual is already awesome big time. Looks bad assssss.

Found it at the first GameStop (first store) I went to. Used the 10% off coupon with no hitch.

Although I'm not letting myself play it until I get my tax research project done (due tomorrow) :(

(Also, the clerk assured me that if I didn't reserve games like Mario Galaxy, I would not be able to find them this holiday season. Too bad really, I was really hoping to play Ace Combat, Mass Effect, Mario Galaxy, Call of Duty 4, and the like... guess I'll have to wait til January)

[quote name='rupan_sansei']Woohoo! Scored a copy at lunch from Gamestop. This was after trying Toys R Us and Circuit City. The clerk looked at me funny upon hearing the name, then turned and found it in the pile of new shipment stacked behind him. It looked like they got 1, possibly two copies in. This reminds me of the original release of Katamari. Very low initial shipment, sold out, and word of mouth spread. By then, there were none to be found for a good while.[/quote]For now I'm equating it more to the first Phoenix Wright. We'll see how many copies Best Buy gets on Thursday.

Amazon had one copy left as of a few minutes ago.

Edit: Out of stock till 10/27.

[quote name='OMGpenguin'](Also, the clerk assured me that if I didn't reserve games like Mario Galaxy, I would not be able to find them this holiday season. [/quote]

OMINOUS! The guys at both GameStops have said that to me as well. I'm wondering if there's a GameStop memo that's all like "GET THE WII FANBOYS TO PREORDER SHITS."

I'm going to preorder SMG 11.01 - payday!

[quote name='MarioColbert']OMINOUS! The guys at both GameStops have said that to me as well. I'm wondering if there's a GameStop memo that's all like "GET THE WII FANBOYS TO PREORDER SHITS."

I'm going to preorder SMG 11.01 - payday![/quote]

I just find it hard to drop down any amount of money on something before it comes out. It's been a long time since I had any problem finding a game on or around its release day, and quite often, certain stores will have a sale on new release titles (most recently, $49 for Bioshock at CC on its release). Furthermore, I'm even more sketched-out about buying games at Gamestop, as I don't think they pricematch.

Hell, I decided I wanted to get a Wii the day it launched (in other words, I decided that morning), stood in line for 2 hours, and got one.

What does blow my mind, however, is how the Wii can end up in so many homes with the most limited software library. I think SMG will turn that tide, but as of now, I hardly play mine.

[quote name='MarioColbert']I'm wondering if there's a GameStop memo that's all like "GET THE WII FANBOYS TO PREORDER SHITS."[/quote]

You're partially right. The memo as of 10/24 reads as follows:

[quote name='Gamestop Higher-Ups']"GET EVERYBODY TO PREORDER EVERYTHING OR YOU WILL BE TERMINATED."[/quote]

One time I got the schpiel from a dude at the register and I just looked him in the eye and said "You guys are all fucking robots." He laughed nervously and looked away to say "Yeah..."

Having grown up with Sierra and LucasArts, the Wii's access to pre-GameCube software library has been keeping me plenty occupied. I'm also really, really busy, so for a while it was nothing but A Link To The Past and Metroid 3 (Super Metroid, if you want to be a dick about it) - since I never owned a SNES (though someone did give me their spare one).

[quote name='MarioColbert']Having grown up with Sierra and LucasArts, the Wii's access to pre-GameCube software library has been keeping me plenty occupied. I'm also really, really busy, so for a while it was nothing but A Link To The Past and Metroid 3 (Super Metroid, if you want to be a dick about it) - since I never owned a SNES (though someone did give me their spare one).[/quote]

Yeah, the virtual console is cool as hell, although it seems they're releasing a lot of "meh" games lately... they're probably saving a good batch for winter though. If they keep releasing solid games like SMW, Zeldas, etc, they'll keep getting my money, a couple dollars at a time.

And if anybody would like to suggest that the ROMs are available on the internet, and I'm wasting money, I'd like to know how iTunes got so sucessful (since music is easier than ROMs to procure)...

[quote name='OMGpenguin']And if anybody would like to suggest that the ROMs are available on the internet, and I'm wasting money, I'd like to know how iTunes got so sucessful (since music is easier than ROMs to procure)...[/quote]

Well, the illegals should only fix what needs fixing... Mother 1 / EarthBound 0 is a good example.

There are certainly titles that I really need to play through. In particular, StarFox 64 will be my next one, since unlike my awesome wife, I never owned a Nintendo 64. She ASKED HER PARENTS for one...

If you think that's awesome, it's not always so. Night before last, I was rudely awakened from a blissful nap, since I was required to play Zelda for her amusement. I'm not sure what the fuck I was dreaming about, but I know there was a huge axe and an umlaut involved.

More awesomeness.
It appears a lot of the extra, collectible stuff is fanservice from other Capcom games - like music, etc. I just played a minigame where the music was from Ghost and Goblins. There seems to be collectible characters from other games too.

[quote name='Scrubking']More awesomeness.
It appears a lot of the extra, collectible stuff is fanservice from other Capcom games - like music, etc. I just played a minigame where the music was from Ghost and Goblins. There seems to be collectible characters from other games too.
[/quote]

D00D that's awesome news. (Not really a bad spoiler, either).

Can't wait to get home. My wife's excited, too! 30 more minutes...

[quote name='botticus']Amazon had one copy left as of a few minutes ago.

Edit: Out of stock till 10/27.[/QUOTE]Well, this pisses me off. I pre-ordered at Amazon, but I have an "estimated ship date" of 10/29. If they had them in stock, they should have shipped them to pre-order customers.

Also, when you play the game make sure to exit to the main screen before you turn your Wii off or you might lose some items. The game just told me when I got to a certain area.

I just beat the fish stage and the way you drop the bomb in the water is so cool. This is what the Wiimote was made for. Awesome.

[quote name='Scrubking']Also, when you play the game make sure to exit to the main screen before you turn your Wii off or you might lose some items. The game just told me when I got to a certain area.

I
just beat the fish stage and the way you drop the bomb in the water is so cool. This is what the Wiimote was made for. Awesome
.[/quote]

Can you put stuff like that in spoilers please? Might not be an integral part but I prefer to see it rather than read about it. Maybe that isn't that big of a deal that you said that. If im wrong about the spoiler part tell me to shut up.

Also does this game autosave after puzzles, I had to run real quickly and I just turned the system off after the 1st part was cleared.
I was back in the base

Brilliant start for an adventure game. It's weird because you don't normally associated adventure type games with the feeling of urgency to get things done.

[quote name='schuerm26']Can you put stuff like that in spoilers please? Might not be an integral part but I prefer to see it rather than read about it. Maybe that isn't that big of a deal that you said that. If im wrong about the spoiler part tell me to shut up.

Also does this game autosave after puzzles, I had to run real quickly and I just turned the system off after the 1st part was cleared.
I was back in the base

Brilliant start for an adventure game. It's weird because you don't normally associated adventure type games with the feeling of urgency to get things done.[/quote]Yeah, I was they were a bit more clear on when it autosaved. But I approve of this game, scores are definitely accurate. Other than some jaggies during the cinematics, the graphics are fantastic; sound is decent; rest of the game is fantastic.

Made it through the third stage (difficulty 3/10). Died once right away there, but then I figured things out. It's all really quite brilliant. Pay close attention when they show you the overview of the level at the beginning, there might be important things there that are hard to see while you're playing.

The only motion I've had issues with so far is the grasping tool. I don't know if it's wanting me to use the IR or motion to move it around, but I've gotten it to work somehow.

There are also some amazing non-motion things they've come up with. Wait till near the end of the third stage.

[quote name='botticus']Yeah, I was they were a bit more clear on when it autosaved. But I approve of this game.

Made it through the third stage (difficulty 3/10). Died once right away there, but then I figured things out. It's all really quite brilliant. Pay close attention when they show you the overview of the level at the beginning, there might be important things there that are hard to see while you're playing.

The only motion I've had issues with so far is the grasping tool. I don't know if it's wanting me to use the IR or motion to move it around, but I've gotten it to work somehow.

There are also some amazing non-motion things they've come up with. Wait till near the end of the third stage.[/QUOTE]

I think it saves every time the main load screen comes up - you know the one with the hands holding the Wiimotes.

[quote name='Scrubking']I think it saves every time the main load screen comes up - you know the one with the hands holding the Wiimotes.[/quote]Makes sense. That and when you go back to the title page (if they don't show the load screen there, don't recall).

Just picked it up at my local GS. I had apparently called a different store when they told me that they received it but needed to process it. The store I just bought the game at had to dig through boxes until they came across this teeeny FedEx box with a couple of copies of Z&W along with some new Phoenix Wrights. Went ahead and picked up RE4 and Godfather:BE with the B1G1 50% off coupon while I was there =) Super stoked!

[quote name='schuerm26']My 1 minor gripe (and I emphasize minor) is that I wish I could move with the analog stick.[/QUOTE]

Then it wouldn't be a point-and-click adventure. ;)

What the hell?!

I tried Best Buy first. Nope they said they wouldn't get it until tomorrow.

Ok then I tried Circuit City. I asked and the guy brought it up and said the computer lists it as in stock. He goes to check the back. Comes back and says nope, go try Game Stop.

I hate Gamestop and I was tired of driving everywhere so instead of wasting my gas I called. Lady said she would look for it and never came back to the phone (they don't deserve my money anyway).

I call Walmart and the person took so long to look for the damn game their phone hung up.

So thats all fucking stupid. I am going to have to check again tomorrow.

Got my preorder puzzle from Gamecrazy, and a promise of 10% off because it wasn't in today because of "internal shipping problems"

Wish I had it today, but $4 off tomorrow or Friday is nice.

Its too bad this game won't sell well; its obvious that retailers are understocking this title.

To those who are playing this, did anyone else find the
maestro bit in the third/fourth stage
nigh impossible? I played it ten times and never did it right. If you beat it, what is the reward?

Other than that, solving the puzzles is really, really gratifying. I like holding the mote and thinking to myself "What is this supposed to be this time?"

[quote name='supershammy']I like holding the mote and thinking to myself "What is this supposed to be this time?"[/quote]
The answer to the fifth puzzle is 'a penis'. Stroke it hard!

[quote name='chakan']Got my preorder puzzle from Gamecrazy, and a promise of 10% off because it wasn't in today because of "internal shipping problems"

Its too bad this game won't sell well; its obvious that retailers are understocking this title.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I wish I had known about this preorder puzzle. I called GC and they didn't have it (the game) nor had any idea when they might have it... But I suppose this may be why ("internal shipping problems").

[quote name='chakan']Got my preorder puzzle from Gamecrazy, and a promise of 10% off because it wasn't in today because of "internal shipping problems"

Its too bad this game won't sell well; its obvious that retailers are understocking this title.[/quote]Wel crap, now I'm gonna have to hope that the store I go to tomorrow has puzzles, or I'm going to feel the need to search it out or feel ripped off.

[quote name='supershammy']To those who are playing this, did anyone else find the
maestro bit in the third/fourth stage
nigh impossible? I played it ten times and never did it right. If you beat it, what is the reward?

Other than that, solving the puzzles is really, really gratifying. I like holding the mote and thinking to myself "What is this supposed to be this time?"[/quote]
You're supposed to flick the remote whenever the note lines up with the red marker. Then when the squiggly lines come through, you're supposed to keep shaking it. I never managed to hit the squiggly lines part (missed the note before), but I got most of the other ones. You don't need to be perfect, seeing as how I wasn't. He turned into a chest with a secret treasure map (#3). Might be different depending on how well you do.

Got stumped for real at the first boss stage. Taking a break for now, but I'll be giving it another try before using the hint system for the first time.

[quote name='Scrubking']Then the other guy (manager?), started laughing when he found out I was picking up Zack and Wiki. I don't know if he was laughing at the name or what, but whatever.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='flizmo007']I asked about this game yesterday at Gamestop and got laughed at by the manager as well. He was laughing and saying. " You're kidding, right? Is this for you or your girlfriend?" What a dumbass.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about the rest of you, but everytime I pick up an adventure game at GameStop (or certain other stores), the employees always either laugh at what I'm buying or they are like WTF is this piece of crap and try to sell me something else with more action and violence.

And twice I've been stopped while buying a PC game by a GameStop employee because they wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting into by buying a PC game (they explained that it wouldn't work in a "playstation"). Are people that dumb that they don't know what games work in what systems? And are people that biased against adventure games?

[quote name='Legolas813']I don't know about the rest of you, but everytime I pick up an adventure game at GameStop (or certain other stores), the employees always either laugh at what I'm buying or they are like WTF is this piece of crap and try to sell me something else with more action and violence.

And twice I've been stopped while buying a PC game by a GameStop employee because they wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting into by buying a PC game (they explained that it wouldn't work in a "playstation"). Are people that dumb that they don't know what games work in what systems? And are people that biased against adventure games?[/quote]

Next time tell them that even though they may be trying to help you, they're only patronizing you instead.

Its too bad this game won't sell well; its obvious that retailers are understocking this title.[/QUOTE]

Wait, was it GameCrazy that had the puzzle or Gamestop? I have some credit at GameCrazy, so I'll buy it there if I can get the puzzle. Otherwise, I'll wait for that TRU 20% off coupon.

[quote name='Legolas813']Preorder bonus from Capcom: "For a limited time receive a free Zack & Wiki™ limited edition 3D lenticular puzzle with purchase." (You do have to pay around $7 for shipping, so it's not really free.)

BUT, it seems to say you can also get the preorder deal from GameStop, though I don't know if it has to be instore, since I see no indication of the bonus on the GameStop website.

"This Zack & Wiki lenticular 3D puzzle is now available as a free gift with purchase of Zack & Wiki: Quest For Barbaos' Treasure . This is an exclusive offer through Gamestop and the official Capcom Store. There are very limited quantities, so pre-order immediately."

[/quote]It was supposedly available through GameStop, not Game Crazy, so who knows what the deal is. The fact that there were so few games shipped and still not a puzzle with each one is sort of silly.

I had a hell of a tim getting this today. No I didn't pre order it but still I didnt think it would be so hard to find a stor copy. I went to 2 stores and a friend of mine at one of them said he would give me a call when it came in (It was stuck in transit in a box that also containd Phoenix Wright 3 and something else)

3 hours later I get the call and pick up Z + W for 36 after my 10% coup. They had no idea what the game was or what it was called which made me a little more confident abot my purchase.

man this game is hard. an obnoxious amount of text at the begining. i'm going to give myself some time with this one. right now i'm stuck at the fifth or sixth puzzle. i think i'm going to go back to mercury meltdown for the night.

i'm very impressed though. having a very good time. i hope i start to get better at some point.

I picked up my Zack and wiki from gamestop was gamestop getting the pre-order puzzles or is it gamecrazy and capcom's site only way to get it? I forgot to ask about that when I got it either way i'm glad I have the game.

I just started the game is pretty good so far.

[quote name='buttle']man this game is hard. an obnoxious amount of text at the begining. i'm going to give myself some time with this one. right now i'm stuck at the fifth or sixth puzzle. i think i'm going to go back to mercury meltdown for the night.

i'm very impressed though. having a very good time. i hope i start to get better at some point.[/quote]

Im with you on the hard part, not with you on the text part. As far as I recall (yes it is tough for me to recall 5 hours ago), I don't recall any overload of text.

Zack and Wiki, why I love adventure games and the exact reason I bought it day one. I want more point and click as the Wii is perfect for it.

The feeling of being stumped by a puzzle in an adventure game and then finally figuring it out is unmatched. I want a Broken Sword compilation for the Wii (also Monkey Island, Space Quest, Police Quest, any Sierra adv. game, plus some adventure game company games :))

Edit: Forgot Lucasarts old point and click games also (can't remember the name, but the one about the biker was great and so was The Dig)

[quote name='schuerm26']Edit: Forgot Lucasarts old point and click games also (can't remember the name, but the one about the biker was great and so was The Dig)[/QUOTE]

Full Throttle, Loom, Sam and Max, Indiana Jones, Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Islands, etc.

Got me through high school. :)

[quote name='schuerm26']Im with you on the hard part, not with you on the text part. As far as I recall (yes it is tough for me to recall 5 hours ago), I don't recall any overload of text.

Zack and Wiki, why I love adventure games and the exact reason I bought it day one. I want more point and click as the Wii is perfect for it.

The feeling of being stumped by a puzzle in an adventure game and then finally figuring it out is unmatched. I want a Broken Sword compilation for the Wii (also Monkey Island, Space Quest, Police Quest, any Sierra adv. game, plus some adventure game company games :))

Edit: Forgot Lucasarts old point and click games also (can't remember the name, but the one about the biker was great and so was The Dig)[/quote]

Lucasarts put out a pretty decent game in Thrillville for the Wii last week but it looks like its going to be horrible overlooked.

[quote name='Zen Davis']Lucasarts put out a pretty decent game in Thrillville for the Wii last week but it looks like its going to be horrible overlooked.[/QUOTE]

I'm hyped for the game, but I'm waiting for a significant price drop since I'll be spending too much money on Zack and Wiki and Super Mario Galaxy.

NERDFEST!

Man, Zack & Wiki is proper adventure, they weren't lying.

The bad news is that my Wii got the gfx glitches - I saw them during Twilight Princess, but the game looked "odd" on other systems as well. Now that Zack & Wiki's cel-shading is in, it leaves no room for doubt - my Wii is one of the defective ones...

Sad that I'm going to lose my LoZ:aLttP Savegame :(

Z&W: THE SPOILER IS A BIG ONE - DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU ARE FINISHED WITH THE FIRST AREA IN THE GAME.
Okay, ringing the bell and hiding to confuse the monster is an excellent puzzle. Also, I'm amazed when puzzles that _could_ be painful are not, such as finding the Scale Vase in the boss level, despite the fact that it CLEARLY appears to be out of your reach. Man, this game rocks. I need to replay the fountain level, because stupid fishing made me have a rank less than Unpuzzleable or whatever.

I hope you guys are right about this game. First time I have went out and blind bought a game on release day based on someone else;s opinion.

I love adventures games like the afore mentioned Dig, Maniac Mansion, Sam and Max, Grim Fandango...so I have very hogh hopes for this game.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Perhaps most have tried other stuff and didn't like it? Game's aren't art (to me anyway--but to each their own). I'm not going to subject myself to crap I hate like RTS games, MMORPGs etc. just to "experience the full range."

I just play some games to unwind and relax a couple evenings a week, no need for me to step out of genre's I love to play games in those I've tried and didn't care for.[/QUOTE]

Hey man, you're posting in a Zack & Wiki thread -- obviously you're not that limited in your genre preference. ;)

bread's done
Back