Zelda Breath of the Wild Special/Master Editions, Amiibo- Discussion

I still have doubts about whether BH photo and Nebraska Furniture Mart will actually get these, since Zelda: Breath of the Wild website only listed 6 retailers for the special edition (Amazon, Bestbuy, Gamestop, Target, Walmart, and Toys R Us). The fact that both BH photo and Nebraska Furniture Mart sold out so fast is an encouraging sign. But I know in the past, BH Photo would take preorders first and then ask Nintendo for stock, but the preorders usually also last much longer than this (like for the rare amiibos). If that's what they're doing again this time then yea, they're probably just trolling everyone.
I have ordered from NFM before and gotten the items so they're legitimate as others have pointed out. BH Photo is also a very legitimate business based in NYC, though they specialize in photography equipment and items as the name suggests. I've had to go to the B&M store for a class to pick up film, photo paper, as well as various other miscellaneous items. Also ordered a pair of AT-MX80 from them online too.

I have ordered from NFM before and gotten the items so they're legitimate as others have pointed out. BH Photo is also a very legitimate business based in NYC, though they specialize in photography equipment and items as the name suggests. I've had to go to the B&M store for a class to pick up film, photo paper, as well as various other miscellaneous items. Also ordered a pair of AT-MX80 from them online too.
Oh yeah, I know they're both legitimate retailers. But it still doesn't mean they won't put something up for preorders that they might not actually get. I know for a fact that it's happened before with B&H where they took preorders for rare amiibos that they eventually didn't get from Nintendo. I'll say it's 50/50 right now with this Zelda Special Edition, as I said earlier, the quick sellout is an encouraging sign that they may actually have stock numbers instead of blindly taking preorders.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seemed to be up for a day on BB. Gone in an hour at TRU.  And this was in the AM! If someone else lists this thing during daylight it'll be gone in moments.

It seemed to be up for a day on BB. Gone in an hour at TRU. And this was in the AM! If someone else lists this thing during daylight it'll be gone in moments.
I agree completely. The morning after the switch reveal, I noticed that the Master's edition was still up on Gamestop at both 5:30 am and 7:00 am. I do not know when it went live, other than it must have been after around 12:30 when I went to bed. Without the 20% GCU incentive, I didn't spend much time thinking about it and passed (regrettably, now). A short while later, it was OOS and the hype was starting to build (as people finally took notice that it was a LE).

By now, both the SE and ME are hot commodities and will undoubtedly sell out in minutes if/when more are available. Outside of random chance, I'd say the odds of any one person stumbling upon a new preorder are very slim.

I just hope this game doesn't fall into the bad areas of open world games like Final Fantasy XV, Mirrors Edge Catalyst, and Metal Gear Solid 5. I really enjoy Zelda games because you can complete them in pretty average time frame and feel a sence of accomplishment. I'm just too old for open world games these days and my play time is very limited, 2 hours a night almost. 

I've never had a problem doing three separate orders of anything gaming related limited to 1 copy at Best Buy. Done it many times.
Nobody knows for sure how it works but there have been reports from numerous cags over the years for getting orders cancelled and sometimes leading to online bans for placing multiple orders of the same item that had a quantity restriction. Lucky you that you don't have that restriction. I thought it was automatic but it makes you wonder if it's a manual process too.

As for the Zelda CE, this reminds me of how TLoU had two CE's that became rare over time. The TLoU Post Pandemic version is worth a ton of money on the secondary market but there was a second CE - the Survival Edition that even though wasn't as limited as the ultra CE version it still became very rare because it sold out anyways. I wouldn't look too much into TRU selling out so quickly though. Seems like TRU has scaled back on their emphasis on gaming like they used to in years past. I don't think TRU had as many quantities in the first place but the options to find the Special Edition are not going to be easy now.

I just hope this game doesn't fall into the bad areas of open world games like Final Fantasy XV, Mirrors Edge Catalyst, and Metal Gear Solid 5. I really enjoy Zelda games because you can complete them in pretty average time frame and feel a sence of accomplishment. I'm just too old for open world games these days and my play time is very limited, 2 hours a night almost.
When adulthood hits you hard. Ditto there m80.

2 hours a night is limited?

Two hours a night would be amazing, closer to two hours a week if I'm lucky.
Same for me as well. I'm lucky if I get any time it at all during the week, it's mostly on the weekend. The fact that Switch is portable though means I will probably have an easier time getting at least a little play time in during the week.

Two hours a night would be amazing, closer to two hours a week if I'm lucky.
The last couple of years have started to provide greater flexibility and time for non-essential activities (like gaming). There was about a 8-10 year window between the final years of graduate school and the first several of my current position where console gaming took a backseat and the vast majority of my gaming was handheld (DS, 3DS) for portability and pick-up-and-play. Even then, available time was limited and almost always sporadic. It didn't help that this same timeframe was when I met my wife, got married, and had 3 kids.

Although I started to pick up on console gaming with a PS3 about 3 years ago, I have to admit that I really like the suspend feature of the PS4 that I got this past holiday. With it, the time between 'on' and playing can be as low as ~20 seconds, making it much more amenable to situational, short-term play stretches. Of course, certain games (e.g. GTAV and Witcher III) are still best left for late night sessions after everyone else is in bed. :)

NFM is legit, B&H is legit but posts stuff all the time they can't fulfill. I wouldn't count on getting anything limited run related from B&H when it comes to video games.

I want the Master Edition, but can't get an order in. Debating on just ordering the Special Edition since the main thing I want is the case, but I am also getting married and my soon to be wife already wants to kill me for pre-ordering the Switch, so I may stick with the regular edition...... maybe..... :pray:
Things like this should't count since you're not married yet - grandfather clause.

Genuinely curious, not trying to play damage control here. Does playing a game in 720p actually hinder your experience at all? I've spent years and years doing animation and model building but even I have trouble noticing a difference between 720 and 1080p. I just can't help but feel like this over reliance on pixel count and frame rate is to compensate for actually enjoyable, memorable experiences.

Probably not the best place for what could potentially be a lengthy off-topic question, but I figured I'd put the question out there anyway.
If you have a large tv, it makes a difference, but 720 looks great. GTA V was 720p on PS3 and still looked nice.

If I cant get the Masters Edition at launch, I probably wont be getting a Switch at all for quite some time. And I'm the type that buys every system, games on every platform, etc. It's a misstep for Nintendo.

I can wait for a while and catch up on the pile of other games I have to play on PS4, XBONE, PC, etc
So you're not going to buy the Switch and Zelda game because you missed out on a more expensive version which included a cheap plastic sword figure? That is your reason? You bought every system? So how did you react when you missed out on a limited edition item for a particular system? I'm guessing you didn't miss anything since you bought every system.

If I cant get the Masters Edition at launch, I probably wont be getting a Switch at all for quite some time. And I'm the type that buys every system, games on every platform, etc. It's a misstep for Nintendo.

I can wait for a while and catch up on the pile of other games I have to play on PS4, XBONE, PC, etc
Funniest shit I've read for the day.

NFM is legit, B&H is legit but posts stuff all the time they can't fulfill. I wouldn't count on getting anything limited run related from B&H when it comes to video games.
I used to respect B&H until I saw them relist the NES CLASSIC for 99.99 LOL assholes

FYI, there's an Bestbuy.com employee over at nowinstock right now cancelling people's preorders for the SE and going against company protocol so people on nowinstock.com can get a chance to catch it and order it. He's giving people heads ups there to refresh.

Goddamit, it is available on best buy but only for store pick up, wish I could live in the US sometimes

For those that were able to secure a Master Edition on Best Buy, what was the purchase limit? 1 copy? I know that Amazon allowed people to order as many as 3. 

so because you can't get a crappy cheap plastic sword in a stone you won't buy a console?

LMAO

Imo, the master edition looks cheap.

It's only $30 for the master sword statue and on the demo it looked like cheap / soft plastic that was leaning to one side.

They should have treated their system seller (Zelda) and us consumers with much more respect then that IMO.

Master Edition:
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=226UkjiGQ4Y
Looks like most of the consumers on ebay don't agree or don't care. Sold pre-orders are going for between $300 and $400. Glad I got mine in at Gamestop lol.

Special Edition is still available on BB.com for instore pick up and it's driving me absolutely insane. Where is it?! Does anyone know?

so because you can't get a crappy cheap plastic sword in a stone you won't buy a console?

LMAO
And your point? I'm also passing on the Switch if I can't get a hold of either one of the special editions for Zelda. I'm tired of Nintendo's shitty business practices. I'm tired of having to find and settle for something over MSRP. This isn't a numbered edition so there's no reason for the quantity of the one marquee launch title, even if it's a special edition, to be so scarce.

Just because you disagree doesn't give you carte blanche to be rude

Nintendo doesn't want your business anyway... I wish lurkers would just stay lurkers! =/ How many CE's, SE's or LE's are even numbered? If I wanted to hear some whining I would wake my kids up right now. If it makes you feel any better I got more than one.

FYI, there's an Bestbuy.com employee over at nowinstock right now cancelling people's preorders for the SE and going against company protocol so people on nowinstock.com can get a chance to catch it and order it. He's giving people heads ups there to refresh.
[media]https://youtu.be/QGIjISeW8QM[/media]

How long was the Master Edition lasted on Best Buy? Have 2 from Gamestop but would had been nice with GCU discount.

I looked on their site for this, is there a forum there?

I'm having issues with their website accepting credit card payment - is anyone else having the same problem?

Still up for preorder 2.5 hours later?  If only the ME gave us this chance...

Also I had issues on mobile.  I kept getting an error when trying to checkout, but it was no problem on my PC.

And your point? I'm also passing on the Switch if I can't get a hold of either one of the special editions for Zelda. I'm tired of Nintendo's shitty business practices. I'm tired of having to find and settle for something over MSRP. This isn't a numbered edition so there's no reason for the quantity of the one marquee launch title, even if it's a special edition, to be so scarce.

Just because you disagree doesn't give you carte blanche to be rude
So stop being lazy and pre-order one of the 30 different pre-orders options for the special edition that have popped up.

Still up for preorder 2.5 hours later? If only the ME gave us this chance...

Also I had issues on mobile. I kept getting an error when trying to checkout, but it was no problem on my PC.
It's probably because they limit to 1 per customer. Bestbuy had this limit as well and it lasted 2 days there.

bread's done
Back