CAGcast #62: Blu-ray Blues

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
CheapyD loses his Blu-ray virginity and takes the Hype Wagon for a spin. Wombat and Cheapy both discuss the latest Xbox 360 demos, industry and game shopping news, your questions from the CAGbag, and much more!

Listen for details on new contests, sponsored by GameBrink.com and Phoenix Wright 2. To enter, simply post the name of the game you want (that was mentioned as a potential prize) as part of your post.

Winner will be chosen at random.

Don't forget to:
Not a Digger? Register (it helps the CAGcast and is fast, easy, and free)
Add CheapyD & Wombat as your Digg friends!

Download - 80 minutes, 37MB
(Review us)
RSS feed - Add to Google - Add to My Yahoo - MySpace
Past CAGcasts

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast62.mp3[/media]

Show Linkage/Notes
:

Intro music: Arkanoid medley (NES)

Contest winner: easper : Phoenix Wright 2

New Releases

Killzone 2 coming this summer?

Lost Planet Cost $40 Million
http://www.whatswrongwithu.com

DVD Empire Exits Gaming Business & Explains Why - explanations
Lucky Lunar New Year Sale & Contest at Play-Asia - main sale page

University of Rochester: Action games improve vision

CAGbag

Digg the CAGcast
MySpace

Outro: Sega Master System

Bonus Pictures

Star Wars 500th Figure: Darth Vader

HMV Ginza's Blu-ray Selection
blurayselection.jpg

Wombat Gives Cheapy some Robolove

Japan Wood Xbox 360 Faceplate
engrishfaceplate1.jpg

engrishfaceplate2.jpg

Downloading the show now--looking at the 360 faceplate I can tell you that I'd pay the full US$20 American retail for a faceplate for that one. I have the US version faux Wood faceplate witht that crappy red stripe. Anything I can do to not make my living room look like game central is great.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Womblat always talks about buying an upscaling DVD player...but why not just get a VGA cable for your Xbox 360? Instant upscaler.[/QUOTE]

Probably because his video game machine can only play video games. Even if it has the other features, he only wants it to play video games.

Where's the Digg link for the new episode ?

[quote name='CheapyD']
Not sure how/when that gets updated....[/QUOTE]

I see , it's out of your hands . I'll check later in the day .

Phoenix Wright 2 , please , to go with my recently aquired stylus .

6b0d_1.JPG

Hopefully my request will be sustained!! .

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Womblat always talks about buying an upscaling DVD player...but why not just get a VGA cable for your Xbox 360? Instant upscaler.[/quote]For me, that doesn't help as I have USA 360 which won't play JPN DVDs.

[quote name='Richlough']Where's the Digg link for the new episode ?[/quote]Not sure how/when that gets updated....

wow just finished episode 61 this morning....

hows the hd dvd selection in japan?

and cheapy you bought madden... nooooooooooooooooooo

Yeah, so my dad bought a ps3 as a blu-ray player so he could watch some movies on his 62" hdtv in the basement. After I ordered the cheap hdmi cables with a link from CAG he finally got everything set up for a full hd movie experience.

Turns out his year old 60+ inch tv doesn't support 1080p. And the curses flew.

Also, if you have any copies of Phoenix Wright 2 still hanging around... well... look no further.

Cheapy,

The problem you had with the audio from the blu ray movie was that it probably defaulted to a track your receiver doesnt support like DTS HD audio. This happened to me on Saw 3. If you do not change it to regular DTS or DD ex your reciever will only accept it as Dolby Pro Logic.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is the greatest western of all time.

Toss my name into the hat for Socom please. :D

I really enjoy the PodCast. As a fellow PS3 owner I have to agree with Cheapy, it is nice to have but it I really only use it to check my messages on it, and occasionally jump on a game of RFOM.

I ordered a copy of RailFan from Play-Asia, I am kind of excited about that, waiting for that to arrive. Another Cheapy recommendation.

If Cheapy ever gets around to calling out my name for a free give away I would like th PSP - SOCOM II Fireteam Bravo.

Look forward to hearing the interview from the game store owner.

And one last thing this whole comment of Tombstone being the greatest western every? Come on! I will definately put it in the top 5, but I think we are forgetting a really great western Unforgiven.

Keep up the good work, I am hoping to see a really tall, bald Mii of Cheapy show up on my Wii some day HINT HINT, that is my friend code at the bottom of your un entered friends request.

Good Stuff. I live in Wisconsin and the temperatures are insanely cold. Without the CAGCAST to help pass the time as I walk to and from campus I would surely die.

Wombat Rules, but not as much as Cheapy

Wario is my game of choice.

:lol: I never noticed that all of Ubisoft's games involve killing Mexicans.

Listening to the show at work. I have too many games I still need to play. Right now most of my playing is done on the DS on the subway. I'm halfway through PW 2 and it is great for the subway, I can play with one hand. Wario may require more dexterity but I'd like to try.

Just finished listening to the show. Another great show as always.

I see Wombat was holding out on us and was thinking about keeping a PW2 since now there are 3 available. Just kidding man :D Thank you and your connections for getting us more prizes!

By the way, I think all those years playing NES helped my eyesight as well. I used to have to wear glasses all the time through elementary school. I got my NES in the 4th grade and I haven't had to wear glasses on a regular basis ever since.

Sign me up for Wario please.

The first Blu-Ray disc to give me a real "wow" moment was Open Season. The movie isn't so hot, but man, the visuals on that disc are gorgeous.

By the way, don't use a FAQ for Hotel Dusk. Some of the puzzles are tricky--and definitely take some out-of-the-box thinking--but you'll get much, much more satisfaction out of solving them. Some are really satisfying and use the DS in ways you've not seen before. Sack up and beat it like a man. ;)

Wow, some pretty good stuff this episode. I must say I'm shocked Wombat bought CheapyD something. Maybe you're not that much of a mooch after all.

I'm also sad to hear Child's Play has yet to cash the check. Maybe next year Cag should do Toys for Teens which gives pimple faced poor kids toys they'd want to use like video games.

Wario is Wright

This is the first episode that I've listened to. Of course I have to give the obligitory "you guys sound different than I thought" but nowhere near as silly as the PA guys sound.

Toss me in for Phoenix Wright 2 please.

Great show guys. Killzone 2....meh..

Blue Ray/HD DVD I'm still up on DVD's like most people.

Also! I would LOVE Phoinex Wright 2: Justice for all!!

Can't wait wait to listen to this week's show--gonna dl or stream it later today. And shit, why haven't I gotten the VGA cable for 360 yet? Definitely gonna look for one asap.

Still jonesing for Phoenix Wright 2, to get that part of the post out of the way. Please, thank you!

Cheapie: Get an upscaling DVD player man! Or maybe we can convince Microsoft to add that to the 360? :)

Killzone: Liberation for me :)

wtf cheapy are u kidding me what about winning eleven 2k7 wow cheapy why
didnt u mention it wtf cheapy im very dissapointed in the cagcast

Wombat.

I have known game developers for some time and the PS3 dev was much delayed, as Sony provided early dev boxes Hardware only at first. There were no code libraries to work with. It was all guess work, developer could not get the hardware to do anything, and it was just too complex. Several developers just did NOTHING with it, as Sony seemed (very early on...!) was not taking the next gen very seriously, or was very arrogant.

Even by the time the Xbox360 was on the market most developers still had nothing running on the dev systems, plus the specs were still changing up to the release date.

Cheapy is correct as all early PS3 dev was only smoke and mirrors.
God of war 2 was probably started even BEFORE the first one was done.

IMHO, in the end PS3 will still be the better console than XB360, as the Xbox360 support is so poor in Japan; however it may take much more time to mature than what the PS2 did.

I agree with Wombat's comment about Doors that DON"T BEHAVE LIKE DOORS. It drives me nuts too. I would also prefer a well laid out game levels that have consistent elements and player friendly clues or icons, as it is much more enjoyable than a "sandbox" game with invisible walls, and environmental features that are inconsistent with player expectations.

Great show guys!

yo cheapy you actually got the tombstone quote right doc holiday says his hypocrasy knows no bounds at the end of the movie when hes in the hospital about to die after he got blessed by a preist or something. and i love tombstone too but the best western ever is in fact the good the bad and the ugly. they need to make that into a videogame asap because the story is perfect for one and the bridge blowing up scene would be a great level to play.

and another thing when are you going to do more music videos and song mixes with videogame music? ass and tetris is still a big fave of mine and id like to hear more of your stuff if youve done any.

and again to wombat stfu about god of war 2 needing to be on the ps3. nobody really even has a ps3 so why waste a choice game liek that on a system only a couple hundred thousand peopel own when you can sell the game at full price on a system millions of people own? next thing you will want them to put mgs 4 on the ps4 because it could help future sales to know theyd need to buy the next game system to get the best possible mgs game yet.......though i doubt there will be a ps4 at this rate.

Great Episode. And you should get VF5, I wanna hear your opinion on it. I would love to get the second Phoenix Wright.

I deserve Phoenix Wright because thanks to my lease on my car being up and owing $10K for the buyout, I haven't been able to afford a DS game since Animal Crossing Wild World! I'm desperate for DS lovin! A copy of Killzone: Liberation wouldn't hurt either.... Unfortunately it's the same deal for the PSP... I own gripshift, and that's all. =( Please have pity!

I thought Wombat's James Bond mixed with Smokey and the Bandit comment was hilarious.

I'd be down for Killzone Liberation if picked.

Comments about the patches from Activision made me think of all the old Atari manuals that had the picture of the ONE programmer that made the game with a little message from him and asking you to write him a letter and tell him if you could beat his game. Great show!

Phoenix Wright 2 for me please.

Nice show, not as on-point as most, but certainly not bad. I wish you would pick up VF5, Cheapy, but I know I'm waiting for it on 360 so I can play online, and be a better fighter. It was the only thing that was possible to add to VF4:Evo.

I am also surprised no mention of Winning Eleven on 360. Excited!

Good show as usual. I'm enjoying both Blu-rays and HD-DVDs (thanks to the PS3 and the 360 add-on). If you have an HDTV, I think you'll see a great improvement over DVDs. If you don't see the difference right away, find the same title on DVD and on HD-DVD or Blu-ray. Play them both on two different inputs on your TV and toggle between those inputs. I did that with Batman Begins, and the difference is pretty drastic. Is it worth the investment? If you're a serious movie nut or an A/V geek, I'd say so. Otherwise, you might as well wait until the player prices come down.

As for the contest, did I hear you guys correctly? Is Motorstorm one of the Gamebrink offerings? If so, I'd like to be entered for that. I played the Motorstorm downloadable demo a few weeks back and didn't really enjoy it. Then, after reading a number of positive impressions, I went back to it a few days ago and something clicked. Now I'm really looking forward to the U.S. release. Of course, if I can win the Japanese version for free, I'm down with that! This is Cheap Ass Gamer, after all!

Good show. That Blu-Ray section in Japan is pretty funny. I do think you were a bit unfair toward the technology, though, as most of the things you complained about were the result of user error (granted, these things should be designed much, much better from an end-user perspective, but still).

Also, I would enjoy a copy of Phoenix Wright 2. I would enjoy it thoroughly.

haven't listened to it yet (will soon though), but glad to see you are working with gamebrink, possibly the best import review site I check daily.

also, I vote Wario.

Another good show, guys. But, Wombat, how do you really feel about X-Men3?

Phoenix Wright 2 looks like fun.

Definately an oversight on not mentioning Winning Eleven...my bad!
I'm a fan, most definitely. The game has been out in Japan and I've seen it at kiosks. It looks pretty good, but maybe not as great as I was hoping.

I'm curious about the reviews...

bread's done
Back