CAGcast #62: Blu-ray Blues

A good thing about Blu-ray Disc is that it would make a good and shiny coaster for my Nintendo DS/Lite with Wario: Master of Disguise.

Does Wombat not understand that Microsoft is made up of different divisions of people? Whatever department is busy putting movies on XBLM has absolutely nothing to do with who is developing the games. Do you think a guy programming the graphics is moonlighting as someone negotiating what episodes of some new Spike TV series will show up on the marketplace?

Absolutely nothing to do with each other, in relation to company resources. Completely eliminating the TV & Movie XBLM would do nothing to change the development process of XBox games. You can be mysteriously bitter about them doing more than just playing games, but if you're going to take them to task, at least make it for something legitimate.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Does Wombat not understand that Microsoft is made up of different divisions of people? Whatever department is busy putting movies on XBLM has absolutely nothing to do with who is developing the games. Do you think a guy programming the graphics is moonlighting as someone negotiating what episodes of some new Spike TV series will show up on the marketplace?

Absolutely nothing to do with each other, in relation to company resources. Completely eliminating the TV & Movie XBLM would do nothing to change the development process of XBox games. You can be mysteriously bitter about them doing more than just playing games, but if you're going to take them to task, at least make it for something legitimate.[/QUOTE]

I understand but my point was that Microsoft is still spending money in order to have this Movie DL service. This money ( of course I can not back this up) is still money that would be in the budget for the 360 department, money that if not spent on movies could be spent,(this is pure speculation) on game related things. Again this just what I think is possible and in no way fact.

KillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZoneKillZone Liberation.

Great show,Cheapy and Wombat.

[quote name='CheapyD']Definately an oversight on not mentioning Winning Eleven...my bad!
I'm a fan, most definitely. The game has been out in Japan and I've seen it at kiosks. It looks pretty good, but maybe not as great as I was hoping.

I'm curious about the reviews...[/QUOTE]

OXM gave it an 8.5 in their latest issue. A quick summary:

:) Fantastic, play-making AI
:) Unrivaled depth of player control and field strategy
:cry: Players sometimes look like painted store mannequins
:whistle2:# Why does this series series continue to get some team names wrong?

FIFA's 07's independent ball is sorely missed, though, and the plastic players' jerky, poorly blended animations lack next-gen polish. Bur for sheer plesure of play, nobody can touch this game's winning spirit.

BTW, nice show guys.

gg Phoenix Wright!

great show guys. loved how you had arkanoid as the opening. That was the only NES I actually loved (I began as a PS1er). Keep up the good work.

Oh and I'd love to get PHEONIX WRIGHT 2 for my brother. Its his birthday coming up, and Hes doing his LSATs right now and losing his mind, so i thought Itd be nice if he could yell "Objection!" in the middle of his law class. Anyways, have a good week.
-G$

Update: Ya'll been dugged

motor storm and im kinda fed up with wombats bitching about everything nooffence Womat though i liked how u read the ROBOCOP thing anyway good show guys motorstorm would be cool to get as a freebie i think its cool that these companys are "Sponsoring" the cagcast now only if we could get more "sponsors".

PS cheapy how do u determine if the ppl win wat do u use.

I'm totally down for Phoenix Wright 2 sounds pretty cool

I loved the CAG Cast today, I listened to it at school during my PACE and Social Studies class

Wario please?

That Darth Vader fig is definetly worth $4

Never saw it on sale and regret it a bit for not getting it.

why wasnt Crackdown on neither of the hypewagons?? That game looks like its going to be so awesome! Cheapy, I too play that damn demo every once in a while and feel like I want more when that damn timer shuts me down!
BTW Phoenix wright 2 please!

Listened this morning but didn't have a chance to post. Great show again, regarding Diddy Kong racing i just don't understand why RARE would develop it and then remove their characters from the game. I am looking forward to ICONS to but you also brought up custom character which is now on my mind. Usually they would have advertised if that was a feature by now, but i doubt they took it out. Just curious but are you an actual rap fan or just like the fighting style? I dislike xbox live arcade i have $60 of points but just waiting for game add ons rather than arcades.

MOTORSTORM:bouncy:

Good show, though I found it odd that Wombat claimed to prefer linear games, yet has such an infatuation with Oblivion, one of the most open-ended games in existence.

Can I get me some Phoenix Wright goodness?

"Well, that's because in Japan they love Uncle Jesse."
-Wombat

You know what's funny? I actually do watch Full House sometimes and in season 6 episode 4 Uncle Jesse goes to Japan to sing that "Forever" song and the Japanese people loved it! Have mer-cy.

P.S. Phoenix Wright

I've been listening to the show for a couple months now. I love it. Finally decided to get an account so I could enter the contest. :)

I want the Killzone game for the PSP.

It's so cool that you can listen to Stern in Japan. I download the show every morning off usenet and listen on my iPod at work. In fact, I'm listening to the Wrap Up Show right now. They're talking about Ralph wanting an assistant. :)

I'll take wario if i win, and thanks in advance, you guys rock! Love the show. Always put it on the ipod and listen to it between classes.

Hey, I enjoy the show. I just started listening about 2 weeks ago and I have alreadly listened to the entire backlog in reverse order. It was kind of fun listening that way. There was some things I didn't understand like why did Wombat call Wendy's "Freckle Bitches" for no apparent reason, until I went back and time and realized it was brought up during a discussion of Saint's Row.

Keep up the good work.

Also, I would like a copy of Phoenix Wright 2.

Cheapy,

Never picked up on the fact that you're a Rochester alum...I went to school in Ithaca--played some Halloween ultimate at U of R...Think they called the tourney the Danse Macabre.

Keep up the great work!

PS
Phoenix Wright 2. Just finished the wonderful Hotel Dusk--need to satiate my adventure game fix.

very great show guys, im with wombat though on the linear games,i prefer them aswell.i always seem to get bored of big open ended games yes including gta, i rather do something then just wander but thats just me.

ps: would like motorstorm!!

Good Show - Cheapy, sorry to hear about your bad tombstone experience but you forgot, "Never get out of the boat."

I'd like Phoenix Wright 2 please, I'm due to finally win one time.

Nice show guys, loved the Tombstone Reference. But I have to disagree with you about it being the best Western of all-time. It's in my top 5 but not at the very top. My vote for greatest Western ever goes to Unforgiven. That movie defines the word BADASS.

BADASS kinda like Phoenix Wright 2 M I RITE?!?!!?!? ;)

great show, i caught the comment about juggernaut and leech, and the reason that juggernaut was affected is because, contrary to comic book canon, in the movie, juggernaut is a mutant. No magic jewel, no relation to xavier, he's not the juggernaut we know and love. He was australian too! Sucks...

Oh, and Wario for me

Good Show

I don't understand all the hate that Viva Pinata gets, I am starting to wonder if people are even giving it a shot before they go out there and say all the negative things about it. I was suprised that Bill Gates would say something like that considering VP is a first party game.

Please throw my name into the drawing for Phoenix Wright 2. Thanks.

Another great CAGcast, keep it up.

For your Blu-ray blues, it might be a good idea to start doing your research before buying a movie. You just never know what could happen to you now a days. ;)

Sign me up for Killzone Liberation please.

Cheapy,

I don't have an upscaling DVD player but I do have my PS3 and have watched a blu-ray movie in 1080i- the difference between that and standard def (480p) DVDs is night and day. I definitely recommend trying to set up your PS3 with the TV so that you can at least watch movies in 1080i.

As for the movie's menu thing- you can access it but yeah, IIRC the movies do just start playing. I remember having to mess with the SIXAXIS to get it to show the first time I popped in a blu-ray.

My main complaint with using the PS3 (or the PS2) as a movie player is that you can't stop a movie, power off, and then come back to the movie at the exact same spot the next day. My 480p Sony DVD player can do this for 5 different DVDs at a time.

Edit: I guess I'll go in for Phoenix Wright 2 if I'm picked.

Excellent use of the music from one of my top five all-time favorite games, Arkanoid. I pretty much majored in Arkanoid for two semesters in college.

Didn't Wombat ask the readers last week about why God of War 2 wasn't on PS2 and why PS3 wasn't released this fall? I'm surprised there was no mention of the responses on the show.

Also, Wombat, only GRAW 2 is made by French developers. The original GRAW was made by Red Storm, who's from North Carolina, and R6 Vegas was made by Ubisoft Montreal. ;)

Another thought for Wombat, EA games have had "achievements" for several years now. ;)

Also, much of the content of God of War 2 was made during the development of God of War, so making GoW2 for PS2 was a no-brainer.

Good show anyway. I'd like to get Killzone if I ever get picked.

Hey guys. Been listening to the podcast for a while now, and have done some trading with fellow cags, but this is my first post.

I'm a freelance writer/illustrator, and the show helps the long hours pass as I work through the night. PLease keep up the amazing work.

Sign me up for Phoenix Wright 2, should I be lucky enough to get picked. Thanks!

GRAW 2, frankly, does seem like a more-of-the-same sequel. It's "Fallout 2" to GRAW's "Fallout."

Well, at least Ubisoft didn't make "Red Steel" a game where you travel to Mexico and people keep calling you gringo over and over and over again. :cool:

Still hoping to get Phoenix Wright 2, though I think I'll pick up Hotel Dusk after Cheapy's positive impressions.

I disagree with nothing on the horizon for months bit. I think the Wii gets a poor shake.

I'm surprised at the lack of mention of the upcoming Wii Sonic game(12 days out). It seems to be getting good buzz and the videos look impressive. IGN thinks it is a difficult game, which is good. I know it is easy to dismiss the little blue guy these days, but Secret Rings looks like a solid entry into the franchise.

Also Mario Party 8, which is right around the corner. I haven't been a fan since the first one, but am looking forward to checking it out on the Wii.

Where's the Wii Love? Cheapy, is Wii Play worth it?

I'd love a copy of Phoenix Wright. :)

We actually talked about Wii Play in detail a month or so ago.
I think I'll go back over it next week (its US release week).

I haven't played Red Steel...does part of it really take place in Mexico or was that a joke?

[quote name='Corvin']I disagree with nothing on the horizon for months bit. I think the Wii gets a poor shake.

I'm surprised at the lack of mention of the upcoming Wii Sonic game(12 days out). It seems to be getting good buzz and the videos look impressive. IGN thinks it is a difficult game, which is good. I know it is easy to dismiss the little blue guy these days, but Secret Rings looks like a solid entry into the franchise.

Also Mario Party 8, which is right around the corner. I haven't been a fan since the first one, but am looking forward to checking it out on the Wii.
[/QUOTE]

Actually, you just stated the problem with the system: We're getting a Wii Sonic game and Mario Party 8. I hardly believe that Sega is capable of making a decent Sonic game with the Wiimote when they butchered the PS3 and 360 game....

Cheapy, that PS3/Oblivion line about not having enough memory sounds like a bunch of bull. Storing additional content should have nothing to do with RAM. The system's memory is used for immediate access not additional content. 1UP must be seriously mistaken.

I'll take motorstorm even though I don't have a PS3. Someday...

[quote name='CheapyD']We actually talked about Wii Play in detail a month or so ago.
I think I'll go back over it next week (its US release week).[/QUOTE]

I thought you did. It would be great if you could touch on it again since it is just now getting a release here.

Thanks! Love the cagcast, btw.

[quote name='Chacrana']Actually, you just stated the problem with the system: We're getting a Wii Sonic game and Mario Party 8. I hardly believe that Sega is capable of making a decent Sonic game with the Wiimote when they butchered the PS3 and 360 game....[/quote]Then be happy that the project lead for Secret Rings essentially has no association with any previous Sonic game.

I have to agree with the post about Open Season. It's by far the best-looking Blu Ray movie I've seen. Plus, I enjoyed it for what it was. That movie and the HD-DVDs of Batman Begins and King Kong are among those that truly show the difference between high-definition movies and regular DVDs, or upscaled DVDs for that matter.

Regarding GRAW 2, I'm pretty sure very little of it takes place in Mexico, perhaps just the tutorial level. At least I hope so.

[quote name='oldschoolgoth']Nice show, not as on-point as most, but certainly not bad. [/quote]
I think its because the the past few had some controversial discussions which really spiced it up.

And yet again... Cheapy made it out clean with not gas. Whats going on? New diet? GasX strips? Not for nothing don't hold back on our account the last thing we want is a sick Cheapy.

Can you (or anyone really) get sick by not "relieving" gas?

MotorStorm

bread's done
Back