The - PERSONA 3 / PERSONA 3 FES - Thread! (FES OUT NOW! $30!)

MarkMan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Got Persona 3, just started it and I'm gonna play through a good amount tonight(hopefully)... haven't played through an RPG in awhile(Dragon Quest VIII), so I hope this one is good... :)

I've been looking forward to it though... if anyone has any questions on the game please fire away... I'll try to answer and post my impressions soon.

Real quick... about the start of the game...

I was wondering if there are any actual differences storywise/gameplay wise aside from the obvious between choosing EASY/NORMAL modes?

Okay after about an hour of play, I'm happy to say I'm enjoying it... again I really like the art direction/look and feel of this game... The English voice acting is better than I thought it would be and the cut scenes are really well done...

The game is VERY Japanesey compared to most RPGs that make it out here... I'll be devoting as much time as I can to this game within the next week...

Has anyone played through the Japanese version by any chance?

Only diff between Easy/Normal is exp gain and generally 'stronger' enemies.

Also, I think I've seen MarkMan state that he's a reviewer, just don't know for whom.

I hope Persona 3 is as good as Persona 2 when it comes to characters and storyline.. Persona 2 had one of the best stories in any RPG I've played. Give us good news MarkMan. :)

I need to go pre-order this later. I tried to do that a week ago and the EB clerk had no idea what I was talking about...

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I need to go pre-order this later. I tried to do that a week ago and the EB clerk had no idea what I was talking about...[/QUOTE]
The game has Shin Megami Tensei prefixed to it, so make sure they search for that.

[quote name='Starky27']The game has Shin Megami Tensei prefixed to it, so make sure they search for that.[/quote]
Yeah, I thought about it afterwards.

I am really interested in this game, the grapnics are my kind of style.

Plus I hear that a large portion of the game occurs outside of dungeons, which pleases me.

Doubt I'll be finished with DDS1 + 2 by the time this comes out, but I'm going to get it soon afterwards.

I'm going to throw out a question for the OP:

How is the flow of the game? My main gripe with action RPGs is the transition to battle screen/reward tally at the end of a fight bogs down the gameplay. Games like Kingdom Hearts avoid this but feature hordes of boring enemies.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Random dungeons + only control one character = me scared to purchase. I'm looking forward to any impressions you have, MarkMan.[/QUOTE]

Wait, you only control one character, as in the others are auto controlled?

Ugh...

[quote name='Roufuss']Wait, you only control one character, as in the others are auto controlled?

Ugh...[/QUOTE]

That is exactly how it works, sadly :/

You know, I keep forgetting about the whole 'control 1 character' thing. I didn't like it in Dragon Quest IV, and I can't imagine liking it now.

[quote name='willardhaven']Only half the game involves dungeons, the other half is supposed to be Bully-esque class schedules.[/QUOTE]
I'm very interested now. Sounds cool.

man I wanna play this game so much, but my rpg backlog is 3 games strong in regards to this particular game.

Persona 3 is like my reward for finishing those other 3 games!

Alright, a few more impressions... I'm a few hours in... the game has a good mix of dungeon crawling and social interaction type of gameplay... I'm really enjoying it... I'd play it more actually if it wasn't for all this Tekken 6 news being released lol.

The battle system is good, although as said earlier, you only really take control of the main character...

Voice acting is impressive for this title, but that's just my two cents...

More later...

Is there alot of anime cutscenes?

Does the game have an emo feeling?
Considering the whole "shooting to the head" thing)

Also how did you obtain the US copy of P3?

[quote name='martin8me']Also how did you obtain the US copy of P3?[/QUOTE]dude markman is seriously one of the most mysterious muthasuckas ever!

it's like he's in some secret stone cutters socity where they all wear special rings and shit.

and have secret handshakes. and milkshakes.

but you didn't hear it from me tho...

We keep the martians under wraps....

Okay more impressions... Gotta use spoiler tags now, but nothing too SPOLIERISH.... but I know how ppl get anal about lil' fuckin details...

The game is pretty much broken down into two distinct gameplay styles... one is the interactive type where you go around town and try to improve your 'social links' which in turn give you access to more types of Personas.

These 'social links' can be anything ranging from a friendship with someone at school, joining an after school club, there's even a student council... there are tons of way to interact and build relationships throughout the game...

The velvet room is back again(of course!) and you use it similarly to how you did in past games... you can fuse personas here from persona cards you acquire... usually you can acquire persona cards after battles... By fusing personas the general rule of thumb is you combine the two skills of the relative persona's to create a stronger one... you can do a normal fuse, or a tri-fuse(requires 3 cards)...

Every midnight, "THE DARK HOUR" comes into play... I'll go a bit more in depth on that later... but think of the dark hour as the dungeon crawling/battle part of the game...

[quote name='martin8me']Is there alot of anime cutscenes?

Does the game have an emo feeling?
Considering the whole "shooting to the head" thing)

Also how did you obtain the US copy of P3?[/QUOTE]

- There are quite a few anime cutscenes.... from what I played so far... at least.

- Not EMO at all...

- I'm really Paris Hilton in disguise.

[quote name='MarkMan']- There are quite a few anime cutscenes.... from what I played so far... at least.

- Not EMO at all...

- I'm really Paris Hilton in disguise.[/quote]

Yeah, take that emos :twoguns:

awesome. i have been looking forward to this game for so long. i don't think i'm even going to mind that i can only control one person. from the videos posted on youtube, they don't look completely helpless, or retarded. i can't wait!

There are no random battles at all.

You can initiate the combat... You hit X to do an attack while you're on the play field... if your attack hits your enemy before they touch you you will have the "ADVANTAGE" and attack first.... vice versa if the enemy touches you first.

This game is great so far... I'm liking the mix of both styles it shows... :)

Is this like SMTIII where the demon will learn 8 skills, then you have to forget something when you want to learn something new? Because looking at the FAQs, it doesn't look like anything learns more than 8 skills. Not having to forget skills would be a plus in my mind. That and Shoji Meguro.

[quote name='Layd Dly']has anyone pre-ordered the deluxe version yet. nisamerica.com has it up on their site for pre-order.[/QUOTE]

What deluxe version?

There is only one version of the game and they will all include the soundtrack / artbook, and that's the only thing I see on NIS's store... and I'd rather not pay shipping fees and just get it from Amazon or Gamestop.

[quote name='Roufuss']What deluxe version?

There is only one version of the game and they will all include the soundtrack / artbook, and that's the only thing I see on NIS's store... and I'd rather not pay shipping fees and just get it from Amazon or Gamestop.[/quote]

sorry thats what i was refering too. i just remember reading on realease for a deluxe version the atlus site. thats good if its the only version then i can pick it up locally as well.

[quote name='Layd Dly']sorry thats what i was refering too. i just remember reading on realease for a deluxe version the atlus site. thats good if its the only version then i can pick it up locally as well.[/QUOTE]

Yep, only one version.

I'll probably use my Amazon Prime to get it with no tax and free two day shipping, since I don't like shopping at EB / GS if I have a choice.

[quote name='Roufuss']Yep, only one version.

I'll probably use my Amazon Prime to get it with no tax and free two day shipping, since I don't like shopping at EB / GS if I have a choice.[/QUOTE]
It's also $46.99 on Amazon instead of 50.

bread's done
Back