GameStop/EB Games Console Price Drops - USED GameCube ($39.99), USED PS2 ($79.99)

I read the PS2 as $29.99 at first.

on that note, i need to get to sleep

Theres absolutely no reason to buy a gamecube, just the controllers apparently.

Ps2 on the other hand... I would love to play these final fantasies everyone talks about

That's actually pretty awesome. I just sold my Gamecube and some other stuff for a Wii at a local game shop...and they gave me 35 credit for the GC. Now that I have more cash since then, hell - at 39.99 I might pick up another Cube, even if I don't need it per say.

[quote name='ihavenolife123']Theres absolutely no reason to buy a gamecube, just the controllers apparently.[/quote]
Three words: Game Boy Player

[quote name='ihavenolife123']Theres absolutely no reason to buy a gamecube, just the controllers apparently.[/QUOTE]

As a cheap ass I have to disagree. The Cube is a steal.

The hardware is rock solid. The Cube has superior forwards compatibility, exceeding the X360 and the PS3. The "last gen" graphics are comparable to many next gen games. Most people could care less about online gaming. First party games have a broad appeal, and are generally better than most.

The fact that the library is smallish is not necessarily a disservice, and resulted in fewer bombs like "Aquaman" and "Shamu."

The biggest challenge is that the used market prices have not dropped much. But, Nintendo games have always cost a hair more new or used.

Here's to hoping the old Xbox drops too!

I noticed that the GCN did drop to $50 recently and couldn't believe that it would drop so soon again, maybe I'll hold out from picking up a spare GCN until it is less than $20 for one!

I'm still waiting for a pricedrop on the silver slim PS2, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

I need some advice guys, I have been wanting to pick up a cheap ps2. This is getting down to the price I am willing to pay. But am I really taking a crapshoot with buying it from EB/GS used? Which system is more reliable the slim-line or the bigger one?
Also I have to go back to college in about 3 weeks so I am guessing that it would probebly be better to buy it there in, rather than transport it cross country. Ane comments on this?

If I were you, I would buy a new PS2 slim since that reduces the chances of buying a used system that was probably broken already from what I have read here. I'm going to buy a used Xbox because I can't find one new in-store.

Anyway, to answer some of your question it would be somewhat risky to buy a PS2 old model. I'm sure you would have better luck at getting a good one and you can always return it if it doesn't work properly. The slim-line is better, but will cost more. Yeah, I would buy it at a Gamestop near your school since you don't want to pack it away in boxes with all your other stuff.

[quote name='Tsukento'] Further proof GameStop's trying to push all of their GameCube inventory out (yet raise the prices on certain used games).[/quote]

Actually, if my store, and the stores in my area, are any indication, it's because we've currently got 45 GameCubes sitting in the back and NOBODY is buying them. People keep trading them in, and they're just taking up space.

[quote name='Tsukento']Three words: Game Boy Player[/QUOTE]

The reason I keep mine. I also keep it in one room and the wii in another.

Love the gameboy player

Damn, if I hadn't just bought a video card I'd be tempted to hop on a Gamecube. Wasn't interested in picking one up before since I play consoles pretty slowly and have a large pile of Xbox games to get to, but goodies like RE4 and Metroid do sound tempting.

Is there some sort of secret or little-know use for a phat ps2 and a network adapter? Other than FFXI and maybe ripping your games down to a HD using some homebrew utility?

PS2 network adapters are still selling for $35-$40 on Amazon used, $100 or so new... and ebay prices aren't far off.

Now those PS2 net adapters are worth about 50% of what the phat ps2 is worth...just makes me curious.

I mean, you can get a news slim ps2 w/ built in networking for $130...why spend $100 for a news net adapter for a fat ps2?

[quote name='Nemo_Hyde']Is there some sort of secret or little-know use for a phat ps2 and a network adapter? Other than FFXI and maybe ripping your games down to a HD using some homebrew utility?

PS2 network adapters are still selling for $35-$40 on Amazon used, $100 or so new... and ebay prices aren't far off.

Now those PS2 net adapters are worth about 50% of what the phat ps2 is worth...just makes me curious.

I mean, you can get a news slim ps2 w/ built in networking for $130...why spend $100 for a news net adapter for a fat ps2?[/quote]

It's the hard drives and HD loader. Without any of those use your own hard drives and rip your own games, the fat version wouldn't be near as valuable. Plus the Fat one stays more cool then the slimline.

[quote name='SailorDaravon']Is the 79.99 only for the old PS2's? I was at a GS today, and the used slim PS2's were still $99.99.[/quote]
yeah, the website still lists the slim ps2 for $99 and the old fat one for $79, can anyone else verify these same prices in stores?

if the slim one is $79 i may just have to bite (or if there is anyone selling theirs in my area.....:bouncy:?)

[quote name='Tsukento']Three words: Game Boy Player[/quote]'Zactly. I've got the GBA sp, ds, dslite and the GB Player. Because some games just play better on one than another (by my preference at any rate).

Thats a great price for a Gamecube. If you haven't owned one before and don't plan on getting a Wii, there are tons of games you've missed out on. If you call yourself a gamer you need to play some of the classics on this system.

Only reason I'd prefer it over a wii when playing gc games is that the controller ports are easier to access (the wii is on my top shelf =/ ) but $40 doesn't justify that minor complaint

You COULD put the Wii on its side, rather than standing it up. It's designed to do that.

Although if you can't even find a Wii, $40 for a system capable of playing nearly the entire Game Boy/Color/Advance lineup (granted you can get the Player) and every GameCube game is not bad at all.

definately getting a gamecube at that price.
a odd question to ask on this forum but hopefully someone can help me, can you play the gamecube with a nes rf unit of is it impossible?

[quote name='Poolking99']Thats a great price for a Gamecube. If you haven't owned one before and don't plan on getting a Wii, there are tons of Nintendo games you've missed out on. If you call yourself a Nintendo fan you need to play some of the classics on this system.[/QUOTE]

Fixed. Absolutely no reason to own one unless you're a Nintendo fan, even if the price drops further.

Teh players have dropped drastically in price. They were $80 used this time last year, but since the Wii came out, they're pretty much $30 used everywhere. I've seen many at gamestops recently.

$65 - play every GC, GBA, GB, GBC color game no matter what Nintendo does with its future reverse compatibility policies.

[quote name='bigwoof']definately getting a gamecube at that price.
a odd question to ask on this forum but hopefully someone can help me, can you play the gamecube with a nes rf unit of is it impossible?[/quote]

Yes but you need a little adapter. I saw the adapter with a NES RFU for $3 at EB.

Decided to go ahead and trade in a few 360 games to get a 'cube (crappy Transformers game will pay for most of it). Always wanted one to be able to play some of the series that will never be on an MS console (and someday a PS2 for the same reason).

Going to pick up Rogue Leader (love SW games) and Metroid Prime to start with. Any other good, cheap games? I will wait on the first party stuff since it's still a bit pricey (although I really want to get my hands on a Zelda game).

[quote name='Tsukento']If the Cube drops to used Dreamcast price ($14.99), I'd say it's best to go grab it as quickly as possible.[/quote]
For that price, I would definitely pick one up just to keep my original GCN from wearing out or maybe just to collect all three of the common colors! :)

[quote name='awp']Decided to go ahead and trade in a few 360 games to get a 'cube (crappy Transformers game will pay for most of it). Always wanted one to be able to play some of the series that will never be on an MS console (and someday a PS2 for the same reason).

Going to pick up Rogue Leader (love SW games) and Metroid Prime to start with. Any other good, cheap games? I will wait on the first party stuff since it's still a bit pricey (although I really want to get my hands on a Zelda game).[/quote]

Skip Rogue Leader III, just play II. Pick up any of the classic Nintendo franchises, like Mario Sunshine. If you like horror games, Eternal Darkness was good (but not as good as the reviews said). I also enjoyed Luigi's Mansion a lot. And a lot of people are crazy for Paper Mario, but I always thought it was a dull RPG with a really pretty Mario skin.

I hope the Xbox drops in price to $30. Xbox's are probably the best console to get due to all of homebrew apps you can run on a modded Xbox.

Now I have a use for the extra 3 broadband adaptors and 2 extra component cables! Who'se up for some double dashing? Now I only got to find the silvers (which I assume were the only ones that had the component output)

[quote name='ananag112']I hope the Xbox drops in price to $30. Xbox's are probably the best console to get due to all of homebrew apps you can run on a modded Xbox.[/quote]

What is the old Xbox price in-store less than the $79.99 now, like on the Gamestop website? I really doubt that it would drop below $50 or $60 anytime soon, but I can always hope too! :)

bread's done
Back