Did I just fall victim to this Xbox live card scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea.. its a scam. I made accoutns so I don't get a 1 month free trial. And entered the code she gave me.

End date: 8/2007

What now? Do I confornt the seller, take it to ebay/paypal? What do I say?

Wow she must have gotten all those others buyers too then... i think you should file a claim with paypal and leave negative feedback to beware other buyers.. be prepared bc she will probably leave you a negative in retaliation

im surprised MS lets them get away with this for so long, assuming its a scam(and im sure it is). 'She's' been selling them since May so thats more than enough time for people to realize theyve been shafted.
Good marketing though - hot chick with big thingies.

The thing is... this is a scam that a lot of people have neaver heard of. Even googling it doesnt turn up much results. And man shes gotten a lot of people. I disputed with paypal, and emailed her.

Think MS could do anything? Or will they back off this seeing as I bought it from ebay and all.

I mean. .shouldnt they also take responsibility for this... I wish I knew more abou tthis scam... the details and all. Because this should not be going on.

The thing is on my XBL account it comes up showing the name.. 12 month + 1 month. But everything else says other wise. Do I contatc them about this?

[quote name='supafly1824']Should I confront her before I og to paypal to get a refund, open up the claim and confront her, or...?[/quote]

File a claim with paypal immediately, but then contact her and let her know that you filed a claim for your protection, and if she refunds your money or gives you a code for the full amount you will withdraw the claim and leave her a neutral instead of a negative.

I find her listing practices to be pretty questionable. Putting up a picture of yourself? Why do you do that? Oh right, because you are a cute girl and your auction item is geared towards geeky 16-24 year old males. My bet is she really is a 35 year old dude.

However, she does have a LOT of positive feedback on these, so maybe it was just a mistake on her part getting a card that wasnt activated. Under no circumstance would I leave a positive, but if she fixes it quickly, I would leave a neutral saying "she fixed it, but I would beware before leaving her more positive feedback to check the date it expires"

My question is, her myspace URL leaves me to believe she is a 19 year old girl (born in 87). Where the hell is a 19 year old girl getting 600+ Xbox live cards discounted enough to profit selling them on ebay?

I was looking at other auctions... and she listed that she found a box with hundreds of them. And she had a newborn baby (she had a picture too) so sh ewas selling it for money.

Yea right.. bullshit. Hey I have a new born baby an di need money! *Buys xbox 360 with xbox live and high speed internet*

This girl is good.

But I have no doubt in my mind this is a scam.

And people who realize it later on after a month is over.. it's too late to file a claim.

[quote name='supafly1824']I was looking at other auctions... and she listed that she found a box with hundreds of them. And she had a newborn baby (she had a picture too) so sh ewas selling it for money.

Yea right.. bullshit. Hey I have a new born baby an di need money! *Buys xbox 360 with xbox live and high speed internet*

This girl is good.

But I have no doubt in my mind this is a scam.

And people who realize it later on after a month is over.. it's too late to file a claim.[/quote]
Well, I added her to myspace, and it does look like she had a kid (has pictures up, people posting on her wall and all).

However, if she really was a gamer and just "found" them , she probably would have used one of these cards, and realized that they werent activated.

edit: I'm curious now as to my theory of her actually being a 35 year old guy. It's a pretty elaborate scam getting all these people from her area to post on her myspace, but the page isn't quite as full of stupid shit as most myspaces are.

She replied

How are they not 12 Month Cards? Have you even seen my feedback? How come you're the only one stating it's not a 12 month?

-Heather

[quote name='supafly1824']She replied

How are they not 12 Month Cards? Have you even seen my feedback? How come you're the only one stating it's not a 12 month?

-Heather[/quote]

Tell her they have to be purchased from a store and activated to be 12 months, otherwise it is just good for the one free month, and if she did indeed just "find" them, they wouldn't have been purchased/activated. Tell her to try making a new live account (shes a gamer right), and putting in a code and then tell her how you came up with the expiration so she can see for herself.

"You saw yourself when you redeemed the code that it said 12+1 Month Subscription. The reason it has that end date is because you use the bonus month first...than it automatically renews after the month for the full year. I've sold over 800 of these cards now...for the last 6 months. Obviosly if these cards were only for 1 month and I was scamming people my feedback wouldn't be over 99% with over 600 feedback left."

"How about in a month...if your subscription isn't working anymore I'll buy you a 12 Month so you can renew your "1 month scam" card. This card will work for the next 13 months. I've used one of these cards myself, and I'm still playing and my card was used in February.

-Heather"

stubborn girl isnt she

She's trying to talk me into this "just wait 1 month and see!"

But after 1 month I'd have no protection.. right? And plus, the expiration date is set for THIS MONTH.

CutieH1088 [5:33 A.M.]: you basically have 50 days to get your money back
CutieH1088 [5:33 A.M.]: you have 20 days to file a dispute
CutieH1088 [5:33 A.M.]: but if you escalate it to a claim
CutieH1088 [5:33 A.M.]: it will remain a claim for 30 days

So we started talking on AIM... and this is what she sends me, is she trying to trick me into this "1 month thing?"

how do you know for sure it doesn't work the way she says it does? I have no experience with these cards.

edit: you could try contacting other people who've bought from her through ebay maybe they have something to say about it.

Well, according to paypl:

13.3 Filing Deadlines. We will not grant any Claim unless you first initiate a Dispute in our Resolution Center within 45 Days of the date of the relevant payment and then escalate the Dispute into a Claim within 20 Days of the date you file your Dispute. It is your responsibility to keep track of the deadlines under this section.

So her number of days are wrong, but it seems like you might have a bit more protection.

IDK, tough call. If you've already made a "dispute" though, you only have 20 days to turn it into a claim.

But heres another thing... I can get on xbox live now and play a game.

But I don't think this is coming form my 1 month free trial form MS... as this is my 5th profile.. and they've stopped giving those once you get aroudn this point.

Still... why does the end date say 8/2007?

See... I don't know the specifics of how this thing plays out. But if the end date is 8/2007 and it ends THIS MONTH I can still protect myself and change the dispute to a claim, right?

Because I cant tell her I can get on xbox live now.. thats +1 point for her.

She refunded me!

keep the card, after a month and you're still on ebay...leave me some good feedback :)
i'm refunding you right now
i'm going to IM you in 30 days and I better have my good feedback

She said she felt bad for me.. lmao

Now... do I wait and see what happens with my account? Or do I go worn people of the scam >__> ... or should I play aroudn with her a little bit, ask her about her little techniques and such, heh.. that would be fun :)

[quote name='Milkyman']
edit: you could try contacting other people who've bought from her through ebay maybe they have something to say about it.[/QUOTE]

I think this is an excellent idea. Go back through her feedback and find a few people who bought these several months ago, and see if they had it go away after a month. Hard to imagine she could have that many friends posting fake positive feedbacks for her.

Maybe she's legit. I've been scammed once or twice on ebay, and in my experience, scammers don't tend to reply anymore once they've scammed you, and they certainly don't refund your money. Then again, maybe I'm just extra-naive.

She refunded him b/c she doesnt want a negative. That would hurt the scam.

Ive seen a few of these so far - from when I was looking for a card. Always people who pop up and sell hundreds of cards within a short time period.
I even went back a bit looking at feedback and saw people amending their positive with a note saying they were scammed. But you know no one else looks that close.

not meaning to bump a topic over a week old, but i'm interested in seeing what happens after the month. yesterday, i won such an auction, but was able to secure a refund immediately.

it seemed too good to be true. minutes after winning the auction (which i stumbled across ending in 5 minutes and couldn't pass up), i passed across a few normally priced sub cards while browsing accessories, and one of them confirmed my fears. the seller in that one had an addendum to his auction, that the lower priced 12+1 month sub cards that only work for anew account is a scam. in his auction, he recommended that anyone looking to buy the cheaper 12+1 new account only cards to request a picture of the card code to be recieved from the seller/scammer. so i did, i specifically requested clear images of the card used and she was unable to supply it. but yet, she has a crisp, digitally taken picture of a xbox live sub card in the original packaging. /suspicious the seller immediately offered a refund due to her 'lack' of camera. i then msg'ed, that's okay, but i told the seller that to mail me the code through ebay's messaging system, and that i will check it by calling MS, if she would be so patient. no messages came for about an hour after that, then the refund appeared in my box.

since i never got the code to check, i'm not entirely sure.. so i did a google search and found this post.

OP, if kindly you would come back and update your experience within a month (whether your sub turns into a year or not), that may save some cag goers from being scammed while satisfying my curiosity =)

- long-time lurker

edit: mine is from a diff. seller, but from the ebay handle, one might assume that the seller is a she.

I noticed she stated she is on the computer 90% of the time.

Let's see ...

Attractive young woman

Spends time online instead of hunting down a sugardaddy or having a real job

I'm thinking there are two missing pieces to the puzzle.

An online web camera and chronic masturbation

Here's how to find out if you've been scammed ...

Smell the card.

If it smells like ..., it's probably a legit card.

I'm not saying she's legit, but if she wasn't, I would think there would be more "reply's" to the positive feedback saying it's a scam. From what I know, you can still reply to your feedback whether it was a positive or a negative.

I think it's a good that you're skeptical though. You know what they say, "if it's too good to be true, it probably is."

She's pretty hot for a 20 year old power seller on ebay.
Least I know she gives it up also as she has a baby.. ;X

[quote name='Pookymeister']its a profitable scam - maybe $20 or so after fees, shes up to $16,000[/quote]

And it's only 800 misdemeanors.

If she/he gets caught, only the complainers would need to be reimbursed.

If it's a first offense, cop a plea for concurrent sentences. 30 days in the pokey and a year of probation tops. Pay back $2000 to the victims if that much.

OR

$1000 for lawyer's fees that'll confuse a judge whose gaming knowledge ended before the Nintendo and get off scot free.

$14000-$15000 for next to no effort and an even chance of not getting caught.

Sometimes, I regret having a conscience.

[quote name='help1']I just plan on buying mine from buy.com. 28.88 is a good price for 13 months![/quote]

I got 26 months for $40 :D

[quote name='Rozz']I got 26 months for $40 :D[/quote]

Where'd ya snag that deal?

Also, did this card end up being a scam, or was it actually legit?

[quote name='kuri']Where'd ya snag that deal?

Also, did this card end up being a scam, or was it actually legit?[/QUOTE]

i think it's because you can send for a $10 rebate if you choose to igonre the magazine subscription. So you get 2 cards for 18.88x2 = 37.76

[quote name='kuri']Where'd ya snag that deal?

Also, did this card end up being a scam, or was it actually legit?[/quote]

I got 'em at my local mall, they had them there for $20 each, 13 month Xbox 360 live cards.

[quote name='Rozz']I got 'em at my local mall, they had them there for $20 each, 13 month Xbox 360 live cards.[/quote]

Ah, so she has a B&M presence too it seems

[quote name='Pookymeister']Ah, so she has a B&M presence too it seems[/quote]

Nah the chick that sold me it wasn't white, but maybe she has a black cousin who does the same shit. ;)

Hi, this is hledford87. My name is Heather.

I'm not some 35 year old dude or whatever else you think I am.

I do sell these cards, I buy them from another ebay user and resell them using better techniques and listing methods than him I can make a little bit of a profit off of it. The cards do work for the full 13 months.

It does state that the product ends and begins on the same month, I don't know why.

You have 45 days to file a claim through paypal.

You have FOREVER to leave negative feedback for me, yet I only have 5 negative feedback. And I've sold many of these codes.

If this is a scam, which I highly doubt can any of you provide proper documentation that this is a scam? I'm a single mother...no BULLSHIT, I work, I go to college and I'm into many things that can give me a little money here and there but NOT illegally.

I was refered to this page by a buyer. I personally have an Xbox 360 account using one of these cards and it's been good since February, no 1 month crap like alot of you suggest.

Before you go insulting me and calling me a scammer maybe you should inform me otherwise that what I'm doing is not legit because so far it's been good.

-Heather
www.myspace.com/hledford87
[email protected]

Why would you want us knowing your Myspace page? Why should we care? :whistle2:s

[quote name='hledford87']for reference to who I am, since somebody's obviously tryint to state I'm a 35 year old man

-Heather[/quote]

The only way you can prove you are not a 35 yr old man is by posting a picture of yourself(the same person on your myspace) doing something highly irregular like holding a roll of toilet paper and a spoon. ;)

[quote name='Pookymeister']The only way you can prove you are not a 35 yr old man is by posting a picture of yourself(the same person on your myspace) doing something highly irregular like holding a roll of toilet paper and a spoon. ;)[/quote]

4xw0qc8.jpg

Anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back