- - - - -

Format War - HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray - *Its Over...Toshiba Swings White Flag*

#1171 mykevermin   Queen of Scotland CAGiversary!   37011 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:17 PM

Ok. I'm just really mad right now. Just because Blue Ray customers paid more for their players mean that everyone is teaming on their side? This is what I really wanted: Why won't both players have all the movies? OR why won't there just be ONE type of hd-dvd player?! Why TWO? If you're buying one of them, you'll only get 1/2 a chance to get the "winning" one. If you buy both...then it doesn't matter. The fact is that since HD was cheaper, I'm sure a lot of people bought that. Sadly, it looks like all the people who've bought HD will then have to buy Blue Ray. Why would people do this? I've now just wasted $180 on an HD player and now I'll have to spend $300 more for a Blue ray?! If only the world would be more convenient or intelleigent.

wha?

Just for the record, I wasn't upset...just pointing it out...

...carry on.

Oh, I know. I was just pointing out the absurdities of SW die-hards.

Man, my fever is really getting to me. "Blade Runnder"?

#1172 TimPV3   I don't play games, I play GameStop CAGiversary!   3040 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:17 PM

I think we should send Sony a congratulatory cake, celebrating their first win in a format war.

#1173 BillyBob29   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   950 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

BillyBob29

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:18 PM

Not really, having one format monopoly will means no more major sales since there won't be a need for them without competition. In the long run it makes sense to have 1 format though but its going to be a while before HDM hit the prices that DVD's sell for.

I agree that initially we may see price hikes, compared to all the B1G1 deals we have been seeing. But I also think that the consumer has been trained to look for these deals so if the deals just flat out stop, we will likely see a sizeable drop in weekly/monthly sales, which would bring the sales right back.

IMO, worst case scenario, we see a short term bump in average sale prices due to the loss of constant B1G1, B2G1F sales but a year from now the average price of a new release blu-ray will be $19.99.

#1174 mykevermin   Queen of Scotland CAGiversary!   37011 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:20 PM

I think we should send Sony a congratulatory cake, celebrating their first win in a format war.

They ain't gettin' cake until the PSN starts to look respectable in terms of its offerings. And then it's gonna be a yellow box cake with "about fuckin' time (thanks)" on it.

#1175 Sarang01   My Use Name Is Saber CAGiversary!   5588 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:22 PM

You know I think the one problem is the idiotic Blu-Boy's who will crow and caw happily about this. Idiots like Chris. Fratboy idiot.

#1176 moviewizguy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   352 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

moviewizguy

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:23 PM

Ok.. let me restate: People wasted their money on HD and are now going to waste even more money for Blue Ray just because companies are teaming on one side. This just shows how idiotic the world is: Why not release just ONE hd player? Why must Sony and Microsoft (if I'm right) fight with each other? For being a smart consumer as I am, I bought the HD-DVD player because of the fact it was CHEAPER. I'm sure many other people did this. The fact that you bought both just shows you want all movies on hi def.

#1177 Demolition Man   REV-OH-LU-TION! CAGiversary!   14870 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Demolition Man

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:25 PM

:cry:

Thanks Warner. Guess this is what I get for supporting you and buying your HD-DVD releases is one big Fuck you.

#1178 obiwayne   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   61 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:26 PM

... those people who got bent out of shape because the last revision of SW edited out the vasoline smudges that hid the wheels of Luke's flying station wagon, as well as the "halos" around Tie Fighters. The SW fans were so nuts that they *demanded* their imperfections.

For me it was always about the additions/changes to the story that made it an issue.
The old "Han shot first" argument

#1179 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17267 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:26 PM

Not really, having one format monopoly will means no more major sales since there won't be a need for them without competition. In the long run it makes sense to have 1 format though but its going to be a while before HDM hit the prices that DVD's sell for.

And my wallet hates them for that. Still angers me that standard def 2 disc edition movies have gone up to *near* the price of HD disc prices. But hopefully standard def discs will drop below 10 dollars and HD discs will drop to the teen mark.

Still looking forward to some tv shows on a HD format disc... I don't except a major resolution bump for a 20+ year old tv show (TNG), but it would be nice to reduce the number of discs you pop into the player. Wouldn't it be nice to have an entire season of TNG on two discs instead of 6-7? I am sure they can pull off all 10 star trek movies in Standard Def format on one disc if Paramount wanted to.

#1180 mykevermin   Queen of Scotland CAGiversary!   37011 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:27 PM

For being a smart consumer as I am

See, that's where you're wrong. The smart consumer is letting us dolts duke it out in the marketplace while they wait for a winner to emerge, *then* they'll buy hidef movies.

And your "why can't there be one format" is an absurd question. Why can't there be one video game console that plays everything while we're at it?

For me it was always about the additions/changes to the story that made it an issue.

Word. I'll agree with that.

#1181 doctorfaustus   Booknerd CAGiversary!   2029 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

doctorfaustus

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:30 PM

Dang, the HD DVD name just makes more sense. Blu ray? What the heck is that. Sigh. No more HD media for me. Double Sigh.

#1182 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17267 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:31 PM

Who the hell cares who shot first. I personally would care if that scene looked very dirty/grainy dark vs color corrected, bright and so on. The CGI editions didn't bother me at all. As long as they aren't over used, then it's fine. But I am sure Lucasfilm could put both editions on one disc. One with and without the enhancements, problem solved...but knowing Lucas it won't be that easy.

#1183 rsigley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1218 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:32 PM

from toshiba:

TOKYO, Jan. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- Toshiba is quite surprised by Warner Bros.' decision to abandon HD DVD in favor of Blu-ray, despite the fact that there are various contracts in place between our companies concerning the support of HD DVD. As central members of the DVD Forum, we have long maintained a close partnership with Warner Bros. We worked closely together to help standardize the first-generation DVD format as well as to define and shape HD DVD as its next-generation successor.

We were particularly disappointed that this decision was made in spite of the significant momentum HD DVD has gained in the US market as well as other regions in 2007. HD DVD players and PCs have outsold Blu-ray in the US market in 2007.

We will assess the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD DVD partner companies and evaluate potential next steps. We remain firm in our belief that HD DVD is the format best suited to the wants and needs of the consumer.

rumor is sony gave warner 450 million

#1184 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17267 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:33 PM

so whatever happened to that holographic dvd technology that was suppose to throw a wrench into the war?

Guess it ain't happening now?

#1185 LinkinPrime   :,( CAGiversary!   44280 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

LinkinPrime

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:34 PM

from toshiba:

TOKYO, Jan. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- Toshiba is quite surprised by Warner Bros.' decision to abandon HD DVD in favor of Blu-ray, despite the fact that there are various contracts in place between our companies concerning the support of HD DVD. As central members of the DVD Forum, we have long maintained a close partnership with Warner Bros. We worked closely together to help standardize the first-generation DVD format as well as to define and shape HD DVD as its next-generation successor.

We were particularly disappointed that this decision was made in spite of the significant momentum HD DVD has gained in the US market as well as other regions in 2007. HD DVD players and PCs have outsold Blu-ray in the US market in 2007.

We will assess the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD DVD partner companies and evaluate potential next steps. We remain firm in our belief that HD DVD is the format best suited to the wants and needs of the consumer.

Translation: "We got kicked in the nuts hard, give us some time to recover and come back with a rebutal..."

I really hope they have something up their sleeve.

#1186 moviewizguy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   352 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

moviewizguy

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:34 PM

Oh, shut up. You're acting such like an ignorant man because you've picked the "right" hd player.

#1187 anomynous   Banned Banned   5192 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

anomynous

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:35 PM

Dang, the HD DVD name just makes more sense. Blu ray? What the heck is that. Sigh. No more HD media for me. Double Sigh.

That is the stupidest reason to avoid Blu Ray I have ever heard

#1188 DQT   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1151 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:37 PM

so whatever happened to that holographic dvd technology that was suppose to throw a wrench into the war?

I'm pretty sure I was promised flying cars by the year 2000 at some point in my life. Could that end the debate about ethanol?

#1189 Sarang01   My Use Name Is Saber CAGiversary!   5588 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:38 PM

It was never going to throw a wrench in the war. The cost for the players were nuts, I shit you not. Next optical format it might win because at like 5-6 layers a disc at 200 gigs. a layer CAN offer you a perfect res. of 35 mm. film, the res. before it starts to degrade going past said mark. Interested in Lossless audio AND video? ;)

#1190 dallow   By Kaz! CAGiversary!   30360 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:39 PM

Translation: "We got kicked in the nuts hard, give us some time to recover and come back with a rebutal..."

Ten dollar HD DVD players.

Where the hell is Gizmo?
He needs to state his peace.... piece? Holy crap, which is it? I've never had to write that down.

#1191 LinkinPrime   :,( CAGiversary!   44280 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

LinkinPrime

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:40 PM

That is the stupidest reason to avoid Blu Ray I have ever heard

I think that's more of an outloud cry to shock as in why Blu-Ray is winning when to the average consumer the term HD DVD means High Def DVD and its easier to understand and grasp than Blu-Ray.

#1192 anomynous   Banned Banned   5192 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

anomynous

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:40 PM

Ten dollar HD DVD players.

Where the hell is Gizmo?
He needs to state his peace.... piece? Holy crap, which is it? I've never had to write that down.

You know he'll say that Sony is the devil, and paid off Warner, All Warner movies suck anyways, etc..........

I think that's more of an outloud cry to shock as in why Blu-Ray is winning when to the average consumer the term HD DVD means High Def DVD and its easier to understand and grasp than Blu-Ray.

But on the other hand of that, Blu Ray is something new & fresh to people, while HD DVD is more of the same

#1193 doctorfaustus   Booknerd CAGiversary!   2029 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

doctorfaustus

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:45 PM

That's what I mean by that crummy comment. Yeah, I'm still shocked. To make matters worse, I convinced my GF to buy into HD DVD last year. She's going to be pissed.

I will eventually buy blu ray if HD DVD goes the way of the dodo; however, I am going to wait for players to be mega cheap ($99) before I spend more money on HD media.
Now, how do I break the news to my gf?

#1194 terribledeli   Zombiologist CAGiversary!   3099 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

terribledeli

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:46 PM

So I guess my Target $2.23 copy of "As Is" Norbit I bought today isn't going to sway anything huh? But then again, I used my $10 coupon for Pirates 3 today too, so perhaps I've caused this.

I really need to hit up Gamestop in the next week, assuming they are still doing the "Buy 2 get 2" dvd sales. I'm sure lots of folks will be dumping off collections.

#1195 dpatel   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3749 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:46 PM

But on the other hand of that, Blu Ray is something new & fresh to people, while HD DVD is more of the same

Yea, I know what you mean. HD-DVD sounds like it could mean DVD 2.0, while Blu-ray sounds like it would be the next step (and not just an upgrade). I realize this isn't the case, but it's one possible explanation?

#1196 animemaniac14   Do the Monkey w/Me! CAGiversary!   3059 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

animemaniac14

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:47 PM

BTW, Anyone have any inkling how this effects New Line? Warners Bros is New Line "sister" company.

And what CAN HD-DVD do?

has nothing to do with the thread but cornerstone i do have to say..long live your avatar:applause:

#1197 dpatel   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3749 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:47 PM

Now, how do I break the news to my gf?

Act like you're breaking up with her. Then, towards the end, say you're joking and that HD-DVD just lost Warner. By comparison, the news won't seem all that bad ;)

#1198 anomynous   Banned Banned   5192 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

anomynous

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:49 PM

I read over in the HDD forums that New Line is going Blu only too, but that's not a suprise, because they might as well have been from the start.

#1199 Sporadic   done with this site CAGiversary!   9499 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:50 PM

I imagine it will be something on the level of Paramount/Fox back in the day (but this time it will be Paramount announcing a shitload of titles, one of which I imagine will be The Godfather series)

#1200 dallow   By Kaz! CAGiversary!   30360 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:51 PM

I hope we see a BD add-on for the 360 in the future for the proles.
MS said before that option was open.