The "Recommend me games." thread. Let's get this to one star, people! We can do it!

The Crotch

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
If you wish to ask for game recommendations, use this thread! Yes, people do read and make recommendations.

But before you do that, I'm-a given you my recommendations. Why? Because I know better than everyone. Duh. And besides, an easy-to-access "Okay, these are the top... bunch-of-games that you should pick up" list is... well, kinda handy. There used to be a big, alphabetized list of pretty much every semi-noteworthy Wii game with a gamerankings score and a brief description, but I think it was just too big to be useful.

So, in order from least important to most, I give you a brief guide to "Shit you have to buy or at least rent." Or at least, "Shit you have to buy/rent that I've actually played. So sorry, Excite Truck fans. Send me the game and I'll add it in somewhere."

Warioware: Smooth Moves - 81.9% - Microgames, and lots of 'em. Very fun while it lasts, but it only lasts about... 3 hours. But hey, there's hot-potato multiplayer (which you have to unlock - guess that's why the single player's so short). And disco cats. Most of the microgames are remote only, but a few of the more complicated ones use the nunchuk. Depending on how much you like your multiplayer microgames, consider renting this one.

de Blob - 81.4% - A very neat giant-ball-graffiti-simulator. However, it's also a fairly short one, so unless four-player multiplayer is a big draw, consider just renting.

Blast Works - 80% - Very cool SHMUP with great level, enemy, and ship editors. Said levels/enemies/ships can be uploaded to blastworksdepot.com for all to enjoy, too. 1-4 players.

Trauma Center: New Blood - 77.3% - If you've played a Trauma Center before, you know what you're getting here. If you haven't? It's a science-fiction-y surgery game, though a lot of people complain that the science-fiction stuff tends to get in the way of the surgery. And in the way of that is the stylus/remote-throwing difficulty. But hey, there's co-op, which is pretty damn cool if you ask me.

Ghost Squad - 72.7% - Rail shooter based on old SEGA arcade game. Very short, but a lot of replayability. A LOT. Can be played by four people. Or two people each holding two remotes, if that's how you roll. That's how I roll. Bitch.

Super Paper Mario - 85.3% - This game is often described as a platformer with RPG elements. While this is mostly true, you should not come in expecting Mario 3 with an EXP system. The platforming is all extremely basic, and once you get
Bowser
and find an enemy spawn point, you can basically just leave the game on all night for infinite EXP. Also, it takes a while to get going. But you know what? It still has the humour and charm you'd come to expect from a Paper Mario. Also, one of the most God damn terrifying bosses in the history of videogames. Did they get fucking John Carpenter to design that thing? God damn! Also, I'm officially labeling this game the start of the "If you own a Wii you should absolutely own this game" point.

Scarface: The World is Yours - 71.6% and Godfather, The: Blackhand Edition - 77.4% - They're basically the same thing. Which is appropriate, seeing as how they're GTA clones. I'd say Scarface plays slightly better, but the constant use of "shaq-fu's" can just get downright annoying. Get either or both.

Mario Kart Wii - 82% - I'll be honest - I prefer Double Dash. It looks better, and I can do three-man free-for-alls in multiplayer. But, Mario Kart Wii finally has bots in battle mode - and team battle mode, at that. Also, online that doesn't completely suck. Other than that, it's your standard Mario Kart. Not the greatest track design I guess, but you'll live.

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure - 85.7% - Fantastic point-and-click adventure/puzzle game. Looks very cutesy, but I can't imagine many little kids getting into it due to the difficulty of some of the puzzles. There is extremely limited co-op. It makes quite heavy use of movement-based puzzles, but contrary to what a certain Mr. Croshaw might say, 97% of them work quite well. The other 3% will haunt you until the end of days, yes (I'm looking at you, ice boss), but those 97% are still quite nice. Some people complain about frequent and cheap deaths, but with the exception of a very few cases, any time you die it's your fault for not fucking looking around.

Resident Evil 4 - 91.2% - Awesome (and relatively cheap), even if you've played through it on the GC/PS2/PC. The graphics of the GC version, the extras of the PS2 version, and a new and extremely improved control scheme. No multiplayer.

Okami - 90% and Legend of Zelda, The: Twilight Princess - 94% - The two games are often compared to each-other, and for good reason. Twilight Princess gets off to a slow start and drew a lot of minor quibbles from me, but I still say they're about equal.

Wii Play - 61% - More minigames. Who cares how good it is? It comes with a free remote! Also, "Tanks!" is awesome. Drfunk85 says, "Every new Wii owner should get this game assuming they are planning on having at least two remotes. A remote + Game for $50 means the game essentially costs $10. Like both Wii Sports and Link's Crossbow training, it isn't a really deep game, but is still fun. It is a good way to get a hang of the many different ways the Wii Remote can be used. Tanks is probably the best mini game which is one or two player where you control a little toy tank and have to drive around and shoot other various types of tanks. The levels start out easy but get progressively harder. Pool, air hockey, and some other quirky games are included." Two-player multiplayer only.

Super Mario Galaxy - 97.4% - Yeah, that's right - it's not even in the top three. Even so, it's an absolutely amazing game. Ray-surfing might give some people trouble (try holding the remote with both hands and close to your body), it's actually a pretty bad example of "waggle" at times, Bowser's a fucking pushover, and yeah, the camera occasionally confused me, but... fuck all that shit. It's Super Mario fucking Galaxy. Just buy the god damned game already. Shit's fucking platforming excellence.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl - 94.7% - Also not in the top three. Too slow and defensive for many pros, too similar-feeling to Melee for many of the more casual fans, but fuck, still a helluva game. The level editor isn't particularly complex, but you can get some good shit out of it sometimes. The single-player mode is way bigger than the last go around, and while it got mixed reviews here, I thought it was fucking excellent. There is online, but it's actually pretty shitty.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - 80% - This is weird. I'm actually gonna recommend that you consider skipping this one. The reason for that is that this game is... it's really only enjoyable for people like me. I don't mean that as an elitist thing, though the ability to kick fucking ass at a comically difficult strategy role playing game is important. I mean you have to like reading un-voiced text between two character portraits over a static backdrop. I mean you have to be okay with restarting an hour-long battle because you've fought yourself into a position where one of your characters can't survive. You have to be willing to make a burnt offering to the Random Number Generator Goddess from time to time. I have assorted quibbles with this game - specifically, too many cool-but-useless characters and a weak ending - but it's still a fantastic entry in the series. Oh, and you should play the GameCube's Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance first. The story will be far more enjoyable, and you'll get your ass kicked 70% less.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - 90% - The end of the Prime trilogy. fucking awesome use of the pointer - really, it's the standard to which I compare any shooter on the Wii - and nunchuk waggle. Don't come in expecting a shooter - with the exception of the beginning and the holy-shit-this-is-awesome-please-don't-let-it-end end, the emphasis is on exploration and puzzle solving. Puzzle solving with a gun and bombs. This is my second favourite game on the Wii. No multiplayer, but having to trade stuff with people online in order to unlock a lot of artwork/doodads is annoying.

No More Heroes - 84.7% - A bloody and bizarre beat-em-up from the makers of the controversial Killer7. This is a lot more... accessible... than the GC/PS2 rail shooter, though the sparse overworld (which I didn't mind) and cash-grinding (which I actually enjoyed for the most part) might turn some off. Combat is handled via the A and B buttons, with motion reserved for special attacks, wrestling moves, and way-too-satisfying finishing attacks. A serious contender for my favourite game ever, and so far, my favourite on the Wii.

Coming soon to this thread: "Also consider these..." a list of C- (Umbrella Chronicles) and lower B-list (Wario) games for rental consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think MLB Power Pros (85.4%) should be on the list, it's the best console baseball game to come out in the past few years.

Good idea!

Also, a note about MySims: you can't use Miis. If you're looking for an opinion on the game, here's mine: Cute graphics and characters, and a great construction system, but making buildings and furniture is pretty much all you do. An okay game if you like Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon, but not as deep or engrossing as either of them.

Nice!

... Hopefully someone will keep this updated. Otherwise, six months from now, posters will have /good reason/ to ask for game recommendations, yes?

What, no Farcry: Vengeance ?

I thought this game was much better than the 38% on Metacritic. It's better than Red Steel, at least.

God damn computer problems.

MetaCritic is nice and all, but it has one major problem: a lot of people on this site don't go there.

No FarCry, but I'll put Nights (or NiGHtS or NigHTS or whatever the fuck it is) up some time when my situation is less fucked up.

My ass fire emblem is 80 percent.

Clocked in 20 hours and still havent beaten it :(

Game is freaking amazing -_-V

Manhunt 2 deserves 0 percent. Editied pos. Worthless buy -_-V

Hey, I'm with you on Fire Emblem. The reviews on that game furthered my theory that 95% of people that aren't me suck at videogames. I put in about 60 hours before beating it, restarts included.

[quote name='The Crotch']Hey, I'm with you on Fire Emblem. The reviews on that game furthered my theory that 95% of people that aren't me suck at videogames. I put in about 60 hours before beating it, restarts included.[/quote]

The difficulty between normal and easy is insane. I cant wait til maniac mode.. but holy god.. its the most challenging RPG ive played in a very long time..

For that to get the same score as other mediocore games.. is just a tragedy..

My opposition to numerical rankings for games is well known, so I'm not gonna get into whether or not it deserved the arbitrary number it received. I watched my brother waltz through the first chapter of the game on Easy (Japan's Normal) the other day - a chapter that I came within a couple hitpoints of having to restart when I played through on Normal.

Nice thread crotch.

My $.02 is that the games (just the ones I own) are ranked in the following order:

1. Galaxy
2. Zelda
3. Corruption
4. RE4
5. COD3 (I really really liked the shooting controls in this game and beat it thrice).
6. Super paper Mario
7. Ghost Squad, a really fun game for casuals
8. Wii Play (good w/ remote)
9. Red Steel.

I'll toss out a vote for Tomb Raider Anniversary. A solid port of the PS2 version, with some neat Wii-only secrets and features tossed into the mix. The pointer-based shooting makes it a little harder than the other versions, but it's nothing that breaks the game.

--R.J.

Ranking systems puzzle me..

madden 08 gets 78 percent.. and was terrible..

FE gets 80 percent..

What would I know ^_^

Damnit I want batallion wars.

Here's a bump for the dude who sold me Pikmin 2.

I think I'm getting a Wii tomorrow, so this thread will come in handy.

BTW, you should add Donkey Kong Barrel Blast. I haven't played it, but I contribute the following review: "No bongo support FTL."

So im playing super mario galaxy now and plan on getting zelda, super paper mario and metroid when im finished.

I have been browsing reviews and opinions of the Wii library and it really seems as if 99% of it is shovelware crap.

Basically I just wanna know what else is good out there for the Wii. Im not into the anime games or gimmick games that may hold your interest for 5 minutes.

Just looking for help weeding through the junk.

Thanks in advance and this isnt a bash but an honest question.

Also, what do Wii owners have to look forward too?

Hah. Thanks, man. Hope you enjoyed Pikmin 2. I should really ask someone to sticky this, but I'm timid. Glad it's helped at least one person.

Does there have to be a Wii game thread everyday? Youd think people would have already seen atleast one of them.

Try using the search.

I really have enjoyed Ghost Squad so far, Mario Strikers is a lot fun. The trauma centre games are enjoyable too

The only good games for the Wii are the ones you already know about. RE4, Zack and Wiki, Mario, Zelda, Fire Emblem.. The ratio of crap games/good games is sadly favoring the crap. I use my Wii for GC games mostly.

[quote name='lord_ebonstone']The only games worth owning at this point are Mario Galaxy and Zelda. Anything else is worth a rental at most.[/QUOTE]

I'd add Metroid Prime 3 to that for sure! And RE4 if you haven't played it on another system.

Yep, that's about it. You can count 'em on one hand.

After that, it's up to you to decide where to go. I got a 360 to feed my FPS cravings and have been thoroughly happy (also with the online support).

However, if you don't have a problem treading water in the blue ocean, you can get lots of fun out of some of the mini games. Raving Rabbids is totally awesome, and even Monkey Ball is fun (though not nearly as good as its GC predecessor). Warioware is also entertaining for a while, and there's Guitar Hero I guess.

I 100% agree on Zack&Wiki btw. It's a lot of fun.

[quote name='catapult37']Yep, that's about it. You can count 'em on one hand.

After that, it's up to you to decide where to go. I got a 360 to feed my FPS cravings and have been thoroughly happy (also with the online support).
[/QUOTE]

Same here, and the Wii60 combo has made me a very happy gamer (recent Xbox Live problems aside :bomb:).

[quote name='The Crotch']Happy happy joy joy! Now we see whether or not this does anything about these threads.[/quote]

sorry to dissapoint you, but I think we'll still see them. That being said, this thread will really help a lot of people, especially since a lot of people got a wii for xmas, and need advice on what games to get. If you need any help, just ask.
somebody else

[quote name='The Crotch']Happy happy joy joy! Now we see whether or not this does anything about these threads.[/quote]

If only you knew how tempting it is for me to make anew account everyday and post "WHAT WII GAMES ARE GOOD" threads once a day...

Sigh.. college starts in 3 days...

Come to think of it, my summers are booked up solid from here 'til the Wii 2 comes out at the very least. Unless you can get an internet connection to a helicopter-access-only clearcut, someone else will have to handle this for the summer. Then again, knowing how many games come out in the summer, it could probably just be left on its own...

How did Marvel UA get anything about 50 percent on the WII? The game is garbage, as a launch title no less.. the controls were shitty.. the camera was god awful.. and after ten minutes of playing your arm got tired cuz of all the motions you had to do..

Flawed version gets 75+ -_-V GAHHHH!!!!

Eh. Save for a few games - specifically, those that I know fuck all about - review scores don't really matter. They're totally arbitrary numbers that you would need a fucking Rosetta Stone to decipher. Lots of reviewers themselves say "Don't go by the numbers - just read what we wrote, okay?" Not exactly sure why they still have numbers if they insist that they matter so little, or what you do when their words suck too, as is often the case.

In retrospect, I'm probably not the person who should be running a thread on review scores.

Oh, and I'm putting more information in the OP in a minute.

[quote name='The Crotch']Eh. Save for a few games - specifically, those that I know fuck all about - review scores don't really matter. They're totally arbitrary numbers that you would need a fucking Rosetta Stone to decipher. Lots of reviewers themselves say "Don't go by the numbers - just read what we wrote, okay?" Not exactly sure why they still have numbers if they insist that they matter so little, or what you do when their words suck too, as is often the case.
[/QUOTE]

That's true for individual reviews, but aggergate scores are more useful. If a game is getting 80 or 90% or above average across 20+ reviews, you can be pretty confident you'll like it if you are a fan of that type of games.

Still really only useful for me for games I'm on the fence about, or know nothign about and check reviews after hearing it hyped on the boards or seeing a trailer etc.

But they are useful to me and I like that this thread is based around the average review scores.

While it's true-er that combined review scores are better than individual scores, there's still the problem that they're totally arbitrary. They're good for separating crap from not crap, but I don't trust them beyond that. Kinda funny that I would base a thread around them, but whatever.

Yeah, I use them to seperate "crap I shouldn't bother checking out" from "games I should check out."

They're of course not the end all of whether a game is good or not, or whether I'll enjoy it.

But they do help me decide what to check out with my limited gaming time and budget, and help me avoid wasting time or money on games I don't end up liking. While not the end all, they're aren't many games, in genres I like anyway, that score 90% or above that I don't end up loving.

Dunno about the rest of you guys, but I'm at a point where I have to take "professional" Wii reviews with a bag of salt. Some folks will pan a game because they don't like motion controls (Wii Sports), some folks will pan a game for bogus reasons (I had no problems with Tomb Raider despite some reviews saying the game was "broken"), and a lot of folks will harshly ding casual games just because they're -- surprise! -- not oriented towards the hardcore. I'm almost reduced to reading reviews to get the general gist of a game, but rely more on word-of-mouth recommendations from folks instead.

As it is now, I've got nearly a dozen non-VC games for my Wii, and would recommend (almost) all of them as quality titles.

--R.J.

rjung: I kind of have to agree there, for the most part. The most bogus reviews I've seen are the ones where they compare a Wii game's graphics and say they aren't as good as those on the 360 or PS3. Of course they aren't going to be as good, but said reviewers don't even think to take the hardware's capabilities into consideration.

They're are some crappy Wii reviews out there. But I tend to agree with them more often than not. Esepcially the game rankings averages. Mario, Metroid and Zelda are all very high, and Super Paper Mario is decently reviewed. And those are the 4 games I've found worth buying so far (RE4 I bought the GC version before Wii port was announced).

But then again I don't dig casual games, mini games, or party games which is what tends to get hammered in reviews.

But I still take all individual reviews with a grain of salt, and again only even use the average sites when on the fence or it's a game I know nothing about.

Reviews should just be out of four whole stars. Maybe with half-stars, if a reviewer wants to be a tool. There is absolutely no conceivable way that an objective human being can say "No, this game isn't an 8.6, it's definitely an 8.7"... even saying it's a 7.0 instead of a 6.0 is a tough call to make, if 5 is average and 10 is perfect.

If it's awful, 1 star. If it's bad, 2 stars. If it's good, 3 stars. If it's amazing, 4 stars. The end.

I wish I ruled the world...

I can kind of get the point of having a 10.0 scale.

Take this past year, so far my favorite of 2007 list goes, in order:

Bioshock
Mario Galaxy
Call of Duty 4
Halo 3
Metroid Prime 3

On your star system, they'd all be 4 stars, but I can clearly rank them in that order.

Buy using a more detailed scale, I could give them scores which reflect my ranking of their quality. i.e. give Bioshock a 9.5, Mario Galaxy a 9.3, Call of Duty a 9.1, etc. etc.

The numbers are kind of arbitrary, but at least reflect the ranking.

bread's done
Back