The "Recommend me games." thread. Let's get this to one star, people! We can do it!

Not sure how much Elebits goes for these days, but it had alot of replay value to me when i had my Wii. The ability to create/edit your own stages is just something i'd consider "bang"ing.

To be honest, if you can pay full price for it.. Mario Galaxy can last you quite a while. It's very worth the $50.

But, if your looking for something along the budget titles then I'll recommend Ghost Squad! $30 (sometimes $20 at Amazon, and has been reported to be on clearance for $10 at Target). Short game, but it's A LOT of fun. You can get a lot of replay value out of it.

Resident Evil 4, although, I must say, it's just plain wrong to own a Wii and not have Super Mario Galaxy. It's definitely worth the $50 dollar price tag.

If you have someone to play with Wii Play.

Also, if you like GTA style games (and IMO I found this to be better than any GTA game), Godfather is $30 now and it's awesome. I sunk 50 hours into it, and cannot recommend it enough. One of my top Wii games.

Fire Emblem- Really Long, Good Gameplay and Plot.
Mario Galaxy- Because it is fucking Mario Galaxy and it will last awhile.
Resident Evil IV Wii Edition- It is so good you will want to come back for seconds.
Zack and Wiki- You will spend hours saying what the fuck do I do now? As long as you don't use any help sites like gamefaqs this game is long.

Im going to try to stay below $30

Zack Wiki
Scarface
Godfather
RE 4
MLB Power Pros (not sure what price point this is at right now)
Madden 07 (haven't played o8 but 07 was good)

If I had to choose just 1 it would be MLB Power Pros. If you aren't in to sports it would be RE 4. If you have already played RE4 it would be Godfather. If you have already played Godfather it would be Scarface. If you have already played Scarface it would be Zack and Wiki. :)

I liked all those quite a bit and I think they are all below $30

If you go to much lower in price you get into the crap kids game price range. Mercury Meltdown is $20 but Im not sure of the depth on that one. Marble Mania might be in the 20's. It's a great game but not something you would consider bang for your buck. Same goes for Rayman.

Zelda Twilight Princess, Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition, The Godfather (unless you've already played in on a different console), and Super Smash Brothers Brawl when it comes out in March.

if you don't own it for another system, i highly suggest guitar hero III, and everything else everyone said above!

[quote name='Foo228']Personally my favorite game, but it's not worth it to shell out $8 to replay it...yet again

Anyways, I strongly recomend it to for any "platform" fans out there

And before the question arises, It's a pretty basic game and it isn't hard (though challenging at times)[/QUOTE]
i shelled out to play it for the first time. All i can say is that its' super hard.

OP, you might also be interested in spending $20 in a Wii Points card. There are some solid titles on the Virtual Console, some are VERY much worth their price. Paper Mario @ $10 is a great price.

If you're making a tally of votes I'll add one to the Resident Evil 4 column. I've hated every RE game ever made until the Wii version.

I rarely finish games to completion but I've played through RE4 3 times already. Something about killing zombies with real aiming makes me randy.

Zelda was also really fun game that my son and I have put a total of over 100 hours into.

Sir_Fragalot has an awesome list.

I will also add a few older titles:

Zelda Twilight Princess -- most folks probably forgot about it since it was the first game they played, and beat. But it's a lengthy rpg and it's a lot of fun.

Super Paper Mario -- RPG plus old school platform elements, plus a hilarious story line.

Metroid Prime Corruption -- Fun 1st person puzzle / shooter (more puzzle though)

Super Mario Galaxy -- In my mind it's the best mario to date. Be prepared to be playing for a long, long time if you're going for 100% completion.

It would be easier to narrow down the choices if you posted the types of games you like to play, or past titles you've enjoyed.

Daminion, as much as I enjoyed Super Paper Mario (and I did, very much!), I don't think it qualifies in what the OP was looking for. I don't think it was a very long game.. Very good game, but not that long. That's just all IMO of course :)

[quote name='daminion']Sir_Fragalot has an awesome list.

I will also add a few older titles:

Zelda Twilight Princess -- most folks probably forgot about it since it was the first game they played, and beat. But it's a lengthy rpg and it's a lot of fun.

Super Paper Mario -- RPG plus old school platform elements, plus a hilarious story line.

Metroid Prime Corruption -- Fun 1st person puzzle / shooter (more puzzle though)

Super Mario Galaxy -- In my mind it's the best mario to date. Be prepared to be playing for a long, long time if you're going for 100% completion.

It would be easier to narrow down the choices if you posted the types of games you like to play, or past titles you've enjoyed.[/quote]

Well, I'm not a big fan of the RE series since I played RE2. I might get back into it. I like shooter games, so Ghost Squad sound appealing. Yet, I know Ghost Squad is short. So I will wait on that for a while. Anything with Mario and Zelda will be great. I also already have Wii Play.

In order:

Mario Galaxy
Zelda-Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption
Resident Evil 4 (if you haven't played it on GC or PS2)

Those are all fairly long games, and very good games so well worth the money.

Smash Bros next month will clearly be the best bang for your buck game if you're into the series though. Lots of single player modes, local multiplayer, and most importantly in terms of extending playablity (and adding bang for your buck)--online play.

You might as well knock out a "Must Own" game with a game that is very very long (hours-wise). With this in mind I'd suggest:

Zelda: Twilight Princess (one playthrough took me 45 hrs).
Mario Galaxy (owned for months and still don't have every star).
Metroid Prime 3 (best shooter on teh Wii Hands down). Also a fairly long game.
RE4: Wii, (just a sick, sick, sick survival horror game). My first RE game btw.

I lol'd when someone said: "Get Z&W, you'll spend hours wondering 'WTF do I do now?'"

[quote name='lilboo']OP, you might also be interested in spending $20 in a Wii Points card. There are some solid titles on the Virtual Console, some are VERY much worth their price. Paper Mario @ $10 is a great price.[/quote]

agreed. Whenever there are recommending threads, wii points cards usually pop up. A lot of VC games are cheap, long and great fun.

Zelda ocarina of time, paper mario, and super mario 64 are worth the 10 bucks, as they are seemingly endless.

I really liked super metroid and pokmon snap, snap has its replay value and metroid has its 15+ adventure mode, with an extra '5+ hours of hunting down every pickup.

on wii side, I recommend the big three: metroid, mario, zelda. I havent played zack and wiki, but I hear great things about it

[quote name='gamegirl79']The Zapper w/Link's Crossbow Training is well worth the $20 price tag.[/QUOTE]

Yep, some surprising depth to that title. I think you will get a lot more value out of it if you have a friend to compete against. That's how my friend and I turned it into dozens of hours ... no, really.

Hey folks,
I've had a Wii for a month now and am loving it. I am feeling the serious need for some motion-controlled NFL football. It looks like I can get Madden 07 for $25, or Madden 08 for $40. So the question: is 08 worth the extra $15 over 07? I don't care too much about roster updates, and I don't think I'd play the online in 08 much. I really only care from a control and feature standpoint.

TIA,
matt

If you aren't going to use the online (if it's even worthwhile after the rampant issues at launch), stick with 07. I only played a few games worth of 08, but I thought the controls were better in 07. I'm not sure if 08 added any minigames, but the ones available in 07 are good.

It's a shame 07 isn't cheaper yet, wouldn't mind rebuying it unless 09 turns out to be a return to 07 quality with online added. EA Canada needs to get control of that one again.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Chicken Little game is 5$ @ Shopko.

Solid game, good price.[/quote]

Ditto. I paid $17 for and felt it was worth it. If it hadn't been named "Chicken Little", I think it would have been more well regarded.

adventure island
castlevania
castlevania 2
kid icarus***
legend of zelda
milons secret castle***
ninja gaiden
teenage mutant ninja turtles
zelda 2

actraiser***
donkey kong country 123
super metroid

zelda OOT

toe jam and earl 1 and 2
golden axe
gunstar heroes***
shinobi 3

air zonk***
bonk 123
gate of thunder
neutopia 1&2***
new adventure island
r type***
splatterhouse***
super air zonk***

baseball stars 2

You cant go wrong with anything i mentioned here- i am really impressed with the selection of turbo grafx games that they put up, that is very solid. Very very solid. I put asterisks by the great games that almost no one plays or talks about.

if you love RPGs you might want
breath of fire 2
shining force
star tropics
paper mario
Phantasy star 2

if you love shooters then get
blazing lazers
super c
galaga or galaga 90

i THINK alien soldier and alien storm were good shooters if they are the games i am thinking of.

If square enix ever puts secret of mana, chrono trigger etc on there, then get those too. And yeah, if mother 3, earthbound, or mother ever show up, then get those.

And if dungeon explorer 2, beypnd shadowgate, or some of the good import turbo shooters show up, then get those too.

I am not sure why sin and punishment is the most expensive game on the list, other than because it is an import.

edit added phantasy star 2

[quote name='MysticalJezus']No way, 08 blows 07 out of the water.[/QUOTE]

MJ, can you explain what you like better about 08?

[quote name='doubledown']So, do they old sports games hold up at all?
- Punch Out
- Blades of Steel
- Ice Hockey
- Tecmo Bowl (no names apparently)
- Baseball Stars 2
- NES Playaction Football

Not sure what else is there....I still have to buy some VC games.[/QUOTE]

i liked mike tysons punch out- never played the other version(the version that is up on the VC),

blades of steel is a solid hockey game, tho there are far far better hockey games on the genesis(somebody make gretzky's head bleed for super fan number 99 over there).

Tecmo super bowl is better than tecmo bowl. Ice hockey is nothing special, ditto for play action football.

Baseball stars 1 is fantastic for the create a character formula, I *think* they brought that back for part 2 but i never played part 2.

This thread made me realize something: i must go out and buy a nintendo Wii. I am too old to be playing video games but fuck it, this is too good, i may not get all of these, i have played many of them already but some are worth replaying

No recommendations for Endless Ocean? It's only $30, and trying to find all the secrets in the game will take quite a while. And it's still perfectly enjoyable even after that...

--R.J.

Someone can confirm or deny this, but my brother told me that they actually took player creation OUT of 08, and that it was kind of a theme ... things that were in 07 being taken out of 08.

I don't have 08, so I don't know positively.

I am liking the responses. I am curious about VC. I always wanted to play the Paper Mario series since N64. What other bang for your buck VC games are good.

[quote name='maguszxz']I am liking the responses. I am curious about VC. I always wanted to play the Paper Mario series since N64. What other bang for your buck VC games are good.[/quote]
If you have friends Mario Kart 64, otherwise don't bother since the single player sucks pretty hard.

Paper Mario was fun, but sort of got boring. Just know that it's an RPG. My playthrough was about 20 hours and I made an effort to get a lot of the items and whatnot, but I don't think I was close to 100%.

For what you're looking for, I'd say just go for 07 then. I have 08, and I do play online and was happy to have some new rosters, so I got it (mind you it was my first Wii game).

anything particularly good for a child about 5 years old that i could help play? something he could mostly play with occasional asistance?

[quote name='snipegod']Someone can confirm or deny this, but my brother told me that they actually took player creation OUT of 08...[/quote]Huh?

Well, I picked up Madden 07 today. The motion controls are amazing. If they can bring the graphics to a higher-than-PS2-level, this could be my favorite game on the Wii.

[quote name='maguszxz']I am liking the responses. I am curious about VC. I always wanted to play the Paper Mario series since N64. What other bang for your buck VC games are good.[/quote]

about the people recommending mariokart 64, I'm not so sure. Yes, I do own it, but mariokart DS is the better option, and you can buy it for the same price if you shop around or are willing to buy used copies. Although, the multiplayer on the 64 version is convienient for players who dont own a DS. still, the DS version supports wifi and 1 cart 4 players.

paper mario is a great game, nothing amazing. Its more of an adventure than an RPG ,just like metroid prime is more a adventure than FPS. The battle sytem is kept fresh with the badges, team members, special moves and items you gain, and you'll never use the same move 30 or so times over. The visuals are nice, and if you liked the yoshis island/story ''pastel'' setting, you'll like this.

phew, I feel like I'm writing a review or something :p. hope that helped

bread's done
Back