The "Recommend me games." thread. Let's get this to one star, people! We can do it!

Going to a four-star system would just make things worse. As arbitrary as the difference between 9.2 and 9.8 is, it's a hell of a lot better than the difference between 3/4 and 3.5/4. Besides that, we like our numbers easy to fractionalize, and 0.875 would have a lot of nerds pulling out their calculators.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: no numbers, no stars, no elementary-school-style grades (Does A+ equal 10/10, or 9.5/10?). If you need to absolutely sum something up, just give me a nice, short blurb.

"Only worth it for fans of the genre."

There. Was that so fucking hard?

"A definite buy for everyone."

Look! No more "Zelda only got an 8.6?" Or an 8.4. I can't actually remember what GS gave it. Now I admit, this uses up slightly more ink on a page, but unless there are any octopus-huggers in the room here, I don't think anyone will mind.

[quote name='The Crotch']Going to a four-star system would just make things worse. As arbitrary as the difference between 9.2 and 9.8 is, it's a hell of a lot better than the difference between 3/4 and 3.5/4. Besides that, we like our numbers easy to fractionalize, and 0.875 would have a lot of nerds pulling out their calculators.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: no numbers, no stars, no elementary-school-style grades (Does A+ equal 10/10, or 9.5/10?). If you need to absolutely sum something up, just give me a nice, short blurb.

"A definite buy for everyone."

Look! No more "Zelda only got an 8.6?" Or an 8.4. I can't actually remember what GS gave it. Now I admit, this uses up slightly more ink on a page, but unless there are any octopus-huggers in the room here, I don't think anyone will mind.[/quote]

nope. good job though. Always here to help ^_-

[quote name='The Crotch']As arbitrary as the difference between 9.2 and 9.8 is, it's a hell of a lot better than the difference between 3/4 and 3.5/4.[/QUOTE]

I usually agree with you, but not there. I think the comparison is a bit off.

First, I think a game that gets a 9.2 is likely to be either 4 stars on a whole-star system or 3 and a half on a half-star system. 9.8 is definitely a four-star game.

I think it's easier to say that four star (9.8) game is amazing and the three and a half star (9.2) is great. There's no need at all to quantify it as a numeral, leave it symbolic. It's not 87.5%, it's half a star shy of amazing.

It has worked great for movies, music, hotels, food, etc... there's no reason it wouldn't work great for games.

[quote name='Koggit']I usually agree with you, but not there. I think the comparison is a bit off.[/quote]I'm sure the irony of that statement tastes delicious.

[quote name='Koggit']First, I think[/quote]We're getting into dangerous territory there already. That's how arbitrary scales and numbers start.
[quote name='Koggit']a game that gets a 9.2 is likely to be either 4 stars on a whole-star system or 3 and a half on a half-star system. 9.8 is definitely a four-star game.[/quote]The miracle of rounding agrees with you, but I must ask: what advantage is there to having less clarity? What advantage is there to saying that something is "About three out of four" versus saying "7.6 out of ten"?

[quote name='Koggit']I think it's easier to say that four star (9.8) game is amazing and the three and a half star (9.2) is great. There's no need at all to quantify it as a numeral, leave it symbolic. It's not 87.5%, it's half a star shy of amazing.[/quote]Ahem.
[quote name='Koggit']I think mathematically...[/quote]
A-hem.

[quote name='Koggit']It has worked great for movies, music, hotels, food, etc... there's no reason it wouldn't work great for games.[/quote]The quality of a hotel is a lot easier to quantify and assign a number to than a game, movie, or piece of music. You never have to worry about how many points on a star you should deduct because "the Best Western in Saskatoon this year was pretty much identical to what it was in 2007 - talk about a lazy, rushed sequel!"

[quote name='The Crotch']The miracle of rounding agrees with you, but I must ask: what advantage is there to having less clarity? What advantage is there to saying that something is "About three out of four" versus saying "7.6 out of ten"?[/QUOTE]

Clarity? It's faux precision. It's why we have standards for significant digits. 7.63439 is not more accurate than 7.6 if the observer (reviewer) is unsure of the reading past tenths. If we need more clarity, why stop at a 100-point scale? Why not have a 1,000-point scale and rate Super Mario Galaxy 9.23? Afterall, it's certainly a higher quality game than just 9.2. But it's not quite a 9.3.

The advantage to less of this so-perceived "clarity" is that there would be less emphasis on score and more emphasis on the actual review. The final rating would be looked at only as a rough guide of quality, as is the case with other forms of critiquing and as it should be with video games.

[quote name='The Crotch']The quality of a hotel is a lot easier to quantify and assign a number to than a game, movie, or piece of music. You never have to worry about how many points on a star you should deduct because "the Best Western in Saskatoon this year was pretty much identical to what it was in 2007 - talk about a lazy, rushed sequel!"[/QUOTE]

While true, that doesn't detract from the worth of my statement.

[quote name='Koggit']Clarity? It's faux precision. It's why we have standards for significant digits. 7.63439 is not more accurate than 7.6 if the observer (reviewer) is unsure of the reading past tenths. If we need more clarity, why stop at a 100-point scale? Why not have a 1,000-point scale and rate Super Mario Galaxy 9.23? Afterall, it's certainly a higher quality game than just 9.2. But it's not quite a 9.3.

The advantage to less of this so-perceived "clarity" is that there would be less emphasis on score and more emphasis on the actual review. The final rating would be looked at only as a rough guide of quality, as is the case with other forms of critiquing and as it should be with video games.[/quote]Then why not go all the way? If you don't want to deal with numbers out of ten million or letters from A+++ to F- or what "ten anal rapists out of fifty two anal rapists" means, then why bother with stars? If four stars means "This is a fantastic game!", why not just have the final rating say: "This is fantastic game!"?

[quote name='Koggit']While true, that doesn't detract from the worth of my statement.[/quote]I think that was one of those agree to disagree bits, actually, but whatever. Except for the hotels - they just plain don't fit.

Way to work sig figs into a post, by the way.

Good post, couple of comments and 1 correction

Correction:

[quote name='The Crotch']
Excite Truck - 75% - Great fun, but limited options. Spiritual successor of Excite Truck Bike, but I don't think it has the beloved track editor of its NES predecessor. Multiplayer is only for two people.
[/quote]

Comment:

Mortal Kombat: Armaggeddon - 72.9% - Dunno much about this fighter. Multiplayer's a given in it, though it is not online.
[/quote]
Only thing to add here is that this version of MK is probably the easiest I've ever played. The Wii controls make performing complex special moves and fatalities easy.

Also, I'd like to see this expanded to as many Wii release titles as we can. Many of us have kids and even though we would probably never play Chicken Little or Disney's Princess Adventures ourselves, our kids would. And when buying titles for little ones it's nice to know which ones are actually fun for kids and which are just too hard.

I'll add this title since we rented it and my kids loved it.

941743_92292.jpg

Disney Princess: Enchanted Journey
Great title for young children. It has 2 player coop, no online. It's a very easy 3rd person adventure / platformer. Gamers are rewarded with an animted cut scenes after they complete each section. I was personally impressed with the graphics, I was expecting very poor graphics but the game looks really good. The game is overally very short, my son (6) and daughter (4) beat it in coop mode in about 6 hours.

[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with having numbers and short blurbs? i.e. IGN has numbers, a long review, and a nice short sum up at the end.

EGM used to be very good about having short blurbs as well. They still are sometimes, but too often waste their words with reviewers arguing with each other etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']What's wrong with having numbers and short blurbs? i.e. IGN has numbers, a long review, and a nice short sum up at the end.

EGM used to be very good about having short blurbs as well. They still are sometimes, but too often waste their words with reviewers arguing with each other etc.[/quote]My point/assertion is that the numbers do absolutely nothing but distract from the review itself.

[quote name='daminion']
Correction: [/quote]fuck.

[quote name='daminion']Comment:

Only thing to add here is that this version of MK is probably the easiest I've ever played. The Wii controls make performing complex special moves and fatalities easy.[/quote]Will add that.

[quote name='daminion']Also, I'd like to see this expanded to as many Wii release titles as we can. Many of us have kids and even though we would probably never play Chicken Little or Disney's Princess Adventures ourselves, our kids would. And when buying titles for little ones it's nice to know which ones are actually fun for kids and which are just too hard.

I'll add this title since we rented it and my kids loved it.

941743_92292.jpg

Disney Princess: Enchanted Journey
Great title for young children. It has 2 player coop, no online. It's a very easy 3rd person adventure / platformer. Gamers are rewarded with an animted cut scenes after they complete each section. I was personally impressed with the graphics, I was expecting very poor graphics but the game looks really good. The game is overally very short, my son (6) and daughter (4) beat it in coop mode in about 6 hours.[/quote]I'll add this one, but I won't enjoy adding it.

I just got my first Wii Points card and im wondering what i should get. Im thinking SM64 ,Super Mario World and Lost Levels. Never played the Metroid titles(except for prime 3), they just seemed to freaky for me. ;)

What are some "must-have" titles on the VC right now? Im assuming the upcoming Super Smash Bros is one of them, right?

[quote name='Zen Davis']Get some new stuff.

Beyond Oasis
Star Tropics
The Legend of The Mystical Ninja[/QUOTE]
what's that stuff supposed to be about.
Star tropics seems nice...

Get Super Metroid and Sin and Punishment. They're easily the best titles on the VC, and probably the best titles of their respective systems.

I'd also recommend:
Ninja Spirit (awesome and hard old-school ninja action)
Ocarina of Time (duh)
Mario Kart 64 (if you have four Gamecube controllers)
Alien Soldier (hard, surreal, and awesome)
Starfox 64 (in case you ever tire of Sin and Punishment, which you won't)
Doctor Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine/Kirby's Avalanche (the best two-player puzzler ever)

[quote name='tankexmortis']Get Super Metroid and Sin and Punishment. They're easily the best titles on the VC, and probably the best titles of their respective systems.[/QUOTE]

This is the correct answer, and will remain the correct answer until Earthbound comes out.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Super Metroid
Super Mario World
Super Mario Bros 3
Zelda A Link to the Past[/quote]

This, plus Startropics. Maybe even Mario Kart.

WrestleCrap'sRD;3861296 said:
I have massive love for Baseball Stars 2.

RD
Baseballstars 2 is going to be on the ps2 neo-geo collection volume 1.
I would say alien soldier is a must. I also really enjoy the donkey kong country series. I would have bought punchout if I didn' t already own it.
Sin and Punishment is another one you shouldn't pass up.
The next games I am going to get are star tropics and super contra.

Sin & Punishment is a good purchase, considering it's currently the most expensive. It's well worth it. Really. Plus buying it supports the game and we just might get a new game made for the Wii.. Right? RIGHT?!?

Air Zonk is a good time, not so much for Super Air Zonk. All 3 Bonk's are a good time. Anything Mario.. Super Metroid....Um. There's a lot of really good games. I'm sorry :whistle2:(

Thanks for the suggestions also....I have yet to buy a VC game yet. I have 2000 points, and just got 4000 more via the Dell $25 coupon fiasco.

I was thinking of getting some Super Nintendo games or N64 games since I never owned either.
How is Splatterhouse for the T16? I never played any T16 games at all....or Neo Geo really. Baseball Stars may be mine as I'm a sports fan.

Paper Mario is awesome.

I bought Sin & Punishment but it's basically unplayable with the Wavebird (requires D-pad). Time to buy a classic controller...

[quote name='ma']Paper Mario is awesome.

I bought Sin & Punishment but it's basically unplayable with the Wavebird (requires D-pad). Time to buy a classic controller...[/quote]
Yeah, forgot to mention that. However, even with the 20 bucks for the CC, it's still easily worth it at 32 dollars for one of the best gaming experiences ever.

[quote name='doubledown']What is Sin & Punishment about? What type of game is it?[/quote]
Imagine Neon Genesis Evangalion, only with terrible voice-acting.
Now imagine that you have a gun and shoot everything that moves.
Now imagine that it is glorious.
That's what Sin & Punishment is.

Real answer: It's an on-rails shooter by Treasure (creators of Gunstar Heroes, Ikaruga, etc) about a a couple rebelling against a fascist regime and their god-like pal. It's absolutely insane in the most positive way.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Mmm just watched some Sin and punishment videos. DLing ASAP.
Was that a Japanese only release orginally?[/quote]

Yep, that's why it costs 200 points more since it's an import title.

seems like repeated reccomendations are:

-Sin and Punishment
-Alien Soldier
-Paper mario(have not finished PMTTYD. Haven't played for 4 months)
-Supe Metroid

Im also thinking about:
SMW
SM64
SF64
Kid Icarus
Lost Levels

This is going to take me alot of wii points cards to buy...

Let's be careful on overemphasizing Alien Soldier. It is for the hardcore gamer, really. If you have a friend, consider Gunstar Heroes for the same gameplay and co-op instead.

But if you're not willing to bear the frustration, then you may want to avoid both!

Is Sin and Punishment frustrating as well?

I hear Treasure and I immediately think Old School Hardcore Shooter.

It has an easy mode that seems plenty accessible. The controls have a bit of a learning curve, but otherwise, its frequent checkpoints are beginner friendly.

You know, Nights is a great game. I think a lot of people dogged it because of what they heard, and never tried it.

I enjoyed the hell out of it.

I beat it, and loved it.

But now no more heroes is where its at..

AND IM PICKING UP ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS FOR 19.99 TODAY! WOO!

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']You know, Nights is a great game. I think a lot of people dogged it because of what they heard, and never tried it.

I enjoyed the hell out of it.

I beat it, and loved it.

But now no more heroes is where its at..

AND IM PICKING UP ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS FOR 19.99 TODAY! WOO![/quote]

I still want to play nights. Why would you even want alvin and the chipmunks?

[quote name='jman619']I still want to play nights. Why would you even want alvin and the chipmunks?[/quote]

Girlfriend wants it, shes been wanting it since it came out. and its 19.99 now.

So price match at CC, 49.99-33.00=16.99=18.xx :)

She wants to play it.

Crotch I had a chance to play CHICKEN LITTLE : ACE IN ACTION.

40 percent

Controls are GOD AWFUL, and its hella short.. very disappointing.. i loved the chicken little movie.. and this was.. words cant describe the horror it was.

[quote name='The Crotch']Just for you, I add Chicken Little and Alvin. In the kids' section. Does either game have multiplayer?

Nice signature, though.[/quote]

Alvin is 2 players offline, no online.

Chicken Little ace in action is 2 players as well, I dont think its online tho.

Also.. battallion wars is in the A column for some reason..

My favorites on the VC are Kirby's Dream Course and Super Mario World. Paper Mario, Donkey Kong Country 1+2, Bomberman 93, and Street Fighter II Turbo are also good. The selection is pretty impressive overall even if the new releases have started to slack off a bit.

[quote name='Gourd']Is Sin and Punishment frustrating as well?

I hear Treasure and I immediately think Old School Hardcore Shooter.[/QUOTE]

It's a little tough but not that hard. Mind you, I played with the GC controller and it was horrible because of hard it was to play the game but even then, I got pretty far at it.

I really need a good alternative (other than the Wiimote dangling Classic Controller).

Did anyone REALLY think harvey birdman was gonna be good?

Honestly?

I remember people were saying "OMG ITS LIKE PHOENIX WRIGHT BUT FOR THE DS LETS GO GET IT ASAP PRE ORDER GOGO" And it turned out to be terrible.

Expect that game to go 19.99 real quick -_- :(

So, do they old sports games hold up at all?
- Punch Out
- Blades of Steel
- Ice Hockey
- Tecmo Bowl (no names apparently)
- Baseball Stars 2
- NES Playaction Football

Not sure what else is there....I still have to buy some VC games.

There's a forgotten gem on the VC called Super Mario World. One of those games that came out before the SNES was able to pick up steam. You know, in the early days when Nintendo sold 1 console for every 5 of Sega's. As a result of poor market timing, sales of this "Super Mario" World suffered.

Be sure to stick with it through the early stages. It's kind of odd--dinosaur riding and mushroom eating (WTF!)--but it will pay off. Plus, there are turtles that walk on their hind legs. Hilarious!

[quote name='dothog']There's a forgotten gem on the VC called Super Mario World. One of those games that came out before the SNES was able to pick up steam. You know, in the early days when Nintendo sold 1 console for every 5 of Sega's. As a result of poor market timing, sales of this "Super Mario" World suffered.

Be sure to stick with it through the early stages. It's kind of odd--dinosaur riding and mushroom eating (WTF!)--but it will pay off. Plus, there are turtles that walk on their hind legs. Hilarious![/quote]

Personally my favorite game, but it's not worth it to shell out $8 to replay it...yet again

Anyways, I strongly recomend it to for any "platform" fans out there

And before the question arises, It's a pretty basic game and it isn't hard (though challenging at times)

I'm now a new Wii owner, and a cheap one at that. I really need some new software that won't break my already fractured budget. I like games that are pretty long with good gameplay and plot. I was wondering if you guy know any good "Bang for your Buck" games. Games that will hold attention until I can do more. Thanks in advance.

bread's done
Back