Official 2008 Yard Sale Thread

What's with everyone reserving an early post in the yardsale thread lol

IkilledLassic I get that your thinking in doing so was incase you found something crazy like Bubble Bath Babes sealed and mint in the wild for a quarter but I think you started a tread here ;)

We'll have plenty of room for everyone to post their finds in this thread it won't be gone like the Wii and beside if people do come back and keep editing early posts later on they will just have to post again anyways to let people know that they updated an old post with what they recently found.

Look at the yard sale threads from past years, you people will see that there is no need to reserve a spot in the yard sale thread.
Listen to Fonewearl, idiots.
Were not going to page through the entire thread looking to see if someone edited their post and put new things in it. Were only going to check the new posts, editing a post does not make it show up as a new post.

[quote name='skid']Look at the yard sale threads from past years, you people will see that there is no need to reserve a spot in the yard sale thread.
Listen to Fonewearl, idiots.
Were not going to page through the entire thread looking to see if someone edited their post and put new things in it. Were only going to check the new posts, editing a post does not make it show up as a new post.[/quote]

It was kinda for a joke, didnt expect a trend, so relax butthole, no need to call people idiots.

FONEwearl, I doubt Ill ever have a find like Panzer Saga again, but I figured if i did, well, you understand.

[quote name='IkilledLassic']It was kinda for a joke, didnt expect a trend, so relax butthole, no need to call people idiots.

FONEwearl, I doubt Ill ever have a find like Panzer Saga again, but I figured if i did, well, you understand.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I hear that but you never know what you just might find in the wild if you luck out. I myself haven't found anything video game related worth that much yet but I can look over the last 2-3 years and think back to probably about a donzen things I've found for about change to $3 that are worth about $25-50ish if you ask eBay.

I try to set my goals fairly low for hunting for games in the wild since nobody is going to find every rare/uncommon game even for a system that was popular like the NES.

My goal for this year will be to find a sealed NES game since I don't have anything sealed for the NES. Hopefully something good but I won't complain even if it's something that is shit as long as I can get it for a buck or two :)

My goal this year is to find an NES. That might not sound hard to you at all, but for a kid my age that isn't old enough to drive and who has parents who don't like the second-hand market it can be pretty challenging. I might have to end up just using... shopgoodwill. Yes, I said it.

[quote name='FOnewearl']Yeah I hear that but you never know what you just might find in the wild if you luck out. I myself haven't found anything video game related worth that much yet but I can look over the last 2-3 years and think back to probably about a donzen things I've found for about change to $3 that are worth about $25-50ish if you ask eBay.

I try to set my goals fairly low for hunting for games in the wild since nobody is going to find every rare/uncommon game even for a system that was popular like the NES.

My goal for this year will be to find a sealed NES game since I don't have anything sealed for the NES. Hopefully something good but I won't complain even if it's something that is shit as long as I can get it for a buck or two :)[/quote]

A sealed NES game eh? Good luck man, Im rooting for ya. And yes, Im selling my spot for $300.... It was a joke man.... Everyone needs to relax.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Who the hell has garage sales in January?[/quote]

You'd be surprised man, check out Craigslist.

[quote name='IkilledLassic']A sealed NES game eh? Good luck man, Im rooting for ya. And yes, Im selling my spot for $300.... It was a joke man.... Everyone needs to relax.[/QUOTE]

I've ran into a few 16-bit games sealed over the last few years one even being Street Fighter II for the SNES ;) IIRC the guy mentioned that it was a meant to be given as a gift or recieved as a gift or something along the lines of that.

I also asked about video games at one sale about 3 years ago and went over to the guys house and he had abunch of stuff all/mostly intellivision, 2600 including some accessories & IIRC a few games still sealed but he was asking $150 to start with so I ended up never following though with the deal as after thinking about it I passed as I figured I would never get to playing the games much (if ever) with everything else I have that I need to get to and it would end up being to big of a purchase out of nostalgia. I remember seeing one of the games with a tag that said .99, makes me wish I was smart enough to be trying to look for cheap/clearance game when I was younger during the 8-bit era or before.

I wouldn't expect much if I did luck out and find something sealed most likely something that nobody cared to open like Orb 3D :D I would hope for something really common or fairly common that I like (TMNT or Russian Attack would be nice) but being my luck if I do run across a sealed NES game the box would probably be smushed and the game would probably be Bases Loaded II.

[quote name='Demontooth']It's not cold everywhere in January. Hell, it's 75 degrees here today.[/QUOTE]
It's 2 degrees ATM.

1001478ht4.jpg

JVC X'Eye, RF, 1 controller
TOTAL: $2.00

Picked this up at a local moving sale that was advertising games. Have'nt been out much lately due to the weather. But stopped by this moving sale cause it was close to home. There were tons of PS2 and Xbox games all way overpriced. I asked for any older stuff and the guy went upstairs and came back with this.
He said it would not read the discs but played the cartridges fine. Remembering I read somewhere about a common CD lid switch problem on these units I decided to give it a go and CIF'd $2 which was initially shot down. The guy proceeded to tell me how he paid over $400 for this new and so on and so on. When he was done I told him "The CD does'nt work, there's no plug and you do'nt have any games for it, it's basically junk unless I can fix it, I shot him a kind of c'mon look and stuck the $2 back in his face. He thought for a minute and took the cash.

Got home and sure enough the cd would'nt read. Looked around online a bit and found a site which diagramed the bypass or replacement for the CD door pinswitch. I went with the bypass option which was just soldering a piece of copper wire to the switch leads and 15 minutes later I was rocking the X'Eye

[quote name='whitedeath']count me in[/quote]

I'm with you, too!

Can't wait for the season to start in my area...

And nice find on that Xeye, you s.o.b. ;D

I'm hoping to find a 3DO or a CD-i this year....I live in a backwoods community so the chances are greater of someone selling that to me for $20. However, the chances are also greater that it may not work....

I wouldn't be surprised to see more X-Box 360 or PS3 games and PS2/XBX games this year.

I'm really wanting some more dreamcast games and a turbo grafx system or sega master system.

Do I post flea market finds here?

If so:

Zelda: Majora's Mask
Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Diddy Kong Racing
and a Broken Paper Mario :bomb:

=$24.00

Well, I'm hoping I'll be able to find just ONE game this year. Apparently Denmark isn't the place to be gamesaling-wise :cry:

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this thread filling up as the weather gets warmer, and hopefully I'll be able to contribute a bit this year and not just absorb the yardsaling vibe like the previous years.

Cheers, and happy yardsaling, everyone! :cool:

Dude...Snotknocker and EvilMax/Moeity are the freaking Solid Snakes of yard sales.

But it takes a HUGE commitment and a TON of time to score those one in a million deals I've seen them post. You can easily make a decent living I'd guess, probably at least 50K a year, by being a yard sale pro 'full time'. At least in a decent area and if you have a keen eye and broad amount of knowledge over a large variety of collectible types (i.e. you should know as much about furniture as possible...and the amount to know is ridiculous, toys, glassware, porcelain, etc.)...basically, just about everything is collectible and collected by someone out there. The key is maximizing your profit...buying stuff for the best price and finding the collector who will pay the most for it.

LA just blows...too many sales every week to cover and over way too vast an area, people thinking their garbage is worth gold, too much competition. I just stick with being a craigslist deal stalker. I just do it for my own collecting mainly and not to resell (if I come across something I already have or know I could easily make a huge profit on, then I'll bite, sure - who wouldn't), especially since there is no way that doing the yard sale hunting for profit thing could ever come close to what I make in my real work.

But I have entertained the idea of doing the yard saling/flea market thing full time, since I do enjoy the thrill of the hunt and landing an awesome deal so much. But that would only happen most likely if and when I'd be retired, or if I was so vastly wealthy that it would be foolish to work.

I'm not sure if Snotknocker and EvilMax/Moeity do this for a living, but judging by the scores they've posted here and on their site, they could definitely make good money doing it full time and just reselling on eBay or whatnot. I'm SO jealous of their scores but at the same time I do realize it's a lot of hard work, wasted time running around and going all over hoping for a good score before some competition swoops on it, all day Saturday and Sunday from WAY EARLY in the morning until you are too tired in the afternoon to continue. God bless 'em. The rates of finding a particularly good score must be something close to 1 in 50 or 100.

Spot on Karkyco; Ive seen gems in areas of both affluence and areas of lesser incomes. But here on Long Island, most kids my age or younger who had Genesis, NES, SNES, etc, if they haven't already pawned them rid themselves of systems and games at very cheap prices. Funny thing, Craigslist in NY is utterly useless for video game finds, at least from my luck and recollection.

There is seriously no need to reserve a spot. No one is going to look back through the whole thread when it gets to 1000 or so replies. If you have a find, make a new post. Nobody is going to have a litter of kittens if you don't keep everything you find in one post.

If I've learned anything about yardsaling from this thread it's that location can be a big factor in how well you do when yardsaling for video games.

Another thing I've learned in the Deal/Shopping Discussions & Bragging Rights threads is that different CAGs in different areas do best in the wild by different means, some pretty much exclusively stick to yardsales while others mostly just check pawn shops regularly etc. etc.

[quote name='IkilledLassic']Spot on Karkyco; Ive seen gems in areas of both affluence and areas of lesser incomes. But here on Long Island, most kids my age or younger who had Genesis, NES, SNES, etc, if they haven't already pawned them rid themselves of systems and games at very cheap prices. Funny thing, Craigslist in NY is utterly useless for video game finds, at least from my luck and recollection.[/quote]

I think the absolute key (besides CiF - CASH IN FACE CASH IN FACE CASH.IN.FACE!!!) is to always ASK if they have the types of items you're looking for. If you want vintage or classic toys, ask the person running the sale "I don't see any, do you happen to have any old toys you'd be willing to sell?" or "do you have any old video games?" A lot of huge scores come from asking - it never hurts to ask, and it never hurts to make an offer. The worst they can say is no, either to having the items you're looking for or no to your offer.

DON'T say 'classic' or 'vintage', you don't want to tip your hand and give them the idea as to what their stuff is really worth. Sorry, but you need to be out for yourself and trying to get the best score possible...nothing illegal with offering FAR less than an item is worth and getting it for that price. It's just the way of the world. Is it unscrupulous and possibly morally reprehensible, sure. But you need to look out for #1 in this world. Business 101. (maybe I'm just too jaded from living in LA and other dog eat dog global cities, hahaha!!!)

As for older systems...the best are the empty nesters like the baby boomers, who are downsizing or cleaning out the place and getting rid of the crap their kids left behind as they went off to college or moved out etc. You will find monster scores at these places if you ask!

I went to a yard sale this past weekend and found an empty-nester who was selling vintage gaming equip. 2/09/08 indoor sale.

I picked up, for 25.00,
1) Kaleco Vision
2) Atari Adapter
3) Two joysticks
4) Popeye the Game
5) Star Wars
6) Asteroids
7) Some penguin racing game
8) E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
9) Pitfall

The downfall? It's missing a cord -_-

[quote name='dyeknom']I went to a yard sale this past weekend and found an empty-nester who was selling vintage gaming equip. 2/09/08 indoor sale.

I picked up, for 25.00,
1) Kaleco Vision
2) Atari Adapter
3) Two joysticks
4) Popeye the Game
5) Star Wars
6) Asteroids
7) Some penguin racing game
8) E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
9) Pitfall

The downfall? It's missing a cord -_-[/quote]

Congrats on the find, but I think you overpaid...you probably should have cash-in-faced $5 and gone from there.

[quote name='anomynous']It's cold, I don't think there's gonna be very many sales yet[/quote]

No doubt.

I've never found anything aside from the requisite copies of ET and other older games that're overpriced before. The one lady at the local flea market was supposed to dig through all of her boxes of crap the last time I talked to her(bout a month ago) and see if she could find the Genesis systems she has laying around.

But, if the systems are anything like the games I've seen she has already out for them, I doubt I'd want ANY of them(mostly sports with torn/faded labels). I figure, if the games are cart only, missing parts of their labels and what not, then what do the systems look like?

Attention all yardsalers!

We are proud to introduce Dom & Liz's Visual Route Planner!

Dom & Liz’s Visual Route Planner is a web-based application which allows you to input multiple addresses, and then create a driving route between them. Planning your route is quick, fun, and easy, and you will see it being created right before your eyes. All you need to do is point and click!

mapmarkers.jpg

The VRP was created to solve a problem that has afflicted us for years. Every week, we needed to plan out a route, and find driving directions between 30-60 unique addresses. This process would often take hours to complete, and after doing it for so long, we figured that there had to be a better way. Now, with the VRP, we can complete this process in minutes!

We hope that this application saves you as much time and effort as it does for us. Please feel free to give us feedback and let us know if it works for you!

bread's done
Back