Tales from Good Will / Salvation Army 2008

JTHuffy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
37 (100%)
This thread is for your tales of getting great bargains at your local good will / salvation army / volunteers of america / other thrift stores.

Here's mine. Today I went in mine, and noticed in their "electronics" case a Wii remote...I looked closer, it was marked $20! My attention has been grabbed. I look closer, and see several Wii games, but I couldn't see prices on the games. I ask to look, they had Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games new sealed for $24.99, Wii Play used (with Wiimote) for $24.99, 2 Wiimotes for 19.99 each (both opened), Guitar Hero III complete for $49.99, and the best deal of all...Super Mario Galaxy opened, but mint, for $19.99. I bought Mario Galaxy and Wii Play (for a friend who needs 1 more Wiimote, but we both already have the game, so I'll trade in the game at EB or whatever for more than the $5 difference). I'm psyched!

[quote name='JTHuffy']Here's mine. Today I went in mine, and noticed in their "electronics" case a Wii remote...I looked closer, it was marked $20! My attention has been grabbed. I look closer, and see several Wii games, but I couldn't see prices on the games. I ask to look, they had Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games new sealed for $24.99, Wii Play used (with Wiimote) for $24.99, 2 Wiimotes for 19.99 each (both opened), Guitar Hero III complete for $49.99, and the best deal of all...Super Mario Galaxy opened, but mint, for $19.99. I bought Mario Galaxy and Wii Play (already have it, but for the remote and I'll trade in the game at EB or whatever for more than the $5 difference). I'm psyched![/quote]

Nice deal, I wish my Goodwill would have stuff like that. I'd picked up Mario Sonic

Guitar Hero III (360) bundle - $39.99
Classic Controller (Wii) - $9.99
Sega Dreamcast (system only) - $10
Live Arcade Stick (360) - $4.99

I love Goodwill.

[quote name='JJSP']Guitar Hero III (360) bundle - $39.99

I love Goodwill.[/quote]

my GW is crazy on there prices 90% of the time I went there a week ago and they wanted $30 for a ps1 with no cords or games and they wanted $20 for a dreamcast with no cards. They also had a SNES with nor cords for $25 and that was just last week. They have had much worse deals before :bomb:

I really don't get how people can find these things at Goodwill. Granted I don't go very often but when I do the "electronics" section consists of 5 vhs's, a stack of old cassettes and a turn table.

[quote name='JJSP']Guitar Hero III (360) bundle - $39.99

I love Goodwill.[/quote]

Oh my God, and that's an OC Goodwill store? In LA they are totally pillaged. I've never so much as seen a game related item. The bastard workers take anything that is remotely good that gets donated for themselves.

i hate this one kid whose mom works there
his mom saves him all the good stuff
i mean i saw GH2 bundle for xbox 360 ok? (this was befor GH3 came out)
i took it to the counter and the first thing the woman said was "HOW DID THIS GET OUT HERE?"
after that she called someone, told her what it was and told me $50
i didn't have enough and i regretfully left it there

two weeks later at a lan party that kid whose mom works their brought his GH2 to the party in a goodwill bag.....
and there was a reciet that said 0.00
i wanted to open up a can of fuck on the kid

Best haul I have ever got seriously was
Panzer Dragoon 1 and 2
Shining Force III
Shining the holy Ark
Christmas Nights
Guardian Heroes
Nights
Saga Saturn System
Action replay for Saturn
Dungeons and Dragons Saturn import
$30 total at Salvation Army in Berea, Kentucky 3 years ago All games complete etc. and in flawless shape no sleave for christmas nights
The crappy thing is the cashier told me that they had more games that they had put out early ...and said there was another panzer dragoon game... don't know if it was saga are not, but I feel bad for whoever donated that stuff.

[quote name='karkyco']Oh my God, and that's an OC Goodwill store? In LA they are totally pillaged. I've never so much as seen a game related item. The bastard workers take anything that is remotely good that gets donated for themselves.[/quote]
The key is to find a Goodwill with a "Computer Works" attached. The only two I know of in OC are Santa Ana (which is where 95% of the shopgoodwill.com items come from) and in Fullerton. Most of the good things I've found have been Target returns (usually open box) since Target salvages a lot of their electronics to Goodwill.

The Santa Ana location almost always has game related items. I've seen everything from Wiimotes (24.99) and nunchuks (9.99) to complete SNES and N64 games ($5-8). They're particularly great for classic controllers (N64, PS1, and DC).

Best thing about Goodwill is that almost all of the profits go to a great cause (and since they're a non-profit, no sales tax!). :)

fuck you people. Seriously, fuck you all.

I get jack shit at my goodwill. Hell, they charge like $10 for a worn out pair of 90's jeans.

I wish my Goodwill and Waterfront Mission had more than just stinky clothes and old useless appliances/household items. Where are the gaming items?

Here's my five favorite thrift finds:

-TMNT Tournament Fighters for NES, cart only for $1.99 at a Goodwill in September (this is an extremely uncommon NES game and the last TMNT game released for the system).

-Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast for Gamecube, complete and non-Player's Choice for $4.99 at the same store and on the same day I got TMNT Tournament Fighters.

-A Game Boy Color for $4.99 early last year at another GW. Atomic Purple, battery cover intact, worked great (though the batteries that were included with it only lasted about an hour and a half, but no big deal). This was buried under several 2600 carts in a bin. This was quite a find since most of the local Goodwills usually charge $15-$30 for GBCs and keep them in the case up front.

-Burgertime, Double Dragon, and SMB 3 all for the NES for a buck each at a Deseret Industries in December 2006. My NES collection was still somewhat small around the time and all three games were on my want list, so that made my evening (that's right, I got those about an hour before the store closed).

-A PS2 first-party memory card for $3.99 at the Goodwill I got the GBC at, last summer. Another time, I bought a brand new PSX first-party card at the same Goodwill for $2.99.

Here's a couple tips: first, check for games everywhere. You never know when you'll find something buried with the toys or sports equipment, among other places. Also, don't give up - the place you can't find anything at for a week or two might have a stack of NES and Genesis games on your next visit.

The other day I bought a "Crazy Cat Lady" action figure for $2. It's awesome - if you've ever seen the Jesus action figures, it's made by the same company except she's got magnetic cats that cling to her.

[quote name='davyd']I really don't get how people can find these things at Goodwill. Granted I don't go very often but when I do the "electronics" section consists of 5 vhs's, a stack of old cassettes and a turn table.[/QUOTE]
:lol: Same for me. I've only gone a couple times, but last time my friend got a full suit for $15. Its actually really nice too. I would love to have a super cheap suit that I wouldn't care if it got dirty. Damn dry cleaning.

Goodwill's in Tampa / St. Pete have gone down in the last year or two since they started posting games on the shopgoodwill.com auction page. When I went to grad school in Tallahassee (where there is like a goodwill on every street corner) the Goodwills were always stocked and I got many games from them for older consoles (like Saturn!).

This thread makes me want to go to all the Salvation Army stores in my area tomorrow but I'm just going to wind up disappointed in the end. I'm just going to spend an entire day arms deep in Barbara Streisand 8-tracks and Christmas carol LPs only to come up with nothing. But who knows, I do remember seeing some Sega CD games years ago at one...

[quote name='MrDubbs']Nice deal, I wish my Goodwill would have stuff like that. I'd picked up Mario Sonic[/QUOTE]

Meanwhile my Salvation Army charges $45 for an used Wii Play that somebody used packing tape to seal the thing shut tight to prevent someone from stealing the stuff. Then they put it under a counter which then you have to BEG an employee to even let you look since they are afraid you might run off with it despite the fact that they are in front of you the whole time.

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']i hate this one kid whose mom works there
his mom saves him all the good stuff
i mean i saw GH2 bundle for xbox 360 ok? (this was befor GH3 came out)
i took it to the counter and the first thing the woman said was "HOW DID THIS GET OUT HERE?"
after that she called someone, told her what it was and told me $50
i didn't have enough and i regretfully left it there

two weeks later at a lan party that kid whose mom works their brought his GH2 to the party in a goodwill bag.....
and there was a reciet that said 0.00
i wanted to open up a can of fuck on the kid[/quote]

Nothing like having a dishonest employee saving all the 'good stuff' for their own relatives. I thought about applying for a job working the warehouse at the local Salvation Army, since I swear they must also 'hold' the better stuff in the back for either themselves or others.

I rarely find gaming stuff at my local SA stores(only Goodwill we have is about 30-40 miles away) and when I do it's some crap games or a system that's incomplete and looks like it went through a dust storm.

My best score ever was a complete Arkanoid controller at Salvation Army for $5. My best Goodwill scores are the Game Boy Player for $20 and several penny drop guides from Target at the standard paperback book rate (which fluctuates between 50 and 75 cents--I've scored Tekken 5, San Andreas, and MGS3: Subsistence guides this way)

I think those scores killed my luck forever at those places, though. Since then, I've seen absolutely nothing at any Goodwill, even ones I visit on trips. The other day, I spotted Riven for PC in the case, but I had to wait on a guy who was literally blocking the door to the case for over fifteen minutes while he pulled out each game in there, stack by stack, read the back of each box, looked at the discs/cartridges, etc. When I finally made it over to check Riven, it was $15 and was missing a disc.

If the tantalizing possibility of the big haul wasn't there with thrift stores, I'd skip them entirely. Nowadays, it's more like a

A few weeks ago (I don't think I've mentioned it though, so I'll mention it now) I found an SNES control deck (the one without super mario world) with two controllers and a powersupply (no video cables) in box for $4. Works and isn't yellowed.

Finding a :wii: Guitar Hero III bundle for $35 was the best though.

A month ago I found disc only copies of Diablo and Dark Seed for fifty cents a piece.

The local Goodwill has been hit or miss. The last couple of times I went I didn't find any games but last month everytime I went I always found at least one complete Genesis title or Playstation game.

As for the Salvation Army, our store has a "boutique" where they keep the good stuff. They usually only have NES carts but they are 10 dollars a piece but I did happen to stumble upon a Game Gear in the appliance section for a whopping $1.99. The only thing wrong with it was that it was missing the battery covers

I've found some pretty good deals over my goodwill trip in the last few months

Barbie Horse Adventures for Xbox - $4 (sold the game for $30)
Snes w/ 3 games (SMW, DKC, and F-zero) - $10 (only needed F-zero sold the rest online for $45
Genesis w/ 19 games (most complete) - $25, kept the 6 games I needed and sold the rest for $40
Genesis 1 w/ power base converter, 3 genesis games, 9 master systems games - $25, only needed the master system games which included phantasy star, fantasy zone (2 and the maze) and a few others but sold the genesis for $30 and the power base converter for $20

Basically at one of the goodwills they price every system package at $25 dollars no matter how many games/accessories are included and thats where I got the genesis deals at. That also makes for some bad deals too like bare ps1 systems for $25, n64's with only nba courtside for $25, genesis by itself for $25, etc. The other goodwill tries to price them according to age and items with it (that's where the snes came from), but that also can be good and bad since the person pricing can price one snes lot at $10 like the one I got and the next lot of basically the same items could be $30-$35

Went today and got...

Wii Play (complete, with Wiimote) - $19.99
Datel 64MB PS2 memory card - $4.99

Support your local Goodwill. :)

Other than old PC games that you would need Windows 98 to run, I never see ANY gaming stuff at my thrift store. The best haul I ever took was the "Firefly: Complete Series" boxset, brand new in its shrinkwrap, for only $8. Always wanted it and had never took the plunge since my local music/movie store sells the set used for $30.

[quote name='Pi573']... The other day, I spotted Riven for PC in the case, but I had to wait on a guy who was literally blocking the door to the case for over fifteen minutes while he pulled out each game in there, stack by stack, read the back of each box, looked at the discs/cartridges, etc. When I finally made it over to check Riven, it was $15 and was missing a disc. ...[/quote]

On the Riven note, we have one at the Goodwill I work at. I can check the price if you want. I only noticed it because it said "The sequel to Myst" and it's been there a while.

Anyhow, my deal was so freaking sweet today I couldn't believe it. Super Mario Galaxy . . .wait for it. . .wait for it. . .$9.99. Add my employee discount and I walked out for $7.50. Yes, $7.50 for SMG. Absolutely mint.

I also got two wii remotes in the case for $50 and Wii Play (with remote) for $22 (both on separate occasions). Needless to say, I've been checking out the video games much more often.

Goodwill
Megatouch XL 29.00 ,Works great
Crapload of Saturn games mint 2.00 each
Complete NES games 2.00

Salvation Army
Turbo Grafx 16 w/Av booster 1.00 (no cables)
Partially working Arcade Mortal Kombat, Capcom Bowling 5.00 total, manager just wanted to get rid of them(completely working now).

These are the big things that stand out, but I've bought many game related things over the years. You just have to be consistent in going, cause you never know what'll turn up. Overall I prefer GOODWILL.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Here's something that may help out my fellow CAGs to find stores they didn't even know existed. Store locators for Salvation Army AND Goodwill.

Salvation Army Store Locator: http://www.satruck.com/FindStore.aspx

Goodwill Store Locator: http://locator.goodwill.org/

I hope this helps some of you to find a store that maybe you didn't know about prior and find the score of the year at.[/quote]
The Salvation Army Store Locator isn't complete, it doesn't have the two stores that are closest to me listed.

It's best to try a few different zip codes in your area for the Goodwill Locator as it seems like it only lists the stores in your region. I happen to live in the middle of three or four regions.

Also try the thrift store locator at The Thrift Shopper to find thrift stores not affiliated with SA or Goodwill. Though the database there isn't completely up to date. Also it only searches withing 10-15 miles (I've thought about sending them an email asking to make it user definable, but never did... yet), so you may have to input different zips to get a more complete picture.

See, I know when I was going to an auto auction down in the south central part of PA, there were other stores not affiliated with SA or Goodwill called Volunteers Of America or some such. I never did get to go into any of them, since they seemed to close fairly early.

I wasn't sure how complete the locators would be, but I figured something was better than nothing. Although, I'm kind of shocked that certain areas may have 3-4 SA stores, but NO Goodwills. Our local area had maybe 2 Goodwill stores, which closed up 10+ years ago, but we're getting one back around here, albeit about 30-40 miles from where I'm at.

I may stop in there once in a while, when I'm down that way, but otherwise that's still too damned far to trek for a chance at a bargain.

Well where I live, there must be 5 or 6 Salvation Armies that aren't too far away, but I have no Goodwills at all in my state. I think there used to be a few, but that was before I started thrift shopping.

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']i hate this one kid whose mom works there
his mom saves him all the good stuff...[/quote]

FYI, that isn't allowed pretty much universally at any Goodwill's. Next time ask to talk to a manager and about their policy about "holding" items for employees. If they take it off the retali floor you can always ask them when they might be putting it back out. But they shouldn't do that in the first place.

If my Goodwill area-locations didn't smell like a underground subway tunnel replete with urine and that stench of homelessness, and have a variety of clothes besides heavily used and soiled clothes and undergarments, I'd be posting something useful in this thread. But, I am not.

[quote name='LuisRM']FYI, that isn't allowed pretty much universally at any Goodwill's. Next time ask to talk to a manager and about their policy about "holding" items for employees. If they take it off the retali floor you can always ask them when they might be putting it back out. But they shouldn't do that in the first place.[/quote] they are all in on it

Picked up three banged up Wii Play sets for $29.99 each. Games were sealed and the remotes still wrapped with controller condom. Needed one more remote to have four. Can flip the other two remotes and games and come out a little ahead maybe.

[quote name='willc23']Picked up three banged up Wii Play sets for $29.99 each. Games were sealed and the remotes still wrapped with controller condom. Needed one more remote to have four. Can flip the other two remotes and games and come out a little ahead maybe.[/quote]

good find. My GW had a Wii Play game with remote a few months back but they wanted $40 for it I waited a while and it stayed there I waited till they had a 50% off sale and went in it was there just like a day or two ago and it was gone.

$40 is a bit high, but I've noticed that if you see something you like (and are willing to pay for it), get it, because stuff can go fast! Don't get me wrong. Lots of stuff sit and rot for some time. But in most cases stock is totally refreshed after one month.

On a side note, my Goodwill has been going Nintendo wii crazy. They have another wii remote on silent auction. It's at $10. I'll bid $20 for it, but no more. They also have GH2 for 360 for bid. $35 just for the extra controller will be my max bid.

[quote name='LuisRM']$40 is a bit high, but I've noticed that if you see something you like (and are willing to pay for it), get it, because stuff can go fast! Don't get me wrong. Lots of stuff sit and rot for some time. But in most cases stock is totally refreshed after one month.

On a side note, my Goodwill has been going Nintendo wii crazy. They have another wii remote on silent auction. It's at $10. I'll bid $20 for it, but no more. They also have GH2 for 360 for bid. $35 just for the extra controller will be my max bid.[/quote]

I'm glad my Goodwills don't have silent auctions.

[quote name='LuisRM']FYI, that isn't allowed pretty much universally at any Goodwill's. Next time ask to talk to a manager and about their policy about "holding" items for employees. If they take it off the retali floor you can always ask them when they might be putting it back out. But they shouldn't do that in the first place.[/QUOTE]

In all likelyhood the manager will just stand there, smile, nod a few times with you, then say "we'll look into this" and then walk away after patting you on the back. However nothing will be said or done beyond this. Why? Because its a rare that management ever follows whatever written policy there is on employees holding merchandise. Trust me. From my days at both the Salvation Army and Goodwill they rarely follows the written policies on said rules. Its treated more as an "suggestion" rather than as policy.

But good luck with that crusade of yours. Let us know how close to verbatium that talk goes to how I described it.

[quote name='Demolition Man']...

But good luck with that crusade of yours. Let us know how close to verbatium that talk goes to how I described it.[/quote]

I don't work at a Goodwill store, I work for the corporate headquarters and we happen to have a Goodwill store connected to it. So since I know the managers by name, I'd like to think if I saw someone holding an item/breaking rules my word would be good and things would get done. That being said, I'm sure many people get the exact treatment you describe at many stores. One of my relatives works at Target and the whole "holding" items goes on there as well. Even with Wii's. Sometimes you get an honest person working retail and they'll do the right thing. Agreed though, that it's probably few and far between.

stalker shadow of chernobyl brand new: 3.99
Jabba's sail barge star wars lego set (only missing figurines as far as i know...still need to sort thru it): 10.00!

[quote name='LuisRM']I don't work at a Goodwill store, I work for the corporate headquarters and we happen to have a Goodwill store connected to it. So since I know the managers by name, I'd like to think if I saw someone holding an item/breaking rules my word would be good and things would get done. That being said, I'm sure many people get the exact treatment you describe at many stores. One of my relatives works at Target and the whole "holding" items goes on there as well. Even with Wii's. Sometimes you get an honest person working retail and they'll do the right thing. Agreed though, that it's probably few and far between.[/quote]

Difference is target will put items on hold for everyone not just employees where as at goodwill its being put on hold just for employees. If you see them putting wiis on hold at target they really really aren't supposed to but it depends on the store on how well they enforce that but its not supposed to hold high dollar/low supply items like the wii.

I found Shaq-Fu at the Thrift Store for a buck. The only thing its missing is the manual. At another thrift store they had a box full of NES carts but they wanted 20 dollars each.

[quote name='GoAztecs']I found Shaq-Fu at the Thrift Store for a buck. The only thing its missing is the manual. At another thrift store they had a box full of NES carts but they wanted 20 dollars each.[/QUOTE]

It's funny to read about way over priced NES games $20? Hardy sounds thrifty to me at all :D Then again I've seen some way over priced stuff at thrift stores, an old computer with monitor & extras for about 300 that would be nearly impossible to get rid of for $30ish around here at the flea, an auction, yardsales or any other form of selling stuff locally.

It's hard for me to imagine a store anywhere in the US actually being able to sell NES commons for more then 5ish as I'm sure that more serious gamers would know better and I don't see how somebody that doesn't know any better would be interested enough to pay say $10 or more per a NES game!

bread's done
Back