Tales from Good Will / Salvation Army 2008

[quote name='JJSP']The key is to find a Goodwill with a "Computer Works" attached. The only two I know of in OC are Santa Ana (which is where 95% of the shopgoodwill.com items come from) and in Fullerton. Most of the good things I've found have been Target returns (usually open box) since Target salvages a lot of their electronics to Goodwill.

The Santa Ana location almost always has game related items. I've seen everything from Wiimotes (24.99) and nunchuks (9.99) to complete SNES and N64 games ($5-8). They're particularly great for classic controllers (N64, PS1, and DC).

Best thing about Goodwill is that almost all of the profits go to a great cause (and since they're a non-profit, no sales tax!). :)[/QUOTE]

Wow, I need to stop by there some day. Which Santa Ana Goodwill is it? I believe there a few

The Goodwill stores in my area are Badwill. $60 for a PS2??? $70 for a GameCube??? (both used)

But at least I recently hit my $200 total on my Goodwill Club card so I got the $10 credit slip.

Best find: Super CD card for the turbo grafx CD. Bought it for 50 cents and sold it that day on an e-bay for $100.00

Worst Mistake: few months ago I found two factory sealed copies of Super Mario RPG for the SNES ($20 each) and did not buy (still kicking myself in the a$$ for not).

[quote name='evilwrath666']Wow, I need to stop by there some day. Which Santa Ana Goodwill is it? I believe there a few[/QUOTE]
It's the location on Fairview (412 N Fairview) in Santa Ana.

Saw a handful of next-gen games today marked $24.99. List included Super Mario Galaxy, Meet The Robinsons 360, Amped 3 360, and Virtua Tennis PS3. Still had a pair of Wiimotes for $20 each.

[quote name='davyd']I really don't get how people can find these things at Goodwill. Granted I don't go very often but when I do the "electronics" section consists of 5 vhs's, a stack of old cassettes and a turn table.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like my Goodwill.

[quote name='davyd']I really don't get how people can find these things at Goodwill. Granted I don't go very often but when I do the "electronics" section consists of 5 vhs's, a stack of old cassettes and a turn table.[/QUOTE]

Word.

[quote name='brianmoy']The Goodwill stores in my area are Badwill. $60 for a PS2??? $70 for a GameCube??? (both used)

But at least I recently hit my $200 total on my Goodwill Club card so I got the $10 credit slip.[/quote]

That's the second time I've heard someone call it Badwill. :lol: Good stuff. Some guy was complaining about something and said "This isn't Goodwill, it's Badwill!"

Haven't gotten anything huge yet but only have gone twice.

Games:
Xmen - Complete - Genesis
Jurrassic Park - Cart / Box - Genesis
Mario / Duck Hunt - Cart / Manual - NES

Comic:
All New Iron Man - Issue 179 - 1983 - Only a small .. yet still disapointing red marker line on the N in man, other than that it's in real good shape.

Spent about 2$ on each item if that.

[quote name='Squarehard']ive never be caught dead in a salvation or good will store, but apparently ive been missing out @_@[/quote]

You sound like a few friends of mine, who swore up and down they'd never go into a Salvation Army Or Goodwill, yet with them being gamers and wanting classic systems, I proved to them that the stores were worthwhile.

Of course, this was before seemingly all Goodwill/Salvation Army stores started treating any gaming related stuff like gold and platinum and wanting outrageous prices for even incomplete systems.

Lately, anytime I find anything gaming related, it's priced in the $30-40 range for systems, which is ALOT of money to waste on the crapshoot that used systems are. As for games, they typically want $3-5 PER game and the games look like ass, as if they came from a Gamestop store.

For $3, I'll go to a Gamestop and get the games, so at least I have the 7 day return period if the crap doesn't work.

[quote name='GoAztecs']I found Shaq-Fu at the Thrift Store for a buck. The only thing its missing is the manual. At another thrift store they had a box full of NES carts but they wanted 20 dollars each.[/quote] My goodwill is just like that but instead of NES carts it's Sega Gamegear games for $20.

Found THPG (360) and Just Cause for $5 each at Goodwill today, along with Brain Age DS for the same price.

They had a pretty awesome Dreamcast bundle with a sealed Web Browser disc, Resident Evil 2, Dead Or Alive 2, Shenmue, NFL2K, three more games that escape me now, two controllers, and a light gun. The price was a little high for my tastes ($99), but everything was in great shape.

So I was going to surprise my girlfriend at 5:30 (picking her up from work, she uses public transportation). I planned a path that took me through 12 Good Wills/Salvation Army.

From my trip, I have learned that there are 3 Good Wills I would love to return to visit...HUGE! freaken buildings. And that 2 places have uh...closed down and I will never go to any of these Salvation Army's because nothing is there except furniture, clothes, and outdated computers...

So, from the 36 mile drive around and the 4 hours of time spent (I was bored and would have wasted 4 hours anyway), I got/learned the following:
- Cars DS (Complete)
- Obscure book shop in the middle of somewhere (want to go back, I have a fasination for weird looking bookstores)
- Hot Dog from Costco near by
- Hit on by a lady in her 30's
- A bruise on my leg cause a kid pushed a plastic car (the big ones for toddlers to play on ) into my leg
- And, never following the directions on google maps word for word again.

[quote name='pcktlnt']...
- Hit on by a lady in her 30's...[/quote]
And this is a bad thing?

Forgot about the part about the GF. :lol:

So was it worth it all? Seems like you learned a lot rather than scored many deals.

[quote name='LuisRM']And this is a bad thing?

Forgot about the part about the GF. :lol:

So was it worth it all? Seems like you learned a lot rather than scored many deals.[/quote]

It was just really weird...who the hell comes out of nowhere and says "You got some strong hands" *holds hands* Maybe if it was actual flirting (conversing) it wouldn't be so weird.

I'll use Google maps for general directions to a place, but man, I'm glad I have AAA city maps in my car, else I would have just gone to the places I've been before, Target, TRU, Sears, etc. and forget the trip altogether.

I really was hoping for the pickup that was similar to December, picked up a few N64, SNES, Dreamcast, and PS games. Made triple my money back on ebay. That helped pay for presents and credit card bills. ^__^

Bah! I went to my nearest Goodwill (20 minutes away) and found crap! Lots of cassette tapes and a few unpriced NES carts and PS1 games but they looked terrible. Saw a copy of Stalker marked for $15.00. The people there were a strange mix. A few looked like they were down and out sorts who really needed stuff from Goodwill and the rest looked like people deciding if they could turn a profit on Ebay. Felt strange being there......

All I ever see at my Goodwill stores are old Genesis sports games and PS1 racing games. I once got Robotrek for SNES for $4 but that was the only score I've ever had there.

A few weeks ago I picked up an open (but seemingly brand-new) copy of Heroes of Might and Magic V: Tribes of the East for $6 (Which I promptly put up on Goozex). I have subsequently found The Sims: Complete Collection for $4, King's Quest V (Wrapped) for $12 and most recently/bizarrely, two shrink-wrapped copies of Stranglehold (PC) for $6 each. All hail the gaming gods!

The price starts getting a lot higher within the last few minutes. I have experience with that, although sometimes you actually can get deals there.

A friend of mine got an Xbox with a Broken AV port for 5 bucks at Goodwill, my other friend promptly fixed and it works like a charm now. That was one hell of a good deal.

I managed to pick up Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya for game gear for $2.50. They have half off every other Sat.

Goodwill scores:
Super Mario All-stars SNES cart for $5
Genesis PLug N PLay $4 (the one with sonic, golden axe etc.)
super metroid SNES $5
Super Mario world SNES $5

they had some guitar hero III bundles, 1 xbox 360 and 1 wii each for $75 i passed on that.

[quote name='Trikip']The price starts getting a lot higher within the last few minutes. I have experience with that, although sometimes you actually can get deals there.[/quote]

That happened with me, with my auction I won, which contained about 5-6 PS2 games with God Of War II being one of them and about 10-12 PC games. I was the high bidder for the longest time, then the day the auction ends, I'm outbid by $2 and have to keep rebidding till I finally find an amount that someone didn't put in as a proxy bid.

I ended up paying $34 shipped for it all, still a good deal imo for all I got, but definitely NOT as cheap as I thought I was going to get it for.

Picked up the following at goodwill:
Pocket Soduku Game $2(Retails for $15, and it was a brand new)
Resident Evil 2 PS1 $4(Non GH, 2 Disc set in mint condition)

Got Wii Play (for the extra controller) at Goodwill Silent Auction today for $26 total. I'll probably ebay the wii play for $8-10. Not too bad a take.

They put out two GH2 360 packs on the floor. They were marked $69.99, but one had an extra sticker on it for $14.99. An employee noticed it right away and took it off. Now THAT would have been a deal.

Local Thrift store had three Saturn games today.

Picked up -
Astal (complete? - 1 disk)
Enemy Zero (complete? - 4 disks)
$3.25 TTL

Did I do good?

Can not remember the third game, disk was pretty scratched up (Blockbuster rental) with no manual...

I got:

Several copies of Tony Hawk's Proving Ground: Limited Edition, New - 8.00 each
A few copies of NHL 2K7, New - 5.00 each
Wii Classic Controller - 10.00
Sims 2: Deluxe Edition PC - 10.00
GRAW 3 PC, New - 7.00

[quote name='donut']Local Thrift store had three Saturn games today.

Picked up -
Astal (complete? - 1 disk)
Enemy Zero (complete? - 4 disks)
$3.25 TTL

Did I do good?
[/quote]
Did you do well?

My two best Goodwill hauls were a complete SNES with two controllers and seven games for $15, and a Genesis Model 3 with five (yes, five, although I don't know why) controllers and 13 games for $20.

Not the greatest deals in the world, but if some people are seeing NES games for $20, then I think I did pretty well. I was so happy when this Goodwill finally started putting out NES games at 99 cents.

One of my Best fines in 2008 is Marvel vs Capcom 2 for the Xbox at a little thrift shop for $10. My heart was racing when I was flipping threw the Xbox games & saw that..But it was scratched & couldn't play in my Xbox, Going to Gamecrazy on Friday to get it buffed

Oh man, I think i will go to my local Salvation Army and see what they got. If they have anything.

Update: As per usual, I find jack squat in my town. Back to plan B of pawn shops, online, and Kmart.

lol maguszxz, yea, it's a pain to find nothing after reading other CAG finds. I posted a page or two back about my 35 mile trip hitting 12 Goodwill/Salvation Armies to end up with a Cars DS (didn't want to go home empty handed...bad decision :() and being hit on by an older lady.

[quote name='pcktlnt']lol maguszxz, yea, it's a pain to find nothing after reading other CAG finds. I posted a page or two back about my 35 mile trip hitting 12 Goodwill/Salvation Armies to end up with a Cars DS (didn't want to go home empty handed...bad decision :() and being hit on by an older lady.[/quote] 35 mile trip... 12 thrift stores... Lucky dog. I don't think I could hit 12 thrift stores in one day, let alone 35 miles, where I live (maybe if I hit downtown Pittsburgh).

Last week I picked up at a Salvation Army

Super Mario World - 1.50
Wolfchild (SNES) - 1.50

They also had Clue, Aladdin and Mario Paint (cart only) all SNES for the same price that I passed on.

[quote name='mguiddy']35 mile trip... 12 thrift stores... Lucky dog. I don't think I could hit 12 thrift stores in one day, let alone 35 miles, where I live (maybe if I hit downtown Pittsburgh).[/quote]

I had to pick up my girlfriend from work and I was free that day, so I just planned the drive. It's not too bad, waste of four hours though, but fun nonetheless.

Picked up a video from goodwill today for a buck: Fuse Video Game Magazine Vol. 1. Issue 1. Havent watched it yet, but it is supposed to have shots of Zelda: OoT that are gonna make me a believer!

Sega Saturn no cords - $9.99
Saturn 3d controller with extension cord - $1.99
Saturn controller - $1.99
Omikron: The Nomad Soul (Dreamcast) - $2.99
Outrun (Game Gear) - $2.99
Sonic 2 (Game Gear) - $2.99
Bust A Move (Game Gear) - $2.99
X-Men: Mojo World (Game Gear) - $2.99

[quote name='Cmosfm']I got:

Several copies of Tony Hawk's Proving Ground: Limited Edition, New - 8.00 each
[/QUOTE]

Which system? If 369 could you sell me one of them?

I picked up two games over the weekend

Street Fighter 2 (Sega Genesis) Box and game no manual $4

Stone Protectors (SNES) game only $3

Picked up a 3-month starter pack (old xbox) for $5.60. Sealed with headset, etc. Not bad for a 3 month extension to my subscription. Headset will probably just go back to Goodwill.

[quote name='LuisRM']Picked up a 3-month starter pack (old xbox) for $5.60. Sealed with headset, etc. Not bad for a 3 month extension to my subscription. Headset will probably just go back to Goodwill.[/quote]

gs will buy the headset for 1$, 3 if you are lucky

[quote name='monkeydeew']gs will buy the headset for 1$, 3 if you are lucky[/quote]

Not a bad idea next time I'm in there. THanks! :D

I need to get back to mine...I grabbed Vandal Hearts ($4.99) and some other nice goodies in 2007.

That's my contribution, I'm mainly posting to tag this thread for later finds.

But nothing can touch the $2.89 each Marvel Vs Capcom 2 and Powerstone 2 complete DC games I found at the local thrift that generally otherwise never has games beyond a handful of $5 Genesis sports games.

bread's done
Back