Black Sigil: Blade of the Exile (Out Now!)

cletus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Game is finally out! Everyone go buy it while supplies last. Initial impressions and discussions starts at post #253 (page 13)

Website up for this game here. There are lots more pics on the site.

New trailer which shows top DS screen http://youtube.com/watch?v=i_S6hyYqA6w
Old trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PioZ3ievw-c

This is a indie game made by a few guys in Canada that I've been following for the last half a year. I didn't want to start a thread until I was sure they would actually release something. Now it looks like they have a publisher and a release date. I was almost ready to give up on this game too.

It looks like one of those old 16-bit RPGs I grew up playing. You can clearly see the... homage... if you want to call it. It is like a combination of Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 3 with a bit of Secret of Mana throwin in. I am more excited about this game then anything else coming out for the DS this year. It was originally intended for the GBA and later switched to the DS. That may be why it is taking so much longer then initially thought.

Anyone else here looking forward to this? I'm still a little skeptical since I haven't heard any info beyond that list of upcoming Nintendo games. Their site hasn't been updated in a while but there is a announcement in the forum. I guess it's just because I've been waiting so long for this to come out.

Graffiti Entertainment. Here's their official site. http://www.studioarchcraft.com/project.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Riyonuk']Oh, judging by the topic title, I thought it was a compilation. This game looks cool actually :)[/quote]

+1 for disappointment.

seriously though, i'll probably pick this up... looks fun

Wow, 16 bit RPG glory can be ours once more. Thanks for the thread OP! I never played Chrono Trigger (I know, shut up) but I loved FF4, FF6, and Secret of Mana.

Dear Project Exile:

Welcome to my backlog. I have far too many games waiting to be played to buy any more new ones, but for you, I will make an exception because you look fucking amazing.

I was disappointed as hell when I found out this wasn't a compilation, but the game does look really good, so... I'm a bit less disappointed.

I can see where everyone got the wrong idea thinking this was a compilation, but I can see a little bit from each of those games, especially Chrono Trigger.

Ok I changed the title a bit. Hope that's less confusing.

Anyways I plan on buying this game on release day for full price (March 1). I don't even remember the last time I paid full price for a game.

I've also been following this game and I'm glad that they decided to port it to the DS since it's pretty much over for the GBA. I think the reason that people keep comparing this game to FF3 and CT is because aside from the battle system, the font they use is almost exactly the same.

If Square did games inspired by their previous hits rather than remakes and sequels to them like these guys are (to be fair, they don't have a choice) than I think Square would be in a much better place.

[quote name='magiic']AND to top all of that off it's made by some Canadians :)[/quote]

You're lucky the video looks awesome, because having ''Canadians'' in the title almost made me not click it. :[

That looks fantastic!

I WISH it controlled like Secret of Mana, but the gameplay looks fast and fun regardless.

Any idea if/how it will make use of the DS's functions?

It looks like they stole pretty liberally from Square's 16 bit character art. Like directly took the sprites and changed their colors/clothes, but kept the animations and poses. Not to mention most of the environments look exactly like FF3 and Chrono Trigger. Not complaining, cause I loved those games.. Just saying these guys could probably have been a bit more original.

Is there any other info about this game out there besides what the video and official website have to say? Very interested in the game now and would like to know what the battle system is like. Looks like the ATB system but the characters actually move around on the field (though not as much as you could in Mana)...

well first off. I'm not seeing any sort of second screen love. Aside from that I'm looking forward to it. Hope I can get to buy it. I'm enjoying FFIII and had a lotta fun with Magical Starsign not so much with CoMana.

[quote name='Wolfkin']well first off. I'm not seeing any sort of second screen love. Aside from that I'm looking forward to it. Hope I can get to buy it. I'm enjoying FFIII and had a lotta fun with Magical Starsign not so much with CoMana.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure the project started as a GBA title.

Just saw this. Wow, looks like CT/FF3 indeed mixed together. I will purchase this day one if it gets good reviews.

Damn, that looks pretty cool. But so many RPGs for the DS looked great but when they actually came out... they turned out to be pretty lame.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Looks very generic, and not something that requires the DS hardware. More like a GBA game.[/quote]i agree with the first clause, but disagree with the rest. GBA definately couldn't do those graphics.

[quote name='jer7583']It looks like they stole pretty liberally from Square's 16 bit character art. Like directly took the sprites and changed their colors/clothes, but kept the animations and poses. Not to mention most of the environments look exactly like FF3 and Chrono Trigger. Not complaining, cause I loved those games.. Just saying these guys could probably have been a bit more original.[/QUOTE]

If it were a rom hack that's one thing, i doubt square would care. But these guys are trying to commercially release a game with someone else's work? I don't see that happening.

When they get their C&D i hope they just release the rom on the net, story seems interesting.

[quote name='laaj']Thanks got in my pre-order but is going to take 3-5 weeks. I have a feeling this could be vaporware.[/quote]

I think one of my local mom and pops bm store have it instock but yeah its out already.

Wait, what? I thought Project Exile wasn't even the final name of the game. They haven't even supplied cover art. It isn't even on their website.

Looks charmingly retro surprisingly.

Still not sure about it though, never heard of the company...but maybe they're one of them up and comings...

Looks like they've changed the name to Black Sigil: Legend of the Exile and the release date has been pushed back. I'll update the OP once I find out more.

Canadians and DS games?

*yells in a northerly direction* HEY SIRTECH, HOW ABOUT JAGGED ALLIANCE ON THE FREAKIN' DS?!!?

Now that that's out of my system, this looks neat.

[quote name='cletus']Looks like they've changed the name to Black Sigil: Legend of the Exile and the release date has been pushed back. I'll update the OP once I find out more.[/quote]

Really? Than why come amazon and hubbagames have it instock? No wonder there isn't a picture yet.

[quote name='blueweltall']Really? Than why come amazon and hubbagames have it instock? No wonder there isn't a picture yet.[/quote]You have to be kind of careful reading Amazon product pages. A lot of times they're on Amazon's site but offered by a 3rd party vendor (in this case "Hubbagames") which are not as accurate as Amazon at keeping up to date with inventory and availability.

[quote name='banpeikun']You have to be kind of careful reading Amazon product pages. A lot of times they're on Amazon's site but offered by a 3rd party vendor (in this case "Hubbagames") which are not as accurate as Amazon at keeping up to date with inventory and availability.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that happens from time to time. A seller will list an item as a preorder with an availability date and on that day, it just shows up as available if the seller hasn't updated their listing.

bread's done
Back