Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Metagame, Friendcodes, Battling & Trading!

SL4IN

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Japanese Updates

The latest issue of CoroCoro Comic has turned out to be a gold mine of Nintendo rumors, as a scan of the magazine has revealed another very believable rumor about a big Nintendo franchise. This time they're strongly implying that a new Pokémon game will come out this year, and that it'll probably be the third game in the Diamond and Pearl series.

Since, as the chart here indicates, every pair of Pokémon games are followed by one of these 'remakes' (except for FireRed and LeafGreen, which are themselves remakes), we find this rumor completely plausible. And Pokémon fans, who have been conditioned into a collecting mentality, will buy the game for a third time.
From DSfanboy.com

Linky

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok news. Even though I'd rather Nintendo just remake gold/silver, I still haven't bought pearl/diamond yet, so I might pick this up, if the rumor is true.

Of course there will be a third pokemon, there always is, Red and Blue-Yellow, Gold and Silver-Crystal, Ruby and Sapphire-Emerald, Diamond and Pearl-Zirconia?

Its funny how, ever since Reggie said "we're gonna make a new game based on a Nintendo franchise and announce it at E3! You're gonna flip shit!" every single nintendo franchise has been rumored to sequel by the end of the year. If only they could all be true...

If its just the "third" installment of D&P count me out. I have pearl and cant seem to find myself to want to go any further. Im halfway through and feel no incentive to finish. It feels like it wants you to like it so bad, but its just a rehash of all the old ones... Fashion Show? No thank you.

[quote name='eliter1']Of course there will be a third pokemon, there always is, Red and Blue-Yellow, Gold and Silver-Crystal, Ruby and Sapphire-Emerald, Diamond and Pearl-Zirconia?[/quote]

The point isn't that there is going to be a third version, but the fact that the third version is coming so soon.

It usually takes about 2 years after the initial versions are out before we seen the third one. Diamond and Pearl will barely be turning a year old next tuesday.

[quote name='SL4IN']The point isn't that there is going to be a third version, but the fact that the third version is coming so soon.

It usually takes about 2 years after the initial versions are out before we seen the third one. Diamond and Pearl will barely be turning a year old next tuesday.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. We know that there will be a third pokemon game for the diamond/pearl set , but it seems too soon. I'm leaning more towards a remake of gold/silver/crystal as well with the third diamond/pearl game coming out next year. The only other possibilty is a new spinoff series for pokemon.

Edit: After following the link , and stupidly realizing that there basing it off of release dates in japan , then it does seem more plausible that it would be the third diamond/pearl game. Given that we wouldn't see it over here till next year at the latest anyway if that's the case makes it fit our release schdule of the games as well. I wouldn't be surprised though to see a Gold/Silver remake done after that though.

[quote name='SL4IN']The point isn't that there is going to be a third version, but the fact that the third version is coming so soon.

It usually takes about 2 years after the initial versions are out before we seen the third one. Diamond and Pearl will barely be turning a year old next tuesday.[/QUOTE]

shocking its only been a year

[quote name='StarKnightX']Agreed. We know that there will be a third pokemon game for the diamond/pearl set , but it seems too soon. I'm leaning more towards a remake of gold/silver/crystal as well with the third diamond/pearl game coming out next year. The only other possibilty is a new spinoff series for pokemon.

Edit: After following the link , and stupidly realizing that there basing it off of release dates in japan , then it does seem more plausible that it would be the third diamond/pearl game. Given that we wouldn't see it over here till next year at the latest anyway if that's the case makes it fit our release schdule of the games as well. I wouldn't be surprised though to see a Gold/Silver remake done after that though.[/quote]

I can only imagine nintendo remaking Gold/Silver to rerelease on the ds. The trend with the pokemon games seems to be two sets of games per handheld, and it would only be pure bliss if they where to rerelease Gold/Silver on ds with the Diamond/Pearl visuals.

And say that the Diamond/Pearl third version comes out in japan in say August, I think we could see it here in the states in early '09 since localization time seems to be decreasing as of late.

Looking at that chart, I'd interpret that as them just guessing that something would be out this year, since the 3rd ones have come out 2 years after the first two. Doesn't seem like any kind of rumor at all, but of course I have no idea if there is any text to go along with it.

[quote name='SL4IN']I can only imagine nintendo remaking Gold/Silver to rerelease on the ds. The trend with the pokemon games seems to be two sets of games per handheld, and it would only be pure bliss if they where to rerelease Gold/Silver on ds with the Diamond/Pearl visuals.

And say that the Diamond/Pearl third version comes out in japan in say August, I think we could see it here in the states in early '09 since localization time seems to be decreasing as of late.[/QUOTE]

Both your statements sound about right. The original series of GB and GBC saw 2 sets of Red/Blue/Yellow and Gold/Silver. The GBA saw 2 sets of pokemon games in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and Fire Red/Leaf Green. Seeing the DS get Diamond/Pearl/? and Remake Gold/Remake Silver would fit the model.

The new pokemon game coming out over here in early 09 sounds about right as well as most of the new main pokemon games have been releasing out over here usually around april/may if I'm not mistaken.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Both your statements sound about right. The original series of GB and GBC saw 2 sets of Red/Blue/Yellow and Gold/Silver. The GBA saw 2 sets of pokemon games in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and Fire Red/Leaf Green. Seeing the DS get Diamond/Pearl/? and Remake Gold/Remake Silver would fit the model.

The new pokemon game coming out over here in early 09 sounds about right as well as most of the new main pokemon games have been releasing out over here usually around april/may if I'm not mistaken.[/quote]

Exactly. I think Nintendo's plan this year with pokemon is to get Pokemon Ranger 2 out here in the states by I'd say November, then have pokemon [instert color] ready to ship by Q1 2009.

these handheld pokemon games are cool and all but its way past time for them to make a competent 3d pokemn game. where you can catch pokemon in a fully realized world and have battles that are more than the basic turn based rpg fare. something liek that would go a long way to show others that theyre not just about lame remakes but they will keep doing it because they know nintendo fanboys will eat up anything they crap out.

we should have a competition to guess the name. I'm going with either opal or jade ( although that may mae further confusion over those pirated 'diamond' and 'jade' GBA games )

[quote name='lokizz']these handheld pokemon games are cool and all but its way past time for them to make a competent 3d pokemn game. where you can catch pokemon in a fully realized world and have battles that are more than the basic turn based rpg fare. something liek that would go a long way to show others that theyre not just about lame remakes but they will keep doing it because they know nintendo fanboys will eat up anything they crap out.[/quote]

Nice contribution to the thread.

Remakes? The only remakes of the pokemon RPG games where Red/Blue to Fire Red and Leaf Green. The third version of the RPG's usually involves a slightly different storyline with a bigger variety of pokemon than it's two previous versions and usually has ALOT of extra content and gameplay tweaks added to it. Yes, a full 3D pokemon RPG adventure would be nice, but the handheld games are fantastic themselves and a full 3D remakes isn't necessary, not everything that goes 3D translates well to begin with.

Yes, the battles are basic turnbased, but what turnbased RPG isn't? The strategy of the game goes much deeper than the simple attack and wait mechanics. And, the nintendo fanboys comment wasn't really needed :D

Pokemon has as much depth if not more than most Final Fantasies. Its not as basic as you think. I personally can't stand grinding but I find tons of other things to enjoy from the series.

Its understandable that everyone is underwhelmed but I for one can't wait. The third game usually comes out 2 years after, so it'll still be awhile.

It'd great if you could go to Johto in this one. No remake necessary.

Gold was great, I'd love to see it remade. Or an all-encompassing Pokemon game that has you visit all of the countries.

I never buy the 3rd game of a Pokemon set, since it just seems like a rehash with nothing really enticing.

Not to be off-topic, but Darkrai is being given away at Toys R Us on May 31 and June 1 for Diamond & Pearl.

[quote name='KingBroly']Not to be off-topic, but Darkrai is being given away at Toys R Us on May 31 and June 1 for Diamond & Pearl.[/quote]

Even better news!

Darkrai? good news for me I wonder if it'll be the item to get to darkrai or just darkrai either way that's good news.

Third installment would be interesting hopefully it's good.

[quote name='SeanNOLA']Its funny how, ever since Reggie said "we're gonna make a new game based on a Nintendo franchise and announce it at E3! You're gonna flip shit!" every single nintendo franchise has been rumored to sequel by the end of the year. If only they could all be true...[/quote]

Reggie didn't say it was going to be a game based on an already existing franchise, he just said that people were going to be excited about it. I watched the GTTV interview.

Ok, so what's different about Emerald compared to Ruby/Sapphire? Same with Crystal, what's different about it compared to Crystal/Gold..?

[quote name='lilboo']Ok, so what's different about Emerald compared to Ruby/Sapphire? Same with Crystal, what's different about it compared to Crystal/Gold..?[/quote]

The difference between Emerald and Crystal from Ruby/Sapphire and Gold/Silver was mainly in the pokemon that appeared. Emerald and Crystal both had the most pokemon readily available out of the box compared to the it's two predecessors, plus is had exclusives that only appeared in one version.

Besides the monsters, the offered other changes as well. For the first time, the player could choose between being a male or female, some trainers positions on the map where altered, when trainers called you on the phone, they now had distinct personalities, two subplots where added involving the legendary dog suicine and the unkowns, animated battle sprites where shown for the first time, the battle tower was introduced, you could obtain both lugia and ho-oh now, the events to get the 8th badge changed slightly and the player now received two eggs during the metagame, with the new egg hatching to be any of the new baby pokemon that had been introduced with gold/silver and it had a 50% of being shiny.

Emerald did the exact same for the available pokemon as crystal, but it's metagame changes where different. Now after beating the elite four and garnering the national dex, you could go back and fight gym leaders at their respective gym with stronger pokemon and changed lineups, after you completed the games starting pokedex, birch gave you one of the starters from gold/silver, 2-on-2 battles increased, you where able to catch both kyogre and groudon, a new area called altering cave was put into the game, and finally the battle frontier was a big introduction to the after game.

This CAN'T be a third game in the sense of a third iteration of Pokemon, because Diamond/Pearl is already Pokemon FOUR. The next one would be five. So yeah, just another spin of the same game.

[quote name='lokizz']these handheld pokemon games are cool and all but its way past time for them to make a competent 3d pokemn game. where you can catch pokemon in a fully realized world and have battles that are more than the basic turn based rpg fare. something liek that would go a long way to show others that theyre not just about lame remakes but they will keep doing it because they know nintendo fanboys will eat up anything they crap out.[/QUOTE]

That would be a completely different game then. Might be good, but it wouldn't replace the Pokemon games as they exist now. It would be some kind of spin off (and I'm not sure what being 3D has anothing to do with anything).

Another hint at this new pokemon game is, on the last page of a recent nintendo power there is a moon, with "a hint", if you look at it, it seems to be a pokeball...

[quote name='Trenchalicious']I'd rather have a Pokemon adventure game on the Wii, but they seem to rather go in a different direction for some reason, so whatever.[/quote]
Isn't this what they've been doing with most of their pokemon games since Red and Blue? Making other similar games to accompany the first two.

BTW, I never had experience with a pokemon adventure game, what are those like?

[quote name='Trenchalicious']I'd rather have a Pokemon adventure game on the Wii, but they seem to rather go in a different direction for some reason, so whatever.[/QUOTE]

It could happen one of these days - the two GameCube titles are sort of close to full blown Pokémon titles, if you ignore the fact that you can't actually catch anything.

[quote name='Quintessence']I am surprised that is has not been officially announced yet.[/QUOTE]

Given that Nintendo hasn't announced...well, anything after Wii Fit, I don't see why Pokémon's so special it would warrant an early announcement.

pearl just shipped to me from Goozex...but I love Platinum its my favorite color and this would kill the pearl vs diamond fuss Im having...should I wait?

[quote name='SuxoR']pearl just shipped to me from Goozex...but I love Platinum its my favorite color and this would kill the pearl vs diamond fuss Im having...should I wait?[/quote]

It's probably not going to be released in NA until around April 09, so I wouldn't wait.

- By picking up Regigigas from the 11th Pokemon movie and transferring it to Pokemon Platinum, Regice, Regirock and Registeel will all be catchable in-game.

Am I behind here? Are they giving away Regigigas?

I assume it means Japan.

I just want a Shaymin. I'm gonna be sad if I have to play through Platinum just to get the Sky Forme though.

[quote name='Rocko']Am I behind here? Are they giving away Regigigas?[/quote]

In celebration of the 11th movie in japan, everyone attending gets a Regigigas. It's an even pokemon. I imagine they'll do the same over here so that we'll be able to obtain Regice, Regirock and Registeel in-game as well.

[quote name='Rocko']Interesting.

I had no idea there were 10 Pokemon movies.[/quote]

Yeah, most of them either had limited theatre runs (VERY limited) or just went straight to home video.

They still have giveaways and put on events for the release of the movies in japan though.

There are six Pokemon in this series that can only be obtained through events and they decide to give out a Pokemon most people can already get? (I'm not counting Mew, Lugia and Ho-oh since they're available in console games) Very, very lame. What's next? Mewtwo downloads?

[quote name='DQT']There are six Pokemon in this series that can only be obtained through events and they decide to give out a Pokemon most people can already get? (I'm not counting Mew, Lugia and Ho-oh since they're available in console games) Very, very lame. What's next? Mewtwo downloads?[/quote]

Are you daft? Event Pokemon have unique things about them, from items (either a berry or something hard to get) or moves not learnable by usual means.

bread's done
Back