Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

Looks like Universal has dropped all extras from this release. Only thing present is U-Control, Commentary and My Scenes. I'll pop my copy in later to see if the "missing" features are present during U-Control...but it would suck to lose the Deleted scenes and Alternate ending.

Originally it was announced with (along with the DVD)
Extras will include: "Audio Commentary with writer/director Michael McCullers and actors Tina Fey and Amy Poehler,"
"From Conception to Delivery: The Making of Baby Mama," a "Saturday Night Live: Legacy of Laughter" featurette, "Deleted Scenes," and an "Alternate Ending."

So many movies coming out from now until the end of the year. Right now my most anticipated is Wall E since I haven't seen it and I know how good Pixar looks on the Blu combined with the praise the movie itself got.

[quote name='nyprimus4']So many movies coming out from now until the end of the year. Right now my most anticipated is Wall E since I haven't seen it and I know how good Pixar looks on the Blu combined with the praise the movie itself got.[/quote]

Do we know when Wall-E is coming?

[quote name='nyprimus4']So many movies coming out from now until the end of the year. Right now my most anticipated is Wall E since I haven't seen it and I know how good Pixar looks on the Blu combined with the praise the movie itself got.[/QUOTE]

Trust me when I say this that Wall-E is just an amazing film. You won't be let down.

[quote name='shrike4242']Gizmo, bolding something is [ b ] and [ / b ] tags, not that HTML stuff you were tossing out there. ;)[/QUOTE]

Haha. I was at work and the tags don't work with my proxy....thought it was HTML coding :lol: I'll fix it and change things around a bit tomorrow.

Postal seems to be online only for now. I haven't seen it anywhere. I've been told by a few different retail stores that they'll get it in on September 9th.

I only picked up Nightmare Before Christmas and What Happens In Vegas this week, bringing my count up to a measly 51. I also picked up Sum of All Fears this past week for $12 used.Like I've said before, having a mom and pop shop that price all new BR movies at $19.99 doesn't help the situation.. there's a lot of impulse buys. I still have quite a few sealed BR movies (Cruel Intentions, Dark City, Narnia, Natural Born Killers, Jumper, Disturbia)

Next week.. TRANSFORMERS!

So there's a 2 disc and a 3 disc Wall-E?

Edit: Ok, so apparently the DVD is 3 disc and the BR is 2 disc? Amazon is confusing me because I think they are mixing the two up in their pre-order descriptions.

The 2 disc is $24.95 and the 3 disc is $27.95 right now. I was tempted to order the $24.95 one, but the $27.95 one falls more in line with their new BR release prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC there is are four total versions of Wall-E coming out, 2 BDs and 2 DVDs.

From The Digital Bits

[FONT=arial, helvetica, courier, *]There will be a single-disc DVD (SRP $29.99), a 3-Disc Special Edition DVD (SRP $39.99), a 2-Disc Blu-ray edition (SRP $35.99) and a 3-Disc Blu-ray Edition (SRP $40.99). The single-disc DVD will include the Presto animated short, the all new Burn-E animated short, audio commentary with director Andrew Stanton, deleted scenes, the Animation Sound Design: Building Worlds from the Sound Up featurette with Ben Burtt and the Sneak Peek: WALL-E's Tour of the Universe featurette. To this, the 3-Disc Special Edition DVD will add additional deleted scenes, 3 featurettes (The Pixar Story by Leslie Iwerks, BnL Shorts and Wall-E's Treasures and Trinkets), the Lots of Bots storybook, additional "making of" featurettes, Bot Files and a Disney File (Digital Copy) version of the film. The 2-Disc Blu-ray edition will include all of the above (minus the Digital Copy) and will add a Geek Track viewing option, the Cine-Explore with Andrew Stanton feature, PiP enhancement of Burn-E with storyboards, and an Axiom Arcade suite of "retro style videogames with a twist." The 3-Disc Blu-ray will have all that and also include a Disney File (Digital Copy) version of the film[/FONT]

Haven't seen Wall-E yet but I'm interested in it if the price is right (I'm such a cheap bastid!)

as for the latest release list I want Outbreak. Loaned my DVD copy to friends and... like most DVD/CD loans, they never came back. Robotech is tempting for that nostalgia-ness :applause:

[quote name='Scorch']Postal seems to be online only for now. I haven't seen it anywhere. I've been told by a few different retail stores that they'll get it in on September 9th.![/QUOTE]

I was able to get a copy at Best Buy and possibly the only copy the store purchased.

Just got the official press release from Disney about the Platinum BD releases...

Pinocchio, the beloved story of a wooden puppet who wants to become a real boy, comes to Platinum Edition DVD and Disney Blu-ray in spring 2009. Disney's second full-length animated movie, Pinocchio won two Oscars®, one for Best Score and another for the unforgettable song "When You Wish upon a Star.” It returns for the first time since 2002.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, honored with a special Academy Award® for screen innovation this movie has been unavailable since 2001. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Platinum Edition will be released in the fall of 2009.

Walt Disney’s experimental masterpiece Fantasia won two honorary Oscars for its innovative use of animation and music. Most recently released in 2000, the restored and remastered Fantasia Platinum Edition will be available in 2010. Alongside this release, a newly restored and remastered Fantasia 2000 Platinum Edition, will be available. Fantasia 2000 begins where its predecessor, Fantasia, left off, with seven completely new segments and the return of the popular “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice”, featuring breathtaking images coupled with classical music favorites.

In conjunction with these releases, Destino, the unfinished animated feature film created by Walt Disney and famed surrealist painter Salvador Dali will release. Begun in 1946, it was rediscovered in 2003 and completed by Walt’s nephew, Roy E. Disney. The collaboration between these two legendary artists will be available to own for the first time along with an all-new feature-length documentary that examines the surprising partnership between Dali and Disney.

Beauty and the Beast, the only animated film ever nominated for an Academy Award® for Best Picture, earned a breathtaking six Academy Award® nominations and won two Oscars®. Beauty in the Beast Platinum Edition will be available in fall 2010.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Just got the official press release from Disney about the Platinum BD releases...[/QUOTE]

Spring 2009 before the first release and 2010 before Fantasia? :cry:

Has there been any talk of a double dip on Hoosiers? I was looking at the first and the extras had the trailer...that's it. None of the extras from the CE DVD. It's been a year and a half since the BD release and I'm hoping for a real one that has the extras on it.

Superman: Doomsday coming to :br: November 28
original.jpeg

Finally! I know most have said its horrible, but I still want it.

No way I am double-dibbing on that one. I was so disappointed by it. Huge Superman fan, and the Death/Return storyline was what got me into comics, but damn, that movie stunk up the joint.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']No way I am double-dibbing on that one. I was so disappointed by it. Huge Superman fan, and the Death/Return storyline was what got me into comics, but damn, that movie stunk up the joint.[/quote]Cartoon Network had it on a few weeks back and I Tivo'd it. Glad I didn't buy it, 'cause it was on the bad side, yes.

[quote name='shrike4242']Cartoon Network had it on a few weeks back and I Tivo'd it. Glad I didn't buy it, 'cause it was on the bad side, yes.[/quote]

Indeed. I understand it would be quite difficult for them to jam the entire Death and Return story into one movie, but they didn't even try. The most disappointing thing about it was the fight with Doomsday. It was over before it started. The only thing redeeming about the whole purchase was the featurette about the development of the Death of Superman. That was good. The movie was awful.

I'll be selling my PS3 soon, but holding onto most of my Blu-rays.

Think I should look into a cheap player, or wait and see if the next xbox has blu support?

[quote name='seanr1221']or wait and see if the next xbox has blu support?[/quote]

sure, if you are willing to wait at least 2 years to watch any of your movies

[quote name='seanr1221']Think I should look into a cheap player, or wait and see if the next xbox has blu support?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

[quote name='seanr1221']I'll be selling my PS3 soon, but holding onto most of my Blu-rays.

Think I should look into a cheap player, or wait and see if the next xbox has blu support?[/QUOTE]

Its not a matter of whether Microsoft wants 360 Blu Ray, its whether Sony would want them to have it. With the best selling Blu Ray player (and worst selling console oddly enough) being the PS3 they wouldn't want to shoot themselves in the foot on letting Microsoft put Blu Ray in the 360, they'd simply lose too many PS3 sales.

[quote name='seanr1221']I'll be selling my PS3 soon, but holding onto most of my Blu-rays.

Think I should look into a cheap player, or wait and see if the next xbox has blu support?[/quote]
Why would you be selling your PS3 anyways? It is one of the cheapest Blu-Ray players out there. Sure, there are cheaper ones, but they exclude many things that would not make it worth the purchase (no ethernet, no upgrade). I think Samsung or some other company is releasing a fairly comparable BD Player, but I remember seeing that it was roughly the same price as a PS3.

Ah, you choice though. I'm with the others in saying that you shouldn't hold your breath for a Blu-Ray Xbox 360. If you are talking about the "next" Xbox, then I wouldn't know. My guess is that they might include it, but you are going to wait another 3-5 years until it comes out (my guess obviously).

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I think he was talking about the next Xbox console, not a 360 with a Blu-ray drive. Also, Sony isn't the only ones with a voice in Blu-ray.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, still, don't hold you're breath. I think we are more likely to see a DVD/Download hybrid system then Microsoft putting a Blu-ray player in. But who knows.

Think I should look into a cheap player, or wait and see if the next xbox has blu support?[/QUOTE]

If it were me, I would definitely start looking for a standalone player. That $330 combo player Gizmo was pimping would be a good pick.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Its not a matter of whether Microsoft wants 360 Blu Ray, its whether Sony would want them to have it. With the best selling Blu Ray player (and worst selling console oddly enough) being the PS3 they wouldn't want to shoot themselves in the foot on letting Microsoft put Blu Ray in the 360, they'd simply lose too many PS3 sales.[/QUOTE]

It isn't just Sony's decision and I imagine that everybody else in the Blu-Ray Association (including studios) would be beyond pissed if they turned away a system that could possibly help them get Blu-Ray into another 19 million homes (that is if the next Xbox does as good as the 360)

[quote name='Sporadic']It isn't just Sony's decision and I imagine that everybody else in the Blu-Ray Association (including studios) would be beyond pissed if they turned away a system that could possibly help them get Blu-Ray into another 19 million homes (that is if the next Xbox does as good as the 360)[/quote]

exactly...plus, isnt Microsoft's VC-1 codec part of blu-ray?

Universal and Paramount use VC1...I don't think any other studio does (or not as much as the two I mentioned). Universal is still cranking out new VC1 releases (Heroes Season 2, Baby Mama)

Postal:
[quote name='Midnite']I was able to get a copy at Best Buy and possibly the only copy the store purchased.[/QUOTE]

Well how was it?!

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Its not a matter of whether Microsoft wants 360 Blu Ray, its whether Sony would want them to have it. With the best selling Blu Ray player (and worst selling console oddly enough) being the PS3 they wouldn't want to shoot themselves in the foot on letting Microsoft put Blu Ray in the 360, they'd simply lose too many PS3 sales.[/quote]

Problem with that is Sony isn't Bluray. BDA is in place to 'prevent' any of that. It's more MS's decision than it would be Sony's and yes, Sony does controls more of the Bluray market than anyone else. I also highly doubt you'ld see any BD version of the 360 anytime soon.

I'm missing alot of movies at the theater , now that I have 2 children [3mo and 4yr] .

I'm going to blind buy alot of Blu-Rays because of this .

I wasn't talking about the 360, I was talking about the next xbox, like I said.

Sporadic, link to that 300ish player? I'd be selling my ps3 for 500, so with proper deals, I could get a good amount of blu-rays with that extra money.

Think I should look into a cheap player, or wait and see if the next xbox has blu support?[/quote]

Next xbox might be 3 years out from now. You can pick up an Insignia player for $250 and if you wait till Xmas, you might find a black friday blu-ray player for $200 or less. But why are you selling your ps3?

Edit- I believe there is a $50 gift card with the insignia and there's a $100 coupon (good for blurays) in the box. That's a pretty good deal- $200 for a player and you get to pick about 3 or so blu-rays for free.

f_bluraycoupon_080608.gif

spacer.gif

with this Insignia® Blu-ray Disc player
When you buy our Insignia® NS-BRDVD Blu-ray Disc player, you'll receive this special book of valuable coupons inside the box. Redeem the coupons at your local Best Buy store for $100 in instant savings on a great collection of Blu-ray Disc movies from Disney, Touchstone and Miramax.

[quote name='seanr1221']I wasn't talking about the 360, I was talking about the next xbox, like I said.

Sporadic, link to that 300ish player? I'd be selling my ps3 for 500, so with proper deals, I could get a good amount of blu-rays with that extra money.[/QUOTE]

You don't think you will get $400 for just the PS3, right? I've had my 60GB on Craigslist now for a month with a free BD remote and HDMI cable and can't even sell that for $440. I'll take a bit cheaper, but some people think $250 is a good deal:lol:

bread's done
Back