Windows 7 Beta Discussion

plasticbathmonki

CAGiversary!
http://www.pcworld.com/article/156624/steve_ballmers_state_of_microsoft_keynote_at_ces_2009.html

Tomorrow, MS will let the general public download and try the upcoming version of Windows. Steve Ballmer said today in the opening keynote for CES that this will be the "nearly final beta" version. There will only be 2.5 million beta licenses released, so this is definitely first come, first served.

While I'm not sure that I'm brave enough to try any new version of Windows right out of the gate, I figure it might be fun to give the new model a test drive (if I can beat the legions that will also try to DL it).

I still wish that one day, Linux and the gaming world will unite at last....but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm a technet member and I've had a recent beta version for a few weeks now. In a 2.0ghz Core 2 Duo with 1gig of RAM it boots in 30 secs.

The UAC slider is nice too. I think its completely the right direction.

I'm going to try and grab it. We'll see.

Is this going live at midnight?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gonna try to grab it, though are there ways to install it with out installing over Vista? I tried installing what darthbudge posted above, but it apparently doesn't like to work on my x64 system. Any ideas as to what I can use?

What's the best way to try this out without affecting my current Vista setup? Some sort of virtual PC feature or partition of some sort? Sorry if I sound stupid, I never done this type of stuff before.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']What's the best way to try this out without affecting my current Vista setup? Some sort of virtual PC feature or partition of some sort? Sorry if I sound stupid, I never done this type of stuff before.[/quote]
Either a copy of Virtual PC, or VMWare. I personally recommend VMWare. I use it currently to have virtual copies of Windows XP, Ubuntu, and even a copy of OS X Leopard (although that one was a pain in the butt to set up).

On a different note, where do we go to download Windows 7? I'd really like a license!

[quote name='LinkinPrime']What's the best way to try this out without affecting my current Vista setup? Some sort of virtual PC feature or partition of some sort? Sorry if I sound stupid, I never done this type of stuff before.[/quote]

Check out a program called VirtualBox.

It is really easy to use, if you want, hit me up on AIM if you have any questions.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Thanks Yoda.

It's supposed to be available here according to slickdeals:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/

EDIT: I might hit you up after work Budge...thanks.[/quote]
Feel free to IM me as well if you need it. It's always fun helping someone work out the bugs in something to get it to work. I've never used Virtual Box, but I have used the Windows 7 Alpha that was available, so I can answer general questions about that, along with questions about installing Windows 7 and setting things up. I think I might try Virtual Box as well, just to see how it compares to VMWare.

I think I may go with Windows Virtual PC 2007...I've been reading up on it seems pretty solid and it is a MS product. Any particular reason why you guys are going with other products like, VMWare, VirtualBox...etc.?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I think I may go with Windows Virtual PC 2007...I've been reading up on it seems pretty solid and it is a MS product. Any particular reason why you guys are going with other products like, VMWare, VirtualBox...etc.?[/quote]
Well, I use VMWare because I got it for free, and it seems to have better support for products outside of the Windows line. I have used Virtual PC in the past, and it worked well for Windows things, but it was a bit harder to configure it to work with Linux like I wanted. That was back when I was using VPC 2003 however, so things may have changed since then.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I think I may go with Windows Virtual PC 2007...I've been reading up on it seems pretty solid and it is a MS product. Any particular reason why you guys are going with other products like, VMWare, VirtualBox...etc.?[/quote]

I just recently started trying out VirtualBox. It is made by Sun Microsystems and is free software. I actually got it, because I want to install OpenSolaris, and I figured it would have the best capability for that.

I have Windows Virtual PC 2007 too, so I could help with that also.

For some reason, I think WVPC2007 will only run on Vista Ultimate though...

[quote name='darthbudge']I just recently started trying out VirtualBox. It is made by Sun Microsystems and is free software. I actually got it, because I want to install OpenSolaris, and I figured it would have the best capability for that.

I have Windows Virtual PC 2007 too, so I could help with that also.

For some reason, I think WVPC2007 will only run on Vista Ultimate though...[/quote]

The Virtual PC application requires a 400 MHz Pentium-compatible processor (1.0 GHz or faster recommended), and requires approximately 35 MB of disk space. It runs on Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows XP Professional, or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, Windows Vista SP1 (Enterprise, Business, Ultimate), Windows XP SP3.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/overview.mspx

:whistle2:k I think you're right...I have Vista Home Premium....guess I won't be able to use it then.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/overview.mspx

:whistle2:k I think you're right...I have Vista Home Premium....guess I won't be able to use it then.[/QUOTE]

Microsoft has said that the list of supported OSs is a list that they can provide support to. The software will run on home premium, but they won't provide support for it if you have a problem with it.

I also have Home Premium, and it doesn't work on mine.

ive had issues using a 64 bit os with virtual pc.. (even though i supposedly have the 64 bit version of virtual pc)

good thing i have hard drives laying around..

Can always use GParted or a similar utility to resize your partitions if you have free hard drive space. It's got a nice graphical interface too.

I left 100GB or so free on my new machine's hard drive, so I'll have to get the triple boot XP/Vista/Windows 7 going.

If I can get in and grab it I'll give it a try. Is there anything out there that mentions what the minimum system requirements of Windows 7 will be or a timeframe that this will be posted on the MS site?

SON OF A BITCH!!

God dam it, it's like what they did with ME and XP. They release that piece of buggy shit called ME to hold everyone over til XP was released a year later. GRRRRR. :bomb::bomb::bomb:

So far, Vista on my new machine is stable..and I boot in under a minute. Do we need a boot in 30 seconds OS anyways? Just as long as it's not 5 to 10 minutes to boot, then I am good.

I haven't had any problems with Vista, not sure what all the complaints are about but I wouldn't mind giving 7 a shot...after all it's free.

I will give this a try on my laptop. I used it to test Vista before I switched over on my main PC so it should be able to handle Windows 7.

After doing a little more reading I just noticed this.

"Also, another important thing to keep in mind is that the Windows 7 Beta will expire on August 1st, 2009."

Here's some useful info I found:

If you loved XP over Vista, you may want to check these two articles out. The articles are pointing out some key differences XP users may find hard to adjust to W7. But that doesn't mean you should not try the beta yourself)

1. http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=63...rbxccnbzd1

2. http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=...rbxccnbzd1

If you pay for an MSDN or Technet subscription, it's available for download right now! Go to the download center on MSDN and look under Operating Systems.

The minimum requirements for running Windows 7 are a PC with a 1 Ghz processor, 1GB of RAM, 16 GB of disk space, 128MB of video memory and support for DX9 graphics.

More Links:
http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/01/07/information-on-downloading-and-installing-windows-7-beta.aspx
http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_beta_available.asp

ISO size
x86 - en_windows_7_beta_dvd_x86_x15-29073.iso - 2,497.48 (MB)
x64 - en_windows_7_beta_dvd_x64_x15-29074.iso - 3,230.10 (MB)

32 bit - 2.44gb
64 bit - 3.15gb

The Windows 7 Beta ISO can be used to either 1) install in an empty HD Primary Partition, or 2) upgrade an existing Windows Vista SP1 install to Windows 7 Beta. No other upgrade path is possible with this ISO.

If you don’t want to mess-up your existing operating system, try running it on a free Virtual Machine without messing up existing operating system. VirtualBox is an open source general-purpose full virtualizer software ( create virtual machines ) for x86 hardware. This is a free alternative to commercial software like VMware, Virtual PC, Parallels. This runs on Windows, Linux, Solaris, OS X Macs.

Download and Install VirtualBox from http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads and create a Virtual Machine ( Vista ) and mount the downloaded Windows 7 beta ISO and rock on.
Once the OS is up and running, install VirtualBox Guest Additions to get proper graphics and mouse integration. VirtualBox does not support Windows 7 drivers, so You must install Guest Additions in compatibility mode. ( Open CD Drive and select properties for VBoxWindowsAdditions-x86 and in Compatibility tab ’select “Run this program in compatibility mode for in Windows Vista”.

Virtual PC 2007 download

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=1116187

I consider every version of Windows 'Beta' until it's been out at least 2 years.

I'm going to buy a new laptop soon, and that will be my first experience with Vista.

From what they have shown that I have seen this is all crap that should have just been put as updates. I see no point to sell a new version of windows. IDTEFX is correct in saying this is just like the ME XP thing.

The main reason they are doing Windows 7 is to get rid of all the negativity people might have against Vista even though it is just Vista with some updates. I did not switch over my PC to Vista till SP1 came out and other then a few minor annoyances, have not had much trouble with it. The tweaks to the UAC are what I am looking forward to the most with Windows 7 as those pop ups can get annoying.

[quote name='Chitown021']If I can get in and grab it I'll give it a try. Is there anything out there that mentions what the minimum system requirements of Windows 7 will be or a timeframe that this will be posted on the MS site?[/quote]

here ya go

[quote name='Microsoft CES 09']The minimum recommended hardware for the beta includes a 1GHz processor, 1GB of system memory, 16GB of available disk space and support for DX9 graphics with 128MB of memory (to enable the Aero theme), Microsoft said. The recommendations may change for the final product, it said.[/quote]

I think one of the biggest issues with Vista is the fact that it's a frickin' resource whore. I have an older machine and XP works like a champ. I've gotten two free copies of Vista Ultimate and have yet to install either of them b/c I'm afraid ti will bog down my PC.

I would consider downloading it, that is if it didn't have the UI changes. I think I am fine with XP's UI and don't need change. I find Vista hell to navigate through on my GF's laptop, and I am sure this will be no change.

[quote name='guyver2077']installing :) - im pumped[/quote]

How long did it take for the torrent? I'm gonna try my hand at DL'ing it tomorrow, but I imagine alot of us will go this route :\

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']How long did it take for the torrent? I'm gonna try my hand at DL'ing it tomorrow, but I imagine alot of us will go this route :\[/quote]

took a few hours.. put it to dl sometime this early afternoon.. finished about an hr ago. it should get faster as more ppl dl it or slower as more ppl realize its out

few tidbits-

1. I think overall the install took up about the same or less space as Vista.
2- boot up pretty damn fast for me (no more loading bar but an animated image)
3- max system rating increased to 7.9 (hell yea)

LOL. maximizing my windows score was always an addiction in vista. I was so proud when i hit 5.9 overall.

Now i have no doubt though that its testing your hardware better to achieve a score. To max out you would prob need an i7 and ddr3.

and im stuck at 5.9 again :(

[quote name='silent h3ro']My 7200RPM hdd is the only thing holding back my full 5.9 score in Vista. Do you have an SSD in your PC?[/quote]

i am running windows 7 currently on my ssd and even then its still only scoring 6.3

My vista setup though even with my 7200 rpm seagate i still get 5.9 in the hdd rating

Is it up for everyone else? I hit the site but it's getting hammered...had it open for 10min and nothing comes up regarding where to DL.

To those who have grabbed it, can you confirm the size of the image? I found an x86 version for 2.8 gb.

And does it require a key?

Yeah, I haven't seen a download link yet either. Maybe they just haven't put it up yet? I'm also getting an x64 version from a different source that will be around 3gb or so. And Liquid 2, I believe it does need a key, although there already appear to be cracks for that.

It says on the Windows 7 site that it will be released this afternoon, which probably means this afternoon PST.

I'm getting 503 errors on the Windows 7 site and a really bad slowdown on the main MS site. Bets on how many times their Web server will crash before the end of the day???

[quote name='ITDEFX']SON OF A BITCH!!

God dam it, it's like what they did with ME and XP. They release that piece of buggy shit called ME to hold everyone over til XP was released a year later. GRRRRR. :bomb::bomb::bomb:

So far, Vista on my new machine is stable..and I boot in under a minute. Do we need a boot in 30 seconds OS anyways? Just as long as it's not 5 to 10 minutes to boot, then I am good.[/QUOTE]

A bit different this time around. Unlike ME, Vista is actually a rock solid OS, and 7 is built on the same kernel as Vista, so to a large degree they are the same OS. That's why it's coming out so quickly, and will have a much smoother launch. We won't have to wait for companies to get off their asses and make working drivers.

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']It says on the Windows 7 site that it will be released this afternoon, which probably means this afternoon PST.

I'm getting 503 errors on the Windows 7 site and a really bad slowdown on the main MS site. Bets on how many times their Web server will crash before the end of the day???[/quote]
Yeah, that afternoon bit makes sense. I'll check again around noon PST. And yeah, I'm getting 503's as well. Sounds like the server has already crashed :D

bread's done
Back