Windows 7 Beta Discussion

I like Vista, and from what I can tell this should be a damn update rather than a whole new operating system.

At least I was able to get Vista for free... by the time Windows 7 comes out I'll probably be ready to format and throw that on there.

Yeah like a few of you guys here I also got Vista for free. I would have never bought it even if I had only the option to but 7 looks promising and it will be worth it from what I've heard.

Is Windows 7 supposed to be available to download at 12:00 PM PST (right now)?

[quote name='yukine']I like Vista, and from what I can tell this should be a damn update rather than a whole new operating system.

At least I was able to get Vista for free... by the time Windows 7 comes out I'll probably be ready to format and throw that on there.[/QUOTE]
Yep they could have easily made this Vista SP2. Same damn kernel, same damn file system, same damn drivers. MS wants your money!

im curious though as to the driver difference..

for example im using supposedly special nvidia drivers for windows 7 but will the latest vista drivers work too?

even so.. with the latest 7 drivers.. 3d mark vantage score was lower than usual

hizzah! The IT guy in my office is DLing it me :) Looks like MS is giving 2 keys out. Hopefully, I'll have it before I leave work today.

[quote name='sendme']Just wondering how did some of you get vista for free?[/QUOTE]
Some people have Microsoft Technet or Microsoft Developer Network subscriptions where they'll get 5 or 10 keys for Vista, Office, etc... They might give out keys to their friends. I got a key for XP Pro from a buddy this way.

[quote name='sendme']Just wondering how did some of you get vista for free?[/quote]

I got mine through club.live.com. While it's free in that I didn't pay for it, it still takes time to earn enough points to get it.

[quote name='redline']Anyone else who has installed Windows 7 having problems connecting to Windows Update? I get error code 80072EE2.[/quote]

mines was updating fine last night.. not sure about today

So it hasn't "officially" started yet? I'm downloading the iso now and I think I'll do the virtual thing... I won't run into any issues if I throw it on my 'media' drive, will I?

It's started, but the servers are so messed up, the links give up and finish after a few hundred MB.

I think I'll just torrent the stupid thing.

[quote name='QiG']So it hasn't "officially" started yet? I'm downloading the iso now and I think I'll do the virtual thing... I won't run into any issues if I throw it on my 'media' drive, will I?[/quote]
You shouldn't. It simply makes a virtual hard drive and everything (basically, it makes a large file), so nothing can be overwritten or anything. I do it all the time.

[quote name='sendme']Just wondering how did some of you get vista for free?[/quote]

I got one copy from a MS survey thing several months back. Basically MS gave it to you for free if you agreed to install an application onto your PC so they could take statistics on your computer usage for 3 months.

I got another from the club.live thing.

[quote name='silent h3ro']I finished downloading and the installer told me I was missing some .dll file. WTH?[/quote]

A lot of people are downloading corrupted isos, as the download is failing This is more than likely because their website is getting hit so hard. The total file size should be around 3gb.

[quote name='ninja dog']something about beta testing an OS scares me...I think I'll wait for impressions and stuff.[/QUOTE]

What's scary to lose on a blank partition?

So, what I'm getting from this is that I can download this now (which I am doing) and just go back to the site to get a separate program for the key when it goes back up?

So what happens if you try to install the OS without a key? Or can you not even install it? (I would test it out but I am downloading it)

I installed without a key.

It doesn't seem to matter. I'm not getting a notification that I need to do anything.

Also, I'm in love with this OS.

os is nice.. worse case we will have to enter a key by 30 days.

i havent kept messing with it today... the win7 nvidia drivers didnt seem so good perfomance wise compared to latest vista driver..

maybe ill fire up gta4 on it and see what happs

I decided since I remembered I could visualize it I might as well try it under test conditions in a visualization program. What do you guys recommend, Virtual Box or Virtual PC?

I'm not really liking this more than Windows Vista. While it's still beta, I'm just not liking the way the options are and the lack of customization on some parts I can change in Vista and XP. Like how the hell do I remove that accursed recycle bin from my desktop in Windows 7? :cry:

[quote name='Draekon']I'm not really liking this more than Windows Vista. While it's still beta, I'm just not liking the way the options are and the lack of customization on some parts I can change in Vista and XP. Like how the hell do I remove that accursed recycle bin from my desktop in Windows 7? :cry:[/QUOTE]

That took 10 seconds for me to find.

Right click desktop ->Personalize -> Change desktop icons -> uncheck Recycle Bin

This OS is a lot nicer looking than Vista.

Finally installing a copy of Vista Business I've had for a while now (to a virtual machine) so I can grab Windows 7.

Like others, my Windows 7 download gets to a point and fails. Looks like I'm gonna have to grab the torrent.

[quote name='zewone']That took 10 seconds for me to find.

Right click desktop ->Personalize -> Change desktop icons -> uncheck Recycle Bin

This OS is a lot nicer looking than Vista.

[quote name='Draekon']
It really feels like this should be a service pack to Vista though.[/QUOTE]

Definitely, but there isn't much we can do about it. We can only hope that Microsoft does some sort of cheap upgrade program for Vista owners (doubtful).

[quote name='zewone']What's scary to lose on a blank partition?[/QUOTE]

good point. I cloned my HDD and couldn't make new partitions on it, so I'd have to do a full install, then risk losing my XP install (since I've used the key a few times and they seem to block them after they've been installed a bunch of times.)

Alright, so, I've downloaded 7, yay. What are some good Virtual Machine programs for x64 systems, I can't get VirtualBox to install for some reason, or should I just dual boot it (anyone else dual booting this)?

Anyone have a recommended browser for downloading it? Firefox stopped downloading it like 5% done each time. I will download it tomorrow because I am not downloading it overnight and having it stopped.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']For anyone trying to get their key, you can get it now, the site is just getting hammered. Follow the directions listed here:

http://blog.hznet.nl/2009/01/10/how-to-receive-a-valid-windows-7-key

For some people, they are getting a key after a few minutes, others have been trying for hours and got nothing. I just got my x64 key though with the help of a Firefox plugin: check4change. Good luck.[/quote]

Hmm both of the links on that site aren't working for me and giving me an error that the page i requested isn't there anymore.

Is this working for any one else?

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']For anyone trying to get their key, you can get it now, the site is just getting hammered. Follow the directions listed here:

http://blog.hznet.nl/2009/01/10/how-to-receive-a-valid-windows-7-key

For some people, they are getting a key after a few minutes, others have been trying for hours and got nothing. I just got my x64 key though with the help of a Firefox plugin: check4change. Good luck.[/quote]

Yea I have been getting the error for 10 straight minutes :bomb:

I guess I will take a break and try again soon

I have had no luck getting a key but you can install Windows 7 in trial mode so I am going to give it a shot on my laptop. Hopefully they sort out their problems as I would like to be able to activate it at some point.

[quote name='chodax']Yea I have been getting the error for 10 straight minutes :bomb:

I guess I will take a break and try again soon[/QUOTE]

10 minutes is nothing, people have been trying for 10 hours and got nothing yet.

Heh, tried going through Firefox for those product key links and it would always direct me to some other part of Microsoft. Went ahead and tried in Avant Browser (IE Mod) and I got both the first try.

bread's done
Back